Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-18-2009, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Default LAME--Spike's .22LR firing pin broke after only a few hundred rounds

My newest acquisition, a Spike's .22LR upper, just died after about 300rnds. The firing pin split inside of the bolt and fell out the back of the BCG.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why was it so weak? I was surprised to find that it's the relatively weak alloy that the rest of the kit is made of, instead of a hardened steel.

I'm sure Spike's will replace it under warranty, but it would sure be annoying for me to go through one or two firing pins every time I go to the range--it's ridiculously easy to burn through .22LR in a single range trip.
Old 04-18-2009, 9:39 PM

i have fired 1000's of rounds all different velocities and haven't had any broken firing pins. Not sure why yours broke so quickly maybe you should ask the spike's guys what can cause that.
Old 04-18-2009, 9:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
My newest acquisition, a Spike's .22LR upper, just died after about 300rnds. The firing pin split inside of the bolt and fell out the back of the BCG.

Has this happened to anyone else? Why was it so weak? I was surprised to find that it's the relatively weak alloy that the rest of the kit is made of, instead of a hardened steel.

I'm sure Spike's will replace it under warranty, but it would sure be annoying for me to go through one or two firing pins every time I go to the range--it's ridiculously easy to burn through .22LR in a single range trip.
Check on BlackDogMachine's website, they got upgraded parts. I think that is a known weak link in the design....

Did you "dry fire"?

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 04-18-2009, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
Check on BlackDogMachine's website, they got upgraded parts. I think that is a known weak link in the design....

Did you "dry fire"?
Dang known weak link... Just checked BDM and their heat-treated firing pin says "will not work with Spike's Tactical conversion kit." Grea-ate!

Nope, didn't dry fire. Just went to the Appleseed event in Corona and put hundreds of rounds downrange in a fairly nonstop manner. Maybe I just got a lemon firing pin...
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

call spikes I bet they can get you a new one easy... in life things break... its not if it is WHEN... no matter what you have...
Old 04-19-2009, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

It may just be that billet that they turn them out of had a weak point in it. No worries, Spikes will take care of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unnamed Liberal
"Gator Monroe posts are like a good fart, sometimes they make you laugh but they always stink".
Old 04-19-2009, 7:53 AM

Over 4 thousand rounds with original firing pin, I suggest buying the firing pin kit and recoil spring kit as spares, but when one breaks im sure spikes will send replacement since the bolt has a lifetime warranty, that way you spend $60 on repair parts and can have it running instantly, then contact them about the broken part and they probably will send a new part for free. I also bought alot of e clips and plastic washers from this one site here in ca. You put the plastic washer against the e clip so the recoil of the bolt wont break the clip, that is another known weak area ( the e clip ). Spikes may be working on a new part but for now this is what some people are doing.

Parts http:
//www.mcmaster.com/#90295a070/=1iii0p

http:
//www.mcmaster.com/#98408a117/=1iii0w

Shipping doesnt show up in the checkout but was under $5 to san diego, came in a couple days.

If anyone wants a few of these parts I can mail some out, since I have a boat load of them.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

that washer is a killer idea btw....
Old 04-19-2009, 1:43 PM

You can also use tiny o rings, but they only last about 1 session. Havent tried the nylon washer yet, but I have it installed, it also may change the tuning, but after a few hits it will flatten out a little.
Old 04-19-2009, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_lover View Post
If anyone wants a few of these parts I can mail some out, since I have a boat load of them.
I just got the conversion kit and haven't gotten to take it out yet. I also live in SD. Could you mail me a few spares?
Thanks.

PS what is the difference between the bright spring and the dark spring they ship with the kit?

Old 04-19-2009, 6:43 PM

When I got mine I wasnt lucky enough to get an extra spring, they only send them out if they have extra, but i did order replacement springs and they arent the same color and lengths, so I dont think it means anything.
Old 04-19-2009, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, guys, for the help, especially the idea about the nylon washers. I'll definitely get that--I'll PM you my mailing address.

Oh, if it helps to know, when I opened up my AR, there was a lot of little silver-colored flakes in the receiver. I didn't figure out where these came from until I saw the firing pin and the rear face of the bolt carrier where the hammer strikes--both had been worn through.

Also, I had a lot of failure to feed problems resulting in the hammer striking the bottom edge of the bolt carrier and then driving the bolt home but not firing, so that may have resulted in the early failure of the firing pin.

Oh well, I'll learn to carry spare parts.

Thanks!

Last edited by dchang0; 04-19-2009 at 7:28 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 AM

The 22lr doesent like notched 2 stage hammers like the one in some 2 stage triggers. If you are using one of those triggers you should replace it.
Old 04-20-2009, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I read that warning that came with the upper and am not using a notched hammer. It's a regular MILSPEC single stage. I *didn't* replace the hammer spring with the weaker one, because I switch uppers and lowers.
Old 04-23-2009, 2:47 PM

Well I got around to trying out the new e cilp I ordered, with the plastic washer. No problems, I fired around 300 rounds and had the normal 4 stovepipes. The washer was barely crushed so should last maybe 1000 rounds before needing to be replaced.

To those of you I sent the parts to let me know if they come and also if you get charged postage. I happened to mail one yesterday with another package at the post opffice and they felt it up and asked what was in there, I told them and they wanted more postage for special handling. I said ive mailed out 5 of them with no returns yet, and they said it could tear up there machines I usually put them out in my mail box.
So who knows I wrapped the parts in tape so there flat but im not sure if they will make it through there machines in one piece or there just trying to get more money from me. So there could be a chance of extra postage due but I doubt it, just let me know if they come in and if the envelope survived.
Old 04-23-2009, 3:30 PM

I got the clip and the plastic washers in the mail a few days ago. (thanks again)
Took mine out today to Ocotillo Wells for the first run.
The washer is already pretty crushed after about only about 200 rounds. I didn't do anything with the E clip as i didn't know what or how to do it.

I ran almost flawlessly on Winchester 333 bulk packs and had quite a few FTE, FTF, and Stovepipes with the Federal Red Box bulk packs. I even ran one magazine with the Remington Golden bullets and what a dissaster that was. I had two seperate stovepipes that caused it to fire out of battery. Thank God it's only a .22.
Also when i switched back to .223 to blow the crud outta the gas tube and brake some junk shot out and went 8 feet back and behind me and got my friends forehead and leg. It was just a minor burn (not even red after an hour) but the way he reacted i might as well have just shot him in the leg.

Old 04-23-2009, 3:36 PM

I have a good trick to clean out the gas tube, I have a air nozzle with a 6 inch long metal tip that fits perfectly in the barrel, I squirt some gun scrubber in the gas tub and let it drain towards the barrel, then with a free hand I plug up the barrel at the chamber side and blow the air out the gas tube, making it free from buildup as I can see the liquid flowing out into my upper chamber area.
Usually around 1000 rounds the tube will get clogged up enough it wont cycle 223 for about 5 rounds, but it will clean itself out, I dont mind spending a few minutes to do it at home and save money on 223 ammo, that and I use a regular button for the mag release so I dont have to change it out to shoot 223.
Old 04-23-2009, 3:46 PM

That sounds good to clean it out. Mine's a monsterman grip so it only take a minute to thow the regular grip on or off.
I didn't trim the spring at all. It's still odd to me that the Federal had as many problems as it did since everyone raves about it.

Old 04-23-2009, 3:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
When I got mine I wasnt lucky enough to get an extra spring, they only send them out if they have extra, but i did order replacement springs and they arent the same color and lengths, so I dont think it means anything.
If you contact them saying that you didn't receive that spring, they will mail one out for you.

The replacement spring is for the purpose if you want to "tune" your spring.

Old 04-23-2009, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I use a regular button for the mag release so I dont have to change it out to shoot 223.
Raddlock seems to be the best.... if you want to switch between locked and detachable mag...

Old 04-23-2009, 4:01 PM

Wish I knew about calling them for the extra spring, mine didnt come with one so I ordered the extra spring kit from them. I use american eagle, and federal value pack blue box, they are exactly the same ammo just different fps, both made by federal. My spring is 3 coils smaller then they recommend and I have a lighter hammer spring that came with my recoil spring kit. Havent used my new springs yet since I have such good luck now with my setup. Golden bullets dont even fit in the chamber, and some cci also dont fit. That may be causing alot of problems if the brass is a hair to big and the chamber doesnt close tight every shot.
Old 04-23-2009, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Raddlock seems to be the best.... if you want to switch between locked and detachable mag...
Tried the raddlock but seemed to have to push hard to eject the mag, basically im only going to shoot 22lr through this setup since its so much cheaper, and I really like the feel of the regular button, once you go regular mag button you dont go back. BTW I do use the prince 50 mag button with the set screw hole incase I want to top load.

Last edited by Chunky_lover; 04-23-2009 at 4:07 PM..
Old 04-23-2009, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Or the new red screw in button they sell to convert to bullet button to detachable in like 10 seconds.

Old 04-23-2009, 4:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Lose View Post
Or the new red screw in button they sell to convert to bullet button to detachable in like 10 seconds.
The one that is INSIDE the BB feels too small..

The external one that you put on... you can easily loose that piece..

Old 04-23-2009, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Mike broke somewhere around 20K+ rounds. I tried the BDM titanium firing pin and got mediocre reliability (light strikes). Called up Angela and they sent me a new pin.

Still tickin'. They'll take care of you.
Old 04-23-2009, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Mike broke somewhere around 20K+ rounds. I tried the BDM titanium firing pin and got mediocre reliability (light strikes). Called up Angela and they sent me a new pin.

Still tickin'. They'll take care of you.
20,000 rounds seems quite impressive for a firing pin, did you ever clean that bolt or is it one of the black types
Old 04-23-2009, 7:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
20,000 rounds seems quite impressive for a firing pin, did you ever clean that bolt or is it one of the black types
It was the older pre-nickel bolts. I think a lot of it contributed to firing on an empty chamber. I now use the BDM mags with the bolt hold-open followers.
Old 04-23-2009, 7:48 PM

This is the very reason why I would not want to purchase a GSG or any of those more plastic style tacticool 22's. If the parts can break on something that is high quality what in the world will happen with those things. And when it does happen can you call the company 20,000 rounds later and expect to have your part replaced?

BTW...I too have an AR raddlock and I am not very impressed with it. I was using it for my Spikes upper and that thing sucks once in the unscrewed position. It feels flimsy. I am going to put on the BB with the little red attachment and try that. Of course I could always just install my dedicated Spikes Multi cal lower with a regular magazine release since its rimfire.

If you run a business or live in the rural San Joaquin Valley and do not have access to DSL or Comcast we can get you a highspeed Microwave Broadband connection. We cover Modesto down to Bakersfield and offer symmetrical connections up to 100Mbps. www.unwiredbb.com
Old 04-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Tried the raddlock but seemed to have to push hard to eject the mag
Really? Wow, mine is so easy to push that I have accidentally dropped the mag twice now, when I wasn't careful with my trigger finger when keeping it off the trigger.

Radd's good about fixing you up, so if it's a problem still, send it back to him for a replacement, or you could trade with pbrand, since he wants one that's a tighter fit.

Last edited by dchang0; 04-23-2009 at 10:17 PM..
Old 04-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
It was the older pre-nickel bolts. I think a lot of it contributed to firing on an empty chamber. I now use the BDM mags with the bolt hold-open followers.
I wonder if the nickel's all that good because of all the nickel flakes I found in my lower. What's the primary alloy of the Spike's conversion kit? It doesn't seem to be steel--too light. Aluminum would probably be too soft. They should've made it of stainless steel with a hardened steel pin and polished it super smooth...
Old 04-24-2009, 5:41 AM

My nickel doesnt chip off, ive even filed it where the hammer rubs and it still looked plated. My lower to me looks like either sand particles or bits of brass from the shells.
Old 04-24-2009, 6:37 AM

Quote:
My nickel doesnt chip off, ive even filed it where the hammer rubs and it still looked plated. My lower to me looks like either sand particles or bits of brass from the shells.
+1 on that. I see pieces of either the brass from the shells or the copper platting from the bullet.

Old 04-24-2009, 7:08 AM

thats what it is the copper plating, probably gets a little shaved off sliding into the chamber
Old 04-24-2009, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Yeesh, no wonder my firing pin broke early. If the nickel was flaking off and yours was tough enough to withstand filing...

Yeah, you might need to polish your feedramp a bit to stop the copper shaving; that definitely shouldn't be happening.

I think I'm going to buy a CMMG kit for my regular AR as a backup--I plan to qualify rifleman with the Spike's, but if it gives me problems like it did, I'll be blocked yet again by equipment failure. And trying to qualify with 5.56 is too pricey and somewhat more difficult because of the recoil.

Last edited by dchang0; 04-24-2009 at 9:34 AM..
Old 04-24-2009, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang0 View Post
Yeesh, no wonder my firing pin broke early. If the nickel was flaking off and yours was tough enough to withstand filing...

Yeah, you might need to polish your feedramp a bit to stop the copper shaving; that definitely shouldn't be happening.

I think I'm going to buy a CMMG kit for my regular AR as a backup--I plan to qualify rifleman with the Spike's, but if it gives me problems like it did, I'll be blocked yet again by equipment failure. And trying to qualify with 5.56 is too pricey and somewhat more difficult because of the recoil.
Yeah I tinkered around with polishing the feed ramp and slightly filing it, also the area where it drags over my hammer ive filed it smooth and the rails. Not sure how often to do it but ive done it twice in the 4000+ rounds ive put through it. Been meaning to work on the chamber hole a little since some brands are a hair bigger. I figured I would let it break in a little more before tweaking it.
Old 05-12-2009, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

Update: Spikes replaced the pin for free under warranty, and with the parts Chunk_Lover sent over, it's better that it was before. I cut my charging handle's latch spring to improve the bolt-close on initial charge, cut off 1/4" for the nylon washer, and am no longer having any trouble.

I'll be testing various brands of ammo and tuning it further till it runs like a champ.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:52 PM

Just had the same issue today. Snapped the pin...It was a major bummer. The 22 is everyones favorite! It happened about 10 minutes into the shoot. ugh. Looks like I'll be calling spikes. Chunky, do you have any nylon washer's left?
I want to ask about the spare spring too, any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck View Post
You still can't wear it in the parade.

Lord, protect me from my friends. I can handle my enemies.
Old 07-12-2009, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Bones View Post
Just had the same issue today. Snapped the pin...It was a major bummer. The 22 is everyones favorite! It happened about 10 minutes into the shoot. ugh. Looks like I'll be calling spikes. Chunky, do you have any nylon washer's left?
I want to ask about the spare spring too, any advice?

There is a guy selling a recoil rod with machined in e clip, so its all solid. Under $14.
Spikes tactical says they are coming out with same product soon too, not sure if they are related. Since the guy doesnt take paypal im hesitant on sending in a MO, might wait to see how much spikes part will be. Here is the e mail address guiderodsales@gmail.com

I do have nylon washers left.
Old 07-12-2009, 7:26 AM

Ok...I didn't think I saw an eclip on your setup. It looked like just the washer. Did you have an e clip and the washer? The washer is the "buffer" right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huck View Post
You still can't wear it in the parade.

Lord, protect me from my friends. I can handle my enemies.
Old 07-12-2009, 9:14 AM

Is Spikes warranty transferable?

I purchased an upper from a fellow Calgunner, and am curious if they will replace a firing pin when I finally break one.