Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 07-18-2016, 1:21 PM

Default How to test proof a cannon

Yes that's right. Found this on eBay. Video showed quite the salute. Found another video of the seller taking a sledge hammer to one on you tube without bending or breakage. Since this is for fun and I don't intend on making a bad kaboom, I am seeking some sage advise. Where are you Cannoneer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am one, we are many fewer
One nation under God
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!

When you're not sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlMMtVX8pg
Old 07-18-2016, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Oh man! you got to shoot that sucka

I can't help ya but I'd sure like to read some back ground on it

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 07-18-2016, 4:26 PM

First off, sorry this is so long, but I think it is important.

I am not Cannoneer, but I do know Cannons pretty well. Have 8 all together, and am finishing the last one I going to do soon..They are real Cannons.

I have seen these on Ebay and contacted the guy. To be Blunt this is not a Cannon in any kind of description you could even imagine. I know you do not want to hear this, but I looking out for your safety and will. That is a pipe bomb. Not a Cannon.

I warned this guy when someone gets injured, or worse, killed. He is in alot of trouble. Trouble that will change his life forever and the people maimed, killed, injured. Hope he has very deep pockets or really good business insurance.

Rules for a real Cannon are pretty simple. You need atleast 3 to 1 metal around the Breech end. Meaning, a 1 inch bore would have atleast 3 inches diameter at the business end. Then atleast two inches directly behind the Breech..This appears to have maybe a 1/2 of wall thickness. These are only the dimensions. There is alot more involved in making a safe Cannon too.

It would be nice to actually look like one also You cannot make a 30.00 Pipe Bomb and feel good about shooting it, ever.

Sorry to be have to be so Blunt. But your safety, and those around you are at stake here.

You could possibly fire this once and die. It may even shoot 20 times or more fine, with really light loads. Though I in NO WAY am suggesting you even fire it AT ALL..

Eventually it will explode like a Pipe Bomb. Because that is what it is.. If not on you..Someone else. If you want to buy or build a real Cannon. Go to the Graybeard outdoors Cannon forum ask for help. Show them this thing and you will get even harsher criticism by them, than me. I am alot nicer

That is what I would call a IED, rather than a Cannon. You can get a decent little scale barrel for a professional maker like Brooks, for under 500.00. A pretty good chunk, but it is not a Pipe Bomb either.

Real Cannon barrels take alot more effort and alot more money to be properly constructed, and safe. Safety is the utmost importance here.. Send it back to him would be my advice.

Last edited by AR22; 07-18-2016 at 5:58 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 5:25 PM

That bore to outside diameter ratio is waaay off, I think I've seen potato guns with thicker walls than that. I might stuff it with a firecracker and some newspaper... Black powder and projectile: nope!
Old 07-18-2016, 6:01 PM

Oh I forgot, if you have not heard enough already. May have been made by a Farmer, which I used to be.

I say this because the casting these are made from appears to be a part I remember from a Tractor or Farm implement.

Every year around the 4th of July, you see news reports of deaths and injuries from what the press calls "Cannons" generically. This reflects very badly on those of us that build to the safest standards possible.

It jeopardizes the hobby for those of us that take the time and expense, to do it right..

Last edited by AR22; 07-18-2016 at 6:26 PM..
Old 07-18-2016, 6:26 PM

Thank you. I have no intention now of putting any projectile in this thing. It was advertised as a salute device. I will make my way over to Graybeard outdoors cannon forum to further this new interest.

I am one, we are many fewer
One nation under God
Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.
- General George Patton Jr

In regard to Murphy's Law, my wife said she met Murphy and she doesn't like him!

When you're not sure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSlMMtVX8pg