Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 05-26-2009, 7:26 PM

Default Going to MCRD June 1st

Well ship dates almost here, I've been in the DEP since middle of Nov. last year waiting to get my braces of - did that last week.

I'm looking for some first hand info from any calgunner Marines on here that I haven't been able to glean from my recruiters.
The contract that got drawn up for me has me in a program called 'Command and Control - Electrician' Program code is F8, and apparently the MOS' that covers are Comm. (0600) and Utilities (1100 I think).
Anybody out there active or recently active in either of the fields? There are about 26 jobs in those two MOS' but the descriptions are sparse and pretty uninformative. I've been looking heavily into the Satellite communications jobs, but all I've heard is "Those are tough to get into, do good in MCT and you might be able to pick it".

My first choice was Light Armor Recon, but that has been full up since January and they aren't accepting anymore people this year. Just found out about that about a month ago.

Thats about it, just trying to get my last few questions answered before I sign on the dotted line.

Last edited by edward; 05-26-2009 at 7:52 PM.. Reason: For proper capitalization
Old 05-26-2009, 7:38 PM

First off... capitalize that "M" in "Marine". Second off, a mos designator number might help. Just some tips

Oh yeah... I don't have any insight on either of those MOS's, but once you choose it and have it all finaled out, don't worry about it when you get to boot camp. Focus on the task at hand since that's what Marines do.
Old 05-26-2009, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
First off... capitalize that "M" in "Marine". Second off, a mos designator number might help. Just some tips

Oh yeah... I don't have any insight on either of those MOS's, but once you choose it and have it all finaled out, don't worry about it when you get to boot camp. Focus on the task at hand since that's what Marines do.
Points well taken.
Old 05-26-2009, 7:51 PM

Good luck, and thanks for your future service!

Boot camp is hard, but just "play the game" and try to learn as much as you can.
Old 05-26-2009, 8:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Good luck Poole,
Memorize your 11 general orders yet?
move fast no excuses!
Old 05-26-2009, 9:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Either way , Anything in that field would still be a Good MOS. If I was you I would concentrate into making it trough bootcamp and earning the title of UNITED STATES MARINE!!
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
Good luck Poole,
Memorize your 11 general orders yet?
move fast no excuses!
Yes Sir!
Old 05-27-2009, 3:02 AM

I think my buddy was in the 1100 MOS, I'll give him a call and see what he says. Other then that, just listen to what your told and do it correct and quickly you'll do just fine. Oh and MCT plays no roll in determining what MOS you get into, its just a shorter version of what the Infantry does cause the Corps says "Every Marine is a rifleman". Your Recruiter should be able to tell you exactly what MOS your gonna be in before you sign paperwork, mine told me what MOS I was gonna be in when he went over the contract when I signed it...of course I had two other options I had to enter in just in case the one I wanted was full. Good Luck with Boot Camp and getting the MOS you want.

You dont need a bigger gun, you just need more AMMO!!!

Mosin Nagant 91/30
M1 Garand
XD Tactical .45
Mossberg 500A Persuader
Looking for complete Bushmaster AR15 20" 5.56/.223 flattop with A2 stock

Last edited by UncleSamsMisguidedChild; 05-27-2009 at 3:04 AM.. Reason: info
Old 05-27-2009, 7:09 AM

Congrats,

I just googled "mos 0600" and saw a bunch of info if u havent tried yet.

U are doing the right thing and asking former jarheads for info. Some recruiters arent exactly forthcoming with info.

Semper Fi
Old 05-27-2009, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward View Post
Well ship dates almost here, I've been in the DEP since middle of Nov. last year waiting to get my braces of - did that last week.

I'm looking for some first hand info from any calgunner Marines on here that I haven't been able to glean from my recruiters.
The contract that got drawn up for me has me in a program called 'Command and Control - Electrician' Program code is F8, and apparently the MOS' that covers are Comm. (0600) and Utilities (1100 I think).
Anybody out there active or recently active in either of the fields? There are about 26 jobs in those two MOS' but the descriptions are sparse and pretty uninformative. I've been looking heavily into the Satellite communications jobs, but all I've heard is "Those are tough to get into, do good in MCT and you might be able to pick it".

My first choice was Light Armor Recon, but that has been full up since January and they aren't accepting anymore people this year. Just found out about that about a month ago.

Thats about it, just trying to get my last few questions answered before I sign on the dotted line.
Welcom aboard! Keep motivated and stay focused. Being called Marine at the end makes it all worth while. During SOI(ITB), we were asked what was our "wish list" for the fields within the 03's such as 1)0311, 2)0331, 3)0341 and so on. Luckily I was given 0311 as requested. Maybe that is what the recruiter was talking about? Good luck and Semper Fi!
Old 05-27-2009, 8:30 AM

what are you waiting for? just get yer *** to boot camp-and hopefully make it through-you may have other ideas about what you want to do once your in-my self I joined w/similar mos as you (I forget the MOS) but failed the school and then in "violation" of contract they decided that I would be a Radio Operator-however, upon entering the "fleet" they realized my talent would be better used as an PMI (primary marksmanship instructor) so don't worry about MOS just worry about the task at hand-best of luck to you-and don't sweat the small stuff
Old 05-27-2009, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caditech View Post
what are you waiting for? just get yer *** to boot camp-and hopefully make it through-you may have other ideas about what you want to do once your in-my self I joined w/similar mos as you (I forget the MOS) but failed the school and then in "violation" of contract they decided that I would be a Radio Operator-however, upon entering the "fleet" they realized my talent would be better used as an PMI (primary marksmanship instructor) so don't worry about MOS just worry about the task at hand-best of luck to you-and don't sweat the small stuff

When and where? Just wanted to know. I was at Edson Range, '02-'05, and some at MTU, '05, in Camp Horno.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:14 AM

I have to disagree with some of the post here. Boot camp is 13 weeks and MCT 3 weeks. Then you will go off to MOS school and you will probably be with your unit for the rest of your enlistment. Pick a job that you want.

I signed up for the 5800 field which is military police. Little did I know 5811 was the actual "military police". The first 2 numbers is the occupation and the last 2 numbers is the specialty. I got stuck with 5831 and spent almost 4 years working in the Brig.

You could wait until October as that is when the fiscal year starts over and try to get the most that you want.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Light Armored Reconassiance is 0313 - you need to be an 03 contract Marine to get it. You won't get selected for it in MCT (or whatever they call non-03 infantry training these days).
Old 05-27-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnones View Post
Light Armored Reconassiance is 0313 - you need to be an 03 contract Marine to get it. You won't get selected for it in MCT (or whatever they call non-03 infantry training these days).
Yeah, I was made aware of that. I'll do my best to clarify.

The Statement of Understanding I got lists my 'Primary Incentive' as Program code F8 - Command and Control - Electrician
On the side it says "Military Occupational fields in Option": 0600 (Communications) 1100 (Utilities).

I've asked if I can get a contract for pretty much any/every other combat arms job and the answer has always been "Can't do it, Full up for this year". I was thinking about waiting for October to come around so the quotas refill, but I don't want to wait that long.
Old 05-27-2009, 6:08 PM
Banned

If you want to go 0300, use some leverage. Tell the recruite you aren't going unless you get 0300. I scored high on my ASVAB and told my recruiter I wasn't going unless I had a guaranteed contract that would keep me in California for 4 years. If you have something the Corps wants, they'll put you in as an 0300 - it's often the field in need of the most recruits.
Old 05-27-2009, 6:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Tell your recruiter right now you want to go 03!
Old 05-27-2009, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnones View Post
If you want to go 0300, use some leverage. Tell the recruite you aren't going unless you get 0300. I scored high on my ASVAB and told my recruiter I wasn't going unless I had a guaranteed contract that would keep me in California for 4 years. If you have something the Corps wants, they'll put you in as an 0300 - it's often the field in need of the most recruits.
Tried it. I got a 98 on the ASVAB. I've already played the "If I can't get infantry, I'm out" card, his response was 'okay, theres the door'. They literally don't need anymore people. 20% over quota for this fiscal year. I have my choice between C&C or open contract... and theres no chance in hell I would go in open contract.
Old 05-27-2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Tried it. I got a 98 on the ASVAB. I've already played the "If I can't get infantry, I'm out" card, his response was 'okay, theres the door'. They literally don't need anymore people. 20% over quota for this fiscal year. I have my choice between C&C or open contract... and theres no chance in hell I would go in open contract.
go to another recruiting office

don't do open contract. I heard guys ***** and moan all the time about that one.
Old 05-27-2009, 8:19 PM

Default hmmm 03siries wide range of maybe even a "wire Dog"

on an other note: you mentioned intrest in satilite ops! my kid brother had this mos,not much room for rank structure but may have changed though, he then put in for a embassy duty packet and got it , says he`s glad he did lots of oprotunity 4 yrs of it, now with BW/security 3yrs come oct, either way welcome to the elite the Armed Forces kid brother. Best of luck to you.

Desert Vet 1/502 Infantry

Old 05-27-2009, 8:28 PM

Waiting a couple of months is worth it if you can get the MOS that you want.
Old 05-27-2009, 9:03 PM

Being a Comm Marine is great. You get to inventory every piece of comm equipment, set up our comm and computer networks, and fix all of our radios so us DASC Marines don't have to do it ourselves. , even though we may be capable of doing so. We also get to yell at you when there's no connectivity.

It's a little harder to promote unless you're something like a wireman, but you definitely get some good to go knowledge in radio and networking. Some of the smartest Marines I know work in Comm and data systems.

On boot camp: Always move fast. Pick up the game, life becomes really easy when you don't have to shave and hygiene by the numbers anymore.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 05-27-2009, 9:11 PM

Remember, if u don't want that job, you can always refuse to ship. Ignore the threats.
That said, if u want to do comms but still deploy with grunts, go 0621 as a radio op, and dont get stuck in a comm bn. U have a chance to go to a grunt unit. Either that, or go 2600/sigint and you have chances to do some very high speed **** while also utilizing your brain. Seeing how u smoked the asvab, u would be very useful in the 2600 field. Ask for a DD contract if u can, its 0200/2600.

Do good in MCT my ***. MCT is just three weeks of fun boyscout camp shooting guns and throwing m67 frags. Everything needs to be on paper before u ship. Also, don't wash out of anything; unless you're seriously broke don't get held back cause of a half assed injury. They can toss ur contract and send u somewhere else cause u failed to meet their requirements.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2009, 9:48 PM

Just rembember this phrase in Boot camp"Speed and intensity Recruit!"
Semper Fi! future Marine
+1 on do NOT wash out. Learn the diff between PAIN and BROKEN.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 PM

when u complete boot camp and go to MCT. if u still wanna go 0300 talk to them when u check in. to switch to ITB if ur still gungho about goin infantry. Why do u wanna go to a LAR unit? u like the Lav?
Old 05-28-2009, 5:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Congrats and best of luck to you.
Old 05-28-2009, 7:56 AM
Calguns Addict

"Drill instructa says" "LOUDAAAAAAA!!!!"

you say "aye sir!!"

"Drill instructa says" No rilly!!

you say "aye aye sir!!"

"Drill instructa says" "Eyeballs!!"

you say "Click sir!!"

"Drill instructa says" "Ears!!"

you say "Open sir!!"

"Drill instructa says"Do I look sweet and soft? Why you whipserin to me like a lil girl?!!"
Old 05-28-2009, 1:03 PM

Well, got some better news that sort of invalidates this thread.

I went to MEPS today for my pre-ship inspect and while thumbing through my service record book I found 2 SOU's that I signed near when I dep'd in. The first one was an open contract, and the second one, the one that is still technically current, is for Infantry

Signed it back in december and because I was under the impression at the time that the SOU was different from what an actual, complete contract would be, I didn't quite click with the fact that I've had an Infantry contract this entire time. (I know, stupid me right?)
I'm quite grateful I never signed the new one for Command & Control.

No perks or bonuses with this contract, but at least now I can do the job I joined the Corps to do.

Thanks for your input guys.

Semper Fi!
Old 05-28-2009, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
when u complete boot camp and go to MCT. if u still wanna go 0300 talk to them when u check in. to switch to ITB if ur still gungho about goin infantry. Why do u wanna go to a LAR unit? u like the Lav?
Yes, yes I do. I would love nothing more than to be in a fast moving, heavy-hitting light armor unit.
Old 05-28-2009, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Yes, yes I do. I would love nothing more than to be in a fast moving, heavy-hitting light armor unit.

i didnt like them at first cause im a lil taller, but they grow on you. youd prolly wanna be a scout. your active right?
Old 05-28-2009, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
i didnt like them at first cause im a lil taller, but they grow on you. youd prolly wanna be a scout. your active right?
Yeup. I'm 5'10", would I be bumping my head around?
Old 05-28-2009, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Well, got some better news that sort of invalidates this thread.

I went to MEPS today for my pre-ship inspect and while thumbing through my service record book I found 2 SOU's that I signed near when I dep'd in. The first one was an open contract, and the second one, the one that is still technically current, is for Infantry

Signed it back in december and because I was under the impression at the time that the SOU was different from what an actual, complete contract would be, I didn't quite click with the fact that I've had an Infantry contract this entire time. (I know, stupid me right?)
I'm quite grateful I never signed the new one for Command & Control.

No perks or bonuses with this contract, but at least now I can do the job I joined the Corps to do.

Thanks for your input guys.

Semper Fi!
Glad that it worked out the way you wanted it. Now, just concentrate on graduating boot camp and on to SOI/ITB. Hopefully, you can get orders for an LAR unit. Regardless, welcome to the Infantry!
Old 05-28-2009, 4:49 PM

Quote:
How about a heavy-hitting, fast moving, heavy armour unit? Marine Corps has tankers too, but they're a fairly select bunch. On the other hand, if you ever get tired of the full-time gig, you can always just transfer to the USMC Reserve tank battalion headquartered out of California. Not sure there are any LAR reserve units in the State.

BTW, I'm 6'5". Excess height in an armoured vehicle is just a mindset...

NTM

Last edited by Manic Moran; 05-28-2009 at 4:51 PM..
Old 05-28-2009, 5:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Brother in law is a PMI down there but has orders for the MC shooting team until August so I cant have him razz ya in second phase..do they still call it second phase?

Anyhow, dont take anything personally, its just the first deal to become a Marine.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 05-28-2009, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
Not sure there are any LAR reserve units in the State.
I'm sure there are. If there's reserve Recon units there must be reserve LAR units.
Old 05-28-2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
My Brother in law is a PMI down there but has orders for the MC shooting team until August so I cant have him razz ya in second phase..do they still call it second phase?

Anyhow, dont take anything personally, its just the first deal to become a Marine.
Yeah, its still called second phase. Can't wait for field week!
Old 05-28-2009, 5:58 PM

Good Luck future Marine! stay motivated.
Old 05-28-2009, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, its still called second phase. Can't wait for field week!
Good, I will be 39 in a couple weeks and that makes me feel young.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 05-28-2009, 9:18 PM

There is a LAV unit in CA, a prior service recruiter tried to get me to join that unit when I went to re-up my contract. So I would imagine they also have the LAR boys attatched to them.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM
Calguns Addict

volunteer for vampire during mess week/ chow hall.