Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-06-2009, 3:50 PM

Default At what age

did you buy your kid their first firearm. I've decided it will be a classic 10/22, no handguns so he can't shoot himself accidently.

Thoughts?
Old 05-06-2009, 3:58 PM

i have 3 kids. my oldest (15) doesn't want to shoot but my 2 younger ones love to. i just bought the 2 of them (my 8yo son and my 10yo daughter) a 10/22. the first gun they've ever fired was my glock 17.
Old 05-06-2009, 4:17 PM

It depends on the kid, IMO.

My 7YO is way too excitable and probably won't be ready until his teens, at the earliest.

My 5YO is far more level-headed and might be ready sooner.

Of course, my wife (not thrilled about guns at all) probably won't let either shoot until way past their prime.
Old 05-06-2009, 4:57 PM
Jonathan Doe

My children started at about 5 years old with a Chipmunk 22LR. Now they are grown, I don't need the Chipmunk any longer. But, I guess I will keep it for the heck of it for the sake of the signature on it.

Old 05-06-2009, 5:09 PM

I wish my parent got me into shooting at a young age. Would have called it quality time..
Old 05-06-2009, 5:14 PM

I got A Remington 870 12g Magnum for my first gun on my tenth birthday. It aint no 10/22
Old 05-06-2009, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
My children started at about 5 years old with a Chipmunk 22LR. Now they are grown, I don't need the Chipmunk any longer. But, I guess I will keep it for the heck of it for the sake of the signature on it.

Looks like those were autographed by Arnold Schwarzenegger?
Old 05-06-2009, 5:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wasn't allowed to shoot until I got my first single shot .22 at the ripe old age of 12. I think my mom had a lot to do with it. I have taken kids as young as 5 or 6 shooting. Although, it does depend on the individual maturity level, I feel that getting over the curiosity factor and learning how to safely handle firearms should be done asap! Also, I prefer to teach people how to shoot with a non-repeating rifle. That way they don't just learn to spray and pray. Instead, they take their time and learn proper shooting techniques.
Old 05-06-2009, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I wasn't allowed to shoot until I got my first single shot .22 at the ripe old age of 12. I think my mom had a lot to do with it. I have taken kids as young as 5 or 6 shooting. Although, it does depend on the individual maturity level, I feel that getting over the curiosity factor and learning how to safely handle firearms should be done asap! Also, I prefer to teach people how to shoot with a non-repeating rifle. That way they don't just learn to spray and pray. Instead, they take their time and learn proper shooting techniques.
i concure. i firmly believe that most of these accedental child shootings can be avoided my simple removing the curiosity factor. it's when you get the combination of curiosity and ignorance that accedents happen and children get hurt. yes adults also get hurt due to ignorance. but once again if you start them out early, that removes the curiosity and the ignorance. that is why when i bring home a new toy, the first thing i do is gather up the youngens. i go over the safety rules of handling a firearm and them make them demonstrate the safe handling of THAT PARTICULAR WEAPON. (IE keep finger off the trigger, muzzle control, place it on safe, verify it's unloaded (both visualy and physically). i make them do this with EVERY firearm i own. reguardless of weather i think the gun is too powerful for them or not. they have handled and made safe every firearm i own, from glock17 to ruger m77 7mm rem mag. my wife disagreed with me at first untill i pulled a test on the kids with her knowing what was going on. i left my glock out on the counter with a telltale for 3 days and it never moved. then i asked my kids to show mommy how to make a gun safe... she never questioned me again on the subject after that.
Old 05-06-2009, 6:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongfoo View Post
i concure. i firmly believe that most of these accedental child shootings can be avoided my simple removing the curiosity factor. it's when you get the combination of curiosity and ignorance that accedents happen and children get hurt. yes adults also get hurt due to ignorance. but once again if you start them out early, that removes the curiosity and the ignorance. that is why when i bring home a new toy, the first thing i do is gather up the youngens. i go over the safety rules of handling a firearm and them make them demonstrate the safe handling of THAT PARTICULAR WEAPON. (IE keep finger off the trigger, muzzle control, place it on safe, verify it's unloaded (both visualy and physically). i make them do this with EVERY firearm i own. reguardless of weather i think the gun is too powerful for them or not. they have handled and made safe every firearm i own, from glock17 to ruger m77 7mm rem mag. my wife disagreed with me at first untill i pulled a test on the kids with her knowing what was going on. i left my glock out on the counter with a telltale for 3 days and it never moved. then i asked my kids to show mommy how to make a gun safe... she never questioned me again on the subject after that.
Old 05-06-2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Slow View Post
did you buy your kid their first firearm. I've decided it will be a classic 10/22, no handguns so he can't shoot himself accidently.

Thoughts?
im 15. Got my first firearm at 15.

Id have to say its good bonding material and probably one of the only reasons i have a relationship with my dad today.

But only if your son is interested.

Id say let him know what a gun is and when he starts asking for one its time.
Old 05-06-2009, 6:40 PM

also, I Dont think its the age you should be worrying about.

Its the safety and respect he demonstrates with firearms before you go about getting one of his own.

So once he starts showing that your good to go.

How old is he?
Old 05-06-2009, 6:50 PM

I bought my son his .22 pistol for his 7th birthday. Prior to that I worked him up from pellet gun to shooting my other guns then bought him his own when he showed the skill, maturity and ability to safely handle a loaded weapon that could kill dad...

I thought about getting him a youth stock for one of my 10/22s but haven't got around to that. Maybe for his 8th birthday.

No doubt there are people - even gun advocates - that probably think 7 is too young to own a gun but I would disagree. It probably is too young for most or many kids but it depends on the training, intellect and maturity of the child in question.

I'll really go out on a limb here which will almost certainly get me flamed.

I am working in CA and my family is in AZ - just my wife and son there. Like any father/husband I worry for their safety since I am not there to protect them. We all know the police can't protect them so they have to be able to protect themselves in the event a home invasion occurs. Can you see where this is going.....

I keep handguns loaded in the house, out of plain site of course, but accessible to my family in the event they need to use one to protect themselves. I know for a fact - for a fact - that my son would never, ever, ever do anything dangerous or careless with those weapons. A gun locked up in a safe, not loaded is of absolutely, positively no use if an invasion occurs. They WILL remain accessible. If there is company at the house the guns are stashed away of course...

Sorry for the rant, this thread just got me thinking about children and guns and my personal situation.

NRA Member
Old 05-06-2009, 6:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
How did you get Arnold Schwarzenegger to sign those? lol

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 05-06-2009, 6:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongfoo View Post

Man, I am totally there with you on this one. I do the same thing. My family MUST know how all of these weapons operate.

NRA Member
Old 05-06-2009, 6:57 PM
Janitors assistant
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

3 months before he was born. Rossi Matched Pair.
Old 05-06-2009, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
lol
Old 05-06-2009, 7:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Oh, that's it... I'm going to have to one-up you and buy a gun for my kid now.

And my wife isn't even pregnant!

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 05-06-2009, 7:05 PM
Janitors assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
Oh, that's it... I'm going to have to one-up you and buy a gun for my kid now.

And my wife isn't even pregnant!
My bro had me beat by a year. Remington pump from the 30's it was in my safe 1 year before we announced.
Old 05-06-2009, 7:10 PM
Jonathan Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridatsun350 View Post
How did you get Arnold Schwarzenegger to sign those? lol
It was about 11 years ago. I just told him, "if you put your hands on my guns, you better sign your name on it also." He complied.

He only signed two guns in his life, and I have both of them.

Last edited by Jonathan Doe; 05-06-2009 at 7:13 PM..
Old 05-06-2009, 7:12 PM

Quote:
I just told him, "if you put your hands on my guns, you better sign you name on it also." He complied.

He only signed tow guns in his life, and I have both of them.
why would he have his hands on them?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM

My father bought me a pump .22 Rossi when I was 10. Before that he had me learn on his Ruger MKI, and I think it was a Luger. Not sure now as he sold it. Also was able to fire what you see in the picture (with help from dad) Scan of a Polaroid.
Old 05-07-2009, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis8128 View Post
also, I Dont think its the age you should be worrying about.

Its the safety and respect he demonstrates with firearms before you go about getting one of his own.

So once he starts showing that your good to go.

How old is he?
Oldest boy is 5, but I have a new boy that is 5 months. He just started rolling over so I think I have a little time.
Old 05-07-2009, 3:50 PM
Jonathan Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis8128 View Post
why would he have his hands on them?
He has a beautiful Perazzi trap shotgun that he shot at my range. When he was done, he wanted to shoot skeet, but he didn't have a gun for it. So, he borrowed mind and I told him he need to put his name on my shotgun.

When he came back in 2 weeks, I told him that my son said his authograph was awesome on my gun, and he'd better put his name on my son's rifle, too. He did, and my son was very happy.
Old 05-07-2009, 5:24 PM

As long as they understand the associated risk involved with firearms, there is no set age limit. I shot my first deer at age 13 with a 1917 Eddystone 30.06 (which I still have). Shot my first firearm long before that around age 4. My daughter, age 4, has already shot a BB gun and helped her daddy clean the big guys. It all depends on the proper instruction and the childs willingness to learn. But if there are firearms in the house, the sooner the better.
Old 05-07-2009, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S. Klein View Post
It depends on the kid, IMO.

My 7YO is way too excitable and probably won't be ready until his teens, at the earliest.

My 5YO is far more level-headed and might be ready sooner.

Of course, my wife (not thrilled about guns at all) probably won't let either shoot until way past their prime.
what she dont know dont hurt her.. but if she is anything like most women they end up finding out anyways. Just tell her you are teaching them at a young age to respect firearms and am teaching them a level of discipline and patience that will benifit them later in life.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

It just depends on the kid. I got bolt action .22 rifles for my daughter when she was 12 and my son was 9. They don't really like to shoot them because the stocks are too long. My daughter prefers my Colt 1911 with a Marvel conversion, so I built another one just for her.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-08-2009, 1:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Don't have any kids of my own, seeing as i'm 20, unmarried, and going to school, but my Dad bought me my first gun for my 13th birthday, a 20ga pump shotgun. Got it so I could go trap shooting with him and his buddies, and dove hunting when the season came about.

And since this is becoming a "minimum age to shoot" thread, I'll mention that my Dad had me shooting cans in the back yard with a pellet gun at age 4.
Old 05-08-2009, 4:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Slow View Post

Thoughts?

I was taught to shoot when seven, in Texas. But, I feel that they need to older than when I was taught. Probably teens.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 PM

I think it depends on how mature the child is, but around 7 or 8 is a good age to start. I learned on a Crossman bb/pellet gun, then went to a .22 rifle, then 22 Ruger Mark 1.

"You sir are ignorant and it appears willfully so." - Kestryll

"I was thinking about it the other day, and realized that I've only got three real emotional states: Happy, angry and none." - M.Sage
Old 05-11-2009, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I think it depends on how mature the child is, but around 7 or 8 is a good age to start. I learned on a Crossman bb/pellet gun, then went to a .22 rifle, then 22 Ruger Mark 1.
that's how i learned to.

And really emphasize how dangerous just a bb gun CAN be.

So he will respect that.

And by the time he goes up to a gun there will be twice the respect.
Old 05-11-2009, 6:29 PM

There were always plenty of kid sized guns in the house for them to shoot but I did not buy them their own guns until their 16th birthdays. They ended up with Swede Mauser, carbine length FAL, and a Benelli Nova shotgun. All 3 of those kids learned to shoot on a single shot .22 Ithaca
Old 05-12-2009, 9:20 AM

Started my kids on airsofts at age 9 and 10. They are now 13 and 14 and are shooting 10/22's, 9mm, .223 and 12gauge ...supervised of course.
Old 05-12-2009, 6:26 PM

I've been shooting guns since i could hold em, and my dad was always real careful with us kids. We've all learned how to handle guns from him. anyway, so i have shot a long time, but never really needed my "own" gun since we always had plenty of guns. But my dad bought me my remington 870 when i started hunting at 10
Old 05-13-2009, 7:20 PM
Veteran Member

Depends on the kid and maturity level.
Know your kid and you'll make the right choice.
Just being exposed to real guns and safe gun handling goes a long way to making them feel comfortable around firearms.
Suggest always start with .22LR bolt gun. (single shot).
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 05-13-2009, 8:00 PM

i've had weapons i the house since my daughters were born and put the seed in thier mind when they started seeeing me with them. last weekend was the first time they wanted to pick up my pellet rifle. they loved it and it only took them tell the age of 13 and ten. maybe if i'm lucky the next time I go to the range I can get them on the .22's paticence is bliss.....
Old 05-13-2009, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

My daughter is 4 & my son is 2. They each have their own GSG-5 (plus my entire collection someday) even though they aren't old enough to shoot. Time will tell when they are mature enough to handle a firearm safely. No harm in buying now, because by the time they are ready, these guns may be outlawed or way overpriced.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 PM

My Dad let me shoot his .38 M&P when I was five or six. He gave me a .22 Remington 511-X when I was ten. Kept it in my room with a couple of boxes of ammo. No locks, no bolts or magazines removed, no problem. Got a 30-06 and a 20 gauge when I got my hunting license at age 12.

My ex is very anti-gun and my kids live(d) with her. Consequently my daughter has no interest in shooting although she grew up hearing my sister (her aunt) tell stories about outshooting her boyfriends. My youngest son however likes to shoot. He just turned 18 and I gave him a Garand and a spam can of ammo for his birthday.
Old 05-14-2009, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Dad gave me a Winchester or Remington single shot .22 rifle when I was about eight years old (1958.)
Shortly afterwords, I poked the muzzle down a vermin's burrow outside our cabin in Apple Valley. Got a clod of dirt stuck in it, so I showed it to Dad.
I didn't get the rifle back from Dad for a year, and my fanny hurt for about that long, too.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM

I've got a story. I bought my friends 4yo daughter a red ryder bb gun for her 4 yo b day. There was about 30 people there watching her open her gifts, when the gun was unwrapped I swear I heard gasps...
Shes able to use it safely, is exhibiting good gun handling skills and posture, and can hit a can at about 20 feet...
I would say get the kid handling a gun when he/she can handle it themselves in a safe manner... I started at about 5 or so...