Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-14-2005, 3:02 PM

What other vendor sells Imbel Type 03 receivers other than:

FAC Wholesale (www.gunsnstuff.net)
Sarco Inc. (www.sarcoinc.com)
We Are Guns (www.wearguns.com)
Who sells Imbel or decent quality metric parts kits?

Also, where do they sell FAL metric 10 round mags and how much?

Also I keep hearing that the supply of Imbel receivers and parts kits are drying up. Is that true or just a urban legend/rumor/marketing ploy?
Old 02-14-2005, 3:02 PM

FAC Wholesale (www.gunsnstuff.net)
Sarco Inc. (www.sarcoinc.com)
We Are Guns (www.wearguns.com)
Who sells Imbel or decent quality metric parts kits?

Also, where do they sell FAL metric 10 round mags and how much?

Also I keep hearing that the supply of Imbel receivers and parts kits are drying up. Is that true or just a urban legend/rumor/marketing ploy?
Old 02-15-2005, 2:17 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>CAI may also be selling Coonan receivers, which are OK too <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FAC is the main supplier of Coonan receivers, unless Century has started selling them since the last time I checked. Even if Century is distributing them now, the Coonan's are domestic, so the "CAI" stamp would be thankfully absent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How are the USA made parts differentiated from the foreign made parts? Does each individual little spring, hammer, sear, floorplate, pistol grip, handguard, etc. all stamped with "MADE IN THE USA?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Springs don't count as parts, so they're irrelevant. Many of the parts are indeed marked (like FSE HTS), but those that are not depend of being made of a distinct material (e.g. furniture) or having a distinct shape (e.g. gas pistons). I'd feel more comfortable if that stuff was marked, though, since they can tell at a glance that it's US mfg instead of having to confiscate the rifle for parts testing.
Old 02-15-2005, 4:54 PM

Just a note...if you are building a CALIBAN Compliant rifle with a fixed magazine; the magazine parts may be a very good alternative as compliant parts. Especially if you have no plans to ever take the rifle to a free state and shoot it with a standard capacity detachable magazine.
Old 02-14-2005, 3:37 PM

you must remember that DSA's 10 round mags ARE NOT U.S.A. made parts, So you can't count the floor plate or mag body as compliance parts.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 02-15-2005, 8:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>icormba wrote:
falconarms sells followers and floor plates for about $1-$2 a piece. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never liked the idea of using floorplates + followers as 922(r) domestic compliance parts. The moment you put in a regular $9 Steyr mag, your rifle's illegal. (If you're on a really tight budget that's another thing.)

My 7 US-mfgd compliance parts:
- DSA US hammer/trigger/sear;
- DSA US pistol grip;
- Penguin US buttstock;
- Tapco US charging handle;
- US-mfg muzzle brake;

(I'm also not a fan of non-OEM gas pistons - I like to keep the main working items in the gun OEM stock if at all possible.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>icormba wrote:
and my Imbel Bigmac ordered for me from FAC is stamped CAI (Century?)... it seems TDW is still out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Were these Imbel receivers that were imported by Century (CAI)? Is there a gear logo? Frankly I don't trust much from Century but if it's a new receiver w/gear logo that's fine - as long as CAI didn't touch it other than rollmarking it. CAI may also be selling Coonan receivers, which are OK too.

what does bug me is that DSA's U.S. made H./ T./ S.'s are NOT marked US <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep your DSA receipt in your safe, safety deposit box, etc. just in case.

But not to worry: a BATF toolmark examiner can readily know that these are DSA US parts just by comparison of machine marks, etc. w/exemplars.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-15-2005, 3:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How are the USA made parts differentiated from the foreign made parts? Does each individual little spring, hammer, sear, floorplate, pistol grip, handguard, etc. all stamped with "MADE IN THE USA?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... Many of the parts are indeed marked (like FSE H/T/S), but those that are not depend of being made of a distinct material (e.g. furniture) or having a distinct shape (e.g. gas pistons). I'd feel more comfortable if that stuff was marked, though, since they can tell at a glance that it's US mfg instead of having to confiscate the rifle for parts testing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's relatively few vendors of OEM FAL parts (Steyr, Imbel, Brit, SA, Indian...) with some of these maybe occ. having two suppliers. So these parts are known, and I'm sure BATFE has 'exemplars' stored away. These are usu machined parts.

It seems that the US hammer/trigger/sear kits, incl those of DSA, appear to be made in MIM or are cast parts. Some of them say 'US' or 'USA' on them (non-DSA). [My DSA pistol grip and handguards and Penguin buttstock do say "US" on them.] Gas pistons made in US are readily identifiable - not hard-chromed, and DSA offers a special finish on some of theirs.

And while I'm always the one here harping about how you still have to worry even "if the ATF ain't bustin' for that", I believe ATF is looking for manufacturers/FFLs selling non-922(r) compliant rifles way more than individual builders. Plus, penalties for individual doing this are much less (i.e., loss of rifle) than for 'Crime Bill' AW ban violations or NFA violations (felonies!).

Buy the best parts you can and keep the receipt.
My DSA parts looked better than the FSE FAL parts so I went with them.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 02-14-2005, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Check Modesto's The Dealer Warehouse at http://www.tdwsales.com

I belieeve you can get 10rd mags for metric FALs from DSArms (http://www.dsarms.com )

Parts kits are in varying condition. TDW and sometimes SARCO have new chromed FAL bbls in stock. The dirty secret of many FALs (incl lower end DSAs) is that they are built w/some used parts, incl barrels. Now some upper grade FALs (DSAs higher end) are built with surplus new parts.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

Old 02-15-2005, 9:13 AM

I've always wondered about this...

How are the USA made parts differentiated from the foreign made parts? Does each individual little spring, hammer, sear, floorplate, pistol grip, handguard, etc. all stamped with "MADE IN THE USA?"
Old 02-14-2005, 6:40 PM

falconarms sells followers and floor plates for about $1-$2 a piece.

DSA also sells 10 rounders for $15 (factory 2nds)
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...oreid=1&image=

and my Imbel Bigmac ordered for me from FAC is stamped CAI (Century?)... it seems TDW is still out.

what does bug me is that DSA's U.S. made H.T.S.'s are NOT marked US
Old 02-14-2005, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rascal:
you must remember that DSA's 10 round mags _ARE NOT_ U.S.A. made parts, So you can't count the floor plate or mag body as compliance parts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But you can can buy US made floor plates. Included one in my build as the "bonus" part.
Old 02-14-2005, 3:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shooterx10:

FAC Wholesale (http://www.gunsnstuff.net)
Sarco Inc. (http://www.sarcoinc.com)
We Are Guns (http://www.wearguns.com)
Who sells Imbel or decent quality metric parts kits? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Got bucks? Want brand new Imbel parts (Still need to replace 7 parts)?Check out The Dealer's Warehouse:
http://www.tdwsales.com/page/page/236222.htm

BTW I had my FFL order from FAC (Well there was a group of us that ordered). My Imbel receiver, in addition to being stamped with the Imbel gear logo, is marked Pacific Armament Corporation, Modesto, CA. PAC is The Dealer's Warehouse.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also, where do they sell FAL metric 10 round mags and how much? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
DSA, $25
http://www.dsarms.com/item-detail.cf...=magfal510.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Also I keep hearing that the supply of Imbel receivers and parts kits are drying up. Is that true or just a urban legend/rumor/marketing ploy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The number of rifles being demilitarized isn't an infinite number. Armies are getting rid of their inventories as they switch to the 5.56mm NATO ammo and buy rifles to fire it. Eventually they've got to run out.
Old 02-14-2005, 4:27 PM

I was told by DSA that the follower and floorplate on the 10-rounders were US made, but the bodies were not.