Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 05-01-2009, 11:30 PM

Default 10/22 loses zero with each mag change

Anybody already have this problem?

I have a basic 10/22. Then changed the stock to Fajen, the barrel to Magnum Research graphite/carbon barrel.

Added the Ruger scope base, and a Simmons 22 Mag 3x9 AO scope. Now every time I change the magazine the zero changes! At 50 yards, it will jump 2 inches to the right, or inch 1/2 toward the 2:00 o'clock, or 8:00 o'clock positions. Every mag change. If I shoot through the magazine, it seems to group like one inch, but it's suddenly a nice group in a seemingly random spot.

What's loose?

The scope mounts, rings, base, all are tight. I've never taken apart the internals, only changed the barrel. The barrel WAS tight, all sorts of warnings are given not to over-torque the barrel screws. Doesn't seem like a loose barrel would only change when I take out the magazine and refill and re-insert it.

Just wondering if anybody had this before, what it was? Thanks for any help!
Old 05-02-2009, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
Anybody already have this problem?

I have a basic 10/22. Then changed the stock to Fajen, the barrel to Magnum Research graphite/carbon barrel.

Added the Ruger scope base, and a Simmons 22 Mag 3x9 AO scope. Now every time I change the magazine the zero changes! At 50 yards, it will jump 2 inches to the right, or inch 1/2 toward the 2:00 o'clock, or 8:00 o'clock positions. Every mag change. If I shoot through the magazine, it seems to group like one inch, but it's suddenly a nice group in a seemingly random spot.

What's loose?

The scope mounts, rings, base, all are tight. I've never taken apart the internals, only changed the barrel. The barrel WAS tight, all sorts of warnings are given not to over-torque the barrel screws. Doesn't seem like a loose barrel would only change when I take out the magazine and refill and re-insert it.

Just wondering if anybody had this before, what it was? Thanks for any help!
May seem like a stupid question, but same ammo in each magazine, right?
Old 05-02-2009, 8:51 AM

Yeah, it's Aguila Std. Velocity 40 gr. LRN
Old 05-02-2009, 9:07 AM

If everything is tight then try a different scope. it just could be Coincidence that it happens on a mag change . double check all the screws though , it sounds more like a loose base .
Old 05-02-2009, 9:23 AM
Veteran Member

I'd think the only thing that changes after a mag change is possibly the shooter's positions/cheekweld/hold etc.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootergmc View Post
I'd think the only thing that changes after a mag change is possibly the shooter's positions/cheekweld/hold etc.
Now that you mention that it brings up the question of parallex of the scope , I have had some that were pretty bad. what kind of scope is it and at what distance are you shooting?
Old 05-02-2009, 11:17 AM

I had that same problem with my 10/22 until I found that the factory base mount was slightly loose. It felt tight when I tried to wiggle it but it was actually loose when I checked how tight the screws were. Lock Tight took care of that problem.
Old 05-02-2009, 1:33 PM

Time to remount the base and scope. Get some purple locktite and make sure the base is solid. Some people have recommended a little piece of electrical tape on the inner surface of the rings too. Nothing will fix crap optics though.