Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Liberty Optics-REMOVED-
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Liberty Optics-REMOVED- Hosted by Scott Berish, Owner of Liberty Optics

Old 08-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3llpl3ss View Post
Just ordered my 6-24x50 today. Do they come with rings for picatinny mounts?
No, no rings included.

Thanks for the order.

Scott
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Scott's cell number: 406-291-8250
Old 09-13-2009, 5:23 PM

Default Crossfire 4-16x50 AO

I'm new here, hoping that I can get a little advice on scopes. I hope I'm not imposing by talking a lot at first so you'll know what I'd like to find.

I'm not new to shooting. I grew up in a family of big game hunters -- mule deer, elk, etc., mostly in Utah and Wyoming. But I am new to shooting serious long distances. Forty years ago, we shot fixed powers, plain crosshairs, nothing fancy. With those scopes, any kill over 400 yards gave us serious bragging rights.

After 25 years of not shooting at all, I'm getting back into it with a Remington 700 30-06 that I picked up for a song (Mountain Rifle DM with just 10 rounds fired through it -- $395), and I'm looking at scopes, with a hankering for long range shooting. I realize that I'm not going to be shooting out to 1000 yards -- or even 600 -- any time soon. I'm not going to enter the Olympics; don't feel like taking Mark Wahlberg's place in the next 'Shooter' movie, etc.

I just like shooting at targets that are a helluva long way off.

My local dealer wants me to buy a Leupold, at least a VX1. My brother thinks I ought to get a Cabela's Big Game Tactical. Somewhere in between those two, I suspect, is a good first time scope for me, understanding that it will be a long time before my shooting skills will compliment even a mid-level ($400 - $800) scope.

I want to get comfortable with mil-dots for ranging, and MOA turrets for dialing in the math. I don't feel like I need power over 10 because IF (big if) I ever get proficient at 1,000 yards, it'll be at silhouettes, not 8" circles. But I can certainly live with 4-16 (there's a 10 in there somewhere ). And frankly, I don't really need a 50mm obj. When the light is low, I'm usually just getting out of bed or getting ready to eat dinner. Not shooting targets.

I like the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x fixed. But I'm not crazy about the lack of parallax adjustment. I've been looking at the Falcon Menace over on snipercentral, as well as the Super Sniper (SWFA), but I don't really like the skeleton reticle. And while the FFP placement is a cool concept, my eyes aren't good enough to quickly catch the downsized reticle at 4x on a busy background. (I can do math well enough to compensate at powers that are divisibles of the mil-dot fix.) Neither of those scopes have a warranty that makes me feel cozy. And... nobody can tell me where I can actually buy one. UK only, and that's iffy. Besides all that, they're a little more than I want to spend.

BTW, I saw a Menace knockoff by Famous Maker for about half the price. Interesting, but I'm pretty sure it's 'buyer beware' across the board -- no warranty at all. Probably junk.

Now, today, I'm surfing the net and find this Crossfire 4-16x50. (Is it just me, or does anybody else find that choices increase exponentially with each hour on the internet? (Good thing/bad thing).)

This looks like a decent scope for its price point. Good warranty from a company that makes some pretty serious optical hardware.

This is what I'm narrowing it down to:

10x fixed power and fixed parallax (Bushnell 3200 or comparable); or variable (in the neighborhood of 4-14 or 16) with parallax correction (Crossfire or comparable).

Understanding that my first scope will be around $200 (despite wanting it to be free), and knowing that it will probably sit on the 700 for a couple of years of weekend shooting before I'm good enough to justify spending $500 or more on an upgrade (and I may never reach that point), I'd like to be so bold as to ask the esteemed membership here (Scott or anybody else) this:

For around $200, which do you think would be a better scope for shooting MOA at 100 yards, hitting a pie tin at 400 and someday, maybe, being able to hit a 36" piece of paper at a thousand?:

Crossfire 4-16x50 AO or the Bushnell 3200 10x40.

As I mentioned above, I'd like mil-dots and MOA turrets.

For what it's worth, I shoot a 9mm SR9 and a 20" Mossberg 500 almost every weekend. I live about 15 minutes away from an area where I can set targets up at any distance, and shoot safely. It's out of the city and away from highways, etc. In fact, around here, there's a lot more places you can shoot than you can't. Arizona's mostly open desert, and nobody cares if you're setting up an avenue of ranged silhouettes from 50 to 500, as long as your bullet catch is a mountain. Like Montana, Arizona is big on guns, big on owning them, and real big on shooting them. (Cops around here like the idea that about 1 in 5 people are trained and licensed to carry concealed; it has a way of discouraging violent crime)

Anyway, I figured it was high time to get back into high-powered rifle shooting. Got a deal on the Remington, and now I hope I can get some good advice on a scope.

Thanks for putting up with such a long and rambling post. It's about the Crossfire scope, so I hope it's not out of place on this thread.

God bless and good shooting to everyone.

Dane
Old 09-28-2009, 9:00 AM

Not sure where else to put this, but just a comment on Liberty Optics:
I ordered a scope from Scott Friday evening and got an email this morning (Monday) saying it's shipping today. Regardless of any issues I may have with the scope itself, which would not be Scott's fault, the prompt message and a forum member discount let's me know that I probably won't have any problems getting help if I need it. Thanks Scott.
you go to an orientation to become oriented, not orientated
I'm not anal, I just pay attention to detail
one more thing, a Land Cruiser is NOT a jeep
Old 09-28-2009, 8:53 PM

Dane,

20eye and 48obj it is! Going out tomorrow. Thanks for the purchase!

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gDane View Post
I'm new here, hoping that I can get a little advice on scopes. I hope I'm not imposing by talking a lot at first so you'll know what I'd like to find.

I'm not new to shooting. I grew up in a family of big game hunters -- mule deer, elk, etc., mostly in Utah and Wyoming. But I am new to shooting serious long distances. Forty years ago, we shot fixed powers, plain crosshairs, nothing fancy. With those scopes, any kill over 400 yards gave us serious bragging rights.

After 25 years of not shooting at all, I'm getting back into it with a Remington 700 30-06 that I picked up for a song (Mountain Rifle DM with just 10 rounds fired through it -- $395), and I'm looking at scopes, with a hankering for long range shooting. I realize that I'm not going to be shooting out to 1000 yards -- or even 600 -- any time soon. I'm not going to enter the Olympics; don't feel like taking Mark Wahlberg's place in the next 'Shooter' movie, etc.

I just like shooting at targets that are a helluva long way off.

My local dealer wants me to buy a Leupold, at least a VX1. My brother thinks I ought to get a Cabela's Big Game Tactical. Somewhere in between those two, I suspect, is a good first time scope for me, understanding that it will be a long time before my shooting skills will compliment even a mid-level ($400 - $800) scope.

I want to get comfortable with mil-dots for ranging, and MOA turrets for dialing in the math. I don't feel like I need power over 10 because IF (big if) I ever get proficient at 1,000 yards, it'll be at silhouettes, not 8" circles. But I can certainly live with 4-16 (there's a 10 in there somewhere ). And frankly, I don't really need a 50mm obj. When the light is low, I'm usually just getting out of bed or getting ready to eat dinner. Not shooting targets.

I like the Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x fixed. But I'm not crazy about the lack of parallax adjustment. I've been looking at the Falcon Menace over on snipercentral, as well as the Super Sniper (SWFA), but I don't really like the skeleton reticle. And while the FFP placement is a cool concept, my eyes aren't good enough to quickly catch the downsized reticle at 4x on a busy background. (I can do math well enough to compensate at powers that are divisibles of the mil-dot fix.) Neither of those scopes have a warranty that makes me feel cozy. And... nobody can tell me where I can actually buy one. UK only, and that's iffy. Besides all that, they're a little more than I want to spend.

BTW, I saw a Menace knockoff by Famous Maker for about half the price. Interesting, but I'm pretty sure it's 'buyer beware' across the board -- no warranty at all. Probably junk.

Now, today, I'm surfing the net and find this Crossfire 4-16x50. (Is it just me, or does anybody else find that choices increase exponentially with each hour on the internet? (Good thing/bad thing).)

This looks like a decent scope for its price point. Good warranty from a company that makes some pretty serious optical hardware.

This is what I'm narrowing it down to:

10x fixed power and fixed parallax (Bushnell 3200 or comparable); or variable (in the neighborhood of 4-14 or 16) with parallax correction (Crossfire or comparable).

Understanding that my first scope will be around $200 (despite wanting it to be free), and knowing that it will probably sit on the 700 for a couple of years of weekend shooting before I'm good enough to justify spending $500 or more on an upgrade (and I may never reach that point), I'd like to be so bold as to ask the esteemed membership here (Scott or anybody else) this:

For around $200, which do you think would be a better scope for shooting MOA at 100 yards, hitting a pie tin at 400 and someday, maybe, being able to hit a 36" piece of paper at a thousand?:

Crossfire 4-16x50 AO or the Bushnell 3200 10x40.

As I mentioned above, I'd like mil-dots and MOA turrets.

For what it's worth, I shoot a 9mm SR9 and a 20" Mossberg 500 almost every weekend. I live about 15 minutes away from an area where I can set targets up at any distance, and shoot safely. It's out of the city and away from highways, etc. In fact, around here, there's a lot more places you can shoot than you can't. Arizona's mostly open desert, and nobody cares if you're setting up an avenue of ranged silhouettes from 50 to 500, as long as your bullet catch is a mountain. Like Montana, Arizona is big on guns, big on owning them, and real big on shooting them. (Cops around here like the idea that about 1 in 5 people are trained and licensed to carry concealed; it has a way of discouraging violent crime)

Anyway, I figured it was high time to get back into high-powered rifle shooting. Got a deal on the Remington, and now I hope I can get some good advice on a scope.

Thanks for putting up with such a long and rambling post. It's about the Crossfire scope, so I hope it's not out of place on this thread.

God bless and good shooting to everyone.

Dane
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543
Old 09-28-2009, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtrout View Post
Not sure where else to put this, but just a comment on Liberty Optics:
I ordered a scope from Scott Friday evening and got an email this morning (Monday) saying it's shipping today. Regardless of any issues I may have with the scope itself, which would not be Scott's fault, the prompt message and a forum member discount let's me know that I probably won't have any problems getting help if I need it. Thanks Scott.
Thanks for the order! Shipped today! Calgunner discount applied.

Scott
Scott@LibertyOptics.com
406-827-6543