Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:45 PM

Default Advice on obtaining 07FFL?

I want to get my 07FFL and have received the forms from the ATF. It looks like getting the federal license is pretty easy. I am guessing you need that first before dealing with California.

Any advice on how to deal with our state? Do I just call the DOJ and tell them I want to do gunsmithing work? What exactly is the process?

Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 1:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Getting the FFL is the easy part. Getting the business license can be more challenging depending on your city and county. You also need yout local police authority to sign off or in my case, write a check for $395 for a firearms sellers permit. The you also need your CA DOJ permit also (and a COE of course) and seller permit.

I called and used RK Enterprises in Santa Barbara to assist in navigating thru the process and has the forms and signage needed. Because all he does is sell FFL packages, he (bob) generally knows the ins and outs of alot of City's, County's. I dont have a number but you can google it. The FFL is easy, its everything else that takes the time and effort.

Corona, Ca
NRA Life Member
FFL

Gun Control is like treating the symptom, not the disease. Gun laws only restrict people who obey the law.

Last edited by remington; 04-14-2009 at 1:37 PM..
Old 04-17-2009, 6:11 PM

RK Enterprises
2616 Las Positas Rd.
Santa Barbara, Ca 93105
805-687-1416
805-687-4565 fax
Old 04-18-2009, 5:08 AM
Veteran Member

As a manufacturer you also have to register with the US State Dept under the ITAR rules and pay a yearly registration fee of $2,250 whether you export or not. All manufacturers have to register.
Old 07-24-2009, 6:25 AM

Default 07 FFL ITAR registration

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
As a manufacturer you also have to register with the US State Dept under the ITAR rules and pay a yearly registration fee of $2,250 whether you export or not. All manufacturers have to register.
I received my 07 FFL about two months ago. I have not heard anything about ITAR registration at all. I will see if I can dig up the relevant portion of the ITAR rules and find anything about it.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:25 PM

ITAR 122.1(a) "Any person...manufacturing...defense articles...is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls."

ITAR 121.1 (c) Cat 1 (a) [U.S. Munitions List includes] ...non-automatic weapons...to caliber 50..."

ITAR 120.3 [Includes weapons] Specifically designed...for military applications...and do not have predominant civil applications."

It appears that an 07 FFL could be required to register with DDTC at $2250 per year. The determination is made by the DDTC after you file a Commodities Jurisdiction request. A CJ request can be made before you register and pay the money. If DDTC declines jurisdiction then you fall under the Commerce Department, which I have not checked out yet.

In other words, if you are modifying 22's for long distance squirrel hunting, they will probably not require you to register. If you are putting out 50 cal sniper rifles, they will probably want you to.
Old 07-24-2009, 5:17 PM
Matt@EntrepriseArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslugg View Post
ITAR 122.1(a) "Any person...manufacturing...defense articles...is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls."

ITAR 121.1 (c) Cat 1 (a) [U.S. Munitions List includes] ...non-automatic weapons...to caliber 50..."

ITAR 120.3 [Includes weapons] Specifically designed...for military applications...and do not have predominant civil applications."

It appears that an 07 FFL could be required to register with DDTC at $2250 per year. The determination is made by the DDTC after you file a Commodities Jurisdiction request. A CJ request can be made before you register and pay the money. If DDTC declines jurisdiction then you fall under the Commerce Department, which I have not checked out yet.

In other words, if you are modifying 22's for long distance squirrel hunting, they will probably not require you to register. If you are putting out 50 cal sniper rifles, they will probably want you to.
The bottom line is you will pay a lot of fees to a lot of agencies in order to get your license. For a couple thousand more bucks, you may as well get your CA hi-cap mag permit and Assault Weapons License.
Old 07-24-2009, 5:31 PM
Banned

Adam should move to California (He could make a bundle)
Old 07-24-2009, 7:54 PM
short bus driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by billslugg View Post
The US State department is taking the position that all 07-FFLs have to register/comply with ITAR.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-25-2009, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
The US State department is taking the position that all 07-FFLs have to register/comply with ITAR.
Then we will have an interesting discussion. I plan to submit a Commodities Jurisdiction request to State for an off the shelf 22, modified with a scope for squirrel hunting.

If it is determined that it "has significant military or intelligence applications such that it is necessary to control its export as a defense article", making me liable for the $2,250 registration fee, then I will be "submitting a written request for reconsideration to the Managing Director of the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls". If unsuccessful there, I will appeal to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Defense Trade Controls and then to the Assistant Secretary for Political-Military Affairs, then to Hillary Clinton and finally to President Obama.

Keeping my local paper apprised of my pathetic attempt to make a few additional bucks at my knife sharpening shop by fitting scopes to 22's should make for good reading.