Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-16-2005, 5:14 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up a 243 WSSM for everything from jack rabbits to yotes to even deer. What do you think? I'm new to the "wsm/wssm" game. I've heard nothing but great review of the 270wsm but I think it may be to large for my task (a step up in tools from my marlin 17vs.) What do you guys think. Anybody with hands on experience?

Thanks in advance for everyones help,
Rob
Old 02-18-2005, 8:58 AM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The 257 Roberts is a very versatile round without the sturdy recoil. If you have to have a wssm consider the new 25. As for optics I love my shepherd scopes. pricey but american made and very easy to use.

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/index.asp

I should do a tetamonial for them, they are that good! I use mine in the sierras in snow and in Bakersfield in the summer, never an issue.
Old 02-16-2005, 5:14 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up a 243 WSSM for everything from jack rabbits to yotes to even deer. What do you think? I'm new to the "wsm/wssm" game. I've heard nothing but great review of the 270wsm but I think it may be to large for my task (a step up in tools from my marlin 17vs.) What do you guys think. Anybody with hands on experience?

Thanks in advance for everyones help,
Rob
Old 02-16-2005, 8:32 PM

A magnum 270 seems like an awful lot to use on jackrabbits and coyotes. The 243, on the other hand, has factory loads for both varmints (55gr) and medium game (95gr and 100gr).
Old 02-17-2005, 4:33 PM

I have a Model 70 Stealth 2 in 243 WSSM. I've fired a few boxes of factory 100 grainers and wasn't impressed with the accuracy. I have yet to reload, hope it will be better. There also seems to be a chambering problem as it is sometimes very hard to close the bolt. I've heard from other 243 WSSM owners who have the same accuracy and chambering problems. I would shy away from this chambering and maybe get a standard 243. You don't gain much with a 243 WSSM vs a 243 Win.
Old 02-16-2005, 8:16 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Only from what I have read. The 270 would expect greater sectional density = better rotation at longer ranges. Otherwise two great calibers. If you are stepping up from the 17 why not the 223wsm or just the 223? Cheaper ammo and more abundant.
Old 02-16-2005, 9:16 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just wasn't very clear when I said stepping up form the 17hmr. I have a few .223's, a few sks's (ie 7.62x39), and some "BIG" calibers as well. I'm looking for a versitle rifle that I can use fom many of the tasks I mentioned. I'm willing to spend "BIG" money on glass for this one gun (I have fair glass on a lot of rifles but I want to step it up on this one gun.) What do you guys/girls think? Should I look for other rifles? Regaurdless what's your take on these calibers? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Rob