Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-01-2016, 9:05 PM

Default Mount Whitney!

Anyone else put in for their permits today? This is the year we are going to summit Mt. Whitney!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM

I would love to do it but got no one to go with.
Old 02-02-2016, 9:14 PM

Last year I did Mt Whitney (3rd time) and Mt Kilimanjaro.

I'm going to climb Mt Shasta again in May.
Old 02-02-2016, 9:26 PM

Since when do you need permits?
Are you talking about walking up or climbing with ropes?

NRA Member
Old 02-03-2016, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Since when do you need permits?
Are you talking about walking up or climbing with ropes?
Need permits for all Whitney Zone from May to October 31st. There are separate permits for main trail (day or overnight) or east face climbing. There are limits of 100 day permits and 60 overnight.
Old 02-03-2016, 2:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Darn, I thought this was gonna be a pron thread.

:disappointed:

Seriously, good luck.

I survived the great CG of 2015
Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-03-2016, 2:33 AM
CGSSA Associate
CGN Contributor

Need a permit to access public land... seems fair...

On a another note, is this supposed to be a very difficult climb, say for your average calgunner who knows jack in the box employees by name, fights with 12 year olds on xbox live, while chugging budlight limes, and occasionally sharting myself reading OT?
Old 02-03-2016, 3:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post

On a another note, is this supposed to be a very difficult climb, say for your average calgunner who knows jack in the box employees by name, fights with 12 year olds on xbox live, while chugging budlight limes, and occasionally sharting myself reading OT?
Just buy the bud light 18 pack (for the same or less than the w/lime 12er) and add a little bit of lime juice. I get the little lime colored bottles of the juice in the produce section at the grocery.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-03-2016, 3:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopwell View Post

Super easy, you only need your cooler on wheels and a day pack of Cheetos.
Old 02-03-2016, 7:15 AM

In 1987 I hiked from the lower campground to the summit and back down in 12 hours.

NRA Member
Old 02-03-2016, 9:08 AM

12 hours is good time considering it's 22 miles with over 6000' of elevation gain. I'd like to do the mountineers route at some point. We are sticking with the main route this time.
Old 02-03-2016, 9:11 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Darn, I thought this was gonna be a pron thread.

:disappointed:

Seriously, good luck.
Haha, sorry to dissapoint...but if you Google the title of the thread I'mm sure you'll come up with what you want!
Old 02-03-2016, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

I've been planning a hike from Mt Whitney to Happy Isles Campground over the John Muir Trail. I still haven't decided if I will start at Whitney or Yosemite.

Since permits are hard to come by I may start in Tuolumne Meadows.

Do I want to hike Whitney with a full pack at the beginning of my trek or hike it at the end with a lighter pack?

Either way enjoy the hike.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .... -IVC
Old 02-03-2016, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofWWIIDI View Post
Just buy the bud light 18 pack (for the same or less than the w/lime 12er) and add a little bit of lime juice. I get the little lime colored bottles of the juice in the produce section at the grocery.

Lol, it would be foolish to drink beer on that hike, the lack of oxigen causes you to need to breath faster and you become dehydrated faster.
Beer would not help.
It is extremely important to bring enough water and stay hydrated.

NRA Member
Old 02-03-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman19 View Post
I've been planning a hike from Mt Whitney to Happy Isles Campground over the John Muir Trail. I still haven't decided if I will start at Whitney or Yosemite.

Since permits are hard to come by I may start in Tuolumne Meadows.

Do I want to hike Whitney with a full pack at the beginning of my trek or hike it at the end with a lighter pack?

Either way enjoy the hike.
It depends on how fast you want to hike it.

I used a small backpack big enough for a jacket, some food and a jug of water.
I found I had to drink very often or I got dehydrated, we didn't have camel backs then so I had to hand carry the jug because it was a hassle to keep getting it out and putting it back in the backpack.

NRA Member
Old 02-03-2016, 4:18 PM
Veteran Member

Entered the day hike lottery, this will be the third year in a row for me hopefully. I selected a Tuesday in late August as my first choice and weekdays in early August as backups. Did not summit last year...a storm blew through the day before the hike and the trail on the backside was covered with snow and ice; turned back a mile from the summit because of that and iffy weather.

I'll follow the same plan as the last couple years:
  • Day 1: acclimatization hike to 11,000 - 12,000 feet, spend the night at 9,000 feet, drink ~ 4 to 5 liters of water
  • Day 2: chill out at 9,000 to 10,000 feet, drink another 4 to 5 liters of water, get to sleep early
  • Day 3: start Mt Whitney Main Trail hike early a.m. (4:00 a.m. at the latest, lots of people on the trail earlier), drink about 6 liters of water throughout the day, finish early p.m., eat burger at Whitney Portal Store
Bring enough containers/reservoirs to carry at least 4 liters of water, you only need to carry a liter or two until Trail Camp, then fill up your bottles/reservoirs before you hit the switchbacks, either at Trailside Meadows or Trail Camp. I used a Platypus reservoir and Sawyer Mini filter to collect and filter the water, and 4 x 1 liter Smart Water bottles to carry water and drink from. I felt that electrolyte tabs really helped me; I like Nuun Active Hydration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustHitIt View Post
I would love to do it but got no one to go with.
Go solo! I did that and there were plenty other solo hikers. Lots of people on the main trail.

Last edited by FABIO GETS GOOSED!!!; 02-03-2016 at 4:26 PM..
Old 02-03-2016, 9:03 PM

We are doing it as a day hike. I'll spend a few days in mammoth area (and probably summit crystal crag while I'm there) before the hike so that should help acclimate. Can't wait...too bad the lottery is so far from the draw date. Now just gotta keep hiking and getting ready. We are planning on doing Mt. San Antonio and San Gorgonio to get ready
Old 02-03-2016, 9:03 PM

I hiked it twice last year. It's a workout. Maybe a little help for permit seekers who don't get one on-line. If you walk into the visitors center the day before you want to start there is a good chance you can get a permit for that day or the next morning unless your at the height of the tourist season. Also don't try for a permit before June 1st. unless you have crampons and like snow. You can rent them in the climbing store in town ( I think they were $10.00 a day ). Last year even with the drought there was several feet of snow above 13,000 feet. This year should be worse unless we have a hot spring.
Old 02-03-2016, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling thunder View Post
We are doing it as a day hike. I'll spend a few days in mammoth area (and probably summit crystal crag while I'm there) before the hike so that should help acclimate. Can't wait...too bad the lottery is so far from the draw date. Now just gotta keep hiking and getting ready. We are planning on doing Mt. San Antonio and San Gorgonio to get ready
Good plan, I'm thinking about spending a couple days in Mammoth before the hike myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
Maybe a little help for permit seekers who don't get one on-line. If you walk into the visitors center the day before you want to start there is a good chance you can get a permit for that day or the next morning unless your at the height of the tourist season.
Here's the "no show" numbers for 2014, you could get a walk-in permit almost every day except on maybe 2 or 3 days:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...prd3827455.pdf

Looks like road construction will complicate things this year; if you reserve a permit through the lottery (or online if someone cancels), you'll get a parking permit; walk-in permits may be limited if parking is congested:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...eprd489277.pdf
Old 02-04-2016, 6:15 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberPatriot View Post
Lol, it would be foolish to drink beer on that hike, the lack of oxigen causes you to need to breath faster and you become dehydrated faster.
Beer would not help.
It is extremely important to bring enough water and stay hydrated.
I'll just watch the video from my couch....with a beer in hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 02-04-2016, 9:08 AM

San Antonio ( Baldy ) is a good tune up hike but always crowded. If you like the road less traveled try the three Ts trail. It goes up Ice House Canyon to the saddle then goes over to the top of the lift at baldy. A lot of up and down and about ten miles. Real nice hike, few people and you summit three peaks on the way. Take two cars and leave one at the lift parking lot then jump in the other and go to Ice House Cyn. One of the best hikes I have done in So. Cal. is San Bernadino Peak, not many people and really beautiful. It starts in Angeles Oaks and if my mind is right is about 16 miles. Most of it is high so you get used to a little elevation but it has an amazing level section in the middle. You can even look down on Big Bear in the distance. Hope it helps
Old 02-04-2016, 9:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolling thunder View Post
12 hours is good time considering it's 22 miles with over 6000' of elevation gain. I'd like to do the mountineers route at some point. We are sticking with the main route this time.
Actually, it is further that that. It is 22.7 miles from the trailhead, an additional mile from the group campsite (round trip). The gain is also wrong, it is around 7000 because you go up and down on the route (I measured it). The 6000 is just the difference in gain between the trailhead and the top.

12 hours is quite good. I did it in 13 hours, 20 minutes.

One thing to realize when doing it as a day hike is to EAT. You don't realize how much you need to eat and you can run out of energy without realizing why.

Also, being in shape does not mean you can make it. The high altitude is a major factor. Many people who are in good shape end up with problems and have to turn back.

San Gorgonio is a good training hike. It is about 2/3 of Whitney. I like doing it as a backpack, 2 days up, one down, staying on the peak overnight. Great sunrise and sunset, if the weather is good.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-04-2016, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If you like the road less traveled try the three Ts trail.
+1. I took this trail from the Icehouse trailhead to Telegraph Peak and back, it was uncrowded, scenic, and tough.

Some more training hike ideas from a Mt Whitney blog...I've done a bunch of these and really enjoyed them:

http://mtwhitneyhiking.blogspot.com/...on.html?q=noob

http://mtwhitneyhiking.blogspot.com/...mt.html?q=noob

If anyone wants to ballpark their ascent time using estimated pace(s) for various segments of the Mt. Whitney Main Trail, I put together a Google Sheet that you can download as an Excel file or save a copy in your Google Drive account (if your mileage numbers are different for the landmarks based on your own GPS tracks, just change the numbers and it should update automatically):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 02-04-2016, 5:05 PM

My favorite time of year!! I put in for the weekends of May 8, 28 and August 20, 28; with day hike alternates for the same dates. (lots of $$$ in permit fees :/) Unfortunately the overcrowding on the main trail trashes the mountain, so I reluctantly understand the permit requirement. I'll be going for the Mountaineers route next year hopefully.

I'm planning on the following itinerary:
Night 1: Whitney Portal campground
Part 1/3 of the hike
Night 2: Trail Camp
Summit Day- part 2/3 of hike
Night 3: back at trail camp
part 3/3 of hike and drive home

Probably going to be doing Mt San Gorgornio via vivian creek and overnighting on the summit to acclimate, otherwise cardio training in the OC hills. I did Mt. Lyell (13,114) with no AMS issues.
Old 02-04-2016, 5:25 PM
Calguns Addict

FYI, it also seems to help to get there a day early and hike up to the lake, which no permit is needed.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 02-04-2016, 5:51 PM

In case anyone has the idea these high elevation long distance hikes are without danger...
http://m.pe.com/articles/baldy-79343...o-tuesday.html

Article doesn't say if they were using crampons, microspikes or ice axe, but sounds like no. Especially this time of year, it's so important to use the right gear for mt.
Old 02-04-2016, 6:17 PM

Undoubtedly. A lot of my friends were close friends with that guy.
Old 02-05-2016, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Maybe a little help for permit seekers who don't get one on-line. If you walk into the visitors center the day before you want to start there is a good chance you can get a permit for that day or the next morning unless your at the height of the tourist season.
Yep, I've never applied for a permit online or through the mail. Been up there over 10 times and have never had a problem getting a permit just by showing up at 11 AM the previous day, one of those trip was a Labor Day weekend.

And yes, permits suck, but that mountain gets so much traffic that even with the permit system, wag bags and trash are found all over the place both on the mail trail and the North Fork.

http://www.shop42a.com/
Old 02-05-2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Actually, it is further that that. It is 22.7 miles from the trailhead, an additional mile from the group campsite (round trip). The gain is also wrong, it is around 7000 because you go up and down on the route (I measured it). The 6000 is just the difference in gain between the trailhead and the top.

12 hours is quite good. I did it in 13 hours, 20 minutes.

One thing to realize when doing it as a day hike is to EAT. You don't realize how much you need to eat and you can run out of energy without realizing why.

Also, being in shape does not mean you can make it. The high altitude is a major factor. Many people who are in good shape end up with problems and have to turn back.

San Gorgonio is a good training hike. It is about 2/3 of Whitney. I like doing it as a backpack, 2 days up, one down, staying on the peak overnight. Great sunrise and sunset, if the weather is good.
I brought along trail mix, fruit and a couple cans of Dintymoor beef stew.
My friend I was hiking with got altitude sickness and couldn't eat.

When I got to the stone cabin I opened the can of stew, there was a orange glob of fat on top, I was so hungry I picked it out with my fingers and ate it just as my friend came in, he saw that and got nauseated and went back out.
I heard him say he was going back down
I thought he was kidding so I looked out the door and he really was heading back down the mountain! He didn't even go to the summit and it was right there.

Altitude can mess you up.

NRA Member
Old 02-06-2016, 6:19 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are having a problem with the altitude, then you really need to go down ASAP. It can be very serious. It is better to go down under your own power, even if it means turning around and not making your goal, than to be taken down by rescue people who make take a really long time to get there.

Old 02-06-2016, 6:57 PM

I summited Mt. Whitney back in 06/13/14. Could only get a day permit, but worked out in my favor. Mind you, this was my first 14er and exactly 7 months after a major back surgery. I was able to somewhat acclimate myself with the elevation for at least a day and a half. Like a lot of these guys said, if you're suffering from altitude sickness, pace yourself and go back down. Not worth your life.