Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 04-27-2009, 2:12 PM

Default Trap Shooting: Target load or Game load?

Wanted to do some trap shooting and I was wondering what the real difference was between game loads and target loads that have the same shot size? Obviously since I am asking this I am not a serious trap shooter, just looking for some weekend fun. With the availability and price of game loads, I was hoping I could get by with them if possible, but if I am not going to hit anything I will spend the extra bucks. Thank 'yall
Old 04-27-2009, 2:14 PM

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the difference is the amount of powder. Target loads having less, because it takes less velocity to break clays than to kill game. And, during trap shooting it's not uncommon to shoot a couple hundred rounds a session. Having full loads while doing that is a sure way to numb the shoulder.

"Don't steal, the Government hates competition."
Old 04-27-2009, 2:44 PM

some game loads are 3 dram 1 1/8z of either 7.5/8 shot, usually around 1200fps.
that's a handicap load for trap, most people who shoot singles (i.e. from 16yds)
use a 2 3/4 dram load of 1 1/8 oz of 8's usually around 1145fps. the 1oz load that Walmart sells is actually a 3 1/4 dram load for 1290fps. Some trap ranges restrict the loads to a max of 3 drams, due to noise complaints from neighbors.
Old 04-27-2009, 2:59 PM

It's not a matter of hitting anything, it's a matter of beating yourself up.
Old 04-27-2009, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

1-1/8 oz at 1200 fps is the bulk pack 'walmart load, but some people buy or load only 1 oz loads to soften the recoil.
Old 04-27-2009, 8:24 PM

Each year I go through at least 8,000 rounds of the 1 oz Federal Game Loads for singles and the second shot in doubles in trap, and that is registered ATA competition. They work just fine and in fact have slighly less recoil than the 1-1/8 1200 fps versions. I know, I shoot both. Generally the reason one is a "game" load and one is a "target" load is the hardness of the lead. For game loads the lead is softer so it deforms on impact versus target lead which is harder. Take apart a game load and a target load you will see the lead is dull and dark from the game load while the target lead has more of a shine to it. Pinch it between your fingernails and you'll be convinced. Of course this is speaking in comparison of the two different shells in this discussion. Neither of these two shells are for the recoil-sensitive. There are several sub-1200fps loads that are softer shooting. You don't need the 1300fps-plus Sporting Clay loads for trap.
Right now the best bargain is either the Fed/Win four paks or the blue Federal 1 oz Game Loads. I have numerous ATA friends who buy them by the pallet.