Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 02-20-2017, 7:43 PM

Default Southern CA BLM Camping and Shooting areas, Help.

Hey guys!
I'll cut straight to the point. I live in Long Beach, CA. My buddies and I like to camp and shoot. I've been going to the Calico mines in Barstow for quite some time, It's fun but I really want to test my skills and shoot more than 100 yards. Does anyone know of a spot that you can camp and shoot in BLM? I have no interest in a shoot range, just wide open BLM land.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2017, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDog85 View Post
Hey guys!
I'll cut straight to the point. I live in Long Beach, CA. My buddies and I like to camp and shoot. I've been going to the Calico mines in Barstow for quite some time, It's fun but I really want to test my skills and shoot more than 100 yards. Does anyone know of a spot that you can camp and shoot in BLM? I have no interest in a shoot range, just wide open BLM land.

Thanks
continue to drive around the area im sure you can find a spot or two that has alot more than 100 yards there.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Default I'm in the same boat

I'm in Venice. I ordered maps from BLM. They were very nice and helpful. Fact is, I still can't seem to find wide open spaces within 100 miles. Out by Victorville, Jawbone Canyon passes Mojave, Taft and Tehacapi. I've heard some say by Lake Elsinore, but where?
When I was a kid, my dad would stop along Sepulveda in the Santa Monica Mountains and we'd shoot. Yeah, that makes me an old fart. Heck, there was a range in Santa Monica and one in the basement of my High School. Yep, I took my rifle to school to practice as part of our schools rifle team(1968). Time have changed.If you find a spot, please tell
Old 04-16-2017, 5:37 PM

Lynnebern,
Glad you posted back. I called Barstow BLM this past Thursday. I was told that I can shoot anywhere NORTH of the 58, Mule Canyon and a small potion EAST of the 247. I'm going camping North of the 58 in a couple of week to scope out the area. I'll let you know if I find something good.

Check out Google Maps on your computer then type in Barstow, CA and you can see what roads I'm talking about. I was also told that I can shoot near Fort Irwin. I was also advise to make sure I was shooting into a backstop, to clean up after my mess and not to shoot on private property unless I have permission.
Old 04-16-2017, 7:12 PM

Past Barstow we can get out to a mile pretty easily, BLM used to publish a good map

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnebern View Post
I've heard some say by Lake Elsinore, but where?
Not anymore. Shut down.
Old 04-23-2017, 7:56 PM

I just got back from Jawbone canyon today.. shooting in the afternoon.
virtually no one around at this time of year.

very nice area.

Kevin Rea
Lancaster, Calif.
Old 04-23-2017, 8:40 PM

Not sure if you want to shoot guns on perfectly flat land, without a nice hill to serve as a backstop, if you know what I mean. You don't want to hit someone who may be a mile or so out, out of your field of view. My friends and I shoot against a hillside at 100 yards at Dove Springs, which is a little past Red Rock and town of Mojave. The hillside makes for a safe shooting area.
Old 04-25-2017, 8:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Free camping at Octillo Wells State recreational vehicle area. They have indoor toilets, sinks and showers too. Drive south to BLM land for shooting. This is the best state park in the state.

Last edited by Jimi Jah; 04-27-2017 at 8:41 AM..
Old 04-25-2017, 12:08 PM

As was mentioned up off the 14 Jawbone and places like that will get you over 100. The BLM maps are really helpful. I have a garmin with the BLM overlay which is really handy when Im out ****ing about. Good Luck. Im in Long Beach Too!! Signal Hill specifically, howdy neighbor.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouDog85 View Post
Hey guys!

Thanks
I'm getting out past a mile, not sure where you guys are camping and shooting in Calico

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2017, 4:51 PM

Also from south Los Angeles, would appreciate any PM's with some details. Thanks!