Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-16-2009, 9:44 AM

Question Boots question.

I need help finding a good pair of boots for the academy. The requirements are that they must be black, with plain round toe, and be the lace up type but can have a side zipper. They have to be capable of attaining a hi-gloss spit shine and can be 3/4 tall or have full length uppers. I am looking for something light and very breathable as it will be in the upper 90s-100s out during the academy. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Just go get some magnums. They fit that... then toss them out and get Danners for patrol. Danners are too heavy for the academy.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody33 View Post
Just go get some magnums. They fit that... then toss them out and get Danners for patrol. Danners are too heavy for the academy.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:40 AM

like nobody said above, the magnum stealth 2 are perfect for the academy. you should buy two pairs for the academy so you can shine one while you wear the other pair. once the academy is over then just buy danners or the expensive Bates for duty use. good luck in the Academy and stay safe
Old 05-16-2009, 12:18 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 05-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As you grow older you'll appreciate wearing a good set(s) of boots during your younger years. 30+ and no foot problems!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 05-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Agreed. Once you're out on patrol, you really should get some good boots. I was a Paramedic, but I was on my feet all day. With some good boots, my feet were tired at the end of the day, but no blisters, sore spots, no problems! I've worn Hi-Tec Magnum boots. They kind of felt like high-top running shoes. I've never had a pair that lasted more than about a year though. They were pretty cheap... ought to be perfect for your purposes!
Old 05-16-2009, 2:43 PM

I found some Magnum Stealth IIs for $34.99 from here if anyone else is looking. http://www.lapolicegear.com/. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 05-16-2009, 2:50 PM
Jonathan Doe

I used Rocky boots. The ones I used felt like a pair of tennis shoes and very light with good ankle support. I bought 2 pairs and alternated them. It gave me good service for a long time.

Last edited by Jonathan Doe; 05-16-2009 at 8:17 PM..
Old 05-16-2009, 2:56 PM

Default Get 2 pairs of boots

I used Magnums for everyday and had a set of shiny Bates' for inspections. You can shine up both of them but the Bates already very shiny from the get go. Inspections were NO JOKE hence 2 pairs of shoes AND if you live by a shoe shine place USE them the $5+ dollars you spend there will save time and even your Magnums can be "see yourself in them" shiny.

Just my .02
Old 05-16-2009, 7:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I wore a pair of chukkas in the academy. They shined real pretty and were comfortable to wear all day. No real ankle support with them, but back then we didn't do very much physical work in our academy blues.

Out in the field Danners, and later on Rockys. The Rocky medium height was the bomb for me. My feet were never wet, never cold, never hot and never sore.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 05-16-2009, 10:18 PM

I am issued magnums and I f**kin hate them. Not breathable, not durable, made in China, crap.

I wear my old Altama Jungle Boots that were issued to me in boot camp. They are almost a decade old and still chugging along, feel great to wear all day.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:22 PM

I am not a LEO, but use bates boots for hunting and love them.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:09 AM

The new Danner APB's. Best. Boot. Ever.

Sturdy lower of an Arcadia and lighter upper of the GTX. No break in period. I got a pair two weeks ago to replace my GTX's which lasted 5 years. I love them.

Shoe Buy has them at 15% summer sale special. No tax. Free shipping. Great deal.

http://www.shoebuy.com/danner-danner-apb/299703

Last edited by CaliTheKid; 05-17-2009 at 12:12 AM..
Old 05-17-2009, 12:30 AM

for me at least i would go +10 with the magnums / hitecs

-1 for the rockies
-5 for the bates

bates fell apart after 3 months of using on the job. stitching came undone and there was some separation between the upper and sole. maybe i am being prejudiced about the magnums because i have been wearing them since they first came out while in the USMC. i buy them myself for duty even when issued 511 boots. if i remember correctly, bates makes the 511 boots for them? when trying to look pimp in uniform, i would have to hand it to bates lites. been wearing those since boot camp. i wouldn't mind trying some swat boots and warrior wear ones.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:32 AM

oh, almost forgot. the other most important half of footwear is to get some very good boot socks. trust me on that.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:22 AM

I wear the 511 zip side when I really have to be in compliance.

Any other time I wear the Adidas gsg-9. Spending the last ten years in boots I can say these are by far the most comfortable boots I've worn... just wish they were a little better at being non-slip. I good scrubbing of surf wax on the bottom of the boot solves that though.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac02 View Post

...I wear the Adidas gsg-9.

This.

I cannot stress how awesome these boots are. I bought 4 pair a year ago when there was a good sale going.

Still working on my first set and they are as comfortable as ever...cant really polish them to a mirror shine however
Old 05-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Hmmm Lemme guess your goin to work for CDCR. The description you gave is right out of D.O.M. Departmental Operation Manual.

For the record I wear Danners.

Yoda
Old 05-18-2009, 8:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I like my 5.11 6-in boots for duty. They shine up very nicely.
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 05-18-2009, 4:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I should have the magnums in a day or so, and will report back if I like them or not.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Boots

Hands down the best boot is the Bates "Ultra light" checkout all the reviews at inland uniforms. I personally think danners and rocky's are too heavy. The bates cost me around $60-$70 dollars. Everyone I know who has bought a pair will never go back. After about 5 coats of polish they shined like no other. One last thing a little help for you. Go to a Home depot and buy a bottle of Mop and Glow and some cotton balls. Once you have a good shine on them take a little mop and glo on a cotton ball and wipe it all over the boot. It doesnt crack and when you go to polish them the next time it has no effect on polishing.
Old 05-20-2009, 7:30 AM

Default RE: Adidas GSG-9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triad View Post
This.

I cannot stress how awesome these boots are. I bought 4 pair a year ago when there was a good sale going.

Still working on my first set and they are as comfortable as ever...cant really polish them to a mirror shine however

During my time in the Marine Corps and then in the department.... my reply to anyone commenting on the condition of my boots.

"The beauty of my footwear is no indication of my job performance. In fact, in my line of work, the better my boots look is probably an indication of my lack of proactive policing."
Old 05-20-2009, 12:10 PM

Any quality boot can be spit shined to a high gloss. It just takes a while and is a pain.

I wore Rocky's in the academy. They were very comfortable once broken in. Still have them. Treated the with Leather Luster and now only wear them with class A. Do not use Leather Luster while in the academy though, you'll be pushing for days!

Since the academy, I've tried quite a few. Bates, Magnum, SWAT, 5.11, even Galls. I finally bought a pair of Danners and they are awesome. Worth every penny. The lightweight Danners would be fine for the academy. I think they are called GSX but I can't remember off the top of my head.

If you are concerned about your spit shine and hate doing it as much as I did, buy a second cheap pair of boots for d-tac if you can afford it.

Of the boots I've worn, 5.11 by far wore out the fastest. The inside lining deteriorated to almost nothing in record time.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM

This is a wonderful thread. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05-23-2009, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody33 View Post
+1 for the Magnums. Keep them until you start working, then go to the Danners. Buy the boots a few weeks before graduation because they take awhile to break in (at least for me, anyway). You don't want your feet to hurt on your first day on Patrol. Once broken in, Danners fit like a glove.
Old 05-27-2009, 7:08 PM

"Leather luster" if done right will be your best friend when it comes to a good quality spit shine
Old 05-29-2009, 8:18 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I've got two pair of Magnums that I like a lot. Not love, but like 'em and am very happy with them for fifty bucks a piece. They shine up fairly well and are comfortable for all day wear, even during our early inspections and long range days.

BUY GOOD SOCKS!!! The absolute best boot socks I have found yet are Thorogoods. They're made in the USA and are about 8 bucks a pair, but they're freaking awesome. They breath well, come out of the boot dry at the end of the day, have antibacterial something so that they don't stink and are ungodly comfortable. And they seem to last forever too. When I quit my Federal job I used the last of my uniform allowance to stock up on these socks and I haven't had to buy any new socks yet. They're awesome. Thick and comfy and breathy and comfy and...can't say enough good about 'em!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Don't buy "Response Gear" boots. They are JUNK. I bought a pair when I was short on cash and they wore out in about 8 months and never took a deceny shine.

I've had great luck with Rockys and Magnums.

Good Luck !

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 06-06-2009, 7:13 PM

I am a Danner Acadia guy myself. I have several pairs with three different levels of insulation for each season. I am going to try the Danner APB next time around.

Live life like a dog
If you can't lick it,eat it,chew it or screw it,
Piss on it and walk away
Old 06-08-2009, 7:48 AM

Danners are way to heavy for my taste. especially for the academy. Bates or 5.11.
Old 06-08-2009, 7:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Not a LEO but a big +1 for bates lites. Ive been wearing them for MC training and they are definitely the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 11-24-2009, 11:49 PM

I'm about to become an EMT, has anyone tried any of the boot from Oakley?
Old 11-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

I used Rockies and they were pretty comfortable; in fact, I still have them tho retired, but do not use them very much.

As far as paying $5 to have someone shine them, we did things differently. God made trustys for our shoe shine use (not in the academy of course). Put the boots in the rack or give them to the trusty. Return to duty the next day and they are nice and shiny. A couple of dollars did the trick.
Old 11-25-2009, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12gauge12 View Post
I'm about to become an EMT, has anyone tried any of the boot from Oakley?
I used to love the old Oakley 'Special Forces' - Superb quality and worth every penny of the $200 to $250 they cost.

Unfortunately their current boots, which are direct descendants, are horrible. I've gone through 2 pair in less then a year. Whereas the old model last me 5+ years,

I'm lookin at something from 5.11 Tactical now...
Old 11-25-2009, 4:29 PM

I have 3 sets(uninsulated, 200gm and 400gm) of Danner Acadia boots , 5.11 ATAC and 5.11 XPRT Patrol. I love the Danners, only downside is they are heavy but last forever. The 5.11 ATACS are great summer and all around very comfortable boots, light as a feather. The 5.11 XPRT Patrol boot just plain sucks in my opinion compared to the ATAC, uncomfortable and extremely noisy heel on concrete.

Live life like a dog
If you can't lick it,eat it,chew it or screw it,
Piss on it and walk away
Old 11-25-2009, 5:02 PM
Super Moderator

Since we are talking about boots, I have a little funny on me I'd like to share.

I dont' know what brand they were, but they had zippers on the side. After I had them for a couple of years, the zippers would start falling down a bit. I should have either had them fixed or bought a new pair, but I didn't until one day.....

I got in a foot pursuit of a 459 suspect at a grocery store. While I was chasing him (he finally stopped at the church when he saw the minister), I literally stepped out of one of the shoes. The zipper had fallen all the way down. Since I was afraid the kid would take off, I put it back on quickly and hobbled over to him without zipping it up. After I cuffed him, I did.

Bought some new boots the next day.
Old 11-25-2009, 6:11 PM

ha ha i got issued Danners, yes it sucks to run in them

liberals want my guns and conservatives want my porn, im not willing to part with either

A man is a man his whole life, a woman is a woman until she becomes your wife.
-Al Bundy
Old 11-25-2009, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Since we are talking about boots, I have a little funny on me I'd like to share.

I dont' know what brand they were, but they had zippers on the side. After I had them for a couple of years, the zippers would start falling down a bit. I should have either had them fixed or bought a new pair, but I didn't until one day.....

I got in a foot pursuit of a 459 suspect at a grocery store. While I was chasing him (he finally stopped at the church when he saw the minister), I literally stepped out of one of the shoes. The zipper had fallen all the way down. Since I was afraid the kid would take off, I put it back on quickly and hobbled over to him without zipping it up. After I cuffed him, I did.

Bought some new boots the next day.
Ugh, bad memories of getting my boot laces caught on the top of a 6' chain link fence resulting in a direct faceplant into a concrete park bench
Old 11-25-2009, 7:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
Ugh, bad memories of getting my boot laces caught on the top of a 6' chain link fence resulting in a direct faceplant into a concrete park bench
You win. (or lose depending how you want to look at it)