Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-05-2016, 4:59 PM

Exclamation Medical board BullCrap..

Air Guard 17 years...

The VA awarded me 100% over 1.5 years ago. I turned the award letters over to my Med folks to get the Med Board started for Med Retirement. I have emails going back to Dec 17, 2014 with the E-7 who handles the paperwork. I've been calling every 4 months or so inquiring about the status. The response has always been "they are working on it".

Fast forward to today. I notified my NCOIC that my enlistment is expiring in June and to see if he could get a status update from Medical. Well guess the frick what??? Medical never even started the damn paperwork.

What now????

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Fatality Search and Recovery
Mortuary Affairs
Old 03-05-2016, 7:29 PM

Keep venting as needed. It's a bi-tch!

The best advice as you already know is to become your own advocate. Keep calling, confirm, and keep a record. Rinse, wash, and repeat until you become silky smooth.
Old 03-05-2016, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer135 View Post
Keep venting as needed. It's a bi-tch!

The best advice as you already know is to become your own advocate. Keep calling, confirm, and keep a record. Rinse, wash, and repeat until you become silky smooth.
Would it be a waste of time chatting with the nobody at the front desk of my congressmans office?

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs
Old 03-11-2016, 7:20 AM

Talk to an IG at the minimum. Just make sure you can document your timeline. Be persistant, and go congressional if nothing gets done. Re-enlist if your not barred for some reason. It's easier to get things done while still a member. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2016, 7:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Get it started NOW. IG, Congressman, etc. If you are officially in the MEB process, you will not have a choice to ETS. Your time will be extended to complete the IDES process.

While the Air Guard is different, the regulations pertaining to the Army should be similar to your branch (find the regulation):

Quote:
AR 635-40, 3–7. Retaining Soldiers on active duty after scheduled nondisability retirement or discharge date
A Soldier whose normal scheduled date of nondisability retirement or separation occurs during the course of hospitalization or disability evaluation may, with his or her consent, be retained in the service until he or she has attained maximum hospital benefits and completion of disability evaluation if otherwise eligible for referral into the disability system.
a. Officers and warrant officers on extended active duty may be retained on active duty according to the provision of AR 600–8–24, chapter 1.
b. Enlisted Soldiers on extended active duty may be retained on active duty according to the provisions of AR 635–200, chapter 1.
c. Soldiers in the reserve components (RC) (other than active guard reserve (AGR)) may be retained according to the provisions of AR 135–381.
d. Reserve component Soldiers serving on AGR status will be retained on active duty as prescribed in AR 635–20

AR 635-200, 1–24. Medical/dental care required or sick in hospital when period of service expires
a. A Soldier may only be considered for retention past the set release date when one or both of the following apply:
(1) Continued health care is required (must be in-hospital status but not necessarily occupying a bed).
(2) Physical disability processing is required or has been initiated. The request for retention will be submitted per b and c , below. Soldiers determined medically fit for retention or separation will not be retained past the set release date.
b. A Soldier being retired for maximum length of service or maximum age will not be retained on active duty unless his/her medical condition indicates referral of the case to a physical evaluation board. When retention is required, the command request the Soldier’s retirement orders be rescinded. The request will include the medical diagnosis and expected date of case referral to the physical evaluation board for processing.
c. No Soldier will be retained beyond his/her scheduled release date without written consent signed by the Soldier.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 03-16-2016, 9:53 AM

I contacted my State Senator for an inquiry and submitted about 15 email correspondence stating the MEB was being worked on. The final email was my E-8 telling me nothing had been started.

About 5 days after I contacted my Senator the NCOIC of my unit called me and said I need to report for drill in April. He spoke to the O-5 who questioned why I hadn't been coming in. Someone screwed up when they told me to stay home.

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs
Old 03-16-2016, 3:23 PM

Have you seen this website?

http://www.pebforum.com/site/forums

Lots of good info from all branches on the MEB/PEB process.

I don't know how it works in the Air Guard, but in the Army Reserve, a Soldier cannot "self-initiate" the MEB process. Nor is it done at the unit level. It is started by a medical professional due to a medical condition that is incompatible with military service. In my case, that was at the USAR MED level. In the Army, it's typical to be on a temporary profile for about a year (to show that the condition is not recoverable) before being submitted to the MEB. In my experience, it was very common that while everyone "knew" about the MEB/PEB process....very, very few knew how it actually worked or what the process was.

Understand that the MEB/PEB is only evaluating the condition(s) that is limiting military service. Simply having a VA rating is not a qualifier to be MEB'd. It is very common to have a VA 100% rating (since they are combining multiple conditions), but only have a 10% disability rating from the military since that is the one condition that is getting you discharged/retired.

Hopefully you can figure out what the MEB process is for your particular situation and get the ball rolling. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2016, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbubba View Post
Have you seen this website?

http://www.pebforum.com/site/forums

Lots of good info from all branches on the MEB/PEB process.

I don't know how it works in the Air Guard, but in the Army Reserve, a Soldier cannot "self-initiate" the MEB process. Nor is it done at the unit level. It is started by a medical professional due to a medical condition that is incompatible with military service. In my case, that was at the USAR MED level. In the Army, it's typical to be on a temporary profile for about a year (to show that the condition is not recoverable) before being submitted to the MEB. In my experience, it was very common that while everyone "knew" about the MEB/PEB process....very, very few knew how it actually worked or what the process was.

Understand that the MEB/PEB is only evaluating the condition(s) that is limiting military service. Simply having a VA rating is not a qualifier to be MEB'd. It is very common to have a VA 100% rating (since they are combining multiple conditions), but only have a 10% disability rating from the military since that is the one condition that is getting you discharged/retired.

Hopefully you can figure out what the MEB process is for your particular situation and get the ball rolling. Good luck.
My 100% is for one item with another 80% of others combined (although it's not counted like that). I tried to register 2 years ago but never got the email confirmation. I've tried numerous times but it's never worked.

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs

Last edited by DysfunctionalVet; 03-17-2016 at 7:32 AM..
Old 04-01-2016, 10:23 AM

I was told to report in Tomorrow

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs
Old 06-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Military Medical Boards are BS. They took 9 months to determine if I was still eligible to serve; I had to contact my "congressional rep" to get them off their lazy *****es. It worked, then I retired and left them holding all the worms (my job was not easy to do or get a replacement).
Old 06-25-2016, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttfish View Post
Military Medical Boards are BS. They took 9 months to determine if I was still eligible to serve; I had to contact my "congressional rep" to get them off their lazy *****es. It worked, then I retired and left them holding all the worms (my job was not easy to do or get a replacement).
This is a fact...

I just got my ratings back on Friday after being in this process since 2014.

They low balled the hell out of me 20% DoD and 90% VA. I'll be requesting an appeal / FPEB.

They didn't even rate my main condition, which resulted from failed back surgery. Makes me wonder how many people are out there getting screwed because they haven't read the regulations???
Old 06-25-2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-5_Guy View Post
This is a fact...

I just got my ratings back on Friday after being in this process since 2014.

They low balled the hell out of me 20% DoD and 90% VA. I'll be requesting an appeal / FPEB.

They didn't even rate my main condition, which resulted from failed back surgery. Makes me wonder how many people are out there getting screwed because they haven't read the regulations???
NGB just approved my LOD. I did my VA compensation after my last deployment because I knew how screwed up my base medical is/was.

100% PTSD. Just did 6 days inpatient
60% GERD (just increased from 10% to 60%)
50% Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome
30% Migraines
10% ankle sprain
10% arthritis
0% hypertension
0% hammertoes

USAF 1998-????
OIF/OEF
Flight Medic C-130
Mortuary Affairs

Last edited by DysfunctionalVet; 06-25-2016 at 7:42 PM..