Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 02-04-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member

Default Mosin noob got his first Mosin. PU Sniper. Tell me about it?

After all these years of never wanting a mosin. I really got the bug (I love ww2 weapons and watched too much Enemy at the gates). I bought a "PU Sniper" and got it for something like $400/450. Its been sitting in my safe for awhile now. I decided to take it out, and see what I actually have. Most of the things I've found seem to point to real, like the scope. I mean, its going to be a shooter, so its not like it really matters if it was put together. I just have no idea anything about Mosins. All the videos on how to identify this model on youtube are pretty poor.

Heres some pics. I haven't taken it out of the stock yet to look for more markings. I need to clean it up as theres some crud ect. No corrosion which is good. The bore and rifling is nice, action is pretty smooth. It appears someone just didn't properly handle it, like someone dragged it in and out of a gun safe, or transported it and scratched the surface of the stock, which can be re-finished easily. No cracks, only surface dings. There is metal in the holes where the slugs loops through (i saw something mentioned about that) Has a bunch of various cartouches, and stampings in the metal in different spots all over.

Has an import mark from Century Arms. "M91/30 Russia 7.62x54R C.A.I. ST ALB VT"

Few crappy cell pics. Bear with me, im no gun photographer, or know what to take pics of

"I work, therefore I am."

Last edited by xxINKxx; 02-04-2017 at 11:22 AM..
Old 02-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Stock needs some TLC. Maybe one day strip it and re-finish it.

Has a backwards R stamped

I need to figure out to align the scope, its a bit too much to the left compared to the irons. Although I haven't shot it yet, or cleaned it up. No corrosion which is good.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxINKxx View Post
Stock needs some TLC. Maybe one day strip it and re-finish it.
Nope, only if you want to destroy any collector value that is left.

Otherwise leave the stock alone
Old 02-04-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingsocal View Post
Nope, only if you want to destroy any collector value that is left.

Otherwise leave the stock alone
Thanks. It doesn't really bother me how it is.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It doesn't really bother me how it is.
If you need to buy a new stock. they are fairly cheap and you can store the original stock away.
Old 02-04-2017, 1:14 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
If you need to buy a new stock. they are fairly cheap and you can store the original stock away.
91/30 stocks, generally, yes. But I have never seen PU sniper replacement stocks with the relief for the scope mount.
Old 02-04-2017, 1:17 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

OP, if it is a legit PU sniper and not a stateside put-together, $450 would be about 1/2 price and a killer deal. I don't see them listed for less than $800 anymore, usually higher. I was very happy to get one from AIM a few years ago for about $550. I paid about $750 for my second one and I never regretted buying either. There is a rather arcane process for adjusting and zeroing the scope and mount, which I still haven't completely figured out.
Old 02-04-2017, 1:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
OP, if it is a legit PU sniper and not a stateside put-together, $450 would be about 1/2 price and a killer deal. I don't see them listed for less than $800 anymore, usually higher. I was very happy to get one from AIM a few years ago for about $550. I paid about $750 for my second one and I never regretted buying either. There is a rather arcane process for adjusting and zeroing the scope and mount, which I still haven't completely figured out.
Ya, I got this at an auction. (carol watsons in Irvine.) and the lot number was at the end of the day so a lot of people already left. Their was another similar one early on that was similar that went for around $650/700 if my memory recalls., the stock was a lot nicer though, and the scope was a bit more clear. Although mine is barley cloudy and I can see everything so its not a big deal. I remember the description they put made it seem worse then it is, I can see everything pretty clear all the way to the other side of town. May only just need to be cleaned. I haven't touched it since I got it. I finally bought some modern PRVI Partizan non corrosive ammo for it. So hopefully take it out to barstow and see where she sits.

My dad paid around $700 for a nice one at a gun show in Phoenix about 6 years ago.

I tried pulling up the description they had on the auction site, but it just got deleted finally out off the site since its old. What are good ways to tell who the maker is, and if the markings suggest its correct.

Last edited by xxINKxx; 02-04-2017 at 1:38 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 1:45 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ya, I got this at an auction. (carol watsons in Irvine.) and the lot number was at the end of the day so a lot of people already left. Their was another similar one early on that was similar that went for around $650/700 if my memory recalls., the stock was a lot nicer though, and the scope was a bit more clear. Although mine is barley cloudy and I can see everything so its not a big deal. I remember the description they put made it seem worse then it is, I can see everything pretty clear all the way to the other side of town. May only just need to be cleaned. I haven't touched it since I got it. I finally bought some modern PRVI Partizan non corrosive ammo for it. So hopefully take it out to barstow and see where she sits.

My dad paid around $700 for a nice one at a gun show in Phoenix about 6 years ago.

I tried pulling up the description they had on the auction site, but it just got deleted finally out off the site since its old. What are good ways to tell who the maker is, and if the markings suggest its correct.
I am not an expert on these, and don't have the trained eye to definitively ID a repro scope or mount. There is a guy over on Gunboards who offers maintenance and repairs to PU scopes, and the Mosin threads have a lot of folks who have expertise in these.
Old 02-04-2017, 5:04 PM

Was responding via phone, wanted to link this, http://7.62x54r.net/ is a great resource.
Old 02-04-2017, 5:05 PM

more specifically start here http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm
Old 02-04-2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
YouTube is our friend Bobby
Old 02-04-2017, 6:17 PM
Veteran Member

You stole it at that price. Even if it is a reproduction (which nothing is jumping out at me to say it is), that would be a pretty good price these days.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Its yours, do whatever you want with it, it will only help appreciate the value of collectors/hoarders.

They should not have a problem with that.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Michael View Post
more specifically start here http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinID.htm
Wow great link thanks. That helps a lot.

Old 02-05-2017, 7:39 AM

https://youtu.be/pH9E3bAtKvU
I didn't know so much was involved, just the scope being properly positioned on the rifle before shooting is an eye opener for me. Looks like once the scope is mounted and zeroed don't take it off
Old 02-05-2017, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Mount looks a little odd to me but it could just be the lighting. Scope is legit though.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-05-2017, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

That identifier website is telling me is an Izhevk m91/30. 1944 marked. Least rare model. Not finding much on PU snipers like who made them or what specific markings they had if mine matches anything.

Better pic of the mount. Its steel, magnet sticks to it good. Read that a lot of fakes were made of aluminum, which wasn't a material they used at that time period..

top view looking down

Last edited by xxINKxx; 02-05-2017 at 2:42 PM..
Old 02-05-2017, 4:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Could be a postwar, but still legit mount. Wartime mounts usually have pretty heavy machining marks on the inside of the mount.

I'd defer to someone more knowledgable about mounts though.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.
Old 02-05-2017, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Bit crude, and lots of tooling marks on the mount mounted to the receiver. The scope mount part seems real smooth, and the outside almost appears like someone tried to polish it or something. As it has a brushed finish and seems shiny.

Old 02-05-2017, 6:31 PM

Best thing to do would be to post your pics over on the collector forum on gunboards, those guys are always happy to help figure out what you've got

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdis...osin-Nagant-HQ
Old 02-05-2017, 9:25 PM

Is there a 2nd serial number listed on the left side of the reciever? In front of the scope mount just about the stock line? It should have the scope serial number there. I believe the mounts were marked too with the rifle and scope serial number.

This can help spot fake rifles. http://russian-mosin-nagant.com/snip...kes/index.html
Old 02-05-2017, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

Base looks like cast machined unit, possible repro? Or as the collectors say "A Fake". The mounts finish almost looks parked.

Early repro were aluminum and quickly broke from recoil.

Get it sighted in and if you need some tips on improving trigger pull, soothing out bolt opening and cooking I can help you out.
Old 02-06-2017, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

The scope mount should have Ser # stampings , line outs or electro penciling on it. The base mount looks original. Not all PUs had electro penciling on mount after refurbing. My 1944 Tula had a line out over the old Ser # and a new stamped scope Ser # on it. No electro penciling.
Old 02-06-2017, 8:30 AM
Veteran Member

From previous discussions, the early Century imports (import stamp on the bottom of the barrel) were a mix of legit snipers, and ex snipers restored with original bases and mounts. You should post your photos on Gunboards, either in the collectors forum linked earlier, or the sniper forum.

Late Century imports, with the dot-matrix looking import stamp on the receiver were reproductions, with repro scopes and mounts.
Old 02-06-2017, 9:08 AM

Looks like typical Izhevsk machining, Slam it and bam it, get it out on the front lines.... Tula's have much better machining, they were the artisans of Russian gun making, it's most likely a Reproduction, It's funny how much the price of a Mosin Nagant has gone up, I bought 3 at big 5 back in the late 90's for $45.00 each, not the PU snipers just the regular Izhevsk M91/30, great rifle at a cheap price......then......
Old 02-09-2017, 7:21 AM

Quote:
91/30 stocks, generally, yes. But I have never seen PU sniper replacement stocks with the relief for the scope mount.
chance of slot for mount lining up with used PU stock is hit and miss. since there are 3 different bolt patterns you may not get a perfect match in used PU stock. if you live near san diego i would be glad to help/show you how to fit non PU stock to your setup. i live in kearney mesa area.