Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:20 PM

Default Joshua Tree and/or Anzo Borrego camping?

I'm itching to get out camping. The GF and I haven't been out since early September and I'm past due. She got some time off in the first few weeks of Jan so we're gonna head out. I'm looking for some suggestions on where? We've done Idyllwild and Big Bear a few times are looking something different and not as cold for this time of year. IDY and BB are great for spring, summer and fall; I'd just rather not have to deal with the cold since I've got better options.

I've been to JT for some day trips but it's been a few years. Same with AB, been a few times and used to dirt bike in the area when I was a kid but I haven't camped or been out since the 5th wheel and dirt bike days with my family. My GF is a Nor-Cal girl so she's never been to either.

I'm considering both and don't think I could go wrong with either one. I feel JT will have a bit better scenery, more to look at and better hiking and nicer campsites. AB will be more fun to camp where ever we want, I've got a Jeep that loves to off-road (or maybe it's me?) and we'll have a lot more to explore.

I'm looking for suggestions for both, including pros and cons; any advice on trails, hiking, or cool spots to see and/or camp at. Anybody know what the fire restrictions are like currently in these two places also? I know AB can be a bit touchy at times.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2016, 5:16 AM

If you go to AB you will need a fire pit. Look up Sheeps Canyon, nice area and lots of hiking.
Old 12-22-2016, 9:46 AM

Both are great choices. In general I find AB is used by an older, more mellow (quieter) crowd while the JT crowd is younger.

In JT check out Jumbo Rock camp area. It is set up nicely and gives pretty good privacy.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Both are great choices. In general I find AB is used by an older, more mellow (quieter) crowd while the JT crowd is younger.

In JT check out Jumbo Rock camp area. It is set up nicely and gives pretty good privacy.
Very good point that I didn't consider. Thanks Barbarosa! While I'm probably the same age as the "JT younger crowd" I feel I act much much more like the "older, mellow AB crowd". I realize that JT is definitely the "cooler" place to go and that's where all the LA hipters go this time of year. One more thing to think about.

I've heard of Jumbo Rock, I'm sure it's a really cool spot but wonder how busy it'll be this time of year. That's a major pro that I see with AB, lots more room to spread out and I don't have to "stay on the trail".
Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post
If you go to AB you will need a fire pit. Look up Sheeps Canyon, nice area and lots of hiking.
Thanks Cheep, that's what I figured. Any suggestions on what I could find/buy to make a great inexpensive pit? I'll check out Sheeps Canyon too!!
Old 12-22-2016, 12:13 PM
Cantankerous old coot
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Death Valley is pretty nice in the winter and a lot of stuff for you to see!
Old 12-22-2016, 8:02 PM

AB is a great place to camp. One place we always go are the mud caves. Take some flashlights and have a great time exploring. We have a camping book on AB and the fold out map is outstanding to get around. Between the mud caves the wind caves and the badlands views you can't go wrong. Lots of places to explore.

Tony P
Old 12-23-2016, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongSide View Post
Thanks Cheep, that's what I figured. Any suggestions on what I could find/buy to make a great inexpensive pit? I'll check out Sheeps Canyon too!!
A washing machine drum is good but kinda big for hauling around in a Jeep, any metal pan or tray will work.
Old 12-23-2016, 8:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVSmith View Post
Death Valley is pretty nice in the winter and a lot of stuff for you to see!
I did consider DV. It's just that I have closer options. DV is on my long list of places to visit one day!
Old 12-23-2016, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesty3782 View Post
AB is a great place to camp. One place we always go are the mud caves. Take some flashlights and have a great time exploring. We have a camping book on AB and the fold out map is outstanding to get around. Between the mud caves the wind caves and the badlands views you can't go wrong. Lots of places to explore.

Tony P
Thanks Tony, I will for sure be checking out the mud caves. Any idea how I could get my hands on a similar map or book?
Old 12-23-2016, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheep View Post
A washing machine drum is good but kinda big for hauling around in a Jeep, any metal pan or tray will work.
I've heard about the washing machine drums but A) they are very bulky as mentioned and B) I heard the stainless steel ones are hard to come by now days an those are the ones you want. What are my options in terms of buying something at a local hardware store that will do the trick?
Old 12-23-2016, 9:36 AM

Look into a Weber Smokey Joe. It's the 14" version of their kettle. It doubles as a small fire pit and of course you can cook on it too. Vents seal tight so no ash floating around in your car. About $30 on Amazon. The Jumbo Joe is an 18" version.
Old 12-26-2016, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarosa View Post
Look into a Weber Smokey Joe. It's the 14" version of their kettle. It doubles as a small fire pit and of course you can cook on it too. Vents seal tight so no ash floating around in your car. About $30 on Amazon. The Jumbo Joe is an 18" version.
If I didn't already have a portable propane camp stove I'd get one. I can't really see buying two different types of camping stoves.