Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-14-2009, 7:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default IMPORTANT: Sykes and Gary Gorski

All,

In researching the Sykes case, we ran across two CCW cases from Gary Gorski entitled Mehl v. Blanas, 03-CV-2682-MCE-KJM and Rothery v. Blanas, 08-CV-2064-JAM-KJM. You can read the 80 page complaint alleging a RICO conspiracy in Rothery here. Rothery remains in the Eastern District at the District Court level.

Mehl is a carry case with two plaintiffs. One was one of the plaintiffs from Silveira. The other is a former FBI agent who was discharged apparently for stress and mental disorders from the FBI who took his automobile and firearm away.

Mehl is in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals on appeal from this loss in front of Judge Morrison England, Jr. who we also have in Sykes. The Court of Appeals will hear the case on June 11. Mehl is a serious risk that I will elaborate upon below.

Due to Federal Rules of Civil Procedure we had to give notice to the Eastern District that Sykes might be related to Mehl and Rothery and this was Alan Gura's filing.

Due to the potential for Mehl to be detrimental to everyone's right to carry in the Ninth Circuit, Don Kilmer, Alan Gura, and I made an attempt to reach out to Gary Gorski and see if we could come to an agreement to let Sykes move forward without facing the risks of Mehl in the Court of Appeals. Our efforts elicited this email from Gary Gorski to me. The email was blind copied to a long list of people which was attested to by the number of replies it received. I believe the email speaks for itself and should be read in its entirety. Suffice it to say that Mr. Gorski's arguments are to be taken with a strong grain of salt since his handle on basic facts is not strong.

After the Judge in Sykes denied our motion of related case (which is what everyone would prefer), Mr. Gorski filed this and amongst other things, incorrectly asked for sanctions against Alan Gura. Gorski's filing was moot as Judge England had already ruled on the motion Gorski opposed after his ruling.

We will not know what three judge panel Mehl will have until 10 days before argument on June 11. If the case gets the wrong panel, that panel can rule conclusively that there is no right to carry in California and could conflict with the Nordyke panel to cause Incorporation in California to go en banc with Mr. Gorski as counsel for the Second Amendment in that en banc appeal. This would be a worse actual outcome from Silveira as it could actually destroy the gains we've made so far. Further, depending on timing and the exact ruling Mr. Gorski is given by the appeals panel, Sykes could be mooted.

I post this as I want to make sure this community understands that we are faced with a systemic risk to the advancement of the Second Amendment in California. All is not lost as the final outcome of Mehl may very well be a reverse and remand, which will allow the Sykes case to go forward. However, this is why you often hear a lot of us ask people to not move forward with litigation prematurely or without using the seasoned firearms counsel in the state.

-Gene

Edited to add: You can find the attachments to the email above here: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/gorski/

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon

Last edited by hoffmang; 05-14-2009 at 8:16 PM..
Old 05-14-2009, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

He seems a little confused about who litigated Nordyke, among many other things...

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:08 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And professionalism! My, what cogent argument and adherence to the niceties!
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrook’s “Law of Doomsaying”: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away — soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-14-2009, 8:08 PM
Head Janitor

What an arrogant JACKWAD!!!

Are you sure he's not being financed by the Brady Campaign?

His ego is going to destroy all we've done and screw us all.
What a great 'friend and ally'...
The California Rifle & Pistol Assoc. - Director.
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CRPA.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:18 PM

Is there anything we can do?
Old 05-14-2009, 8:20 PM

Solid body waste!
Old 05-14-2009, 8:29 PM
DDT

Very entertaining. Sure wish the stakes weren't so high with Gorski behind the table.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Regardless of which case is first, none of this is good for the common cause....

Pull it together.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Gene,

Thank you for things like this. Your energy amazes me.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:33 PM

...so the guy that helped screw california in silveira is now attempting to 'undercut' the two attorneys that have made the sykes case possible?

Any chance we can get him to drop his case and take up the right to keep and bear peacock feathers instead?
Old 05-14-2009, 8:38 PM

Wow...just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:39 PM

God, please change Gorski's heart. If not that, please strike him dead. In Christ's name...

Ryan
Bless, O Lord, this creature beer, which thou hast deigned to produce from the fat of grain: that it may be a salutary remedy to the human race, and grant through the invocation of thy holy name; that, whoever shall drink it, may gain health in body and peace in soul. Through Christ our Lord. Amen
Old 05-14-2009, 8:39 PM

How can he still have a license...
Old 05-14-2009, 8:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's a shame that there's always some fraction of a movement who are off their rocker.

You should also warn people that email is NSFW

**--> An interesting Chronicle article on Gorski.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...sn=001&sc=1000

Google Map of OLL Dealers

List of CA-friendly Manufacturers, Dealers, Middlemen, and Magazine rebuild kit dealers
Click me-->So you're a n00b and you want to build an AR? <--Click me
This post is based on actual events. Some facts may be altered for dramatic purposes. All posts are pure opinion. All persons, living and dead, are purely coincidental, and should not be construed.

Last edited by aplinker; 05-14-2009 at 9:10 PM..
Old 05-14-2009, 8:52 PM

Would it be possible to file a suit against him on behalf of all pro-2A supporters in the state of California? Maybe try to get his license to practice revoked?!
Old 05-14-2009, 8:56 PM
Veteran Member

Wow that letter is so awesomely UNPROFESSIONAL!
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:00 PM
Live Free Or Die
CGN Contributor

So are you going to sit down with him over a pint per his offer?

-Jason
Old 05-14-2009, 9:00 PM

I wonder if some kind of collective complaint to the California Bar would slow his case down. Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:03 PM

What is the grounds for the Mehl appeal?

Didn't the court just say that the Plaintiffs have no standing, therefore there is no case? Couldn't the appeals court say the same thing and dismiss?

Missing something here I think.

BTW, this guy is a tool that needs to go away. There is a study that show incompetent people are incapable of recognizing it in themselves and/or others. This guy is so incompetent and he doesn't even see it.....

Can't the case be vacated or something???
Old 05-14-2009, 9:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobB35 View Post
What is the grounds for the Mehl appeal?

Didn't the court just say that the Plaintiffs have no standing, therefore there is no case? Couldn't the appeals court say the same thing and dismiss?

Missing something here I think.
It is quite possible that the court of appeals could just affirm the dismissal. However, you aren't missing something.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 05-14-2009, 9:06 PM

Regardless of your opinion at least he as a pair and isn't afraid to speak what is on his mind with colorful detail, even if he is wrong.
Old 05-14-2009, 9:08 PM

Oh. My. God.
There are certain rights that are not to be subject to popular votes, otherwise they are not fundamental rights. If every fundamental liberty can be stripped away by a majority vote, then it's not a fundamental liberty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyhog
When the governor vetoes a bill that would make it a felony to steal a gun, but signs a bill into law that makes it a felony not to register a gun you already legally own, you know something isn't right.
Old 05-14-2009, 9:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I guess the Army and Rugby failed to teach him anything about teamwork.

Egomaniacs like him do much more harm than good to everything they touch.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 05-14-2009, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
Wow...just wow.
This-to-the-tenth-power. Seriously.
Old 05-14-2009, 9:10 PM
Veteran Member

I think that Mr. Gorski should take some of the medicine that he offered to Mr. Gura.
Old 05-14-2009, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

What pissed the guy off so much?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorensen440 View Post
What pissed the guy off so much?
As far as I can tell, this document was the only thing upon which he has a rational basis to react. The email came to my inbox before Don, Alan, or I had so much as spoken to him or emailed him.

-Gene

DONATE NOW

Old 05-14-2009, 9:17 PM

Wow.... This guy needs to calm down and learn how to type out a professional email....

How is he still in practice ANYWHERE!

I feel very sad...
Old 05-14-2009, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Lacks a good deal of loquaciousness for an attorney, does he not? Double-negatives? Expletives?

Old 05-14-2009, 9:19 PM

Wait a minute. Do I understand correctly that this could have a detrimental effect on incorporation? Is that right? Sorry guys but I'm not a lawyer. What effect will this have on our efforts of getting rid of the AW ban and handgun safety list?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
As far as I can tell, this document was the only thing upon which he has a rational basis to react. The email came to my inbox before Don, Alan, or I had so much as spoken to him or emailed him.

-Gene
What a punk

Sounds like he is just a hack
Old 05-14-2009, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgunz View Post
Regardless of your opinion at least he as a pair and isn't afraid to speak what is on his mind with colorful detail, even if he is wrong.
Actually, he is not speaking his mind. He is letting emotion and immaturity get in the way. It's clear he is incapable of conveying a thought with focused effectiveness.

Old 05-14-2009, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion_D View Post
Wait a minute. Do I understand correctly that this could have a detrimental effect on incorporation? Is that right? Sorry guys but I'm not a lawyer.
Nordyke is the incorporation case. Sykes is a Carry Case. They're different cases. Gorksi's cases could have a negative impact on what the Sykes case is trying to do. At least that's how I understand it.
Old 05-14-2009, 9:29 PM

What I love about the email is that Gooberski calls the attorney (Gura) who argued before the Supreme court of the US the Heller case (and won) an absolute idiot and f*** up - does he even know who Gura is?.....my original statement stands, this guy is a tool
Old 05-14-2009, 9:34 PM

What did Alan say about that email?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion_D View Post
Wait a minute. Do I understand correctly that this could have a detrimental effect on incorporation? Is that right? Sorry guys but I'm not a lawyer. What effect will this have on our efforts of getting rid of the AW ban and handgun safety list?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Nordyke is the incorporation case. Sykes is a Carry Case. They're different cases. Gorksi's cases could have a negative impact on what the Sykes case is trying to do. At least that's how I understand it.
If Gorski's case results in an en-banc appeals hearing at the 9th circuit, the hearing could possibly negatively impact the Nordyke ruling and CCW in CA. As far as the effects on the AW ban and the Handgun roster, it could effectively render everyone's effort moot if Gorski doesn't get the job done right.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Well. That was an exceedingly professional letter...

It appears that he's got a little jealousy issue.

That's unfortunate.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05-14-2009, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amurphy View Post
How is he still in practice ANYWHERE!
Look at how long it took for Jack Thompson to get disbarred, even after the kinds of stuff he included in court filings.
Old 05-14-2009, 9:41 PM

What about Gorski's claims about standing with regard to the Sykes appellants?
Old 05-14-2009, 9:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Definitely a "member" of the bar ....