Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 04-23-2009, 2:21 PM

Default Holster for Backpacking

Hello Calguns,

I was wondering what all my fellow backpackers holster their pistols with, when out on the trail. I am looking for any advice you may have, as this will be my first backpacking trip, where I am carrying. I have a Springfield XD .45, 5" tactical model. I was thinking something like a thigh holster or maybe even a chest holster. Hip and Shoulder room is already taken up by my pack. What do guys/gals have to say?

Thanks

Last edited by darkshier; 04-23-2009 at 6:20 PM..
Old 04-23-2009, 3:20 PM
Banned

I always thought the best way to carry would be on the right or left side of your lower back on the belt with the pistol forming an L CCW or CW 90 degrees, this would give you room for your pack, give basic concealment without being concealed and if you fell it wouldnt injure your spine.

the only negative is of course anyone next to you is going to have a gun pointed at them so maybe angle it down slightly or dont keep 1 in the chamber.

I wish the serpa I have could be configured like this.
Old 04-23-2009, 5:01 PM

I carry in a fanny pack that rides over the hip-belt. My understanding is that concealed carry is permitted when on a fishing trip and I always fish when backpacking.
Old 04-23-2009, 6:06 PM

Go with chest, the thigh holster will get annoying quick when you are backpacking.

"Don't steal, the Government hates competition."
Old 04-23-2009, 6:40 PM
Calguns Addict

also where are you backpacking? if i remember correctly, you can only carry in national forests.
Old 04-23-2009, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
also where are you backpacking? if i remember correctly, you can only carry in national forests.
I will be heading to Los Padres National Forest, on the Salmon Creek Trail. Have been looking at various holsters all day, still can't decide on what I want.
Old 04-23-2009, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

check out http://www.comp-tac.com/
I have this http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=55

its a outside waist belt holder and the 2 mag holder.

The dlx gives you 2 options to hold it on your belt.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshier View Post
I will be heading to Los Padres National Forest, on the Salmon Creek Trail. Have been looking at various holsters all day, still can't decide on what I want.
Nice, I was just in that eare about a month ago. Make sure you get the "fire permit" somehow from a ranger station. I earned myself a $125 ticket after this jack@ss hiked in.
Old 04-24-2009, 1:46 AM
In Memoriam

I'm no back packer but I'd try to find a way to not attatch it to my pack. If you drop your pack for what ever reason you won't have your firearm with you. Just my thoughts.

When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeb View Post
I carry in a fanny pack that rides over the hip-belt. My understanding is that concealed carry is permitted when on a fishing trip and I always fish when backpacking.
That is the first I have heard of this! Can anyone else confirm?

Thompology.com
Old 04-24-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990GT50 View Post
Nice, I was just in that eare about a month ago. Make sure you get the "fire permit" somehow from a ranger station. I earned myself a $125 ticket after this jack@ss hiked in.
Good heads up, 1990. Went to the Los Padres National Forest web site and found out that you can fax them to get a Fire Permit. Got to work today and did just that, so now I have a fire permit valid til next year.
Old 04-24-2009, 7:28 PM

I don't think you can ever carry concealed...unless you have a CCW or are some kind of LEO.
Old 04-24-2009, 7:55 PM
Calguns Addict

wait a minute, OP you were talking about open carry right?
Old 04-25-2009, 9:02 AM

Quote:
wait a minute, OP you were talking about open carry right?
Yes sir. Thanks again to everyone for responding in this thread. I have decided to go with a thigh holster. I think this will be the best choice for me when out on the trail, hopefully I am not wrong about that.

Also, to anyone who may be interested....I called the Monterey Ranger Station and asked them about the legality and regulations of carrying a pistol while backpacking, in the Los Padres National Forest. The lady on the other end, told me it is completely legal to carry while in the National Forest, but she stressed that the gun CANNOT be concealed. Made me feel a little bit better about deciding to carry on my trip.
Old 04-26-2009, 9:54 PM

I called El Dorado NF and same thing, as well as Desolation Wilderness, although they ask that you not shoot in the wilderness to keep it peaceful.

Thompology.com
Old 04-26-2009, 10:35 PM

I know you said you went with a thigh rig - but I'd really recommend a chest rig or finding a way to put that gun on your hip. The thigh rigs that I've used tend to get really annoying after just a short distance while walking or hiking. They are great for sitting in cars or what not, but on foot they kinda suck. I like the chest rig idea, but there aren't a lot of options.
I have a bunch of different holsters for my guns, I like a paddle holsters while hiking so I can easily remove it.
Anyway have a great trip.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popndrop View Post
I know you said you went with a thigh rig - but I'd really recommend a chest rig or finding a way to put that gun on your hip. The thigh rigs that I've used tend to get really annoying after just a short distance while walking or hiking. They are great for sitting in cars or what not, but on foot they kinda suck. I like the chest rig idea, but there aren't a lot of options.
I have a bunch of different holsters for my guns, I like a paddle holsters while hiking so I can easily remove it.
Anyway have a great trip.
I have to second these sentiments! They don't kinda suck. They just suck. Don't go with a thigh rig. Chest is the way to go.

Old 04-27-2009, 1:18 AM

I keep a .357 under a flap holster strapped onto the right side of a fannypack belt. The fannypack contains the most basic survival gear and never comes off. If I meet someone on the trail, the flap holster looks like just another piece of equipment, but I twist to the right, to keep my body between them and the revolver, as I walk past.
Old 04-27-2009, 7:53 AM

I agree as well about the leg holster. Mine gets uncomfortable really fast.

I'm currently looking at getting a 5.11 Tactical Vest in Khaki. If you are out hiking it will just look like a hiking vest, but it has two concealed zippered areas. I think you can get holsters that are made to go inside. If you are doing open carry, I would say on the hip (I prefer paddle) or a shoulder rig.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 04-27-2009, 8:41 AM

Thanks again for all the reply's fellas. I was going to use a thigh holster, but this overwhelming feedback has me thinking twice. As Popndrop stated, chest rigs are kind of hard to find, which is why I was thinking thigh. The Tactical Vest is a good idea, that I was also looking into. Was also thinking of buying a MOLLE vest and slapping a MOLLE holster on the chest of it. I got another couple weeks to decide. Really appreciate all the advice guys.
Old 04-27-2009, 7:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Better to find out what works and what does now than to get out there, hike half a mile,feel the holster rubbing on you and you cant stand it anymore and you still have 5 miles to go.

Also, it depends on what kind of backpack you have too.
Backpacks and i mean backpacking backpacks tend to be large and have a belt that goes all around. it would probably be in the way to carry a hip holster unless you had a small pack. Remember it should be out in the open, *open carry*

lastly, take pics of the trip! I love backpacking as well and enjoy hearing stories and seeings pics.
Old 04-28-2009, 1:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

What are the actual legalities of carrying a handgun in a national forest?
Old 04-28-2009, 2:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy774 View Post
I don't think you can ever carry concealed...unless you have a CCW or are some kind of LEO.
You can conceal carry unloaded to/from a hunting/fishing expedition and load up once you get there.

Quote:
California Penal Code Section 12027

Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the
following:

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
expedition.
http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12027.html

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 04-28-2009, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Better to find out what works and what does now than to get out there, hike half a mile,feel the holster rubbing on you and you cant stand it anymore and you still have 5 miles to go.

Also, it depends on what kind of backpack you have too.
Backpacks and i mean backpacking backpacks tend to be large and have a belt that goes all around. it would probably be in the way to carry a hip holster unless you had a small pack. Remember it should be out in the open, *open carry*

lastly, take pics of the trip! I love backpacking as well and enjoy hearing stories and seeings pics.
Good advice Darklyte. I am am going to go on a short 5 mile hike this weekend and see what works for me the best. I have a full size, internal frame backpack. The hip straps are pretty big on the sides and smaller in front. I am constantly adjusting them on the trail though, so it wouldn't be to practical to have a hip holster. But yes, open carry is the name of the game here, not chancing breaking any CCW laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
What are the actual legalities of carrying a handgun in a national forest?
Loaded Open Carry is legal, Concealed Carry is not, unless you have a CCW permit. I called and confirmed this with the local ranger station of where I will be going. They just stress to not carry concealed and everything is A OK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
You can conceal carry unloaded to/from a hunting/fishing expedition and load up once you get there.

http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12027.html
Nice, thanks Jday.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshier View Post
Good advice Darklyte. I am am going to go on a short 5 mile hike this weekend and see what works for me the best. I have a full size, internal frame backpack. The hip straps are pretty big on the sides and smaller in front. I am constantly adjusting them on the trail though, so it wouldn't be to practical to have a hip holster. But yes, open carry is the name of the game here, not chancing breaking any CCW laws.

Loaded Open Carry is legal, Concealed Carry is not, unless you have a CCW permit. I called and confirmed this with the local ranger station of where I will be going. They just stress to not carry concealed and everything is A OK.

Nice, thanks Jday.
No problem, its a little known bit of the PC though so you should keep a copy of both 12025 and 12027 on you if you decide to do this. And remember, coyotes are always in season

ETA: PC 12031 covers this also. http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/12031.html

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

Last edited by JDay; 04-28-2009 at 11:17 AM..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
What's the point of carrying an UNLOADED gun on your person, concealed or otherwise? I just don't see it.

For the OP, check out Haugen Hangun Leather, http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/ He makes a nice chest rig. You won't get it in time for your current trip, but you will be good to go for the future.

Bob
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDake View Post
What's the point of carrying an UNLOADED gun on your person, concealed or otherwise? I just don't see it.

For the OP, check out Haugen Hangun Leather, http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/ He makes a nice chest rig. You won't get it in time for your current trip, but you will be good to go for the future.

Bob
I was pointing out the law, never said it made sense to carry an unloaded firearm.

Old 05-03-2009, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Let me know if this is wrong but can anyone make a suggestion for me carrying my 6" sw 610 while I hike? Would something cheap like this be okay? http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=128256572 or what would you suggest? I was thinking going dirty harry style but the backpack straps would get in the way. Thanks and sorry if I'm out of line asking this question here.
Old 05-04-2009, 5:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDake View Post

Bob
It's quite simple... would you rather have an unloaded gun with a few loaded mags ready to go, or have no gun at all when something bad happens? It really doesn't take long to insert a magazine into a gun.
Old 05-04-2009, 7:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

+1 on Haugen Handgun Leather, Model 20, it is a hybrid of the M3 holster. I have one for a 4" N frame. It works for hiking, snow mobile, ATV etc.

http://www.haugenhandgunleather.com/...UCT_ID=Model20

Last edited by Californio; 05-04-2009 at 7:49 AM..
Old 05-04-2009, 3:41 PM

I always usee a shoulder holster that I put on first, then the backpack. I can access the weapon when I need to, and it's nice and tucked away under my left arm. No problems with the straps or waist belt either.

I think I picked mine up at some gun show and it was not that expensive...

Have fun!
Next to me in the blackness lay my oiled blue steel beauty. The greatest Christmas gift I had ever received, or would ever receive. Gradually, I drifted off to sleep, pringing ducks on the wing and getting off spectacular hip shots.
- Ralphie from "A Christmas Story"
Old 05-05-2009, 2:07 AM
Veteran Member

IMO: 1. Side holster 2. Chest holster 3. leg holster. This is my preference for hunting/hiking as what the op's going to use for. And loaded open carry in Kommifornia natl forest is a good to go. Just make sure if you see other people on the trail, try not to expose the gun/keep hidden/block view with something i.e. pack/tree/brush as there are quite a few of ANTI-GUNNer&TreeHUggers out on such trails. They can get you into some trouble/problems not worth gettin' into. Ex: treehugger or anti see's you armed and reports to sheriff/DFG that you're out and about target shooting trees/wild animals/leaving trash in the wild. Just avoid other people if possible.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 AM

I'm thinking about a fanny pack holster for cycling.
I see Mike's has their Gun Runner Fanny Pack:

Seems like the ticket to me.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canute View Post
I'm thinking about a fanny pack holster for cycling.
I see Mike's has their Gun Runner Fanny Pack:

Seems like the ticket to me.
That would be considered Concealed Carry - the point of this thread was to discuss open carry in the wilderness. If you were to carry concealed it would break the laws (unless you have a CCW).
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM
Calguns Addict

did you ever go on the trip yet? pics?
Old 05-29-2009, 4:37 PM

Quote:
That would be considered Concealed Carry - the point of this thread was to discuss open carry in the wilderness. If you were to carry concealed it would break the laws (unless you have a CCW).
I'm doing coast to coast and have a Utah permit, so at least I can defend myself in most of the states I cross, lock boxing it in the ones I can't.
Old 05-29-2009, 5:12 PM

on my pack, there is a spot between the frame and the lower waist belt that is perfect for hiding a small revolver or auto in a pouch. On my internal frame pack, i attach a small pouch to the outside of the pack (closest to me).. imagine a military MOLLE set up
Old 05-29-2009, 5:39 PM

to the original question...

http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-96-14-1...8-barrels.aspx

seems to be popular
Greebo, as a matter of feline pride, would attempt to fight or rape absolutely anything, up to and including a four-horse logging wagon. Ferocious dogs would whine and hide under the stairs when Greebo sauntered down the street. Foxes Kept away from the village. Wolves made a detour. Terry Pratchett
Old 05-29-2009, 5:41 PM

Quote:
I don't necessarily look at this thread as JUST about open carry. The original question was about backpacking.

"Hello Calguns,

I was wondering what all my fellow backpackers holster their pistols with, when out on the trail. I am looking for any advice you may have, as this will be my first backpacking trip, where I am carrying. I have a Springfield XD .45, 5" tactical model. I was thinking something like a thigh holster or maybe even a chest holster. Hip and Shoulder room is already taken up by my pack. What do guys/gals have to say?

Thanks"

He does mention a thigh holster and a chest one, but those of us with a CCW have it because of situations JUST LIKE BACKPACKING. It is the perfect place to be packing as you are alone and vulnerable. I also might add that the "Backpacking/Mountain Biking" crowd may be mostly the granola eating, tree hugging, ANTI-GUN types. It may be more "Acceptable" if you were concealed (I know you have every right, but some people freak out when they see guns). Personally I prefer concealed for the reason above as well as it keeps me from becoming a target for theft of my firearm as well as letting the potential criminal know exactly where your firearm is and the best way they can disarm you.

Obviously if you are unable to get a CCW, you have no other choice but to open carry.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old 06-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwls13 View Post
I don't necessarily look at this thread as JUST about open carry. The original question was about backpacking.

"Hello Calguns,

Thanks"

He does mention a thigh holster and a chest one, but those of us with a CCW have it because of situations JUST LIKE BACKPACKING. It is the perfect place to be packing as you are alone and vulnerable. I also might add that the "Backpacking/Mountain Biking" crowd may be mostly the granola eating, tree hugging, ANTI-GUN types. It may be more "Acceptable" if you were concealed (I know you have every right, but some people freak out when they see guns). Personally I prefer concealed for the reason above as well as it keeps me from becoming a target for theft of my firearm as well as letting the potential criminal know exactly where your firearm is and the best way they can disarm you.

Obviously if you are unable to get a CCW, you have no other choice but to open carry.
Yes-YES-Yes....most of the backpackers/mtnbiking crowd there ARE treehugger/Anti-Guns. When they see guns they go crazy and think you are about to go kill a whole bunch of people. That's why you should avoid them if possible and just Keep your holster out of there sight-NOT CCW but by other means.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>