Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 11-16-2017, 9:09 PM

Red face I don't believe in killing any animal:

1. that is not eaten, providing valuable leather, clothing, boots or shoes or otherwise benefiting the health of mankind in any way
2. for trophy
3. for profit UNLESS the killed animal for commerce fulfills a human need as meat: farmers and ranchers have to make a living
4. to feel like a he-man
5. that is NOT a pest or a varmint
6. that is not a danger or threat to man or his domestic animals
7. that is not an invasive species

and/or

8. unless the animal otherwise needs to be put down humanely for serious injury, pain or illness

I say that as an American gun owner, hunter and even as a Republican voter. I hope Donald Trump does not lift any ban for hunting elephants and rhinos for ivory.
Mark Levin, an American gun owner and hunter himself, is talking about this on radio right now and I agree with this man on this issue. It was on my mind to share here.

There is no reason to kill a giraffe, lion or tiger for sport.

Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 11-17-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Old 11-16-2017, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Then don't. It's as simple as that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 11-16-2017, 9:19 PM
Beretta 92FS
CGN Contributor

Talking

"This message is hidden because "whashisface" is on your ignore list."
Old 11-16-2017, 9:20 PM

I agree %100 with you. No point in trophy hunting, don’t see how killing an exotic animal brings joy to someone.
Old 11-16-2017, 9:22 PM
Veteran Member

Counting my nuts will get back to you.
Old 11-16-2017, 9:32 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

So you're a vegan. Got it. Do you also vape, and do crossfit?
Old 11-16-2017, 9:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Then don't..

I don't "trophy hunt" either.. but many of these are on reserves set up just for this and the $$$ greatly benefits the people in the area.. also, the meat is rarely wasted.

But, just because I don't I see no reason to ban others from responsible trophy hunting.
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 11-16-2017, 9:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wrong. Demonstrably WRONG.

THERE IS A REASON TO TROPHY HUNT.

And I don't mean that someone wants to, and it's legal, so it's not up to you what anyone else does within these parameters. Though that IS a reason. Your declaration that there is no reason is as meaningful as someone who tells me there is no reason to own and AR rifle, a fast car, or a tailored suit.

No, I didn't mean any of that. I meant you should educate yourself before speaking. The trophy animals, all of them, rhinos, elephants, lion, ALL of them are targets of poachers so Chinese businessmen can get dick pills.

The reason they are not currently extinct is simple. Rich guys will pay big bucks to hunt specific, carefully chosen specimens chosen to ensure genetic diversity and maximum breeding. The money from these legal hunts goes DIRECTLY to hire game wardens who protect the viable breeding stock left over after the hunt. Well over 90% of the money that hires these wardens comes from hunters. Not photographers. Not Leo DiCaprio. Trophy hunters.

Stop trophy hunting, and you ENSURE that lions, rhinos, elephants are ALL EXTINCT in the wild inside a few years.

Period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsig View Post
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lear60man View Post
My transvestite analogy stands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Didn't realize. I try not to be political.
XXXXXXX
Old 11-16-2017, 9:55 PM

Donald, you Babble too much...
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM

My thoughts on hunting are if you kill it you better eat it or use it in a useful way such as the skin,fur to make something useful.

I dont really agree with killing an exotic animal just to hire a guide take a shot and go home and wait for you new all ornament.

I understand killing predator animals destroying your livestock or a danger to you or others and definitely fine with that too
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 PM

Look into Corey Knowlton. Trophy hunting does more for conservation than anything else. The black rhino he shot raised 350k towards conservation and litterally fed a village.

https://youtu.be/8A1D-f_meFY
Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
So you're a vegan. Got it. Do you also vape, and do crossfit?
No, I eat beef, chicken, dove, pheasant, fish, pork, venison, turkey, duck and shellfish.

I tiger on the table sounds gross and bears eat fish.

I don't smoke, vape, chew, dip, sniff, drink much or do dope.

Don't know what crossfit is.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Then don't..

I don't "trophy hunt" either.. but many of these are on reserves set up just for this and the $$$ greatly benefits the people in the area.. also, the meat is rarely wasted.

But, just because I don't I see no reason to ban others from responsible trophy hunting.
OK, I will make an exception to my twinge of conscience against trophy hunting as long as the meat is not wasted.
Old 11-17-2017, 2:01 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citadelgrad87 View Post

And I don't mean that someone wants to, and it's legal, so it's not up to you what anyone else does within these parameters. Though that IS a reason. Your declaration that there is no reason is as meaningful as someone who tells me there is no reason to own and AR rifle, a fast car, or a tailored suit.

No, I didn't mean any of that. I meant you should educate yourself before speaking. The trophy animals, all of them, rhinos, elephants, lion, ALL of them are targets of poachers so Chinese businessmen can get dick pills.

The reason they are not currently extinct is simple. Rich guys will pay big bucks to hunt specific, carefully chosen specimens chosen to ensure genetic diversity and maximum breeding. The money from these legal hunts goes DIRECTLY to hire game wardens who protect the viable breeding stock left over after the hunt. Well over 90% of the money that hires these wardens comes from hunters. Not photographers. Not Leo DiCaprio. Trophy hunters.

Stop trophy hunting, and you ENSURE that lions, rhinos, elephants are ALL EXTINCT in the wild inside a few years.

Period.
Educate myself? Well, I heard it from a conservative radio talk show host, Mark Levin. It was not some Bambi-huggin' liberal that I heard it from.

He hated that a magnificent animal as the elephant was hunted for pure sport or ivory profit and that a tiger was killed as a mere sex enhancer.

Perhaps, you should call up Mark Levin in his hidden underground bunker of brick and steel and explain that logic to him. A few magnificent animals are killed legally to ironically save the species as a whole from dying out. I personally have no desire for elephant or tiger meat.

Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 11-17-2017 at 2:03 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 2:34 AM

Quote:

Period.
I now see the light, Mr. 87 Grad!

Mark Levin needs to have a word from you.

I saw this video:

https://youtu.be/8A1D-f_meFY

An old male animal makes an impressive trophy and can't breed anyway. It will harm the younger, healthier members of the endangered species through aggressive attacks and ironically speed up the extinction process. The old fellow with massive horns, tusks, body size, antlers or manes is targeted and killed, through selective wildlife management, for the good of the whole species. These elderly males would die a horrible death in nature anyway if it weren't for deep-pocketed sportsmen with guns. The sport hunters generate the handsome revenues for game wardens to save a species from poachers by killing those old, non-reproductive but magnificent males. Makes perfect sense to me now that everything is explained.

Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 11-17-2017 at 2:45 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 6:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett View Post
Educate myself? Well, I heard it from a conservative radio talk show host, Mark Levin. It was not some Bambi-huggin' liberal that I heard it from.

He hated that a magnificent animal as the elephant was hunted for pure sport or ivory profit and that a tiger was killed as a mere sex enhancer.

Perhaps, you should call up Mark Levin in his hidden underground bunker of brick and steel and explain that logic to him. A few magnificent animals are killed legally to ironically save the species as a whole from dying out. I personally have no desire for elephant or tiger meat.
You posted it. You backed what Levin said.

Trying to point the finger at Levin is a cop out and you need to take some accountability for what you post.
Old 11-17-2017, 6:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Tales from the Babbett....
Old 11-17-2017, 6:58 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No, I eat beef, chicken, dove, pheasant, fish, pork, venison, turkey, duck and shellfish.

Quote:
3. for profit
So what do you do, steal that beef, chicken, fish, pork, and shellfish from the store? Or do you pay for it? Where people are are making a profit off of keeping animals in cages covered in their own ****?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post
Donald, you Babble too much...

Quote:
I personally have no desire for elephant or tiger meat.
So don't. There's plenty of folks out there who have no desire to be named Donald, but they're not asking the rest of us to lock you in a cage.

Good job on being a typical hypocritical bleepity bleep bleep.
Old 11-17-2017, 7:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Your entitled to your opinion. Game animals are to be taken and eaten. Do you eat meat. If so you just have another kill it for you. I am having elk sausage for breakfast in your honor.
Old 11-17-2017, 7:08 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

DonaldBabbett threads are always so.......ummmm.......what's the word I'm looking for?
Old 11-17-2017, 8:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
DonaldBabbett threads are always so.......ummmm.......what's the word I'm looking for?
Pointless? High and Mighty? Hypocritical?
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 11-17-2017, 8:16 AM

I don't kill anything that isn't a bother to me either, but then I don't have a problem eating game taken by friends.
Old 11-17-2017, 8:18 AM

If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made of meat?

AND

If we don't eat meat, then the animals win!
Old 11-17-2017, 8:24 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't get it either at all. Why someone wants to travel across the earth to kill such amazing creatures escapes me, it's not like some tribal thing for them their people have done forever either, the great white hunter era is long gone. But it's happening and it should be strictly regulated such that species are carefully protected from overhunting and poaching. Now anyone sport poaching endangered species should be treated just as if they were killing people. They are robbing the earth of millions of years of heritage that is not for them to take. Morally I would have no issue of shoot on site those SOBs to protect the animals.

Legal hunting of such creatures I just find repugnant, but the laws are the laws, so I just hope the animal populations are properly protected. And I'm sure the killing some will protect the rest point will be made, I will defer that to scientific study. When big money is involved in these nations I'm sure all kinds of justifications will get made.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 11-17-2017, 8:34 AM

pass
Old 11-17-2017, 8:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
1. that is not eaten, providing valuable leather, clothing, boots or shoes or otherwise benefiting the health of mankind in any way
2. for trophy
3. for profit
4. to feel like a he-man

and/or

8. unless the animal otherwise needs to be put down humanely for serious injury, pain or illness

I say that as an American gun owner, hunter and even as a Republican voter. I hope Donald Trump does not lift any ban for hunting elephants and rhinos for ivory.
Mark Levin, an American gun owner and hunter himself, is talking about this on radio right now and I agree with this man on this issue. It was on my mind to share here.

I guess you don't understand trophy hunting.

In Africa:

1. All the animal is eaten and other parts are used by the locals.
2. Yes, there is the "trophy aspect"
3. The profits go toward proper game management and the war on poachers.
4. If someone wants to feel like a cartoon character, who cares?
5. Many of the trophy hunts are culling animals which have become "pests".
6. Some trophy hunts do target specific animals which have become a clear danger to humans.
7. So, it's ok to kill an invasive animal just to feel like a he man and not use any part of the animal? Personally, I think it depends on the species and the damage it is doing to the local environment and native species.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 11-17-2017, 8:36 AM

Quote:
2. for trophy
3. for profit
4. to feel like a he-man

and/or

quoted for prosperity

simple reply...

Then don't hunt, but also don't tell me how to lead my life, or tell me what my family and I can enjoy.
Old 11-17-2017, 8:44 AM

Quote:

Period.
Based on this thinking, how did the species survive this long without human intervention?
Old 11-17-2017, 9:00 AM

^use a little deductive reasoning and connect the dots

- Henry Ford
Old 11-17-2017, 9:36 AM

The meat is not usually wasted (I would say never but someone would find a story about that one time). These hunts are set up so the food is used to feed villages and like mentioned the money goes into animal conservation.
Old 11-17-2017, 9:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If done correctly it sounds as if trophy hunting is a benefit to the overall health and conservation of the species in question. I think where this gets muddled is that people see these poachers that will kill an animal take the valuable aspects of what they can then leave it to rot.

I believe that's the image the average person has of a "trophy" hunter and that's why it's so negative. Just my opinion.
Old 11-17-2017, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Based on this thinking, how did the species survive this long without human intervention?
Because until recently the human population in those areas wasn't able to compete as well for land. Trophy hunting creates an incentive to the local farmer to keep the animals alive as a potential profit maker as opposed to killing them as potential competition. Elephants and rhinos destroy crops in areas where farmers are living a subsistence life and don't have a Whole Foods they can wander in to and buy their free range organic non GMO kale chips on their way back from a hot yoga session. Lions eat things they chase and kill, and sometimes that thing they chase and kill is the son or daughter of the farmer. So, seeing as the farmer needs to feed himself, his family, and other villagers, and keep them alive, he'll kill as many elephants, rhinos and lions as he needs to in order to keep them off their crops and from eating their children. Now, through managed trophy hunting, there is an incentive in place to keep the local villagers from killing them all while still being able to survive.

Western urbanites forget we're all descendants of hunters and killers. I embrace that. I enjoy the kill. It's what we're born and bred for. Embrace it.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...

Last edited by njineermike; 11-17-2017 at 9:59 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 10:20 AM

I see wasted meat all the time, hunters killing a duck , goose, etc and cutting the breast meat off and throwing the rest in the garbage, side of the road.

people hunting bull frogs and just cutting off the legs and throwing the rest back in the water, lots of wasted meat still on the body.

Last edited by omega; 11-20-2017 at 3:45 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 10:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
Human intervention in the form of poaching is what is ending them. Africa isn't some untouched eden, professional poachers with FALs will kill an entire herd of elephants, all of them, for the ivory, then leave them to rot.

Poachers exist, and it pays well. There is no local economy to support the wardens. Locals would gladly shoot an elephant to protect their crops. Wardens deal with this, too.

The human intervention is, ironically. Both the only reason they are in danger, AND the only reason there are any left in the wild.
Quote:
You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 11-17-2017, 10:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

This thread makes me sad. So many ignorant people with strong opinions on hunting that know NOTHING about it. Just like Democrats and guns....

If you don't hunt, and know nothing about hunting, STFU about hunting.
NOBODY IS ENTITLED TO AN IGNORANT OPINION.

OR educate yourself so you don't sound like some ignorant, mental case screaming nonsensical hysterics.

Private hunters are among the biggest groups of conservationists, dollar for dollar, IN THE WORLD.

FACTS MATTER.
Ever heard of John James Audubon? Charles Darwin? How about Theodore Rosevelt, the greatest American conservationist of all time? AVID HUNTERS.

Last edited by hunterb; 11-17-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 11-17-2017, 10:46 AM

lots of wasted meat denying the native Americans food:

Soon, military commanders were ordering their troops to kill buffalo — not for food, but to deny Native Americans their own source of food. One general believed that buffalo hunters “did more to defeat the Indian nations in a few years than soldiers did in 50.” By 1880, the slaughter was almost over.

https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/f...?itok=H9qiZzbI
Old 11-17-2017, 10:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
lots of wasted meat denying the native Americans food:

Soon, military commanders were ordering their troops to kill buffalo — not for food, but to deny Native Americans their own source of food. One general believed that buffalo hunters “did more to defeat the Indian nations in a few years than soldiers did in 50.” By 1880, the slaughter was almost over.

https://www.nrdc.org/sites/default/f...?itok=H9qiZzbI
Certain treaties confined the natives to reservatioms except when hunting buffalo.

So to close the loophole, those in power killed them. All of them.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
XXXXXXX
Old 11-17-2017, 10:54 AM

This is a subject that is dear and true to me, hunting is hunting (LEGAL) whether its for sport or food. Nobody doesn't like to follow the speed limit(especially on the 5) but most people do or suffer the consequences.

It is the HUNTER AND GOVERNMENT that has brought animals back from threatened extinction . However, I didn't see this mentioned earlier, but it is the ACT OF ALL MAN that threatens these animals through encroaching on the native lands of some of these animals.

Sport hunting does have a place in conservation of all animals. If it wasn't for such groups promoting sport hunting, that money would never have been spent because we all know, people and governments never spend money the way it was meant to be spent.

In California alone, I site the Mountain Lion, Geese, Swans, Ducks, Sheep etcetera, a lot of these animals are off the endangered list through a combination of Hunting, Management, and the desire of all people to see these beautiful animals in their native environments.

Some of these animals do make me laugh when for instance, a mt. Lion (Hillsborough, an affluent community south of S.F.)leaves its kill on the front lawn of a wealthy person who on the news in broken english is telling the reporter that the lion was wrong to leave bambi on her lawn. (A great example of man encroaching on native lands)

Happy Turkey day
Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega View Post
I see wasted meat all the time, hunters killing a duck , goose, etc and cutting the breast meat off and throwing the rest in the garbage, side of the road.

people hunting bull frogs and just cutting off the legs and throwing the rest back in the water, lots of wasted meat still on the body.

it's usually white hunters that do this, other people dont waste the meat like that
Old 11-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorFranko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Pointless? High and Mighty? Hypocritical?
Yep.