Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-22-2009, 5:53 PM

Default AR15 Lower transfer help. please look. unique situation :)

Hey to all the FFLs looking and first and foremost thank you.

here is my situation:

I own a california compliant Rock river ar15. Now here is the different situation. I am a LEO and would like to carry the rifle on duty. now for it to be able for me to carry on duty it would have to have 30rd magazines and no mag lock, which means assault rifle. now speaking to multiple assualt rifle dealers here in califnoria who deal with LEOs they say there is no way to "re-register" the lower as an assault rifle. BUT

My FFL said it could be done if I drove to AZ or NV and had an FFL send it back to him (an assault rifle dealer) then he could register it for me as an assault rifle. so rather than driving 6 hours to find a willing FFL to ship my lower back here is there one willing to help. I do not think there is much for the FFL to do rather than accept my lower and re-ship to the FFL here.

I sent a PM to freakshow and then posted this. SO if you can help please pm or email me.

OR...

If there is an FFL that has Rock river or bushmaster stripped lowers in stock I might just buy a new one and get it registered as an assault rifle to carry. I guess that woul give me an excuse to buy a new gun.

Sorry fot the long read but I feel that this is a unique situation that needed a full explenation
Old 04-22-2009, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

PM responded to. I'd be glad to help.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

if your l.e just get a letterhead from the chief or sherriff saying you are ok to recieve an assault weapon. then fill out the correct forms from the doj for that weapon along with the right amount of money and wait for your approval and registration, then remove whatever compliant parts you have on it. done
Old 04-26-2009, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesob View Post
if your l.e just get a letterhead from the chief or sherriff saying you are ok to recieve an assault weapon. then fill out the correct forms from the doj for that weapon along with the right amount of money and wait for your approval and registration, then remove whatever compliant parts you have on it. done
I wish it was that easy. but the problem is that the weapon is already registered as a cali compliant long gun and it needs to be registerd as an assault rifle. and according to multiple shops you cannot just re-register a gun with the DOJ, I was told that upon buying it there is a 90 day window to register it as an assault rifle.

From what I was told that it needs to leave and come back into the state (through FFL transfers) so I can start a new registration process with a dept letter.

If there is somewhere you can point me on the DOJ website. Where I can register it as an assault rifle using a dept letter help me out that would be waaaay easier and safer for me.

please if there are other options anyone please let me know.

my other option is buying a whole assault rifle using a dept letter
Old 04-26-2009, 8:11 PM

good reading here

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/0...ab5/15/hilite/
Old 04-26-2009, 10:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Change the lower and you should be good to go...

Stags on Sale here in No-Cal

Golden State Tactical <---click here or Here--->Golden State Tactical Store

An Outpost Deep In the Heart of the Beast! Home of "California Compliant" AR15 Parts and Magazines and some of the lowest priced guns in the state!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 AM

Please enlighten me, but how do you register a long gun? DROS isn't registration.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood562 View Post
I wish it was that easy. but the problem is that the weapon is already registered as a cali compliant long gun and it needs to be registerd as an assault rifle. and according to multiple shops you cannot just re-register a gun with the DOJ, I was told that upon buying it there is a 90 day window to register it as an assault rifle.

From what I was told that it needs to leave and come back into the state (through FFL transfers) so I can start a new registration process with a dept letter.

If there is somewhere you can point me on the DOJ website. Where I can register it as an assault rifle using a dept letter help me out that would be waaaay easier and safer for me.

please if there are other options anyone please let me know.

my other option is buying a whole assault rifle using a dept letter
there is no registration on long guns period unless its an assault weapon. dros is not registration therefore you can register it with the doj as an a.w. also l.e can sell each other their registered assault weapons as long as they register each time with the doj, we did that a few times in my dept. it's that easy. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf page 6 tells you your exemption.

Last edited by jamesob; 04-27-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Please enlighten me, but how do you register a long gun? DROS isn't registration.
sory I confused dros as registration. I thought the gun was registered to me as a long gun. arnt they considered registered? well anyways.

jamesbob: "there is no registration on long guns period unless its an assault weapon. dros is not registration therefore you can register it with the doj as an a.w. also l.e can sell each other their registered assault weapons as long as they register each time with the doj, we did that a few times in my dept. it's that easy. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf page 6 tells you your exemption. "

but if you read it it states weapons before 2002 or it gives the statement that it needs to be registered with the DOJ within 90 days of receipt of the weapon, both of which I do not quailfy.

Freakshow has not been responding to my PM's. so maybe my bestbet is to buy a new lower, transfer my parts and I will be within the 90 DOJ registration period.

And I really am confused about the confusion between DROSing a gun and registering it. If I run a serial number on a gun I get a name of an owner so I considered that a form of registration. Never heard the difference between DROSing and registering
Old 04-27-2009, 8:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
sory I confused dros as registration. I thought the gun was registered to me as a long gun. arnt they considered registered? well anyways.

jamesbob: "there is no registration on long guns period unless its an assault weapon. dros is not registration therefore you can register it with the doj as an a.w. also l.e can sell each other their registered assault weapons as long as they register each time with the doj, we did that a few times in my dept. it's that easy. http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/awguide.pdf page 6 tells you your exemption. "

but if you read it it states weapons before 2002 or it gives the statement that it needs to be registered with the DOJ within 90 days of receipt of the weapon, both of which I do not quailfy.

Freakshow has not been responding to my PM's. so maybe my bestbet is to buy a new lower, transfer my parts and I will be within the 90 DOJ registration period.

And I really am confused about the confusion between DROSing a gun and registering it. If I run a serial number on a gun I get a name of an owner so I considered that a form of registration. Never heard the difference between DROSing and registering
the way i mentioned is the way you do it,call the doj directly and they will tell you the same. this part tells you.
dros is a dealer record of sale, handguns are registered and will come back with make/model/ serial number. rifles will come back serial number only and will not tell you what it is.

Any such-identified peace officer may also, with the authorization of his or her agency head, purchase or
receive an assault weapon on or after January 1, 2002, provided he or she registers it as an assault weapon with
the Department of Justice within 90 days of receipt. Agency authorization must be in the form of verifiable
written certification from the head of the agency identifying the recipient or possesor of the assault weapon as a
peace officer and authorizing him or her to receive or possess the specific assault weapon. The peace officer
must include a copy of this authorization with the assault weapon registration. Assault weapon registration
forms may be obtained from the Department of Justice by calling (916) 227-3694.

also since your weapon is compliant it does not have assault weapon features so you do not posses an a.w at this time, so your 90 days is mute.

Last edited by jamesob; 04-27-2009 at 8:33 PM..
Old 04-27-2009, 8:39 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesob View Post
the way i mentioned is the way you do it,call the doj directly and they will tell you the same. this part tells you.
dros is a dealer record of sale, handguns are registered and will come back with make/model/ serial number. rifles will come back serial number only and will not tell you what it is.

Any such-identified peace officer may also, with the authorization of his or her agency head, purchase or
receive an assault weapon on or after January 1, 2002, provided he or she registers it as an assault weapon with
the Department of Justice within 90 days of receipt. Agency authorization must be in the form of verifiable
written certification from the head of the agency identifying the recipient or possesor of the assault weapon as a
peace officer and authorizing him or her to receive or possess the specific assault weapon. The peace officer
must include a copy of this authorization with the assault weapon registration. Assault weapon registration
forms may be obtained from the Department of Justice by calling (916) 227-3694.

also since your weapon is compliant it does not have assault weapon features so you do not posses an a.w at this time, so your 90 days is mute.

ahhhh. thats the prt about the 90 days being mute. I need to call the DOJ. because the few dealers that sell and register assault rifles both gave me the 90 day thing and they said since I owned the gun for over 1 year. but I see what you are saying that I did NOT recieve an assault rifle so I do not have 90 days.

But I will have to ask becasue if I take a CA compliant gun and make it non compliant will I be "manufactuaring" a AW?

well either way I need to call them, I can Get a letter no problem so maybe my problems will be solved faster and cheaper than I thought.

thanks jamesbob. if this works out I owe you one
Old 04-27-2009, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
ahhhh. thats the prt about the 90 days being mute. I need to call the DOJ. because the few dealers that sell and register assault rifles both gave me the 90 day thing and they said since I owned the gun for over 1 year. but I see what you are saying that I did NOT recieve an assault rifle so I do not have 90 days.

But I will have to ask becasue if I take a CA compliant gun and make it non compliant will I be "manufactuaring" a AW?

well either way I need to call them, I can Get a letter no problem so maybe my problems will be solved faster and cheaper than I thought.

thanks jamesbob. if this works out I owe you one
you will not be mfg. because you will have permission to posses.
Old 04-27-2009, 8:54 PM

good deal. I am serious that I own you if this all works out. everyone that deals with the AR's at work was like, "Wow, good luck with that"
Old 04-27-2009, 9:39 PM
Veteran Member

you own me? lol. how about you owe me?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:00 PM

hahahahahahaha

yeah sorry. I OWE you.
Old 04-28-2009, 2:16 PM

a little update. SO I called the DOJ and the very nice lady on the phone said she would send me the AW registtration packet. I began asking about the whole converting from ca compliant to AW and she transfered me to another lady who was the expert on that and dealing with LEOs. Well all I got was her voicemail so I left her a message and waiting for her call.

But I did get the AW forms sent to me, sad part is that it takes 60-90 days after I send the forms back
Old 04-30-2009, 10:13 PM

has anyone seen or heard from freakshow lately? A middle man tansfer would be faster than going directly through the DOJ.

I want to carry my personal AR at work
Old 05-01-2009, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
has anyone seen or heard from freakshow lately? A middle man tansfer would be faster than going directly through the DOJ.

I want to carry my personal AR at work
it will not be faster, you still have to go threw the same crap to register it. if you send your papers in along with all the things they want from you, you will be fine. tell the chief/ sherriff what is going on and then carry it. your chief said it's o.k and you filed the papers, remove the compliant parts and enjoy. remember dros is not registration and it would be a waist of time and money sending it out of state, and it still wouldn't be registered with the doj as an assult weapon. only you can can register an assault weapon, dealers can't register it for you. this is the only way and the fastest, trust me.

Last edited by jamesob; 05-01-2009 at 6:19 PM..
Old 05-01-2009, 9:08 PM

Update, I got off the phone with the DOJ and bad news, she stated that I could take the gun to any assault rifle dealer to register it since it is not registered but only DROSd. however she said if I remove the bullet button I am manufacturing an assault rifle and that is a big no no since I do not have a license to do so and the assault rifle dealers around will not do it either.

So I am back to square one. I cannot just register it with the DOJ directly and remove the bullet button becasue I have owned the gun for well over a year and it is either I owned an assault rifle for over a year and did not register it or I am manufacturing. either way is lose lose.

I think I just need to buy a new complete rifle.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Update, I got off the phone with the DOJ and bad news, she stated that I could take the gun to any assault rifle dealer to register it since it is not registered but only DROSd. however she said if I remove the bullet button I am manufacturing an assault rifle and that is a big no no since I do not have a license to do so and the assault rifle dealers around will not do it either.

So I am back to square one. I cannot just register it with the DOJ directly and remove the bullet button becasue I have owned the gun for well over a year and it is either I owned an assault rifle for over a year and did not register it or I am manufacturing. either way is lose lose.

I think I just need to buy a new complete rifle.
the problem is that you talked to somebody at the doj.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Please, please excuse my ignorance, but why can't you just get a new lower, transfer all your other pieces to the new lower, and then register it as an AW?
Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
Please, please excuse my ignorance, but why can't you just get a new lower, transfer all your other pieces to the new lower, and then register it as an AW?
it has nothing to do with the lower itself. the problem is, well i don't know what the problem is. i registered mine the same way i told him how to do it so i don't know?