Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-16-2011, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by epcii View Post
You're kidding, right? I may have to wait longer than I initially thought...
The most you can do is call to see if/when your app has been processed.
They will give you the exact day it was processed. Then start your "hurry up and wait" countdown from then.
Some have got it in as little a 2 weeks, some 2 months, some 3 months. It's an unpredictable crap-shoot. But waiting 12 weeks is not uncommon for some folks.

Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Last edited by GOEX FFF; 10-16-2011 at 5:56 PM..
Old 10-16-2011, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOEX FFF View Post
The most you can do is call to see if/when your app has been processed.
They will give you the exact day it was processed. Then start your "hurry up and wait" countdown from then.
Some have got it in as little a 2 weeks, some 2 months, some 3 months. It's an unpredictable crap-shoot. But waiting 12 weeks is not uncommon for some folks.
Ok, thanks. I'll have to prepare to wait 3 months then. Merry Christmas to me?

Ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders
NRA Member
Old 10-16-2011, 8:15 PM

Quote:
The wait time starts from when they process your app. Not at the time they take the $30.00.
The wait time can be up to 90 days.
im under the general assumption that they start processing the app when your charged (give or take a couple days). Its in the queue in any case. Im happy with that. I say 30 days because it seems like thats how long its been taking as of recently. But if you would like to crap on my parade with any more of your logic please proceed.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

No parade crapping. You're both right for the most part. 30 days or less has been the average unless your app gets lost under a pile.
Old 10-17-2011, 3:03 PM
Calguns Addict

LOL.. Its not me crapping on the parade, its the time when ATF is allowed to get around to sending out your app. True, you might get it tomorrow, 30 days or 3 months from now. Its better to just wait and be patient than to run to the mail box in anticipation everyday only to find nothing but nothing. Trust me, I know the feeling. I've been there before too in the past.......and 12 weeks later................

Like I said in another post, you can call them and they will tell you the exact day your app was processed. Then ask them how long it will take to get your FFL. They will tell you 30-90 days. Their words not mine.
Then tell them that people on an online forum say they have been getting their FFL in 30. Then see how much they care.
It is what it is.

Here’s your numbers to call -

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Federal Firearms Licensing Center
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405 USA
Voice (866) 662-2750 (Toll Free)
Fax (866) 257-2749 (Toll Free)
NLC@atf.gov

Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Last edited by GOEX FFF; 10-17-2011 at 3:13 PM..
Old 10-17-2011, 3:06 PM

I know... Im just saying that I was not being so exact as to how long its going to take. Generally speaking. Im not in a rush. If i still didnt get anything in about 2 months then I will give them a call and see when they processed it. Otherwise im good with a little wait. Thanks for all that contact info.

Quote:
LOL.. Its not me crapping on the parade, its the time when ATF gets around to your app. True, you might get it tomorrow, 30 days or 3 months from now. Its better to just wait and be patient than to run to the mail box in anticipation everyday only to find nothing but nothing. Trust me, I know the feeling. I've been there before too in the past and 12 weeks later................

Like I said in another post, you can call them and they will tell you the exact day your app was processed. Then ask them how long it will take to get your FFL. They will tell you 30-90 days. Their words not mine.

Here’s your numbers to call -

244 Needy Road
NLC@atf.gov
Old 10-17-2011, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by salazar44 View Post
I know... Im just saying that I was not being so exact as to how long its going to take. Generally speaking. Im not in a rush. If i still didnt get anything in about 2 months then I will give them a call and see when they processed it. Otherwise im good with a little wait. Thanks for all that contact info.
Np, I hear ya...the wait time can be grueling.
If after 90 days and nothing shows up, (which is rare) THEN it's time to raise a stink with them.

Old 10-19-2011, 7:48 AM

Just called them at 0600 this morning. I was informed that my application was approved yesterday 18 October and mailed out today 19 October. I should have it by the weekend I guess. running time as it stands just shy of 6 weeks. I can't complain too loud as many people have waited far longer than that.

Ed
Old 10-20-2011, 8:21 AM

So my CC was charged on OCT 2nd, called today to see if it has been processed it, and got the big NO... Told 30-60 days...

Old 10-20-2011, 8:33 AM
Veteran Member

Talking Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target-Ed View Post
Just called them at 0600 this morning. I was informed that my application was approved yesterday 18 October and mailed out today 19 October. I should have it by the weekend I guess. running time as it stands just shy of 6 weeks. I can't complain too loud as many people have waited far longer than that.

Ed
Glad to see it was finally processed! Sometimes you just have to keep calling them (as the old saying goes: the squeaky wheel gets the grease).
It sucks that you had to go through that long of wait but it is what it is.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:24 AM

I found out mine was processed two weeks ago, but wasn't told it was shipped out.

Ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders
NRA Member
Old 10-23-2011, 7:52 PM

I just got mine in the mail yesterday, Saturday 22 October 2011. Original mailing date 6 September, CC processed 9 September, approved 19 October mailed 20 October Received 22 October. effective date is 1 November
I cant wait to go shopping

Ed
Old 11-05-2011, 7:37 PM

Hey All,
I just wanted to share my moment with all you Gun'r out there. Today i officially am consider a Collector of Curio & Relics...that's right got my FFL in the mail today and it actually didn't take that long. I mailed it out on October 5th...They swipe my card on the 12th and today November 5th recieved my license. So only took like a month give or take..so yea i though i would share it with you all and good luck to those that are still waiting on their, hopefully you get it. NOW time to go pull out the American Xpress..or CASH!!!
Sig Mosquito
Mosin Nagant M91/31 1943
Mosin Nagant M91/30 1936
Old 11-26-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrod View Post
9/2 card charged...
Card was charged back in 9/2/11
Finally got my license on 11/3/11
Packet came 11/7/11

Took 61 days
Old 12-02-2011, 6:18 PM

Sent in application on October 12. Card was charged on October 17th. I am still waiting. Knowing my luck, I will have to wait a full 3 or 4 months. I'm not worried because I spent all my $$$ on Christmas presents for the kids so I have no $$$ to buy rifles!
Old 12-04-2011, 6:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by natassiatracey View Post
This is kind of iffy in my opinion. Andy, based on how things went today, I think they're still unsure of themselves. The guy that did the PPT for us today wasn't sure how to do an off-roster PPT even though it's done like any other one. Then their boss or supervisor seemed skeptical about the whole single shot exemption and that they've never done one for regular pistols, just the AR pistols and AK pistols. Then again, they said if it's legal they'll do it. The guy who helped us said they will so go for it but I'd rather go through someone who was sure that they will do it.

Thanks again Andy! You've helped me complete my XDm collection... Maybe you can help me start my 1911 collection next? Haha
I think you posted this in the wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 12-04-2011, 6:27 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post
I think you posted this in the wrong thread.
it looks to be a spammer. user posted 4 replies today and all of them appears to be firearms content, but all were posted in an unrelated thread.

yup, its a spammer. That post of his is a repost from another thread, http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...20&postcount=6 . And he posted content from this thread into the other thread.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Last edited by ke6guj; 12-04-2011 at 6:31 PM..
Old 12-07-2011, 12:34 PM

Sent 12/1/11- charged my card on 12-5-11. Hope they might want to pump them out before the holidays.
Old 12-07-2011, 1:05 PM

Sent App out on friday Oct. 7th, ATF charged my card today Thursday Oct. 13th. Received my paperwork on Dec. 2.

It took me longer because I screwed up paperwork. I read 'Country' but it said 'County'. HAHA... oh well, its squared away and I have an FFL 03 now!
Old 12-07-2011, 1:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Sent App out on friday Oct. 7th, ATF charged my card today Thursday Oct. 13th. Received my paperwork on Dec. 2.

It took me longer because I screwed up paperwork. I read 'Country' but it said 'County'. HAHA... oh well, its squared away and I have an FFL 03 now!
Congrats! Yeah, you're not the only one who has to read "county" and "country" twice or more. How stupid to make two very differing geographic monikers so similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsnuffer
It's an HK, I could lube it with sand and superglue and it'd work just fine.
Old 12-08-2011, 9:12 AM

Maybe someone here can give a bit of insight. I mailed my application on October 24, 2011 and still have not received any indication of my card being charged. Is this normal? My application is on its third week now and I thought at least I would have been charged. Should I call or resubmit?
Old 12-08-2011, 9:40 AM

I know there has been some discussion previously about the process not being started when the card is charged. However, when I called before the lady told me that when they accept your payment, the process is beginning because that is when they assign you your FFL03 ID#. So its possible that they have not started your app yet. I would give them a call, they answer pretty quick.
Old 12-08-2011, 9:44 AM

Is there a specific number to call or just the 24-hour contact number? So the process should start before the charged card. That makes sense. Instead of charging first and having to deal with crediting due to a failed app, they charge afterwards. Then again, it is the gov't we're talking about here haha. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I'll give them a call and hopefully they tell me they have it.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM

GOEX_FFF provided very useful contact information a couple posts ago. here it is.

According to the lady on the phone, the process starts when you are assigned the application number. This application number is also your ID#. The application number is assigned at the time your payment is processed.

This is what I was told on the phone. Some may disagree.

244 Needy Road
NLC@atf.gov
Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
GOEX_FFF provided very useful contact information a couple posts ago. here it is.

According to the lady on the phone, the process starts when you are assigned the application number. This application number is also your ID#. The application number is assigned at the time your payment is processed.

This is what I was told on the phone. Some may disagree.

244 Needy Road
NLC@atf.gov
Well shoot, I guess the least I can do is call. If they say they have no record of my application, should I submit another one? I sent it in my mailbox w/o knowing if it ever got there or not. EDIT: Just spoke with the woman at the licensing center, and I realized that I had sent it out November 21, 2011, not October. I felt stupid and she said that she would give it another week or two (so total of about 4 weeks from sending it) before I call back. She also stated that the card should be charged by then. She was very helpful and I waited about 30 seconds on the phone before being connected. Just thought I would pass the information along.

Last edited by Trevolution; 12-08-2011 at 11:04 AM..
Old 12-11-2011, 2:48 PM

Quote:

Uh oh. I just looked at my scans, and I made the same mistake. They charged my card just the other day.
What did you do to correct the error?

Edit:
Wow, I feel like an even bigger fool now: I correctly put my county on the CLEO version, but not the ATF version. Argh! If only it had been the other way around!
Old 12-11-2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macks View Post
Uh oh. I just looked at my scans, and I made the same mistake. They charged my card just the other day.
What did you do to correct the error?

Edit:
Wow, I feel like an even bigger fool now: I correctly put my county on the CLEO version, but not the ATF version. Argh! If only it had been the other way around!
Ha... So I am not the only one. Well, they sent me a form to correct my error. I do not think there is anything you can do to correct it over the phone because they want it in writing. You will have to just sit tight until they send you the correction letter. You have 30 days to respond or the application will be considered void and your funds will be refunded.
Old 12-12-2011, 1:58 PM

Just had my CC charged, exactly 3 weeks to the day from when it went in the mail. Hopefully that's a good indicator of a fresh off the press license being sent my way soon.
Old 12-12-2011, 7:40 PM

Ok...It has been exactly two months since I sent my application to BATF. On the 17th of December, it will be exactly two months since BATF charged my CC. I am starting to get worried. I didn't want to call and bug them, but enough is enough - I cannot take it any more. The suspense is killing me. Also, I am tired of checking the mail box everyday and seeing nothing but sh#*. Although I spent all of my $$$ on Christmas presents and I don't have any extra to buy rifles, I still want my FFL in my hands.
Old 12-12-2011, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Dude View Post
Ok...It has been exactly two months since I sent my application to BATF. On the 17th of December, it will be exactly two months since BATF charged my CC. I am starting to get worried. I didn't want to call and bug them, but enough is enough - I cannot take it any more. The suspense is killing me. Also, I am tired of checking the mail box everyday and seeing nothing but sh#*. Although I spent all of my $$$ on Christmas presents and I don't have any extra to buy rifles, I still want my FFL in my hands.
I would call if I were you, that doesn't seem normal compared to what others are saying the turnaround rate is. Worst case scenario they tell you it's not processed yet and you have to wait. The lady I spoke to was extremely helpful and friendly, your tax dollars are paying for their jobs so don't feel too bad.
Old 12-20-2011, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1Dude View Post

I found out the hard way that I had forgot to fill in some important items. But ATF never informed me, I had to keep calling till they finally put me in touch with the woman in charge of my area. She then informed me that my application was incomplete and needed to be corrected. I asked for the application to be sent back (this was almost 2 months after I sent it in). I filled it out and sent it back in.

The point of the story is I don't know when they send back your application if you missed something, they had charged my CC the same day they received it and just held it till I finally got to talk to the agent in charge of my area.

Make sure you get the application number when you call, and ask to speak to the agent for your area.

Old 12-22-2011, 9:25 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

I am finally applying for my C&R lic and I don't know why it took me so long to do it. I have a couple questions though.
1. If I am an individual, what do I list as position?
2. For the chief law enforcement officer, do I just take this down to my local police station?

Thank you in advance for your help, it is much appreciated
Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
I am finally applying for my C&R lic and I don't know why it took me so long to do it. I have a couple questions though.
2. For the chief law enforcement officer, do I just take this down to my local police station?

Thank you in advance for your help, it is much appreciated
When I applied for mine I put "collector" in the position box. I thought about what I could put and I read that most put collector, so that's what I used. As for the CLEO, I mailed it to the address that was associated with the Sheriff. I've heard there's nothing you need to do once you mail it and people that have dropped it off sometimes have issues because it seems like no one at the station knows what to do with them. Also, when you send it in, I hear it floats around for a bit before disappearing into the void never to be seen or heard from again. YMMV
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevolution View Post
When I applied for mine I put "collector" in the position box. I thought about what I could put and I read that most put collector, so that's what I used. As for the CLEO, I mailed it to the address that was associated with the Sheriff. I've heard there's nothing you need to do once you mail it and people that have dropped it off sometimes have issues because it seems like no one at the station knows what to do with them. Also, when you send it in, I hear it floats around for a bit before disappearing into the void never to be seen or heard from again. YMMV
So the sheriff mailed it for you after signing it?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
So the sheriff mailed it for you after signing it?
No, you have to mail off two copies, and the one that you mail (or deliver yourself if you must) to the CLEO stays with him/her or he does what he/she wants with it. It's merely informational and requires no action on his/her part. He can disregard, shred, or w/e he wants with it, it's just to inform him of your action to file for a FFL.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
CGN Contributor

Ok, so I mail one to the sheriff and one to the ATF. Also the one mailed to the ATF doesn't need the sheriffs signature?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I mail one to the sheriff and one to the ATF. Also the one mailed to the ATF doesn't need the sheriffs signature?
Correct. When you print out the PDF you'll have two identical copies and at the bottom of the printouts you'll see it states ATF and the other copies state CLEO. Make sure you get this right because the CLEO's copy has the payment information section intentionally greyed out, so you'd be s.o.l. if the ATF can't charge your card haha. Also, be sure to fill out and send in the Certificate of Compliance with the ATF copy, it does not need to go to the CLEO.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:48 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevolution View Post
Correct. When you print out the PDF you'll have two identical copies and at the bottom of the printouts you'll see it states ATF and the other copies state CLEO. Make sure you get this right because the CLEO's copy has the payment information section intentionally greyed out, so you'd be s.o.l. if the ATF can't charge your card haha. Also, be sure to fill out and send in the Certificate of Compliance with the ATF copy, it does not need to go to the CLEO.

Awesome, thank you for the help.

Reason #173829293 why I like calguns lol.
Old 12-22-2011, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Awesome, thank you for the help.

Reason #173829293 why I like calguns lol.
No problem, I'm still awaiting mine as well, but I did quite a bit of researching what was needed and the proper way it needs to be done to avoid even a tiny snag in the line somewhere. They take long enough as it is and I'm only getting older haha. Plus the wait is bad enough knowing your only $30 and a few weeks away from walking home to some guns on your front porch.
Old 12-22-2011, 2:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
"Collector"
Quote:
Not even that.
Your legal obligation is fulfilled when you put it in the mail.

Send it to either your police chief or county sheriff, whichever is responsible for your area of your town.

It is only an "FYI" for him... he doesn't need to do anything with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.