Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 08-17-2009, 2:38 PM

Not all women are as bada** as the Calguns girls. I made the mistake of letting my ex shoot my GSR 1911 and after the first shot she got so scared by the recoil she dropped my beautiful Nitron finish GSR on the concrete barrel first. The slide was chipped and my heart was broken. No thats not the reason she is my ex. She was a ***** thats why.

So what I'm trying to say is some girls are girly and some are... ummm... not girly. My heart still hurts and my GSR is still scarred.
Old 08-17-2009, 7:20 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

dude, you're not winning friends by saying that women with guns can't be girly........we even wear lipstick. perhaps a better choice would have been.....well, what would have been a better choice ladies? i think i know what Pistolwhipped is trying to express but i'm not sure that girly is the right word......what say the women of calguns?

what would we call a guy who dropped one of our guns? something printable, that is...........

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-17-2009, 7:29 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
what would we call a guy who dropped one of our guns? something printable, that is...........
Male or female.
Old or young.

There is NO excuse for dropping a gun and oh LORD the profanities that would issue forth from my mouth......
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 08-17-2009, 7:55 PM

Like MZ said, "girly" may be the wrong choice of words..

I consider myself girly, wear heels and lipstick and dresses, and I can shoot almost any gun you'd care to test me with.

But I agree, there is no excuse for dropping a gun!! If she was unfamiliar with the recoil, shouldn't someone stand behind her to monitor her? I don't care what the gender of a new shooter is, but if they are unfamiliar with a caliber or new gun, isn't it best to have a spotter?

Though I've gotta ask; why was she shooting that particular gun? Had she already had experience with firearms? Was she asking to shoot that or was she nervous to begin with? I don't have particulars about that story so I don't want to judge prematurely....

Anyway I choose to accept that comment about CG girls being bad*ss as a compliment, but I (and the rest of us lady CGers) are living proof that bad*ss and girly can go hand-in-hand
Old 08-17-2009, 9:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
dude, you're not winning friends by saying that women with guns can't be girly........we even wear lipstick. perhaps a better choice would have been.....well, what would have been a better choice ladies? i think i know what Pistolwhipped is trying to express but i'm not sure that girly is the right word......what say the women of calguns?

mz
eh, *man*ly?

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

most girls dont want a big gun. so they want the cute cun with the cute little bullets. and a .22 will stop you just as dead as a .45 and its easier to shoot and train new users with
Old 08-17-2009, 11:41 PM

MZ: Dude, I guess girly was not the best word to use. I cant seem to keep it straight. Some girls hate being called girly and others seem to embrace it. I didn't realize being girly was a good thing. My Bad. How about a not as bada** as calguns girls. What I was trying to get across was that some LADIES just cant handle a bigger gun thats all. I'm sure there are guys out there that cant handle a big gun too. Thats all my story was trying say.
Angie: And Hell yeah you should take the BadA** as a compliment how could it be any other way. It was out first trip to the range together and she was going on and on about shooting with her dad. Once she saw me empty a mag through my once beautiful GSR she had to try it. I helped line her up but she seemed to have a good handle on things so I stood about 2 feet behind her. First shot went off and I saw that thing dancin around in her hands the last thing I was thinkin about was trying to catch my pistol. I was Diving face first in to the shrubbery.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:46 PM

People all the way on the rifle side her one loud F***!! then the cries of an utterly broken man sitting on the ground cradling his baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
Male or female.
Old or young.

There is NO excuse for dropping a gun and oh LORD the profanities that would issue forth from my mouth......
Old 08-18-2009, 8:26 AM
Cat-in-a-Box

Pistol, maybe she was trying to impress you with her stories about her dad and guns.......? lesson learned: #1 when taking a date to the range, take a .22 for the date to fire before handing her the love of your life pistol. #2 bad***** is ok when referring to calgun women.

mz

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 08-18-2009, 10:17 AM

I will never make the same mistake twice. She shot my 22 with ease and seemed to enjoy it so when whe asked to shoot the 45 I said sure. I'm sure her saying that was just to impress.
Anyways, lessons learned.

Quote:
Pistol, maybe she was trying to impress you with her stories about her dad and guns.......? lesson learned: #1 when taking a date to the range, take a .22 for the date to fire before handing her the love of your life pistol. #2 bad***** is ok when referring to calgun women.

mz
Old 09-03-2009, 4:46 PM

Tell them there are 13 year old girls shooting action pistol with a 8-shot 627 and a Glock 34 and she is all of 78 pounds soaking wet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8CDB6DCq14

Last edited by TMC; 09-03-2009 at 4:50 PM..
Old 09-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.
I want my gf to get a 9mm. She herself is too scared of the gun and wants a .22 revolver. Of course she's never shot anything besides a .22 rifle, and that's all I have right now. I'd take her to a range we could rent guns, but the closest one is something like an hour away and I don't have a car.

"If you shoot a mime in the forest..." -My GF
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Calguns Addict

If she is scared of the gun, then it is a bad idea. Get a .22 revolver and hopefully she will try something else later. I think it is a bad idea to force the issue and push what you want, instead of what she wants. You might also find an instructor to show her how to shoot or find a friend who has a 9mm. Not all firearms are the same. Just remember, for a new shooter only put one round in the firearm.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 09-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolwhipped View Post
Not all women are as bada** as the Calguns girls. I made the mistake of letting my ex shoot my GSR 1911 and after the first shot she got so scared by the recoil she dropped my beautiful Nitron finish GSR on the concrete barrel first. The slide was chipped and my heart was broken. No thats not the reason she is my ex. She was a ***** thats why.

So what I'm trying to say is some girls are girly and some are... ummm... not girly. My heart still hurts and my GSR is still scarred.
OH god.... my condolences
Old 09-04-2009, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
If she is scared of the gun, then it is a bad idea. Get a .22 revolver and hopefully she will try something else later. I think it is a bad idea to force the issue and push what you want, instead of what she wants. You might also find an instructor to show her how to shoot or find a friend who has a 9mm. Not all firearms are the same. Just remember, for a new shooter only put one round in the firearm.

I never intended to force her to get a 9mm. If she wants a .22 then that's what she'll get. I'm just hoping I can eventually get her to a range that rents guns so I can get her more comfortable with guns first. Thanks for the advice about one round for a newbie, I hadn't heard/thought of that before, it's a good idea(I too am relatively new to guns).

"If you shoot a mime in the forest..." -My GF
Old 09-04-2009, 4:56 PM

My first gun was (and still is) a FN9 9mm Semi-auto. I'm very comfortable with it and I'm not a big person at all. Since then, I've acquired and regularly shoot a Bushmaster carbon 15 and a Socom 16 9now THAT's a gun!
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

If you are new to firearms, you might consider taking a basic firearms course. There is the NRA Basic Pistol course, which should be taken after the Basic Firearms Safety course. It is really a good idea. I became an instructor and learned a lot and it can make a difference.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 09-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
mz
thank you, that's a point. maybe "delicate"... or "fragile". a few years ago my hubby's shooting club hosted the Swedish Bikini Team for a SWPL match... none had ever shot before, so he and a couple of other guys took them through some basic training. let me tell you what, those girls are *girly*. two of them also turned out to be pretty good shooters.
Megan
Old 09-07-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTyrant View Post
I never intended to force her to get a 9mm. If she wants a .22 then that's what she'll get. I'm just hoping I can eventually get her to a range that rents guns so I can get her more comfortable with guns first. Thanks for the advice about one round for a newbie, I hadn't heard/thought of that before, it's a good idea(I too am relatively new to guns).
you know, I think its not so much how big the gun is, it's about how "in control" she feels it is.

My first and still favorite pistol is a Glock .45, full size, not the compact. I shot just about everything the shop had before I decided, and I bought that one because it fits my hand, the weight is reasonable, when I pick it up and shoot it, it shoots just where I think it will. I don't have to think about my grip, about the angle of my wrist, about the sights, I just pick it up and shoot it and I get nice groupings just where I think they'll be.

things that made a big difference... one of the selling points on some of the pistols I tried was they were heavier so less recoil... guess what, I'll take the recoil to have the gun be lighter. I find I can hold a lighter gun more still and stable than a heavier one and I don't tire as fast, so my shooting stays more accurate for longer. managing the recoil takes a little more skill, but overall I feel more "in-control" of the position of a lighter gun.

proper fit of the grip to my hand matters, because then when I pick it up I know right away if I'm holding it in proper position or not. that's more in-control too.

proper angle of the grip to match my natural position helps too, I bring the gun up, and there's the sight picture... sights line up without my having to hunt for them, it's just right there. natural.

My hubby has a couple I don't like shooting because 1) they're too heavy, 2) they're not stable in my hand, 3) they have WAY too much recoil, or 4) because the're too small... yep, won't shoot the 22 derringer because I don't feel like I can ever get a secure grip on it... too darn small.

women generally have different physical strengths than men... you've got upper body and grip strength we don't (at least not in the same proportions). so we need to address problems a bit differently than you do. I can't hold a heavy gun at arms length for nearly as long as my hubby can, I tire faster when it comes to brute arm strength. so a lighter gun works better for me. with a long gun, I need one that's weight balanced towards the back, if the weight's out front, I lose accuracy much faster. he just holds it up. I've learned to finess the recoil managment (or just pay someone to port the barrel), he just brute strengths it. different tactics are needed because of our different construction.

'course if everything went sideways, I'd shoot whatever was handy, but really, the ones that make me feel I'm not in control of the gun are the ones I don't like shooting.

so all that to say, if you're helping the GF pick a gun, I'd look for what she feels in control of, because that will bring her fear in line, and not worry about what size it is. the less fear, the more fun, the more time spent shooting and the more options she'll eventually be interested in.

as to your dropped gun... if she was expecting a 22 reaction in her hand and got surprised, that can happen (shouldn't, but can)... good to emphasize the difference between what she's used to and what you're giving her next so she knows to brace up.

megan
Old 09-07-2009, 9:43 PM

Quote:

mz
All I know is that my ammo bag always has at least 3 tubes of lip gloss in it and I'm actively looking for a Chanel rifle sling.

As to what to call a guy that dropped one of my guns? Nothing. I'd just snarl, unhinge my jaw and swallow him whole.
Old 09-08-2009, 7:03 AM

I had a friend yers ago that gave his girlfriend a 9mm for a birthday present. Took her to the range and tought her to shoot.
We visit his grave once in a while. No lie.
Don't teach your GF to shoot untill you know her VERY well....
You women who like to shoot...you're awsome, but hormones, PMS, and a loaded gun???
Yes, dear....whatever you say dear...
Old 09-08-2009, 8:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-12 View Post
Don't teach your GF to shoot untill you know her VERY well....
trying to work out the corollary to that... would that be "don't date guys with guns?" since by definition you don't know him well when you start dating?

maybe the rule just ought to be "treat kindly".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-12 View Post
You women who like to shoot...you're awsome, but hormones, PMS, and a loaded gun???
Yes, dear....whatever you say dear...
well, not that we're *all* PMS-ish and hormonal types... but you know what they say about an armed society being a polite society... maybe it applies to households too.

megan
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Calguns Addict

The real thing is to teach people properly. Part of that is start them with shooting from a bench rest and only put in one round at a time (same thing with a new firearm). You can instill bad habits for life if you don't do it right, so take the time to learn how to teach people.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most of my GF's and my current one shoot and if they don't, I can't even make it past a second date.

But I have heard the OP's talk from gunstore customers. Madness!

My woman loves her .45, 1911. Indeed, I like the idea that my significant other can protect me and the house as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 8:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.
That's lame...

My GF shoots .357s better than a lot of guys at my local range. Some guys need to chill with the whole Macho-man thing...

...after all, don't you ladies love a pompous, arrogant, know-it-all who thinks that the only firearms a woman can handle is a .22...?
Old 09-15-2009, 9:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Maybe sometimes, she asks him to go along and do all the talking. Me and the misses have an understanding. If its something that I know more about, I do the talking and vise versa.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:55 PM

At last count I've taken 4 different women out shooting for their first experience. I started all with a .22. Four of the five graduated up to centerfires, without any problem. Short of a woman having a disability, a 9mm or .38/.357 revo is fine. The ex-wife eventually wound up with a .357 Python, and she used to get a kick of going to the range in skirt & heels, shooting the Snake with full house Blue Dot handloads and watching guys stare.

If women have trouble with the slide on an auto, the trick is usually to have them keep their arms straight, and twist the shoulders to work the slide. Safe muzzle direction and finger off the trigger are of course mandatory

The last one I took shooting owned her own Ruger .22 pistol, and was quite good with it when I met her. She wanted nothing to do with anything bigger, however. I talked her into shooting a .38 Super 1911 (pretty mild recoil) once, and she fired one shot, set it down, and shook her hand going, AAAAAAAHHHHH! She insisted on sticking to her .22.
Old 10-18-2009, 7:07 PM
CGN Contributor

About two weeks ago me girlfriend told me that she wants to get a gun. I had taken her shooting before and found that for her 9mm is a bit much-- I know, to almost everyone 9mm is like a cap gun, but not her. She asked about getting a .22LR, and I didn't discount it (in fact, I would love to have a Walther P22 available to shoot), but I really wanted her to try something near 9mm since she wants it for when she's home alone.

We talked about it and reached a compromise: .380 Auto or .32 ACP.

Today we went to Target Masters West and started off by renting a Sig P232 (.380 Auto). It was the right size to fit her smaller hands and was easy to get around. I had her load up the first magazine and she let five fly.

Her smile said it all. Not only was this the cartridge, it might be *THE* gun. She put 100 rounds through the Sig and very few wandered outside the black. She actually had a few people watching her shoot. I better start shooting even more, or she's very quickly going to be better than me, haha! And if she does, you'll not hear a single gripe from :-)

After shooting we looked at some guns. She wanted me to ask for guns to see, and I kind of did (I was willing to get the ball rolling, but the rest was up to her). I asked if she could see something in .380 Auto that had a manual thumb safety (this is something she really wants). The poor guy at the gun counter must have missed the "she" because he tried to hand the gun to me. Once I redirected him to my girlfriend, she got her hands on four guns. Sadly, they only had one other .380 Auto that fit her hands: a Bersa Thunder 380. I'm gonna call around to a few shops, see if there are any other guns I can have her check out before she makes a choice.

With our three year anniversary is coming up on the 27th of October I was considering getting her a gun as a gift, but it seems a little tacky to me. It's okay though, I already got a gift :-)
Old 10-18-2009, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adehtla View Post
About two weeks ago me girlfriend told me that she wants to get a gun. I had taken her shooting before and found that for her 9mm is a bit much-- I know, to almost everyone 9mm is like a cap gun, but not her. She asked about getting a .22LR, and I didn't discount it (in fact, I would love to have a Walther P22 available to shoot), but I really wanted her to try something near 9mm since she wants it for when she's home alone.

We talked about it and reached a compromise: .380 Auto or .32 ACP.

Today we went to Target Masters West and started off by renting a Sig P232 (.380 Auto). It was the right size to fit her smaller hands and was easy to get around. I had her load up the first magazine and she let five fly.

Her smile said it all. Not only was this the cartridge, it might be *THE* gun. She put 100 rounds through the Sig and very few wandered outside the black. She actually had a few people watching her shoot. I better start shooting even more, or she's very quickly going to be better than me, haha! And if she does, you'll not hear a single gripe from :-)

After shooting we looked at some guns. She wanted me to ask for guns to see, and I kind of did (I was willing to get the ball rolling, but the rest was up to her). I asked if she could see something in .380 Auto that had a manual thumb safety (this is something she really wants). The poor guy at the gun counter must have missed the "she" because he tried to hand the gun to me. Once I redirected him to my girlfriend, she got her hands on four guns. Sadly, they only had one other .380 Auto that fit her hands: a Bersa Thunder 380. I'm gonna call around to a few shops, see if there are any other guns I can have her check out before she makes a choice.

With our three year anniversary is coming up on the 27th of October I was considering getting her a gun as a gift, but it seems a little tacky to me. It's okay though, I already got a gift :-)
good job on helping her find the right gun!
sounds like you're on to the way to help her have fun with this. that smile we get is cool, eh?

as to the gift... well, depends on the kind of girl she is.
I'm a tool user, so buy me a gun, I get that grin. power tools work too.
ok, so *some* jewelry works, but guns and power tools, that works every time. I'm thinking a full swoon could be had from one of those long, gold boxes of long stemmed roses, nicely packaged up with a gun in the box too... think of it as a gun bouquet...
megan
Old 10-18-2009, 9:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmartin View Post
good job on helping her find the right gun!
sounds like you're on to the way to help her have fun with this. that smile we get is cool, eh?

as to the gift... well, depends on the kind of girl she is.
I'm a tool user, so buy me a gun, I get that grin. power tools work too.
ok, so *some* jewelry works, but guns and power tools, that works every time. I'm thinking a full swoon could be had from one of those long, gold boxes of long stemmed roses, nicely packaged up with a gun in the box too... think of it as a gun bouquet...
megan
She's a definitely jewelry girl. Just mention Tiffany's and she'll light up, haha! I'm just glad she knows what "budget" means. I like to buy her something each year, but I'm having to scale back since I'm setting aside money for an engagement ring.
Old 10-18-2009, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adehtla View Post
She's a definitely jewelry girl. Just mention Tiffany's and she'll light up, haha! I'm just glad she knows what "budget" means. I like to buy her something each year, but I'm having to scale back since I'm setting aside money for an engagement ring.
Ha your girl like Tiffany's too?? Yeah mine is the same also Coach handbags ha ha. My fiance' is new to shooting so I got her a Ruger 10/22 and a Buckmark pistol to start. Showed her a few basics, how to make the firearm safe, and how to load the mags.... seriously with in a few mags through each firearm she was shooting better than some people that have been shooting for years. It's something now her and I can enjoy together. I don't realy know if she's ready for a larger caliber yet, but I'll wait till she says she's ready. Oh... showed her some pics of the pink AR's floating around the net and she got a smile on her face .....maybe one day.....
Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Coach bags... I swear, those things are a disease.

My girlfriend wants the gun to protect herself when she's home alone. The house is 4,000 sq ft with 15 doorways (if I'm counting correctly) to the outside, one of which can't lock due to the house settling. It's also in a relatively remote part of the city she lives in. Both her and I agree that she should have the most gun she can handle.

I'm not knocking you for getting a 10/22 and a Buckmark, those are awesome guns. I may buy my own 10/22 just to tacticool it out ;-)

People learn to shoot for different reasons, but I think that as gun owners we all eventually come to a point where the reasons we had for learning no longer are the main reason we shoot. We all eventually find that what matters is enjoying shooting and feeling comfortable in our ability to safely handle almost any gun, and defend ourselves if absolutely necessary.
Old 10-19-2009, 7:13 PM
Veteran Member

edit- gonna start a new thread- sorry for derail

Last edited by sevensix2x51; 10-19-2009 at 7:27 PM..
Old 10-19-2009, 7:30 PM

if she's happy shooting one thing, no need to change her to anything else. if she's happy, you're happy, right?

but if you REALLY WANT to get her shooting something else, when she asks is good...

if she's not the asking sort, bring what she likes shooting, and the next thing you think she might like... you shoot that one.

after she's warmed up on what she's familiar with, and before she gets tired, and after you've shot the other one, offer her the one you're shooting.
if she's interested, she'll take it. if not, she'll keep shooting the other.

it's all good, either way.

megan
Old 11-24-2009, 10:58 PM

What is sad when I first started looking at a gun for me I was considering a 22. Ended up buying a 9mm and now thinking of getting a 1911 .45. In my case I really was worried about being able to handle a gun.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:41 AM
C3 Leader

That's the spirit -- you can never go wrong with shopping for upgrades, especially 1911s!
Old 11-25-2009, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I thought my wife how to shoot. Started her on a .380 acp. She now has 5 of her own handguns and a .22 rifle.

The one she likes the most is the Browning Hi-Power 9mm Practical
CGN and NVS
Old 11-27-2009, 8:57 AM

I was at the gunstore looking at a .22 revolver for my wife. Mostly because she wants something small and light. The salesguy tried to push a glock, but I explained to him that if she ever has to carry it in her purse, I would be concerned that the semi-auto may get gummed up with mascara bits, lotion, etc. They all looked at each other, and the guy said "I've never considered the ramifications of carrying a gun in a purse."

He suggested a lady smith .357 snub-nose. This is where I get into trouble, because my revolver is from the 1930s and weighs quite a bit. I also don't like hammerless anything because I want to be in control. He then said that if she pulling it from her purse, I wouldn't want her pulling out her four pound lanyard key chain on the edge of the hammer, would I? Good point, so I held the Lady Smith and, wow, the entire pistol weighs as much as the cylinder on my old case hardened revolver. So, she's probably getting a lady smith, as long as she likes it when I bring her back.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM

Kudos to you guys for teaching your ladies to shoot.
At least for encouraging them. Here in CALI it seems there aren't enough women shooters.

I'm lucky I learnt when I was young.

also Kudos to gun store employes for being helpful to me and my gfs when we come in to shop around.
Old 11-28-2009, 1:13 PM

Just re-read some of this thread, and think its a mountain out of a molehill. I would carry a .22 revolver even though I handle a 1911 with no problem. Sometimes it means surviving or not. For the house, 12 gauge all the way (though she would probably reach for the lever 30-30). But for walking around with, a small round is reasonable. Its stupid that Cal CCWs don't allow anything smaller than .380.

The fact is my wifes hand is not physically capable of managing say, a .38 Derringer, while mine is. So in that instance, small calibers are better for her in a small firearm.