Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 12-16-2017, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Visited 2 LGS in ABQ NM

Los Ranchos Gun had photo add in the paper which showed, FN 49's, Enfields, Garand's, and all manner of C&R's longuns so I thought a hah! I run up there to check them out.

Moderate size store, MANY many handguns new and used, I asked about the C&R long guns, sorry old photo those were all sold. VERY nice people and congratulated me on getting out of CA!

Went down to Ron Petersons on Central to look at some stuff I saw a few days ago, took some trade items with me, just incase. Of course all that I looked at was gone.

Clerk welcomed me and I again got congratulated for getting out of CA! Clerk showed me around the floor racks, I didn't mention I was there just 2 days before, I mentioned my C&R FFL. He said, "oh you like the old stuff? Well follow me", took me into the inner sanctum where they had a wall full of Winchesters, actually the employees lunchroom and they were eating so I didn't go in. Then he took me to the other "antiques" OMG must of been 100 in racks, flint locks, percussion, Trapdoors, Sniders, Beaumonts, Martini Henrys I don't know ALL that I was looking at. They even had a flint lock 50cal side by side rifle.

When I got back to the main show room I spied 4 Garand's behind the counter
and IHC that has been there for months $1400, and 3 Springfield's at $1700 ea! I wanted to check those out to see why so pricey but had racked a M97 and nicked the web of my hand. Being on heavy duty blood thinners I started bleeding like a stuck pig so I had to leave and take care of the issue. They had 5 M1A's there 2 days ago 1 left by yesterday!
They also had a glass case of C&R pistols, lugers, 1911, Astras, S&W Victory, Enfields, Webleys, Berettas
Noticed to Ruger Shop Keepers, $100 less than local Cabelas, which has few C&R's

So if heading through ABQ try Ron Petersons on Central for C&R's and Antiques ask to see the back rooms!

There are a CRAP load of Pawn shops in the area but I doubt if I'll check them out, everytime I've been in one I feel like jumping in a diptank when I leave.
Old 12-16-2017, 4:38 PM

That must be nice! I would go nuts the first few months I'm sure if I were in your shoes too.
Old 12-16-2017, 5:03 PM

HaHa!!!
Welcome!
I fled San Diego back in May...
Enjoying ABQ and new home in the East Mountains...
Old 12-16-2017, 7:15 PM

One of my favorite places to visit -
Made a few trips home with treasures in the trunk of my car.

Outlying Albuquerque stores can sometimes offer gems - most of the populace wants modern black rifles so the picking can be good.
Old 12-16-2017, 7:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
That must be nice! I would go nuts the first few months I'm sure if I were in your shoes too.
Yeah I really have to think hard way to easy to buy firearms.
Already bought 2 new handguns a 03A3 1884 Trapdoor AR10
Ammo and flare pistols! That Since we got our IDs in June.
Way to easy and transfer fees are cheap 15-25 bucks!
Old 12-17-2017, 7:31 AM
Veteran Member

Damn i need to get out of here...
Old 12-17-2017, 10:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian64 View Post
HaHa!!!
Welcome!
I fled San Diego back in May...
Enjoying ABQ and new home in the East Mountains...
We left Tahoe for ABQ in March and are in the Del Webb on the westside next to the Petroglyphs National Monument, the dry side of town, you're over on the east side where they get the rain and snow. We watched many thunderstorms from our side that were mid valley to the Sandias that were getting flashflood warnings while we had nothing but sunshine. We do get to see a lot of double rainbows though and seeing the "backside of storms is kinda interesting. My son-in-law joined that gated private club down south off I-25 off to the east south of Kirtland AFB. Shot there a year ago last Oct with one of his buddys from Sandia, another engineer he had a class 3 plus target pistols was fun but we haven't gotten out yet. I've given him and my daughter an Browning Auto 5, AR 15, M1 Carbine, 10-22, S&W M59, and Astra M1915, to wet their appetites now they are "looking" for more stuff!
Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitfighter View Post
One of my favorite places to visit -
Made a few trips home with treasures in the trunk of my car.

Outlying Albuquerque stores can sometimes offer gems - most of the populace wants modern black rifles so the picking can be good.
Any specific "out lying stores" the surrounding area towns, Rio Rancho, Corrales, Los Lunas for example, or farther out?

Will have to get your IMBD website, just found out my wife has one! Nothing on it but she was the First Aid nurse for the cast and crew when they filmed Ruckus in Woodland CA.

From a friend I'm supposed to be getting some photos of what are thought to be "machine gun tripods" she inherited from her late brother, he was a retired El Dorado County Deputy sheriff and apparently had a large collection. When he died the wife didn't want anything to do with the firearms so she had SO haul two pickup loads away for disposal, pis*** his sister off cuz she is into guns. Their dad was the first CHP assigned to Tahoe Valley back in the 1950's and later became the local Judge.
I told her if she could get the photos to me I think I know someone that can ID and value them for her.
Old 12-17-2017, 1:29 PM

ha ha ...
Those blood stains will add to thew M97's character..
Old 12-17-2017, 6:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Eastvale View Post
ha ha ...
Those blood stains will add to thew M97's character..
And it was Riot gun to boot!

Mega Blood thinners are a pain, but it's what keeps me from having a 4th heart attack due to blood clots!
So I just bleed and deal with it, I had changed vests and not taken my "bleed stop kit" with me, I'll learn!

Decided I'd better stay away from the 97's, good thing I sent my Dads to my brother in IL!!!!
Old 12-17-2017, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghauler View Post
We watched many thunderstorms from our side that were mid valley to the Sandias that were getting flashflood warnings while we had nothing but sunshine. We do get to see a lot of double rainbows though and seeing the "backside of storms is kinda interesting. My son-in-law joined that gated private club down south off I-25 off to the east south of Kirtland AFB.!
Very cool. We see a lot of double rainbows too.
Guys at work are members of that range - Zia Shooting club or something like that - gonna check it out soon...
I live about 5 minutes from Founders Ranch - nice range.
Old 12-17-2017, 6:33 PM

Been meaning to check out Petersen's...
Had my FFL-03 for almost 10 years in CA - too many experiences where people would not ship to CA so I let it lapse...
Now that I'm free, time to re-instate...
Old 12-17-2017, 6:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian64 View Post
Been meaning to check out Petersen's...
Had my FFL-03 for almost 10 years in CA - too many experiences where people would not ship to CA so I let it lapse...
Now that I'm free, time to re-instate...
Yeah check Petersons backroom too. When you walk in the back door there is a wall case on the left mostly revolvers, straight ahead of that is a glass case about 4.5 feet tall loaded with C&R handguns. Also the store is right next to a school so according to the large sign on the parking lot wall you can only transport firearms into or out of the store if your vehicle is parked in their lot, which isn't that big! They are on the south side of Central, from my direction off I 40 I take Carlisle south to Central then go east then somewhere around Washington Petersons appears! That ART crap really messed things up in that area.
That ZIA range has 2 pistol ranges, 2 rifle ranges, skeet and trap. First person on site is the rangemaster until he leaves then you hand it off to another member. They do national competitions there according to the guy that took us out last year. They only accept a limited number of new applicants per year and you have to attend a safety meeting before you can go shooting and pass an annual written test when renewing membership. The City's huge shooting park out here on the westside is only $6 per day but the rangemasters can be "jerks" according to my son-in-laws friend.

I kept my C&R FFL but have only used it 3 times here for receiving shipments, everything else has been modern through the LGS ($15 Fee I don't mention what it cost in CA) or antique.