Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-21-2009, 5:23 PM

Default Is the sig sauer 22lr conversion kit for the P220 any good?

Is the sig sauer 22lr conversion kit for the P220 any good? I'm considering buying one to save money on .45 acp. Just wondering is it worth the $300 bucks. How do you like it?
Old 04-21-2009, 6:03 PM

For $300 bucks you can go another route and just get a used Sig Mosquito 22lr.
Old 04-22-2009, 1:30 PM

I have the conversion kit for the 226. I like it a lot. I had to send it in for warranty work when I first got it because the firing pin gouged out a divot into the chamber area, which lead to failures to feed.

Sig warranty repaired the kit completely on their dime (for shipping) and since then the kit has been functioning flawlessly.

I can run cheapy walmart bulk 22lr (any brand walmart sells) with only 1 or 2 failures to cycle every 30 or 40 rounds.

If I run hi velocity 22lr, as recommended by sig in the instructions, the kit will run 100% flawless.

In any case, I'm more than fine with a few failures to feed here or there running the cheapest 22lr.

I recommend the kit. It's accurate enough and cheap to run. One last thing is you do have to run it pretty wet (oiled) to keep it running, but that's no big deal to me.
Old 04-22-2009, 1:36 PM

I was thinking of getting the conversion kit for my 220, but thought, "why not get another gun instead for about the same price?" That's when I decided to go with a MarkIII or Buckmark. Sure you can practice with your Sig, but it still won't feel the same (other than the trigger). Also, I did not like that it didn't hold the slide back after the last shot.

Ended up with a MarkIII Hunter for twice that I wanted to spend, but I think it's the best .22 pistol Ruger makes.
Old 04-23-2009, 1:11 AM

The only mosquito I have ever shot more or less utterly failed to cycle bulk pack ammo (Fed, Rem, or Win). Maybe it could be made to do so, but this seems to be a common problem with both the Mosquito and the Walther P22.

Also, the Mosquito is 90% sized. In practice, this means it doesn't really feel like the larger sigs at all although the controls are all in the same spots. It also has an annoying as **** mag disconnect.

-Pete
Old 04-23-2009, 9:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

what about the colt woodsman. i am a w german sig owner many times over but would consider the old colt if price was right. i considered the conversion kit for my p220 but after reviewing it's potential decided against it. would be very interested if sig improved on it.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcat707 View Post
For $300 bucks you can go another route and just get a used Sig Mosquito 22lr.
People have bought the .22 conversion because of their frustration with the Mosquito. The net is full of posts by unsatisfied owners complaining about them.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Woodsman would be good - Resale would be good too -
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berg View Post
People have bought the .22 conversion because of their frustration with the Mosquito. The net is full of posts by unsatisfied owners complaining about them.
I hear that there are two reasons for repeated mosquito failures: running bulk ammo which Sig specifically says not to do and failing to clean out the cosmoline that's on the gun for preservation. Give it a good cleaning, oil it up and run high-velocity ammo and it should run flawlessly.

That said, I'm gonna pick up a .22lr conversion kit myself for one of my Sigs, haven't decided which one yet.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

i have the version for the P229 and it has some feed issues but seems to be getting better as i put more rounds through it.
generally the problem is a failure to go completely into battery, w/ the round hanging up either early on, with just the tip entering the chamber, or going almost all the way in, with the slide stopping just before locking forward.
seems to be a bit of drag on the slide even w/o a loaded mag in it, but as i say it feels like its improving and malfunction frequency is decreasing.
but in general i like it, i have advantage arms conversions for my Glock & 1911 and really like being able to shoot .22LR out of them all for fun & practice.
the Sig conversions do not have last round slide lock, unfortunately.

Last edited by goober; 04-26-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Old 04-25-2009, 8:54 PM
Veteran Member

I bought a P220 conversion kit recently, and got to test drive it out in Nevada. I'm a pretty patient person (I've owned a few 22s in my time...I understand the whole finicky ammo issue) but I was disappointed in this kit's performance.

1) Required plenty of lube in the right areas. The first problem was that the hammer drags on the slide anodization like nails on a chalkboard. Lots of friction and FTE and FTF. But ok, no big deal - lube the right areas, and we're off. Got that straightened out, and then..

2) The magazine is plastic, and it started backing out after the first round. Took me a while to diagnose it, but I noticed that the slide cycling would push the magazine down -- and it just gouged it past the mag release (which works fine with my .45 metal mags). So after 100 rounds or so, I just tried to hold to magazine in place with my supporting hand. Guess what? The slide wouldn't cycle and eject a round.

So in short - got back home, cruised on over to Sigforms, and, surprise - lots and lots of folks have this very problem.

SIG will fix it, I'm sure...but I'm a little bummed that a ~$300 kit performs this poorly.

--Neill
Old 04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

To me that's wrong - Put out a product to have it not functioning 100% -
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigon1965 View Post
To me that's wrong - Put out a product to have it not functioning 100% -
It seems to boil down to this -- for $300 why wouldn't you manufacture metal magazines that work with the existing frames and mag catches?

--Neill
Old 04-27-2009, 9:45 AM

Weird. I took my brand new 226 (9mm) out this weekend and also purchased a conversion slide to go with it.

The conversion performed almost flawlessly. Like 3 failure to feeds and 2 dead rounds (multi strikes). And that was with Federal bulk 22 ammo. Even the guys behind the counter were impressed (they were trying to get me to buy their CCI mini-mags.....)

No probs with the mag either. I'm wanting to buy more, but damn, $50 retail each???????????
Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

So - just got off the phone with Sig service; they have requested I ship them the frame of my P220R, the 22lr kit, and a .45 mag, so they can gunsmith on the mag catch.

Not sure how I feel about it...stay tuned.

--Neill
Old 06-07-2009, 4:26 PM
Veteran Member

Update - got my Sig back about a week ago- they did not 'smith on the mag catch at all -- just replaced the magazine.

So finally had a chance to go put it through its paces this morning -- man it's accurate -- and got through about 50 rounds of various .22lr before....(pardon me while I shout into the void....)

MOTHER****ER!

The mag started to back out again during firing. I checked the magazine and sure enough, it had started to wear in exactly the same spot as before. By the time I was through it wouldn't cycle through a single magazine without a malfunction.

This kit sucks my (pick your body part).-- for $300 I shoulda simply bought a Ruker MkII. So should you.

--Neill
Old 06-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Initially, my Sig Mosquito was a little disappointing, but breaking it in and switching over to CCI Mini Mags, it shoots like a dream.

The Glock Advantage Arms kits are truly excellent and handle cheap ammo very well.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

I got the conversion for the 226 and it has been good to me I have shot 2 boxes of cheap wallyworld bulk ammo and had maybe 10 ftf & fte's, so after a 1100 rounds I am happy and will continue to shoot it and tell people it works for me.

Thieves are the lowest form of life out there, except for liberal politicians, of course, but that's redundant.
Old 07-12-2009, 9:45 AM
Veteran Member

So, just a quick bump for an update: I returned my P220 SAO + Conversion kit a second time and did get it back in time for the Shoot-N-Q. New magazine, and they replaced the mag catch in the frame as well this time. Mag stays seated, although the catch is wearing the polymer down in the same place.

I discovered it does not like the Winchester 333 at all -- so, I put that away and started using the JHP Federal high-velocity. After break-in it still FTEd about every 30 rounds of so while my wife was shooting it. We put it away after a while -- both got tired of screwing with it. This is a fussy conversion kit.

Bottom line: I'll put it away and wait for someone to start manufacturing a metal mag for it. I'm ready to sell it but feel kinda bad selling the thing to another Calgunner, even though Sig will certainly honor the warranty on it.

--Neill

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Update - got my Sig back about a week ago- they did not 'smith on the mag catch at all -- just replaced the magazine.

So finally had a chance to go put it through its paces this morning -- man it's accurate -- and got through about 50 rounds of various .22lr before....(pardon me while I shout into the void....)

MOTHER****ER!

The mag started to back out again during firing. I checked the magazine and sure enough, it had started to wear in exactly the same spot as before. By the time I was through it wouldn't cycle through a single magazine without a malfunction.

This kit sucks my (pick your body part).-- for $300 I shoulda simply bought a Ruker MkII. So should you.

--Neill
Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default IT was a tough decision but I finally bought one for my P229

What I am gathering is that it works well with some Sig models and less well with others. Sounds like the P226 works great and the P220 has big problems. I am betting it will work well with my P229. CCI Mini-mags are very hard to find and likely will be a long time to come I think, so I am going to try other high velocity .22 LR rounds to experiment. I'll report my experiences here.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." --Jeff Cooper
Old 04-24-2010, 5:49 PM

The .22 kit for my P220 sucked the first time out also. I have 3 different HV ammo and a hyper v ammo to try next time. I'll bring my oil can and see what happens. I have a feeling I'll be calling SigService soon.