Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 PM

I was just given a Colt Mark IV series 70 1911 from my father. Prior to my father owning it, my Grandfather carried it. I think it was made in the early to mid 70's, and I know it has had no maintenance done to it ever. I have neither the time nor the skills to go throuhg it, and replace all the springs, and do other basic stuff, and I am looking for a good gunsmith to go through it and "Tune it up" so to speak. I live in Eureka, but am willing to drive a few hours to get a good smith. Do any of you have any ideas?
Old 04-11-2005, 12:32 PM

I was just given a Colt Mark IV series 70 1911 from my father. Prior to my father owning it, my Grandfather carried it. I think it was made in the early to mid 70's, and I know it has had no maintenance done to it ever. I have neither the time nor the skills to go throuhg it, and replace all the springs, and do other basic stuff, and I am looking for a good gunsmith to go through it and "Tune it up" so to speak. I live in Eureka, but am willing to drive a few hours to get a good smith. Do any of you have any ideas?
Old 04-16-2005, 8:55 PM

Do you have an aversion to talking with a EPD officer?
I know one who is into competition both police and civilian.
I know he likes Glocks, but I also know he runs an STI (I think that's what it's called) and he might know someone.

Send me a private message and I'll tell you who he is if you're interested.
You might also head out to the Redwood Gun Club on the weekends and see if anyone there can point you in the right direction.
Same with the Fortuna Pistol Club on Wednesday nights 7p.m. to 9p.m. (sometimes 8:30 if things are slow).

If I see anyone I know who might know of a good 1911 smith, I'll ask and post the info here.

You could also talk with the new owner at Wild West Shooting range in Eureka, Kevin. It's the old Marcelli's indoor shooting range.
Kevin has one of those organizations like IDPA or IPSC shooting there once a month I believe.

The only gunsmiths I know of in the area are;
Ted Paul of Paul's Guns - 445-8258
Casey Craig Gunsmithing - 839-1416
Grundman's (Rio Dell) - 764-5744
and there used to be B. Wagner in Eureka.
His shop used to be on 5th downtown where the new store front is that has Quiznos in it. He moved over by the recycle center, but he closed down and a hydroponics place moved in.
I'm not sure if he's still alive and kicking, still 'smithing or what.

I have no handgun 'smithing experience with any of them except for Wagner when he did a little work on my Kimber.

Good Luck!
Old 04-12-2005, 8:56 AM

There's several in Oregon, maybe they're closer. I'm not sure of the geography.

Try google, something like: gunsmith oregon
Old 04-14-2005, 9:47 PM

I had Hoag work on my Milspec...skeletonize hammer
replace trigger, install beavertail and trigger job in less than a week!
Im gonna check with him to do some more work such as fit a new bbl and bushing, tighten slide/frame and a few more things fairly soon and i doubt it will take him more than a couple of weeks t odo the work.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:58 PM

A little closer to you is John Jardine, out of Hayward. Like Hoag, Jardine is legendary in the 1911 and Browning High-Power community for his work. Be warned, however, that all the good guys probably have some serious back-log, and it may be a while before you see your baby again.
Old 04-11-2005, 7:44 PM

Jim HOag in Canoga Park (San fernando Valley) is awesome and legendary in the 1911 community .
I had him work on my Milspec and his work is very good and fast turn-around time