Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-22-2009, 2:49 PM

Default PSl Trigger group/guard question

Ok here is the issue, I currently am having a Century Arms PSL shipped to me from a dealer out of state at the moment. I quite frankly didn't feel like the outrageous prices I had seen in cali as of lately for one. I was planning on purchasing a giant panda mag lock for it, which I am perfectly capable of installing, seems pretty straight forward. My issue is that I had asked the vendor to ship the firearm with rear stock detached as to not have him ship to my ffl an obvious assault weapon. However he is having issues with removing the rear stock for one reason or another and if he can't get it off he needs to install a radlock in order to send it to my ffl. Here is my issue, while I understand he has to do this and it would be legal in that configuration without an issue I honestly do not want anything messed with in terms of the magazine release. So what I am asking is how hard is it to undo or replace the components to original magazine release once it has been modified? While I know this seems ridiculous I do not even like the most minor of modifications to my firearms in general unless absolutely necessary. I also understand that I would have to remove my stock which apparently the dealer can't for some odd reason, before I even attempt to install an original type trigger group in order to avoid manufacturing an assault weapon. I am pretty irate about this to be honest, and this is my first AK type firearm so any advice would be helpful. Keep in mind I am just trying to be a responsible citizen and honestly just like original as close to factory firearms when possible.
Old 05-22-2009, 4:42 PM

If I understand you correctly, you want the dealer to remove the buttstock, ship it to you, and then send the rest of the rifle to your FFL for DROS.
To be on the safe side I would also have the magazine(s) shipped directly to you along with the buttstock.
Some of the PSL buttstocks can be a bear to remove (I have no idea why as they are only held in place with two screws), but if one is careful, it should not be any real great hassle, you just have to work it a little. I had my PSL stock removed and shipped to me along with the magazines and scope...the rest of the rifle went to my FFL. When I got it all home I installed a RadLock and then put it all back together. Simple as that.
If you move out of state, the Radlock can be removed and the original mag release can be re-installed (using a new rivet).

BTW and FYI: As soon as you start to re-assemble the rifle it best have a RadLock or some other mag lock on it before you start the re-assembly, or (when you are finished) you could possibly be in possession of an unregistered assault weapon.

Rich

Last edited by Nitroman; 05-22-2009 at 4:49 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 05-22-2009, 6:06 PM

Plastic mallet? Also, if he removes the bolt and gas piston then it is no longer a semi automatic rifle correct?
Old 05-22-2009, 6:58 PM
Calguns Addict

The reason he can't remove the stock is that there is a SECOND bolt he needs to remove that's accessible only after you take off the dust cover. Field strip it and it can be seen.

"Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." -Thomas Jefferson
, in a letter to his nephew Peter Carr dated August 19, 1785
Old 05-22-2009, 7:55 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulosity View Post
Plastic mallet? Also, if he removes the bolt and gas piston then it is no longer a semi automatic rifle correct?
Uh, no. It is still an AW. It's just broken.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ
Old 05-22-2009, 9:18 PM
Veteran Member

ship him the jumbopanda lock. anyone with an opposed thumb can install one. it's small and light, send it expressmail. there's a new version out also.
Old 05-23-2009, 7:36 AM
Veteran Member

Shot you a pm but just send him a lock and dont have him start beating on your rifle with a mallet. Sometimes the psl stocks are in real tight and even with the screws out need to be tapped out with a punch and rubber mallet .
Mon-Fri 10-7 Sat 10-5 925-447-4743/510-470-3859
PROVIDING THE LARGEST SELECTION OF BLACK RIFLES IN THE TRI VALLEY /EAST BAY AREA.
MAGAZINE LOCKs AK/SAIGA 12/vz58 more to come . http://www.shop.solartactical.com/pr...&categoryId=20
DEALERS email us at sales@solartactical.com for pricing.

Last edited by duraglock; 05-23-2009 at 8:35 AM..
Old 05-23-2009, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

it may be laquered it. tapped is a relative term.
Old 05-23-2009, 7:42 AM
Ready fo HILLARY!!

Make sure he knows there are 2 screws holding the stock on. Secondly, if one of the screws is "spinning" but not coming out it's because there is a nut on the inside of the buttstock that is spinning. If he looks at it from underneath he'll see it, sometimes they are a pain to get at.
Old 05-23-2009, 7:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duraglock View Post
Shot you a pm but just send him a lock and dont have him start beating on your rifle with a mallet. Sometimes the psl stocks are in real tight and even with the screws out need to be tapped out.
Yep, buy one of duraglock's AK/PSL locks, mail it to the seller for him to install and you are now compliant!

www.ebrworks.com

Old 05-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the reply guys. It is coming in from lanworld inc. I have dealt with them before with no issues. However when they told me their "shipping guy" couldn't get the stock off and honestly couldn't send it till they do, I was pretty upset. They are closed on the weekend so I have to call on monday and hash this out with them. What I find mildly annoying is that these people will charge me for and install a radlock, which takes someone with some minor mechanical skills to do so, yet somehow a product they regularly stock they can't seem to get a stock off of. Anyways I may have to overnight ship them the piece before it can be sent into cali. Totally frustrated at this point...
Old 05-23-2009, 2:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Lanworld had the same issue with my PSL. I sent them a lock. Problem solved.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:44 AM

Well, it came down to them installing a radlock. I am not happy with this. How do I undo this so I can install a rifle lock that keeps the original magazine release intact? I really didn't want to have to do reverse work; but I guess this is what it takes to get it here then so be it. Keep in mind I am installing another lock to make sure it is cal compliant in everyway possible, but again I don't like modified firearms. I am guessing I need some sort of rivet and an original magazine realse. Anything else I am missing?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Can you not buy a Solar AK lock and mail it to them to install for you? It takes about one minute to install and does not require mods to the weapon in any way.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=176326

www.ebrworks.com

Old 05-26-2009, 12:17 PM

The problem is sorta a time constriction for the most part. I go to college in San Fran but live in the central valley. I have exactly two weeks from today till summer session starts, which I just arrived at my brothers here. I won't be home again till sometime in november. So I have to make sure the firearm gets here and my ten days go by in that amount of time. Otherwise it will sit for another six months before I return and my ffl will not hold the rifle that long. And quite frankly don't have the time to do a 10hr round trip for the rifle. That is my huge issue when it comes to all of this, so basically I am just going to have to let them do it and undo it myself. Again not optimal, but neither is my time frame.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Removing the Raddlock and reinstalling the original mag catch and spring is a royal pain. I have done it on several AK style weapons so I could use a JumboPanda or Solar lock instead.

www.ebrworks.com

Old 05-26-2009, 3:21 PM
Vendor/Retailer

13204u asked me via PM how to remove the Radlock and reinstall the original mag catch. Your first attempt at this will be frustrating but it can be done with patience. There are other ways to do this but this process has worked for me several times.

1: First remove the stock from the PSL so you don't manufacture an assault weapon in the interim process.

2: Uninstall the RaddLock by removing the c-clip and drive out the pin. The RaddLock parts will fall out.

3: You'll need the original mag catch, spring and rivet:

4: Compress the spring in a vise and secure it with a zip tie. Wear eye protection for this step!

5: Use a punch to align the mag catch and spring in the trigger guard housing.

6: Drive the rivet into the assembly displacing the punch. This will take a few tries but it will eventually go in. (sorry no pic)

7: Crush the rivet on both sides using steel ball bearings in a vise. I used plastic packing tape to hold the ball bearings in place for this step. (sorry no pic)

8: Heat the tip of a small screwdriver with a propane torch and melt the zip tie that is inside the assembly. Remove the zip tie if possible. On one of my AKs I could not remove it, doesn't matter, it's an AK!

9: Install your Solar or JumboPanda lock using thread locker on the screws.

10: Reinstall your stock.

11: Done!

www.ebrworks.com

Last edited by EBR Works; 05-26-2009 at 3:41 PM..