Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:57 PM

I'll post the news here:

Quote:
A beloved Highland convenience store owner, who rewarded good students with videos and gave food to cash-strapped customers, clung to life Thursday after he and a clerk were shot while complying with the demands of robbers.

The 25-year-old clerk, who recently graduated from pharmaceutical school, died Thursday afternoon.

Grieving customers left tributes outside the store throughout the day and crowded into the parking lot for an evening vigil, where the clerk's car still sat -- bouquets of flowers lodged in its slightly open sunroof.

"It's inhumane," said customer Cindy Sedivy. "It just makes me so mad. They gave them what they wanted and they still got shot."

The brutal shooting by two bandana-wearing men, who remained at large, raised the ire of fellow shopping center tenants, who said they have long demanded better security.

"There is a big security issue here," said Peter Michas, who owns the Kabob Palace, a free-standing restaurant in the complex in a south Highland business district.

"If we had a regular security patrol, cameras in the parking lot that worked and better lighting, this would not have happened," he said.

Richard Schindler, identified by Michas as the complex's owner, could not be reached for comment.

Armed Men

The shooting occurred about 9 p.m. Wednesday inside Cee Vee's Liquor Store at 7750 Palm Ave. The store also houses a deli and video rentals.

Two men, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun, walked in and demanded money, said Cindy Beavers, San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman.

Owner Steven Hall, 53, , and clerk Brian Gregorio handed the masked man standing nearest the door an unspecified amount of cash and Lotto tickets, Beavers said.

The other robber jumped over the counter and shot Hall and Gregorio before both robbers fled in a white sedan, Beavers said.

Beavers called the shootings senseless and said Hall and Gregorio did just what sheriff's officials recommend during a robbery.

"We tell people to comply. Hand over the money, because it's not worth your life. They did not resist in any way," she said, shaking her head.

A customer who entered the store almost immediately after the robbers left saw the injured men and called police, Beavers said.

Hall and Gregorio were taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center where Gregorio died about 2 p.m. Thursday. Hall remained on life support.

Mourners Gather

Store employees, customers and friends huddled in small groups outside the store throughout the day, clutching tissues, and exchanging hugs. At the evening vigil, hundreds of mourners listened, through frequent sniffles, to Highland Church of the Nazarene Assistant Pastor Rob Miner talk about the "love that came out" of the store daily -- love returned to the victims via messages scribbled on a makeshift memorial banner.

Personal notes such as "thanks for the batteries," shared space with other sentiments, "see you above." But Nicole Rush, a daily customer of the store for more than 12 years, couldn't muster the energy to add her thoughts.

"I can't even write, I'm shaking so bad," she told her husband.

Rush said Hall, who was not married, lived with and cared for his mother. She said he was about to build a house for her, and in recent days, had been showing the blueprints to customers.
They were complying. They didn't even put up a fight...
Old 03-19-2005, 11:57 PM

I'll post the news here:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">A beloved Highland convenience store owner, who rewarded good students with videos and gave food to cash-strapped customers, clung to life Thursday after he and a clerk were shot while complying with the demands of robbers.

The 25-year-old clerk, who recently graduated from pharmaceutical school, died Thursday afternoon.

Grieving customers left tributes outside the store throughout the day and crowded into the parking lot for an evening vigil, where the clerk's car still sat -- bouquets of flowers lodged in its slightly open sunroof.

"It's inhumane," said customer Cindy Sedivy. "It just makes me so mad. They gave them what they wanted and they still got shot."

The brutal shooting by two bandana-wearing men, who remained at large, raised the ire of fellow shopping center tenants, who said they have long demanded better security.

"There is a big security issue here," said Peter Michas, who owns the Kabob Palace, a free-standing restaurant in the complex in a south Highland business district.

"If we had a regular security patrol, cameras in the parking lot that worked and better lighting, this would not have happened," he said.

Richard Schindler, identified by Michas as the complex's owner, could not be reached for comment.

Armed Men

The shooting occurred about 9 p.m. Wednesday inside Cee Vee's Liquor Store at 7750 Palm Ave. The store also houses a deli and video rentals.

Two men, at least one of whom was armed with a handgun, walked in and demanded money, said Cindy Beavers, San Bernardino County sheriff's spokeswoman.

Owner Steven Hall, 53, , and clerk Brian Gregorio handed the masked man standing nearest the door an unspecified amount of cash and Lotto tickets, Beavers said.

The other robber jumped over the counter and shot Hall and Gregorio before both robbers fled in a white sedan, Beavers said.

Beavers called the shootings senseless and said Hall and Gregorio did just what sheriff's officials recommend during a robbery.

"We tell people to comply. Hand over the money, because it's not worth your life. They did not resist in any way," she said, shaking her head.

A customer who entered the store almost immediately after the robbers left saw the injured men and called police, Beavers said.

Hall and Gregorio were taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center where Gregorio died about 2 p.m. Thursday. Hall remained on life support.

Mourners Gather

Store employees, customers and friends huddled in small groups outside the store throughout the day, clutching tissues, and exchanging hugs. At the evening vigil, hundreds of mourners listened, through frequent sniffles, to Highland Church of the Nazarene Assistant Pastor Rob Miner talk about the "love that came out" of the store daily -- love returned to the victims via messages scribbled on a makeshift memorial banner.

Personal notes such as "thanks for the batteries," shared space with other sentiments, "see you above." But Nicole Rush, a daily customer of the store for more than 12 years, couldn't muster the energy to add her thoughts.

"I can't even write, I'm shaking so bad," she told her husband.

Rush said Hall, who was not married, lived with and cared for his mother. She said he was about to build a house for her, and in recent days, had been showing the blueprints to customers.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were complying. They didn't even put up a fight...
Old 03-20-2005, 12:02 AM

thats sad i heard that on the news.
Old 03-20-2005, 6:04 AM

I have a CCW. If it is ever not renewed, I will still carry. If you use a Smartcarry setup and a J frame, no one will ever know.

And, your family will never have to go through this.
Old 03-20-2005, 8:12 AM

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I though it was legal to have in a gun in your place of business without a permit just like in your home?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:48 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I though it was legal to have in a gun in your place of business without a permit just like in your home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:34 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Beavers called the shootings senseless and said Hall and Gregorio did just what sheriff's officials recommend during a robbery.

"We tell people to comply. Hand over the money, because it's not worth your life. They did not resist in any way," she said, shaking her head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, maybe they should stop telling people that, and start telling them to arm themselves.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 03-20-2005, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Well, maybe they should stop telling people that, and start telling them to arm themselves.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.
― Robert A. Heinlein
Old 03-20-2005, 4:01 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by redhead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I though it was legal to have in a gun in your place of business without a permit just like in your home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Just because you work at your local convenient store doesn't mean you can carry concealed. If you own the place, yes you can because your right to carry and protect is up to you. If you are just an employee, you can't carry without permission from the owner. (Better get it in writing.) My company forbids employees from bringing weapons to work, and also prevents me from storing weapons in my car while on company property.
Old 03-20-2005, 4:22 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Just because you work at your local convenient store doesn't mean you can carry concealed. If you own the place, yes you can because your right to carry and protect is up to you. If you are just an employee, you can't carry without permission from the owner. (Better get it in writing.) My company forbids employees from bringing weapons to work, and also prevents me from storing weapons in my car while on company property. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I was referring to in my two word reply. If it is YOUR place of business, meaning that you own it, you can carry. An employee is another matter entirely.
Old 03-20-2005, 4:22 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I would bet my house the murderers did not get their guns legally. When is this state going to get after the illegal guns and leave us alone.

God bless the poor victims and their families. I dont know what else to say.
Old 03-20-2005, 5:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave3006:
I have a CCW. If it is ever not renewed, I will still carry. If you use a Smartcarry setup and a J frame, no one will ever know.

And, your family will never have to go through this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Can't believe our State (including local Police Chief or Sheriff) issues CCW permit to someone like this. It's matter of time before we lose the CCW permits all together.
Old 03-20-2005, 6:22 PM
Super Moderator

Terrible, just terrible. I wonder if the owner would have allowed his employees to carry, even if he chose not to.

I seriously doubt that "better security" would have prevented such an incident - it only takes a few seconds to seriously harm someone and to get away.

Here's hoping they catch the scum who did this..

Turby
Old 03-20-2005, 8:15 PM

Ding, you must honestly believe you can make the anti-gunners like you. If this were a free country, you wouldn't need CCWs. It is not. The ammendment says keep and BEAR arms. I will exercise my right with or without their approval.

I would turn it around on you and say that your attitude that we must beg and plead for permission to exercise their rights is the very reason that we are in the state of slavery that we are in.

What if millions of gunowners suddenly changed their minds and refused to obey illegal laws tomorrow morning? Answer - the second ammendment would be in style again.
Old 03-20-2005, 8:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave3006:
Ding, you must honestly believe you can make the anti-gunners like you. If this were a free country, you wouldn't need CCWs. It is not. The ammendment says keep and BEAR arms. I will exercise my right with or without their approval.

I would turn it around on you and say that your attitude that we must beg and plead for permission to exercise their rights is the very reason that we are in the state of slavery that we are in.

What if millions of gunowners suddenly changed their minds and refused to obey illegal laws tomorrow morning? Answer - the second ammendment would be in style again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to agree... especially with the last part.

{applause}
Old 03-20-2005, 9:41 PM

What if millions of gunowners suddenly changed their minds and refused to obey illegal laws tomorrow morning? Answer - the second ammendment would be in style again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when did I become an anti-gunner? I own 4 guns, including an assault weapon.
You talk about right to keep and bear arms but should that apply to everyone in this country or state? Heck no, that would be one chaotic place to live. We have laws to prevent idiots like you from going ballistic. This is a free country with limits and restrictions. Are you finding this out now? In your fantasy world, gang bangers should be allowed to carry guns, mentally ill people should be allowed to carry guns, drug and alcohol users should be allowed to carry guns, kids in school should allowed to carry guns and heck illegal immigrants should be allowed to carry guns. Gun ownership should always remain a priviledge and only to those who can make rational judgement. You posted above that if you can't renew your CCW, you are going to carry illegally. You sound like a mentally incompetent fool joining the ranks of teenage scums on the street. By how you snapped at my constructive criticism, you are not able to control your emotions. I would be scared one day you might snap at some guy cutting you off on the freeway and begin shooting or see you get arrested for brandishing a weapon. I would like to know what makes you so special to even carry concealed weapon? What makes you so important that you life is in danger and in need of CCW permit? Chance of you becoming a victim is probably much less than you think, you probably have higher chance of dying from cancer or heart attack than being a victim. So you know you sound just as ridiculous as anti gunners that tries to ban the assault weapon or 50bmg.

There are many people in this country that don't even own guns, although there are enough guns in circulation to arm every single person in this country. Quite few of us end up being victims but there are tons more that live out their lives without ever being victims of crime. I think common sense will cut your chance of being victimized by 50% or more, having your guns will not! How about looking at ways to prevent crimes from even happening instead of looking at guns as first and only solution? Wasn't this part of your CCW training or did you forget that? Maybe you were sleeping through your CCW course. Some of us do need to carry concealed for occupational reasons, lawyers, judges, police officers, body guards, celebrities, gun store employees, jewelry store owners, shop owners, etc. But most of us average Joe's don't need it. Drop your paranoia man, enjoy the life to the max, believe me you are not as important/high value target as you think you are, hopefully you'll sleep better at night after reading my post.

If you are going to exercise your right to bear arms, why bother even applying for CCW in a first place? Just do it man, carry without the permit to show us how strongly you believe in that. You are just as cowardly as rest of us gun owners in this State.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 PM

I must say I agree strongly with dave3006 and Basura Blanca. A handgun won't prevent someone from targeting you for assault/burglery/etc, but it can make sure they don't succeed. Just because the scenario is unlikely doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared (if you want to be). In a similar vein, my car has never caught on fire, nor has my house, but I still have fire extinguishers in both.

Gun ownership is a RIGHT, as in "The RIGHT to keep and bear arms" (just like they say in that pesky ol' constitution). Like other rights, it can be taken away from criminals. That does not mean you must forsake your rights by default until you prove yourself worthy; it means your rights are removed when you prove yourself unworthy. Actions that don't harm others aren't wrong, and it's just silly to make those kinds of things illegal. I won't fault a person for trying to stay within the legal bounds as much as possible; that's just common sense. But I sure won't fault a person for disobeying silly laws either.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:21 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
Gun ownership should always remain a priviledge and only to those who can make rational judgement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa there! There's nothing in the enumerated rights nor those that are unenumerated that even lean remotely to suggest that any of them are actually privileges nor that they can be revoked.
{inalienable/unalienable}

C'mon man! Surely you wrote that in haste, right?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry to hear that. Is that the place that
used to be an old Circle K up by Highland Ave
on Palm ?
Old 03-21-2005, 4:16 AM

Ding, I hate to inform you that you are a closet anti-gun liberal. I bet you do not own an assault weapon. An assault weapon is selective fire. You probably own a semi-automatic rifle. But, you have fallen for the anti gunners propaganda.

It is a right, ding dong, not a privledge. You should be ashamed you don't know that.

Yep. You limited constitutional knowledge and willingness to accept reasonable restrictions is THE reason why we are not free.

You need to accept your new identity as a socialist.
Old 03-21-2005, 6:45 AM

Ding, I hate to inform you that you are a closet anti-gun liberal. I bet you do not own an assault weapon. An assault weapon is selective fire. You probably own a semi-automatic rifle. But, you have fallen for the anti gunners propaganda.

It is a right, ding dong, not a privledge. You should be ashamed you don't know that.

Yep. You limited constitutional knowledge and willingness to accept reasonable restrictions is THE reason why we are not free.

You need to accept your new identity as a socialist. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Sad, all I got back from you was bunch of name calling. Grow up will you?
Old 03-21-2005, 9:29 AM
Veteran Member

Ding,

I have to disagree with you buddy. The "RIGHT" to have firearms is just that. A RIGHT and not a privilege. Until you do something that puts in jeopardy your rights it is something that is given by the 2nd Amendment to all citizens of the US.

Listen buddy. I used to live in some of the worst areas of LA. I've had friends killed by gun violence, family members subjected to home invasions and guns pointed in my face. I've thought about applying for a CCW. And despite the fact of an absolutely clean record, the possibility of getting one was harder than winning the state lottery. So I like many others I carried one illegally. Breaking the law wasn't something I relished, it was a necessity for survival.

I'm long gone from the crap parts of LA and now do have a CCW (not from LA) but looking back at all the risks of carrying a firearms illegally. I'd gladly do it again. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 03-21-2005, 6:19 PM

Ding,
Seems as though you started the name-calling back in your first long diatribe.
I'm surprised at your personal interpretation of our 2nd amendment right.
Also, I don't recall anyone saying gangbangers and the mentally ill should be allowed to have firearms. You basically ran way off course from the original point made about carrying even if a CCW permit were not renewed.

To the original poster, I am sorry these folks were murdered.

Ding,
After going back to page 1 and reading your long post over again,
you really did launch a pretty personal attack against that guy.
You really owe him an apology.
Old 03-21-2005, 8:52 PM

Look if he wants to carry illegally, that's his business and not mine. If he wants to go to jail that's fine to. Part I didn't like was how he gave us tip on how to carry illegally and it seemed to me that he is suggesting that we should do the same. His exact words are If you use a Smartcarry setup and a J frame, no one will ever know. What kind of example are we setting as gun owners? If antigunners saw the comment like that, they'll freak and more unnecessary laws will be put in place, and we all pay for that. Look how assault weapons got banned on both Federal and State level. Couple psychos went on shooting rampage and there goes our rights to own those weapons. Federal one expired but we still have one in place by CA DOJ. It took one or two screw ups and we all suffered the consequences. Shouldn't we join forces to change the laws instead of finding ways to bypass or simply not obey? That was my point. Let's find long term solution that we all can benefit from, not some quick and easy solution such as carrying illegally. Until we get our CCW issuance thing straightened out, you do whatever you want to do, its your life. But posting of how to carry illegally was totally unnecessary. If something ever goes wrong, we'll all be held liable for supporting and promoting illegal activity in this litigious country. I really don't want that.

I have huge respect for Jim March of http://www.equalccw.com. He applied for CCW here in CA and got denied, now he's an activist specializing in CCW. Shouldn't all gun owners be like him? Isn't this the right and better approach?
Old 03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
Janitors assistant

All hail Jim March!

The next name called will close this thread and the parties involved posts will be sent to an admin que for review before posting.

Please be civil.

Ding; its your opinion, not your fight. Leave it alone.
Others;
Please do not give advice on how to do illegal things, however you may feel, that will get you banned.

Have a nice day
Old 03-22-2005, 4:15 AM

Ding, you don't get it. They don't need excuses to take away our rights. How many murders were commited with 50 cal rifles that were responsible for the 50 cal ban?

News flash. You can't be a good boy and thing they will love you so much they will give you back your rights.

The j frame thing is not a HUGE secret. Get real.
Old 03-22-2005, 7:14 AM

I also bet none of the teachers on that reservation think they needed a gun yesterday. I bet no one on the planes on 9/11 thought they needed a weapon (I used to always fly with my AFCK knife). I bet no one in Luby's cafeteria thought they needed a weapon one day at lunch.

You do need a weapon. You just don't know WHEN you will need it. You can't make an appointment for a disaster. That is why you should always have one.
Old 03-22-2005, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DingChavez:
Just because you work at your local convenient store doesn't mean you can carry concealed. If you own the place, yes you can because your right to carry and protect is up to you. If you are just an employee, you can't carry without permission from the owner. (Better get it in writing.) My company forbids employees from bringing weapons to work, and also prevents me from storing weapons in my car while on company property. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But all they can do if they find you carrying is to fire you.

You don't even have to worry about being judged by twelve instead of carried by six...

San Diego FFLs | San Diego ranges
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. --Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-22-2005, 9:48 PM

Enough already. All I ask of you is don't promote or advertise illegal activity. Whether you or I like it or not, it's illegal. If you feel that your life is so important and you need to carry even at the cost of breaking the law, that's your decision and I really do not want to be part of that nor do I care to hear about it.
Old 03-23-2005, 4:13 AM

I really don't care what you want to hear or your morbid fascination for illegal laws. I am ashamed you are a fellow gunowner and a socialist at the same time.

You are dead wrong on this one pal.
Old 03-23-2005, 5:15 AM

Condolenses to the families that are suffering. Hope the store owner makes a speedy recovery and that this horrible incident does not disuade him from continueing his good work for the community.

Scum bags that commited this crime have no value for life and need to be purged from society.
Old 03-23-2005, 6:06 AM

Quick note: A common trait of socialists is the lack of value of individual life. The state and it's laws are more important than the individual. Exactly the opposite of the founding fathers which valued individual liberty.

They said keep and BEAR arms for a reason.
Old 03-23-2005, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

Ding, I agree with you about advertising "illegal" activity, but the gangsters and other criminals will be armed regardless of the law. Only law-abiding citizens obey the law. That should be self-evident, but clearly it isn't.

Last edited by M. D. Van Norman; 06-21-2006 at 2:40 PM..