Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-24-2009, 10:28 AM

Default How does the 10/22 rotary mag work?

I found a video on how to disassemble the mag, and I understand generally that some mechanism in the rifle rotates the mag as it cycles, but does anyone have a video (like maybe a CAD thing) or diagram of how the action actually moves? It's really wierd to me how that mag rotates, and yet you can plug in a single-stack aftermarket mag and it works just as well.

p.s. - are there any recommendations on single-stack 10-round mags for the 10/22? Which brands are good? The lil rotary thing is annoying.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTF/PTM View Post
I found a video on how to disassemble the mag, and I understand generally that some mechanism in the rifle rotates the mag as it cycles, but does anyone have a video (like maybe a CAD thing) or diagram of how the action actually moves? It's really wierd to me how that mag rotates, and yet you can plug in a single-stack aftermarket mag and it works just as well.

p.s. - are there any recommendations on single-stack 10-round mags for the 10/22? Which brands are good? The lil rotary thing is annoying.

wow you dont like the rotary mag? i think its awesome. single stack mags will stick out the bottom of the rifle...and at least to my eyes, looks very ugly.

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 04-24-2009, 10:52 AM

Default mag

I like Butler Creeks steel lips .They function flawlessly.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:20 AM

in a ruger 10/22 the rotary mag does not get "rotated" by the action of the rifle.. think of the rotary mag as a single stack bent into a circle... spring tention brings the next round into poition after the rifle chambers the top round... they make clear rotary mags.... load one up and strip it by hand to get a better picture of how it works.

The standard 10 round 10/22 magazine stores the cartridges in a rotary fashion, rather than stacked, as seen in a box magazine. This allows the magazine to fit flush into the rifle without protruding from the stock. The action of the rifle strips a cartridge from the magazine with each shot, allowing the next cartridge to feed into place.

Last edited by RedRocket; 04-24-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: more info from outside source
Old 04-24-2009, 4:20 PM

I took my own mag apart, I understand it now. What a clever little machine. I must publicly apologize to Ruger for calling their rotary mag annoying, it's nothing of the sort - not nearly as complex as I thought it was. I like it when being proven wrong ends up working to my benefit.
Old 04-24-2009, 7:26 PM

Lol, never had a 10/22 but i do like the idea of thier rotary mags. Thats why i use 5 rounders in my savage, they only stick out of the stock about 1/4", unlike the 10 rounders. I like my .22's to NOT look like .22's . Hope i can grab a 10/22 next time i see them on sale.
Old 04-24-2009, 7:36 PM

I got the hotlips mags you can clip 3 10 rounders together and there are 30 rounds ready to go on the rifle. Of course if you move into the free world, or if we get full capacity mags back in California they sell super high capacity mags for the 10/22.
Old 04-24-2009, 7:45 PM
Deplorable by choice.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Close enough to see it but not close enough to smell it.

I've read here and there that they are assembled by "special" folks.

Sometimes they need a little tune-up.

For a country founded by the average man rising up against an oppressive government, we sure have an obsession about not giving up our guns.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
Old 04-24-2009, 8:06 PM

if you think the ruger rotary mag is complex try looking the calico 100 round mag i love mine... its like the energizer bunny... they just keep going and going
Old 04-24-2009, 10:12 PM

dont they also make a double helix mag for the 10/22, looks like a short churro
Old 04-26-2009, 6:55 PM

Midway sells a 50 round rotary mag that looks more complex than the original 10 rounder.
Old 04-26-2009, 7:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
Midway sells a 50 round rotary mag that looks more complex than the original 10 rounder.
hmm that brings up a good point is the 10 round rotary magazine technically a "drum"
Old 04-26-2009, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohoki View Post
hmm that brings up a good point is the 10 round rotary magazine technically a "drum"
good guestion?
Old 04-26-2009, 8:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnrevenge View Post
I got the hotlips mags you can clip 3 10 rounders together and there are 30 rounds ready to go on the rifle. Of course if you move into the free world, or if we get full capacity mags back in California they sell super high capacity mags for the 10/22.
How are the plastic Hot Lips? I got a bunch of the 10 round Steel Lips due to reports saying the feed lips on the Steel Lips last longer than their plastic counterpart?
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 04-28-2009, 2:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
How are the plastic Hot Lips? I got a bunch of the 10 round Steel Lips due to reports saying the feed lips on the Steel Lips last longer than their plastic counterpart?
the steel lips will outlive the body but in my experience the hot lips feed better
Old 04-28-2009, 4:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leggsman View Post
I like Butler Creeks steel lips .They function flawlessly.
my 25 rounder doesnt feed for crap, i tinhk the spring is just weak and doesnt have enough tension to push the round up far enough so the bolt can catch it.

but my 10 rounders with the plastic lips work real well. its my go to magazine.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.

Last edited by xibunkrlilkidsx; 04-28-2009 at 4:12 PM..
Old 04-28-2009, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
Mine work as well if not better than the original magazine. No problems and thousands of rounds through them.