Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-19-2016, 6:20 PM

Question Which army basic training to go to?

Hello for all you retired and active US soldiers, if you had a choice to choose a basic training location which one would you suggest?

Ft. Leonardwood, MO?

ft. Jackson?

ft. Benning?
Old 12-19-2016, 6:28 PM

Fort Benning for Infantry
Old 12-19-2016, 6:28 PM

Which location would I suggest in regards to what? Which installation offers the best training? Which is the easiest? Which is the toughest? Which is the best location to be assigned for Cadre? Which has the best environment? Which has the nicest facilities and location?

... or is this an attempt to start a pissing contest between soldiers who say that their post/MOS/schoolhouse/Drill Sergeants were tougher than anyone else's?

I did Infantry and Airborne school at Ft. Benning, and if I had to do it all over again, I would pick the same post - but that is because it is the home of the Infantry, and where I would go for Infantry training... not because of any of them items I mentioned above. It just so happens that I believe the Infantry school offers the best training that there is for new soldiers.

I have also been assigned to Ft. Sill for CTLT while I was at West Point, and have to say that the Basic training there is no joke either.

Ft. Leonard Wood, from what I hear is pretty awful.

Ft. Jackson is in a good location, and the only people that I know who went there, went as cadre or drill sergeants. They seemed to enjoy it, but said that it is a very different environment than Ft. Benning.
Old 12-19-2016, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Were you given the choice of BCT locations?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 12-19-2016, 6:40 PM
Veteran Member

They don't call it Lost in the Woods for nothing. I used to go fishing for craw daddy's with frozen peas and there was a place called Big Mamma's if you're into hoggin'...

Last edited by jarhead714; 12-19-2016 at 6:42 PM..
Old 12-19-2016, 8:09 PM

Choice? That's nice.

When I enlisted in 1965, those of us that lived in CA were being sent to Ft Ord, CA. But, the group I was in got quite a surprise that day when we were told that due to a meningitis outbreak at Ord, we were all going to Ft Polk, LA.

It was handy for the Infantry guys because they had Advanced Infantry Training at Polk as well as the Tigerland course before going to Vietnam.

I also remember that guys that wanted Airborne Training went to Ft Benning after AIT.
Old 12-19-2016, 8:39 PM

Like said above, choice??? I went to Leonardwood for BCT didn't have any choices offered to me just orders. It was pretty hot and humid when I went.
Old 12-19-2016, 9:29 PM

There may be a choice, I have orders for ft.benning for basic and ait in ft. Lwood.

If I wanted to ship out sooner then The army could send me to attend basic at any three locations. The reason I ask is,I know it's basic training. But some friends say hell no don't go ft.lwood go to Jackson or benning. Better facilities and Jackson is "more relaxed."

I'm 25 years old and I will throw it out there, if Jackson is more relaxed I'll need it. I ain't no 18 year old. But I'm in shape passed meps and opat test.
Old 12-20-2016, 1:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You'll definitely have to work more in Benning. What's your MOS though?
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 12-20-2016, 2:11 AM

Fort Jackson cause I heard it was coed and easier... I'm not trying to work too hard in life.

Went to Fort Sill - Oct 2005
Old 12-20-2016, 3:29 AM

wut?

dude basic is basic...they are all hot in summer, cold in the winter...

just go
Old 12-20-2016, 3:49 AM

I hear they have "hurt feelings cards" now. If you get sand in your vag you can hold up your card and get a time out.

I went to Ft. Sill for basic and Field Artillery AIT. I swear it was 100 deg. one day and it snowed the next. Then off to Ft. Campbell and right into Air Assault school.
Old 12-20-2016, 3:50 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey nut View Post
There may be a choice, I have orders for ft.benning for basic and ait in ft. Lwood.

If I wanted to ship out sooner then The army could send me to attend basic at any three locations. The reason I ask is,I know it's basic training. But some friends say hell no don't go ft.lwood go to Jackson or benning. Better facilities and Jackson is "more relaxed."

I'm 25 years old and I will throw it out there, if Jackson is more relaxed I'll need it. I ain't no 18 year old. But I'm in shape passed meps and opat test.
The only way you're gonna have a more "relaxed" time at basic, regardless of location, is if you can already pass the PT test at the time you get shipped out. If you're not Infanty or Cav Scout, your PT test is easier, if you are, you'll have a bit more work to do. That's coming from what my friends and people who are not recruiters have told me, if you go in already being able to pass a PT test it's one less thing to be stressed out about. It's the #1 thing that stresses out recruits who weren't PT studs before joining the military, especially if they're older.
Old 12-20-2016, 6:07 AM
I could use a sammich....
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

See, I did join the army, but I joined a *different* army. I joined the one with the condos and the private rooms.

You know, it sure is nice to wake up and not care about how Hillary is feeling.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:

At 25 you probably will be one of the older recruits but probably stronger than most 18 - 20 year olds. There was couple 27 year olds when I went through and they did better than most younger guys. Basic was intense and chaotic when I was in so be prepared for that. I went through BCT in 1987, I'm assuming things have changed since then. AIT will be more relaxed though. I went to FT Knox for AIT. Good luck in BCT and AIT you will look back and be very proud that you served your country.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
HAHAHAHAAAAAAAA.......

I went through BCT at 39. It's only 2 months, and that's not even a fiscal quarter.

Who cares. We all have to pass APFT, range, combat life saver, and then "participate" in those confidence building things that carry no pass or fail requirement.

Remember, if you're lucky your Cadre will run you through a Grenade course (I threw two real ones, but went through the 10 lane qual with dummy grenades) and put in a grenade qual card in your out processing folder. So you can wear the qualification badge.

Whatever your MOS school is and when those AIT courses line up with BCT will decide your BCT location.
Old 12-20-2016, 1:04 PM

To this day the most scary time in the army (to include taking incoming fire in Afghanistan) for me was In Processing at BCT reception. Kids were climbing out of windows running away, and I was tasked with watching someone on suicide watch. Then others that slipped through MEPS but got stopped at reception medical because of mental instability.

To be surrounded by all those nuts in the same barracks and not being able to do a damn thing about it was unsettling.

I presume that experience is going to be the same wherever you go.
Old 12-20-2016, 3:43 PM

I'm looking forward to basic training, lets saying I've bee through some stress law enforcement academies. So hopefully I'm 10-8
Old 12-20-2016, 4:53 PM

I attended BCT at Jackson. There was no relaxin'.

Sounds to me like the Air Force may be more to your liking than the Army. (No offense to the Airmen here.)
Old 12-20-2016, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I went to Ft Jackson which was coed and a joke. I am harder on my apprentices than they were on us there. Don't choose Ft Jackson if you want to feel like you went through something challenging.

When I went to my first formation at 0300 or what ever it was and saw females I thought I was in the wrong place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 12-20-2016, 5:14 PM
Calguns Addict

I went to Ft Jackson which was coed and a joke. I am harder on my apprentices than they were on us there. Don't choose Ft Jackson if you want to feel like you went through something challenging.

When I went to my first formation at 0300 or what ever it was and saw females I thought I was in the wrong place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 12-20-2016, 5:25 PM

Your MOS matters.

Without knowing your MOS - Go Benning!

Why! As stated above Basic is basic. If a friend said xyz was easier, well his cadre might be at the end of their rotation, or command had a laxed attitude. I can tell you now - Unless it was within the last 6 months - THEIR INFORMATION IS USELESS.

A new drill could show up fresh and take it out on you. New command could be in charge and its changed.

Too many variables to consider one easier than the other. A guy who also runs a mile in less than 6 min and can do 100 sit ups like no other human, would 'consider' it easier.
Old 12-20-2016, 5:32 PM

And to add: About your age. There might be someone older than you, there is always that old guy.

But, if you are the oldest and seem to be the brightest, you might want to start learning cadences and "Drill and Ceremony" commands. They will put you in charge most likely to lead the platoon, and you better have your ish together when marching your buddies around or calling formation. If you dont - you will get very familiar with one command - Front Lean and Rest Position.
Old 12-20-2016, 7:47 PM

I went to Ft. Jackson. and 3/4 of my battalion was female.
The hardest part of Basic was when my family bailed on coming to my graduation at the last minute. It was hard, but I felt like I was up to an even greater challenge while in basic. When I went to AIT for 15F all the rest of my class and the majority of Aviation MOS had come from Ft. Benning? My first duty station was a scout Battalion and there was only two women in it. No PC bull****, and the ranges were fun because nobody had to have their hand held.
During deployments the more female soldiers an NCO had the more likely they would not receive awards comparable to NCOs with out.
You are joining a team and your team can only be as strong as the weakest people. Join the strongest teams possible and start at Ft. Benning.
Old 12-20-2016, 7:54 PM

I guess that I'm at a loss. You are being offered a choice of where to go for BCT! And there is mention of terms like, "more relaxed", "rooms", "confidence building", and the such. We are talking about the US Army, right? If so, it is certainly a different animal than when I was in it back in the 60s.

Back then you had zero choices for BCT. You lived in barracks and everyone was treated the same - badly. They rode your *** the entire time and kicked your *** if you needed it kicked. You either made it through, went AWOL, or failed and got an other than honorable discharge - period.

How many stress academies have you attended? Most of us that have been cops have only attended one academy. Mine was a stress academy (LASD), but I went through BCT and several years of active duty in the Army before I went into Law Enforcement, so I was prepared for the "stress academy".

But I do commend you for wanting to serve. That idea seems to be a rare animal in this day and age.
Old 12-20-2016, 8:59 PM

I don't have a choice, but an option to ship out later and train at benning or request to go earlier and possible end up at any basic training location.
Old 12-20-2016, 9:13 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Around the corner from Ft Leonard Wood

http://www.ilovebiglouies.com
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeMon5 View Post
Choice? That's nice.

When I enlisted in 1965, those of us that lived in CA were being sent to Ft Ord, CA. But, the group I was in got quite a surprise that day when we were told that due to a meningitis outbreak at Ord, we were all going to Ft Polk, LA..
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Bussed from downtown L.A. to Ft. Ord - oops meningitis over to the airport and off to Ft. Lewis in Washington. Finally got there around 2am and stood out in the rain for 4 hours. Caught pneumonia and spent 3 weeks in the base hospital. He and my dad had a good laugh as he was in the barracks that were built in WWII as temporary housing when my dad was there.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:38 PM

Benning ATW!

RIP SGT Mark Allen RLTW! I love you brother. Until we meet again...
Old 12-21-2016, 6:42 AM

Go Benning, go 11B. This opens you up to attend most schools in the Army. While you're at it, throw in Airborne school and RASP after. Oh and don't worry, you'll be back to Benning for Ranger and Sniper school later.
Old 12-21-2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIF_VET View Post
Go Benning, go 11B. This opens you up to attend most schools in the Army. While you're at it, throw in Airborne school and RASP after. Oh and don't worry, you'll be back to Benning for Ranger and Sniper school later.
^^ Yes, the advice to give you is not which basic to go to, but to educate you on signing up with all the advanced schools locked in. Example: Basic > to airborne school > to air assault school (Not so hard to get later) > to RASP. That way you attend all the schools at peek fitness (best chance) and you don't have to Beg command to send you later.
Old 12-21-2016, 6:56 PM

MCRD San Diego

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2016, 8:15 PM

2nd MCRD San Diego.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Pshh, this is the "new" Army right here. I turned 42 the night I arrived at Ft. Knox back in '07 for 19K OSUT. Give me a break...

Featuring $35 transfers.

Sig P6 for sale

AK pistols for sale

Assorted range brass for sale
Old 12-22-2016, 8:01 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Hello for all you retired and active US soldiers, if you had a choice to choose a basic training location which one would you suggest?

Ft. Leonardwood, MO?

ft. Jackson?

ft. Benning?
I personally went to Relaxin' Jackson, although I found very little relaxation during BCT. I didn't ask to go there, but my BCT and AIT schools were all there. It reduced stress that I could hoof it from BCT to AIT. Some of the soldiers transferring elsewhere had to worry about getting correct orders, outprocessing, and getting travel vouchers & reservations.

Your MOS will determine where you go, so don't try to pick a job just to go to a particular BCT location. Some good universal advice to follow is don't go in early to mid summer. Not only will it be brutally hot, but you will be stuck in purgatorial reception for a long time with the mobs of new HS graduates. I stayed in Reception for two weeks, and that was pretty fast.
Old 12-22-2016, 8:03 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRiverArms View Post
Pshh, this is the "new" Army right here. I turned 42 the night I arrived at Ft. Knox back in '07 for 19K OSUT. Give me a break...
I went to Fort Jackson and we got smoked every single day. It is a recruiter talking point.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post

I went to ft. Jackson back in "77", and my daughter went to ft. Leonardwood in "07" both were rough, Leonardwood had very bad summers from what my daughter said. She was MP, so AIT and basic there, I was lucky and got Jackson then ft. Eustis for AIT chopper mech. Jackson was rough though if you were on tank hill.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
9mm S&W M&P Shield
Kimber Custom CDP II (Government 1911)
Springfield XD 40 Subcompact (For Sale)
Proud NRA Life Member!

Last edited by I/O; 12-22-2016 at 11:44 PM..
Old 12-23-2016, 8:41 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Bussed from downtown L.A. to Ft. Ord - oops meningitis over to the airport and off to Ft. Lewis in Washington. Finally got there around 2am and stood out in the rain for 4 hours. Caught pneumonia and spent 3 weeks in the base hospital. He and my dad had a good laugh as he was in the barracks that were built in WWII as temporary housing when my dad was there.
I went to Fort Lewis for pre-mob training for a month. When we entered the base I was amazed at the newness of everything and the base housing looked like higher-end type apartment buildings.

We kept on going though and finally got dropped off at what appeared to be semi-abandoned housing at the edge of some forest that looked pre-WW2 at least. Musty, creaky, and cold. We laughed about it and just sucked it up. It also rained every single day while we were in the field.
Old 12-23-2016, 9:31 AM

anyplace but ft leonard wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2016, 9:55 PM

As I said previously, I was sent to Ft Polk, LA for BCT. I was one of the lucky few that did not have AIT at Polk. Most of the guys that went to Polk for BCT also got their AIT (Infantry & Tigerland), before being sent directly to Vietnam.

The Army chose Polk for Infantry and Tigerland training because of the dense, jungle like forests that were there and the heat, humidity and precipitation that approximated what the troops would experience in Vietnam.

My AIT was at Ft Holabird (Baltimore, MD) which is now closed. When I was there, it was the Intelligence Training center for the US Army and other services as well as Special Forces and foreign officers.

Some have suggested that you seek additional combat training like Ranger, etc. But unless you plan to stay in the Army, that type of training might not be as useful in civilian life as other types of training courses like MP, Computer, and the such, which will allow you to transition to civilian life and find suitable employment. The transition may not be as smooth if you have only been trained in the Combat Arms.