Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-06-2009, 3:38 PM

Default WTK-need opinions- mossberg 702 Plinkster or 795 semi-auto,going $ for plinkster?

Hi Guys, i am looking for a SA 22 rifle that I can mess with and since I either miss the good used one deals or am not willing to pay for a new 1022, I am looking at the mossbergs.
I have seen the Plinkster on the web but never in person and i went to look at the model 795 in a store yesterday.
The 795 I looked at appeared CHEAPLY made- i mean mag tight as hell, front sight looked canted(?! No QC!?), mag release would not like to release the mag(see 1st comment) and was made of rather thin sheetmetal. The bolt hold open steel lever seemed 'ehh' but it was clean internaly from what I saw, no shavings or grit but like i said, looked cheap,lots of cast parts and plastic...I know it is on sale for 150.00 but...would rather pay 120-150 for used 1022 with scratches on it.

My Model 60 is a champ but needs to be taken apart,too grimy in spots I cant get too-.22 lr ownership,gotta love it!

Anyway..opinions??
Old 05-06-2009, 5:47 PM

Ya get what ya pay for????
Old 05-06-2009, 6:07 PM

I just got the 795 and think its a good value for the money. I'm sure you've read the 10 page post about it and most seem to like it. Mine is accurate and shot about 250 rounds without a single hiccup the first time out.

If its not for you, get the 10/22 as that is a nice rifle as well and definitely worth the extra money.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2009, 6:26 PM

I don't have any experience with the 795, but I do own the 702.

When the magazine is inserted in the rifle it'll wiggle around a little but will work fine. It's worked flawlessly for over 500 rounds without cleaning.

Here's a video of me shooting the 702. Sometime I'm going to make a video showing the rifle itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMdh7KiCPE
Old 05-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Get a 10/22? even the newer cheaper made ones are better than those I believe.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 PM

I bought 2 795's on the same day, one worked great, no mis-fires, one mis-fired at least once in every mag. Same ammo, switched mags, same problem. Traded the bad one for a 10/22 today, chipped in $140
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513
Old 05-06-2009, 11:31 PM

thanks...guess I may as well keep an eye out for a used 1022,maybe at the Ontario show on the 16th....

Gonna try getting ammo, be there at 730 in line for the ticket..what a PITA this aamo thing is...I have heard thru the g-vine that the ammo makers thought they had a 6 month cushion on production vs supply but now they are 4-6 months off and running 24/7 when possible...
Old 05-07-2009, 1:09 PM

My brother just picked up his 795 about a week ago, we went out and fired it a couple days ago. It did have a few FTE, and several times the bolt hold-open did not hold open, but it may have been a combination of new gun and the cheap bulk ammo we were using. It also shoots horribly to the right, even at less than 50 feet you have to compensate significantly to the left to hit the target.

I think once it breaks in and with some tweaking of the sights, it'll be a good plinker for the money. Very light and easy to tote (his weighs in @ 4.25 lbs!)

I have 5 days to go until I pick up my Mossberg 702. We shall see, but the reviews and opinions are great.