Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-24-2009, 5:59 PM

Default A question regarding the PPT process

I'm currently active duty military and stationed out of state. While I'm on leave in June I'd like to transfer a firearm to one of my best friends, but I have no idea how to go about doing this. I don't even know whether or not it's even legal. I thought I'd consult the fine folks on this forum before I get myself into major trouble.

The firearm I'd like to transfer is a Saiga 7.62X39. I'm currently stationed in SD but my legal residency is still CA. My limited understanding of the process is that I have to be face to face with my friend in front of an FFL, pay their fee and the DROS fee. Since I'll be going back to LA it will be a 30 day wait period for him correct?

I've used the search function and looked at calgunlaws and I'm still utterly confused and have a few gaps that really need filling in my knowledge. Any feedback you fine folks can provide is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to get myself into incredibly major trouble with this.
Old 05-24-2009, 6:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Onebag View Post
My limited understanding of the process is that I have to be face to face with my friend in front of an FFL, pay their fee and the DROS fee. Since I'll be going back to LA it will be a 30 day wait period for him correct?
That's all you need to do. Make sure the gun is not an AW of course, which it shouldn't be if you bought it here. Also he only has to wait 10 days.

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 05-25-2009, 7:01 AM
Veteran Member

Two things I can think of if you can not wait for that 30 days before going back to CA:
1. Have an FFL that is registered with the CFLC send it to an FFL here in CA. Then your friend can DROS it through the latter FFL.

2. Find a CA FFL who accepts from Private Party Individual OOS and have your friend DROS'd.

Correct me if I am wrong.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Old 05-25-2009, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS View Post
That's all you need to do. Make sure the gun is not an AW of course, which it shouldn't be if you bought it here. Also he only has to wait 10 days.
Actually I bought it in South Dakota, but it doesn't have a pistol grip, no thumbhole stock, a 10 round magazine, no evil features of any kind. I still need to measure the barrel, but I'm sure it's over 16 inches.

Glockwise, some interesting options there. I'll have to look into them.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You have a few options.

First of all make sure it is not an assualt weapon. See the flowchart for more info.

There is a type of Saiga on the CA AW list, but only the ones that says "Klasnikov USA" any other type of Saiga(RAA, EAA) are fine as long as it meets the length and does not have any other prohibited features. If it is still in factory configuration you should be fine.

If you are a CA resident or have duty orders that station you in CA you can preform a Private Party Transfer with your friend at any FFL in California. The seller (you) only needs to show up once, the buyer will need to come back after ten days to pick up his gun. No further action is required by the seller, unless the buyers fails the background check. The legal maximum limit for this type of transfer is 35$

If you are unable to make it into CA, you can send your rifle to a CA FFL near the buyer. First have the buyer find an FFL near him who is willing to accept an out of state transfer as not all will. There is no legal price limit for this type of transfer, they usually range from 35$-100$ not including DROS.

Option #1 is much more simple, although not always possible as it requires both the seller and the buyer to show up in person.

-lorax

If you live in San Diego Please read this thread and apply now to obtain your San Diego License to Carry (CCW).

The information posted herein is not legal advice. If you seek legal advice contact an attorney who is familiar with all the facts of your case.

Last edited by lorax3; 05-25-2009 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-25-2009, 11:09 AM

Lorax, thanks very much for the clarification!

The Saiga I own is an RAA and is still stock factory condition with a 16 inch barrel. I believe option #1 will be best once I find an FFL willing to make the transfer as I am still legally a CA resident even though I have orders in South Dakota.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond and educate me in the proper procedure regarding PPT. I've never bought any firearms in CA so it's all very new to me.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
If you are a CA resident or have duty orders that station you in CA you can preform a Private Party Transfer with your friend at any FFL in California.
You don't actually need to be a resident of have orders, just a CA ID or DL (to sell).

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.