Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-14-2017, 1:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default Hammy Exammy

So I got my little chinese radio last summer, signed up to take the Ham exam in September, but life intervened and I didn't take the tests until today. So now I'm a Ham..... well I guess I need to wait a few days for the FCC to add me to their database, but the hard part is over. Took the tests at a local Amateur Radio club and found the people there to be of excellent character. In fact, every Ham I've ever met seemed to be good people.

So if you're thinking of doing this I can tell you it is not very difficult, costs very little, and you'll meet some great people. I even found the entire process fun, challenging, educational.

73s

Lay me dun in the caul caul grun.....

caput ferrum equus ego veho
Old 01-14-2017, 2:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Congrats, start looking at FCC call sign lookup on Tuesday, you might see it there any time, when I got my tech it hit FCC site on Tuesday, my kids took theirs a few months later and theirs hit on Wednesday I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 01-14-2017, 2:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Where are you located, we can get your radio programmed for a winsystem repeater and you can talk all over CA on 70cm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2017, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

The winsystem thing sounds interesting. I'm near Napa. Will start checking FCC database on Tuesday..... see when I can finally press the PTT button on the little radio. The club people where I took the tests said that licensee's have reported their callsign appearing on the FCC database in as little as less than a day after testing, but two or three days most common. Monday is a holiday, so we'll see.

Old 01-14-2017, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

look here and see if there is one close to you, or what is the closest, I can hit one about 50 miles i think from my house with my baofengs
http://www.thedeanfamily.com/winreptr.htm
Old 01-15-2017, 9:59 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like I have one just a few miles away. Listening now. Kind of surprising because since I've had the radio, I've tried scanning and plugging in to some local repeaters, but I live between a couple of ridges and don't usually get much other than local sheriff/fire. This may be fun! Thanks!

Old 01-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grymster View Post
In fact, every Ham I've ever met seemed to be good people.
You have not met enough Hams then. Most are good, but some are ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Congrats, start looking at FCC call sign lookup on Tuesday, you might see it there any time, when I got my tech it hit FCC site on Tuesday, my kids took theirs a few months later and theirs hit on Wednesday I think
It depends on the VEC used. The ARRL VEs mail in the test results, so it can take around a week, depending on how it is mailed, weather and how busy they are. Some submit it electronically, so it happens much faster.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-15-2017, 1:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
You have not met enough Hams then. Most are good, but some are ...
Yeah, I really haven't met that many, but the ones I have all seemed to be good folks. Maybe I've been lucky. Come to think of it, many of the ones I've met were engineers or scientists. And there are certainly some of those folks who aren't so nice. Guess it's like everything else.

Old 01-16-2017, 8:49 AM
Veteran Member

I noticed at the exam session the other day, that a lot of people seemed to have failed the Technician exam and I wasn’t aware that any of them paid the extra $15 to re-take the test. Found that kind of odd. Were they not serious? Embarrassed? I dunno.

Old 01-16-2017, 9:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What did you use as a study guide? I see several online courses and there are books. Just curious what you found effective.
Old 01-16-2017, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergimp View Post
What did you use as a study guide? I see several online courses and there are books. Just curious what you found effective.
Study guides I used, all are Kindle books I read on my phone:
The Fast Track to your Technician Class Ham Radio License by Michael Burnette
Plain English Study Guide for the FCC Amateur Radio General Class License by Richard Clem
ARRL's Extra Q&A Fourth Edition by AARL

I also made liberal use of HamExam.org. They have flash cards, question pools and practice exams for all three classes. You can have them weight the practice exam questions so you can work on your weak areas, they track your stats, and have several other features. I really liked it and the site was approved by my Elmer. Also, I found that as I was reading the study guides, I would often search the web for more in-depth insight into some of the material.

My background is in machining and manufacturing management, so a lot of the material was rather foreign to me at first, but I found the challenge of learning this stuff very enjoyable. There may be better study guides and web sites, but those are what I used, and I'm very happy with them.

Old 01-16-2017, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I noticed at the exam session the other day, that a lot of people seemed to have failed the Technician exam and I wasn’t aware that any of them paid the extra $15 to re-take the test. Found that kind of odd. Were they not serious? Embarrassed? I dunno.
I have been a VE for several years. There is little point in taking the test again unless it is really close, such as one or two questions. It is rare that someone fails and takes it again and passes. It does happen.

It also seems to me that most fail because they did not bother to take it seriously, lack of studying, thinking that they could just come in and pass the test. I suspect that it dawns on them when they fail.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 01-16-2017, 9:26 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So I got my little chinese radio last summer
The Chinese radios are cheap but have awful user interfaces are punishing to use. Look at the Yaesu handhelds, even the low end ones are a pleasure to use.

Quote:
So now I'm a Ham..... well I guess I need to wait a few days for the FCC to add me to their database, but the hard part is over.
Give it 2 weeks. Most VECs operate via mail and then there is the processing backlog.

Quote:
The winsystem thing sounds interesting.
The Win System is... well... interesting... It's like a cult centered around the all mighty shorty. You should listen to the technet on the weekends.

Quote:
I'm near Napa. Will start checking FCC database on Tuesday
Give it two weeks.

Quote:
Many people come in to take the tech exam after a "good buddy" tells them "it's just so easy and one doesn't need to study at all."
Old 01-17-2017, 8:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have been a VE for several years. There is little point in taking the test again unless it is really close, such as one or two questions. It is rare that someone fails and takes it again and passes. It does happen.

It also seems to me that most fail because they did not bother to take it seriously, lack of studying, thinking that they could just come in and pass the test. I suspect that it dawns on them when they fail.
I dunno, while I was already there, I would have ponied up the other $15.... and yeah, maybe I would have wasted $30 total! But that's how I roll!

Yeah, maybe that's it, they just don't bother to study. Seems silly to me. If I'm going to take a test, I want to be pretty certain I'll pass.

Old 01-17-2017, 9:18 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satex View Post
The Chinese radios are cheap but have awful user interfaces are punishing to use. Look at the Yaesu handhelds, even the low end ones are a pleasure to use.

Many people come in to take the tech exam after a "good buddy" tells them "it's just so easy and one doesn't need to study at all."
Yeah, I've been told that the Baofengs are not the best radios, but before buying something else, I want to see if this is a hobby I might want to pursue.

What you say about "good buddy" is kind of scary. Don't tell me there are a bunch of people ruining Ham bands like they did to CB! That's another reason I'm not going to buy another radio for a while. Maybe I'll want to play around on the lower frequencies, and will want a different radio.

Old 01-17-2017, 1:36 PM
Calguns Addict

The cheap Chinese radios are not the best, but they are cheap and actually quite tough. One person I know said that he dropped one from a tower from around 60 ft up. It damaged the battery, but that was it. Another person said that he left it on the top of his vehicle and it fell off at a decent speed and was fine when he went back to get it. I would try try that with more expensive radios. These radios are just about disposable.

Old 01-17-2017, 2:23 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The cheap Chinese radios are not the best, but they are cheap and actually quite tough. One person I know said that he dropped one from a tower from around 60 ft up. It damaged the battery, but that was it. Another person said that he left it on the top of his vehicle and it fell off at a decent speed and was fine when he went back to get it. I would try try that with more expensive radios. These radios are just about disposable.
Yeah, so I've heard. They do seem pretty durable. I'm going to try and get my brothers (Manteca and Redwood City) and my daughters (Oakland and Folsom) to get at least a Tech ticket, and a radio. The daughter in Oakland lives a half mile from, and works right on the Hayward Fault. Might be nice to get some messages through when the big one happens. That was my original intention for getting a license. Now, I think I may want to delve deeper into amateur radio. Might look around for a used rig that will get me into the HF bands. Satex mentioned "good buddy" and that made me worry a bit. Is it your experience that UHF and VHF are getting sort of CB'ed out?

Old 01-17-2017, 5:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Is it your experience that UHF and VHF are getting sort of CB'ed out?
For the most part, no, although there is one repeater that I heard which was trashed with such people. I am not sure of why the FCC does not take action, but ...

Old 01-26-2017, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

My Elmer emailed yesterday and said everyone else who successfully passed exams on the date I took mine had been assigned a callsign by the FCC..... except for me. I emailed FCC and was told they hadn't received my application. I then emailed the ARRL (the VEC for the exams). They got back within a few hours and told me they had screwed up by one digit on my FRN to the FCC. Re-submitted my application with the correct number and I had a callsign in a couple hours. Need to get on the air now!