Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 08-23-2005, 8:15 PM

Hey, anybody got anything to report on deer sightings and/or kills from D-7 & D-6 on opening weekend? Going up tomorrow (Wed) for the day (D-7) Fresno Dome area. Anything happening? Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
Old 09-10-2005, 5:28 AM

I live out in the county, in the Sierra foothills. It’s dry as a bone at this time a year. About a month ago a guy down the road starting running a residential sprinkler on a small patch of parched pasture. I thought, WTF? The small patch eventually greened up. Then one morning I drove by on the way to work and saw a monster buck grazing. Now I understand.
Old 09-10-2005, 9:22 PM

Update: last week I was still-hunting a ridge while my partner was waiting at the truck and I jumped a respectable 3x3, he literally ran right into my buddy's lap. He stuck him at 30 to 40 yards. The rack was 19 inches across and 17 high. Saw a total of 9 legal bucks and 23 does in four days, just couldn't get close enough to em' and they were all hanging back from the roads 50 to 60 yards up hill. Didn't see anything down hill...except the one I jumped. the area we hunt starts at about 7000 ft. elevation. LOTS of feed, a fair amount of seepage, springs, run-off, streams etc. Not much noticable sign, though. Our theory is that with the late spring wet weather, the usually dried-up-by-now water sources are still running, there's plenty of feed and very little hunter pressure, so they just aren't moving in search of food, water, protection, bedding areas. That might explain why darn near every hunter in the area that we talked to all said that they ain't seen sh@t. Of course, things will change once rifle season opens up on the 17th. It doesn't look real good for road hunting, but still-hunting and/or a tree stand or blind should work, IMHO. Just gotta get out of the truck and put some miles in. Good luck and straight shootin', guys. Be safe out there. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
Old 08-24-2005, 6:37 AM

Best wishes on your hunt. I would love to do archery hunting, but don't have no idea where to start. Well get a bow 1st. Do you know of a archery range in the S.F. bay area? Hope you knock one down.
Old 09-09-2005, 2:01 PM

The Bow Rack in San Pablo is big on hunting bows. They also had an indoor range for practice.

That's where I got mine, so many years ago. Never did go hunting with it.
Old 08-24-2005, 8:29 AM

There is a place in Newark called Archery Only. They have all kinds of bows and a range in the back.. they give lessons with bow purchase too.