Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 05-23-2009, 1:04 AM

My wife likes to shoot everything up to the 454 Casull I used to have. And she really likes shooting at the BLM land on a hot sunny day, because she can take her top off and get a tan. Unfortunately, she won't let me take videos of it, and if there are women around with their men, she won't because the women get catty
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=172513
Old 05-23-2009, 1:21 AM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=183202

I built my lady that rifle a few weeks ago I believe in equal rights, and as long as a woman knows how to handle herself around a firearm, then I don't think we should be so discriminating. However, the women who don't, I would work on them a little longer
Old 05-23-2009, 9:11 AM
Veteran Member

The job behind the counter is to sell who cares what gos on on the other side, 99 percent of the time women have not clue about firearms.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoot-it View Post
The job behind the counter is to sell who cares what gos on on the other side, 99 percent of the time women have not clue about firearms.
Such bravado.

"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
3dit a smilie onto that.

Youd better be joking.

Last edited by pTa; 05-25-2009 at 10:51 AM..
Old 05-25-2009, 3:13 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
I have a couple of female customers that would loooooove to have a long "chat" with you
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 05-25-2009, 9:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Why is it gentleman always come in to the gunstore I work with thier moms, girlfriends, wives and say, "oh I need something for a WOMAN to protect the home. She needs a 22 revolver!" Then cop the biggest attitude with me when I try to explain some other options.
Yeah the 22 doesnt have recoil but neither does most resonable weapons. But hey, I'm just an instructor and a counter jockey. What do I know?
What about the tens of thousands of female soldiers out there who have been taught to shoot an M9 or dating back a few decades the 1911? What about the countless female officers out there who shoot something bigger than a 22?
I know this doesnt apply to ladies here on this forum but if a guy says ,"little lady, you need a mini revolver or a twenty five auto." Kick him in the balls.

Oh yeah. I love how insecure these guys are when they feel they need to speak for thier ladies. Like I ask her a question and he answers for her. Takes the firearm first before she can hold it or never lets her touch it or gets pissed off when I ask her the questions and make eye contact with her instead of him.
Jeff Cooper said that any woman could handle the mod 1911 .45 automatic. And said if she could not, "get her a .22 and teach her to shoot for the eyes." Very Few handguns have ever actually hurt me. I'm a 280lb man but I doubt there are many guns the average woman can't use effectively. The key is to start small and work up, getting her used to it. I think any woman can master a .357 or .45 auto. Both are "enough gun" for men AND women.
To keep it you must give it

"I will talk with you no more.
I will go now, and fight you."
(Red Cloud)
Old 05-25-2009, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post

thanks for your post! guys say they want women involved in the "sport" and 2nd amendment issues but their actions speak louder.

mz
Make no mistake you girls saved our *** on handgun control.

Thank you.

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-25-2009, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
Maybe they figure they'd have a better chance of surviving a shot from a .22

Damn. Darklyte beat me to it.
I always figured if my wife shot me, I probably needed shooting.

And I've been divorced 20 years.

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-26-2009, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movie zombie View Post
ticks me off when guys here at calguns post that they want the female in their life to have a gun and then it really seems what they're wanting is an excuse to buy the gun they really want. they'll ask another man's opinion rather than asking a woman. and they don't take the woman in question to a range to fire the guns herself and get her involved in the process.

also, i didn't buy at a bay area shop recently because while i get decent service when i go in by myself, the last time my hubby went with me and while the gun was my idea and for me [i'd been in to see it before], all the eye contact and conversation was directed to hubby. and i was a repeat customer having bought two used guns there prior to my hubby ever stepping into the place.

thanks for your post! guys say they want women involved in the "sport" and 2nd amendment issues but their actions speak louder.

mz
there could be a somewhat reasonable answer for that. when im at work and i see a couple i "usualy" look or talk to the guy cuss i have had bad experiences in the past with guys getting jealous just cuss im talking and making eye contact with there "girl" and not directly to them.. i only do that cuss id rather avoid any "possible" confrontation. has nothing to do with the with the fact that she is a woman only that some men tend to get jealous even if they dont say anything or show it. hope that makes u feel a little better.

Mainstreetkickboxing.com
Dont Bother Me, Im ShootN
Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2k View Post
I think Darklyte was saying the wife will out shoot the man,

your stating the wife will shoot the man.

If Scenario 2 is more likely, don't get her one.....
My position has always been that if your wife shoots you, you probably needed shooting. If only for being stupid enough to hitch up with the dingy broad!

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
So then whats with the women next to them that they are handing the firearm to and babying them as they hold it? Not for them? If someone wants a 22 for target practice whats wrong with that. if they want it for home defense simply because she is a woman, thats just belittling thier wives/gf
Man you are so PC it's painful!

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-30-2009, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I once watched a salesman in our highest end local sporting goods store talk up a pre-war Baby Browning .25auto to a young woman as a great choice for her for self defense. She thought it was “cute” and the man could smell a sale. Her BF kept suggesting maybe she should consider something a little more powerful and expressing misgivings about the reliability of a (at that time) 60 year old automatic that had probably been through a war. You could tell that she was listening more to the salesman because he was the “expert” and was telling her what she wanted to hear.

Most gun store clerks are honest and ethical, but I had known this guy for years and knew HE knew better. I lost all respect for him. It’s not always the BF that is blowing smoke up your skirt ladies. But I expect most on here can hold their own regardless.

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-30-2009, 8:06 PM

i know this lady that shoots a .375 H&H and goes on those safari hunting adventures in africa. shes killed elephants, buffalo and what not with that thing
Old 05-30-2009, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclemom View Post
You're not?!?!

It's OK though. I can relate. Men who don't have any guns pee a little when they find out how many I own.
Musclemom, you missy is a keeper!!
Old 05-30-2009, 8:45 PM

Tell'm girl....it's a common societal steriotype. I think if my girlfrined/wife was interested in a firearm I would go to the range with her and let her decide for herself.
Old 05-30-2009, 9:44 PM

When I first brought my GF shooting, we gave her a .22 ruger to start off with. She didn't have that much fun. Wasn't exciting enough for her.

Next time she used my .45 1911 and loved it. She's a tiny girl and can handle the .45 which she describes as more of a "push". She won't shoot anything smaller than 9mm, and still prefers .45 over other calibers. Stereotypes are baaaaad
Old 05-31-2009, 3:19 AM

Not really related, but it's confession time so I'll hide it in here. I really like the look of the Lady Smiths, so I can't wait to have a gf who is into shooting so I can take her to a shop and get one for "her".

I've taken all of my female roommates shooting, and they all liked my Tracker loaded with .38 +p+ the best.

WTT: 1K rounds 9mm for ???

Don't feed the cannibals.
Old 05-31-2009, 9:40 AM

I bought my wife a Smith and Wesson model 65 in .357 with a 3 inch barrel. I gave her .38 +p ammo.

So we went shooting...she shot it and said.....I like your Glock 17 better.....

My wife can shoot or use any of my 25 gun and rifles....
Old 05-31-2009, 4:39 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1911 View Post
Next time she used my .45 1911 and loved it. She's a tiny girl and can handle the .45 which she describes as more of a "push". She won't shoot anything smaller than 9mm, and still prefers .45 over other calibers. Stereotypes are baaaaad
I tend to encourage .45's for women and believe that there are some very good reasons to.

On a physiological level, womens wrists are weaker than mens. This is not a stereotype, it's not a sexist thing, it's just a fact of biology. Are there exceptions to every rule? Yes of course. But it's also a very safe generalization.

People assume that because 9mm is smaller than .45, the recoil is going to be less and therefore it's better for women. BZZZ! Not true.

9mm and .45 have almost the same recoil and almost the same downrange energy. There are, however, serious differences in how that energy is felt. The 9mm, with its much higher velocity has a sharper and faster impulse of recoil energy than .45, which is exactly why the .45 feels like more of a push while the 9mm feels like a sharp snap.

That "push" is much better for a weaker wrist, whether it's a woman or a new male shooter who hasn't gotten used to recoil yet.

Again, this is biology and physics, not sexism.

My GF loves her .45 (Kimber Custom II 1911), but now that her wrists have gotten a lot more used to shooting is liking her 9mm (Sig P226) even more.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
Old 05-31-2009, 5:12 PM

.22's are the most un-reliable cartridge Ive ever shot. I dont know why they would want their spouses to have one?? Ive shot the pistols, revolvers, rifles and .22 AR conversions and they are sooo unreliable. Out of 10 to 20 rounds the .22lr cartridge did one, or all of the following: Not fire, even if loaded twice(not good to do anyways), failure to feed and failure to eject. Rimfire is pew pew for that reason....
They give us rides to the war.
LOL!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAVEMAN762 View Post
.22's are the most un-reliable cartridge Ive ever shot. I dont know why they would want their spouses to have one?? Ive shot the pistols, revolvers, rifles and .22 AR conversions and they are sooo unreliable. Out of 10 to 20 rounds the .22lr cartridge did one, or all of the following: Not fire, even if loaded twice(not good to do anyways), failure to feed and failure to eject. Rimfire is pew pew for that reason....
My results may vary.

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-31-2009, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

In “Ride The Wind” the biography of Cynthia Ann Parker, a white woman who was taken as a child by the Apaches and adopted into the tribe. She relates how if you were a woman you were not barred from the use of, or training in, the art of the bow, the lance, the knife, or the gun. The only difference between you and a man was that it was not EXPECTED of you. You had a choice, where a man did not. A man who was not a hunter and warrior was considered worthless.

Cynthia her self often went on hunts and war parties.

That is my position on the subject. However personally I would rather be with a woman who has my six, and can protect the family if I’m down.

(Red Cloud)
Old 05-31-2009, 7:10 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbimmers View Post
My wife can shoot or use any of my 25 gun and rifles....
My girlfriend can shoot or use any of my guns and rifles.

And all of HERS too
Old 06-05-2009, 8:04 PM

I love a good .22 for fun shooting, but for home defense I have both a .45 ACP and a shotgun.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
My results may vary.

Very true But in general, the .22LR cartridge is very unreliable compared to most centerfire rounds. They can and will get the job done, but as any sort of defense round, I personally would not trust it (unless your defending yourself against a rabid squirrel), especially for my girlfriend.......I would hate for my women to be in such situation. When she fires the first shot it goes *bang*, then the follow up shot is *click* or vice versa. Of course it wont do that all the time, but I would rather minimize failure....
They give us rides to the war.
LOL!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 9:18 AM

Does size REALLY matter?
I hear a lot of macho stuff on here from both men & women about big guns. This is just my opinion: I started my 12yo daughter shooting last year. She loves it, as do I. I started her out with a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver. She's 13 now, been shooting less than a year, & has already asked to step up 2 something bigger. So last time we were @ the range I let her shoot my Sig .4o S&W. Not a whole lotta holes in the bull's eye, but she handled it well. So I feel comfortable with getting her a 9mm now. I'm sure she'll do fine with it. But the point I'm tring to make here is there is nothing wrong with starting out small, while you get comfortable with shooting. Sometimes the fear & antisapation of the recoil can take some of the fun, pleasure, & accuracy of getting started. Then there's the cost. We can shoot that .22 for a half day, for just over $10.00! ($1.47 for a box of 50 @ Walmart!) I can only afford to shoot 50 to 100 rnds out my .40 cal these days. Now, she's a kid, & I'm a Dad, so I'm gonna advise, & help make choices for her. Now if she were a grown woman, (Wife, Gf, whatever) and ASKED me to help her get started in shooting, and/or wanted something for HD, I would still start her out with the .22. Again, it's fun, get comfortable first. For HD, or for carry, for the average woman starting out, I'd recommend the 9mm. I think most would agree that this has the min. stopping power, & light recoil. I love my .40, I'm comfortable with it, & I'm confident it will do what I need it to do. At this point in time, I don't need or want a .45. But if in the future, my daughter, or any woman I may be dating, (single & LOVIN it!) wants a .45, we'll rent one @ the range first, & if they like it & want one, we'll go shopping. And if either of them should get better than me, Great! My daughter is already a 'lil Annie Oakley! (But Daddy has a real good eye, & she has her work cut out for her!) I'm just really glad she likes shooting, & this is something we can share quality time in together. We are both very competitive, & have a blast! As to the Ruger .22, I was thinking about trading it for a 9mm, but I think I'll keep it & just buy her one. This is a great gun for startin folks out on, (both men & women) fun & cheap to shoot.
Have fun!
Smit
Old 06-30-2009, 7:30 AM

As to the rimfire .22 being an "unreliable" round, all I know is I buy the cheap stuff from Walmart, Federal, Remington, Winchester, whatever they have in stock, I would say we put at least 800 rnds through the Ruger, and not ONE dud, (FTF Failure to Fire) (honestly) Now this is a revolver, so Failure to Feed, (FTF) is not an issue, but isn't FTF more a problem with the inner workings, & function of the gun itself, rather than the ammo?
Old 07-23-2009, 1:30 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
"i want a 22 for the wife"

Oh yea? you afraid she will out shoot you?

let him turn red..

Well, not OUT shoot me, but if she shoot ME, I'll have a better chance of surviving that 22rd then a 9mm or .45rd...
Old 07-30-2009, 9:30 PM

My ex was the opposite! He kept offering me the 'bigger' guns and kept making me shoot his 1911 and shotgun (for which I smacked him because the shotgun hurt me really bad). I finally settled for a Ruger 10/22 and it was perfect for me. He still made sure I got to shoot all the other guns though.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorsi View Post
My ex was the opposite! He kept offering me the 'bigger' guns and kept making me shoot his 1911 and shotgun (for which I smacked him because the shotgun hurt me really bad). I finally settled for a Ruger 10/22 and it was perfect for me. He still made sure I got to shoot all the other guns though.
Everybody has a different comfort level. A lady friend of mine shoots a 10/22, .410 pump shotgun and her husband's USP .40 just fine, but due to wrist injuries from her teen years, the recoil from a .40 is as much as she can tolerate in a handgun, and a 12 gauge is out of the question.

I'm not dissing the 10/22 (I have one, and love it.), but for a situation where I might have to fire shots in self defense, I'd want something that delivers more kinetic energy on impact than a 30 or 40 grain .22LR slug.

----------------
Now playing: Ministry - Scarecrow
via FoxyTunes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

To OP: I encourage my wife to shoot. If she can pull the trigger, she can shoot it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in, I would have done it. Senator Dianne Feinstein, CBS-TV's 60 Minutes, February 5, 1995
Old 08-05-2009, 9:58 AM
Calguns Addict

One story that I really liked was a guy who was out shooting and let some others try his 44 magnum. One guy said that the recoil was a bit strong, to which the owner replied that his 12 year old niece did not have a problem with it.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-06-2009, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

lol. i used to work at lowes, and i would be walking around with one of the girls who worked in doors and windows. and i would always have men coming up and asking my technical questions on installation. i would always just point to her and tell them to ask her she knows more about it than i do.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.
Old 08-07-2009, 2:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My wife hates recoil. I finally got her up to a 22 magnum revolver (S&W Model 17) and I am working on getting her to try my Security Six loaded with 38 spl. Maybe I can convince her to use the PC-9 if I can find a good scope for it. We went to a range to try out some rentals but they only had autoloaders. She will not use a semiauto unless absolutely necessary.
Old 08-07-2009, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

One funny thing is that typically women do better at firearms instruction as they listen and don't let their ego get in the way. Often men assume that they know how to shoot and don't need anyone telling them what they are doing wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 08-07-2009, 4:21 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife wants a Sig .380. She shot my dad's and likes it. I call it a wussy gun for two reasons:

1. It ruffles my dad's feathers.
2. I WANT her to get somthing bigger!

"Don't forget that you're First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!"
-Chesty Puller-

-Dimitri, I'm sorry they're jamming your radar and flying so low, but they're trained to do it. You know, it's, it's initiative!-
Old 08-07-2009, 4:33 PM
Calguns Addict

And what does she want? or is that not important? :-)

Old 08-08-2009, 4:49 PM
CGN Contributor

I've taken my girlfriend shooting a few times, and while it's not her thing, she knows how to handle my XD40. She wanted to start small, so I had her shoot a Ruger MkII. After that it was a Browning Highpower in 9mm. Then finally the XD. All of this in a few hours.

No matter who I teach to shoot, or what gun I use, I always focus on the basics. With those, it doesn't matter what you shoot. The gun only has to do with comfort. And if you're going to use it to defend yourself, well, I don't think comfort really enters in to that situation.

If any girl I know wants to buy a gun, I'll gladly go with them. But it's their show, because it will be their gun. If they want a 1911, more power to them. If they choose a .22LR revolver, more power to them. I refuse to make the choice for them though. If the salesperson only looks at me, I'm very quickly going to make it clear that I'm not the one they're selling to.
Old 08-08-2009, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife and sister both prefer the P22 when shooting. That said, I know if the SHTF they'd be fine with my XD9.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member