Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-12-2009, 10:01 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Cherry Creek Cleanup - Ventura Area - April 10, 2010, 9am

Please see this Roll Call thread for more info...

Greetings to all.

I have been an active shooter for about a year with my own firearms, and off and on throughout my life. I am quickly growing on the hobby or vice versa.

That said, I regularly frequent Cherry Creek in the Ventura County area. On my last trip, I was appalled at the sudden appearance of very large trash items. I believe one such item was a 50" or so projection TV. Guess someone upgraded to plasma.

At any rate, the piles of shotgun shells and random target detritus has grown rapidly since my last visit. I would like to get things clean there, the rangers really hate seeing the range in this kind of shape and are more likely to shut it down early when fire season comes around.

If anyone is interested in bringing a large vehicle of any sort and some shovels / rakes, I would be glad to turn a weekend day into a shoot and clean day. I'm not there with reloading yet, so i'll help cherry pick good brass and anyone willing to help is welcome to it. We would also likely need a pickaxe or other tool to break up larger trash, trashbags, THICK gloves, etc.

Let's clean it up and keep it FREE and OPEN.

Thanks!

Last edited by Pyrodyne; 03-30-2010 at 7:01 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 7:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrodyne View Post
Greetings to all.

I have been an active shooter for about a year with my own firearms, and off and on throughout my life. I am quickly growing on the hobby or vice versa.

That said, I regularly frequent Cherry Creek in the Ventura County area. On my last trip, I was appalled at the sudden appearance of very large trash items. I believe one such item was a 50" or so projection TV. Guess someone upgraded to plasma.

At any rate, the piles of shotgun shells and random target detritus has grown rapidly since my last visit. I would like to get things clean there, the rangers really hate seeing the range in this kind of shape and are more likely to shut it down early when fire season comes around.

If anyone is interested in bringing a large vehicle of any sort and some shovels / rakes, I would be glad to turn a weekend day into a shoot and clean day. I'm not there with reloading yet, so i'll help cherry pick good brass and anyone willing to help is welcome to it. We would also likely need a pickaxe or other tool to break up larger trash, trashbags, THICK gloves, etc.

Let's clean it up and keep it FREE and OPEN.

Thanks!
Great idea, I was in on the Panoche Hills clean up and Turby did an excellent job of organizing. Might want to PM him and get some insight to how he went about everything. We had a dozen guys show up for ours. I will without a doubt do it again. Wish you luck with your clean up.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 04-13-2009, 9:35 AM
Super Moderator

I'll go ahead and post the strategy here.

As you've done, post a "feeler note" to see how many people are interested. I was lucky, for Panoche, enough people use the land and are on Calguns. I had enough volunteer help through Calguns RSVP's alone, and people bringing non-Calguns friends. Very good turnout.

Plan about a month in advance. This gives people time to clear calendars and get permission from wives.

In my case, we informed the BLM rangers of our activity. I had asked if they wanted to send someone down to join us, but just last week I told them that we'd take care of it ourselves, and we only needed their help to truck the stuff out. They agreed. Good for us - although we could dump the stuff at a trash dump or elsewhere legally, getting their help gives them some awareness that we are out there doing volunteer work and helping to keep the place clean.

Having one organizer works well. This person helps to coordinate the timing, tools, trash bags, direct the work, etc. This doesn't mean that you have to bring all the supplies - many of the Calgunners who showed up at Panoche brought their own equipment - and a big thanks to everyone who did, it really helped out. I didn't have room in my car to bring shovels or rakes, but other people brought them and it really helped out.

If you plan to make it a clean and shoot, clean first; get the big stuff piled up; do your shooting, then clean again after yourselves. I'm sure you figured this strategy out on your own.

Check the weather as you get closer to your meet date, to make sure the trip won't be ruined by downpours or snow (if applicable). If all still looks good, start confirming the meeting day and time and details about a week before the activity. This will remind people of the trip and make sure that everyone can still attend.

IF you don't have enough Calguns participation, I'm not sure I can help with advice. The only things I can think of include getting family, friends, and friends of friends to go. If you know local shooters go there, posting a notice at a local gun shop or local range (in either case, with permission) may help. The only problem I see there, you could attract all kinds of people who may have varying degrees of gun safety practices.

On the day of, I made up name tags for everyone and had people wear them during the cleanup. I don't know if this was super useful, but it helps and hopefully facilitates socializing amongst the volunteers. You might also want to provide sunscreen, and if you want, bring plenty of water to share - you can get dehydrated pretty quickly if the weather is warm.

Good luck, and let us know how your progress goes!

Turby
Old 04-13-2009, 8:31 PM

Welcome Pyrodyne,
You beat me to this. I had never been to Cherry Creek until I went twice last week. Theres a fair amount of crap there. I will have a cargo van rented on the weekend of May 15th (for other things) and was planning to spend part of Sunday May 17th loading it up with trash from Cherry Creek. I can dispose of about a half of a dumpster worth of trash. I would be interested in going any time on any weekend to help out, and have legit access to a dumpster in Ventura we can fill halfway any time someone wants to fill some bags and transport them. I'll watch this thread and see if anything develops before May 17th, anyone who can help anytime, post here.
ETA: I will be trying to contact rangers to see if they can unlock the gate and if they will take additional trash.

Last edited by Some Guy; 04-13-2009 at 8:33 PM..
Old 04-13-2009, 8:58 PM

Turbinator (or any mod or the OP), is there any way you would add "Ventura Area" to this thread title many local people may not know where this is.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Consider it DONE!!

Turby
Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 PM

I'd help but have never been to Cherry Creek. Where is it? Up the 33 from Ojai?
Old 04-15-2009, 5:48 PM
C3 Contributor

Cherry creek is directly on the 33, not too far up in the hills. If you drive past the rose valley "T", it is about 11 miles or so further on the left, with a gate closing off a steep dirt path across the creek (water may or may not be present). IIRC, there are five areas your can setup at.
Google Earth has it at lat 34.606190 and long -119.357101, or you can just search for it with "cherry creek near ojai" and it will have some results.

Typically I see thousands of shotgun shells, but on occasion people leave some pretty large hunks of trash there.

I only have small cars, so I can only take so much when I visit.

Last edited by Pyrodyne; 04-15-2009 at 6:05 PM..
Old 04-23-2009, 7:42 PM

I'm really swamped in May but if it's on a day that I'm available I'd be happy to come along and help. I've got a 4runner which could haul a fair amount of junk and several dumpsters I have access to.
Old 04-25-2009, 8:32 PM

I'm up to help out I will keep an eye on this thread and see what happens. I only have an suv but can fit 5 bags or so of trash. Over the years I have seen the Rangers, Boy scouts and private clean ups go on, then a bunch of slobs go up and ruin it with all there trash.
Old 04-29-2009, 7:30 PM

I've been going up to Cherry Creek since the early 1990's, and I have done a fair amount of cleanup over the years. You can count me in, schedule permitting. I do a lot of business travel, but I try to keep the weekends free. I have three kids who always shoot with me, and they can count the time as Community Service hours for their school. If they do good work for you, would you be willing to sign off on a time sheet for them?

Anyway, I have a Sport Trac, and it should be able to handle 5-10 bags, maybe I can get a cargo net and strap some more on....

Please keep this thread updated as you make progress.
Old 05-01-2009, 8:54 AM

If this happens, I would like to try to make it. I have a full size Chevy so I would have plenty of room. Just need a dumpster.
Old 05-01-2009, 9:45 PM

I'm in Kern County but I'm interested in going as well.I've cleaned up the range at Camp Hamilton before.(for those in Bakersfield area)I have a 1/2 ton pick up for hauling.
I'll keep an eye on this thread for future reference
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 AM

I'll be there May 17th at 9:30 AM . I will be able to transport/dispose of about 40 bags. I'm not sure how many rakes and shovels I will be able to scrounge up, but it should be a few. I will bring Heavy Duty bags and some cold drinking water. I just tried to call the Ojai ranger office (Ive been slacking on this) to see if they will open the gate or accept trash, but they are closed weekends so I will call them monday. I will post here what they have to say monday but regardless I will be there on the 17th. Feel free to PM me, or feel free to drop by on the 17th. If you just drop by my name is Ben and I will be the guy with bags and rakes and such.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?name=Ch...SS&id=13920053

ETA: confirm here if you know you can make it and what you can bring

Confirmed
Some Guy+1
Pyrodyne

Last edited by Some Guy; 05-12-2009 at 7:51 PM..
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellson View Post
I have three kids who always shoot with me, and they can count the time as Community Service hours for their school. If they do good work for you, would you be willing to sign off on a time sheet for them?
Sure, that would be great.
Old 05-03-2009, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Be sure to take pics of the clean up and post them

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 05-05-2009, 4:38 PM

I called Ojai ranger office yesterday to find out about the gate and was referred to a guy in charge of recreation, I left him a message. I called back today and he's out for the rest of the week. I will update when I get a hold of him.
Old 05-06-2009, 7:03 PM

KEEPING AN EYE ON THE POST.IF I AM AVAILABLE I WILL BE THERE TOO!
MAYBE IN THE NEAR FUTURE WE COULD CORDINATE A CLEAN-UP AT THE EAST CAMINO "GLASS FACTORY" PUBLIC RANGE HERE IN SANTA BARBARA.WE WERE UP THERE TWO WEEKS AGO AND THE AWEFULL MESS MADE BY THE TELEVISION/BEER KEG ASSASSINS WAS JUST RIDICULOUS.KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
Old 05-08-2009, 6:43 PM

If I didnt miss out you can count me in to help. I dont know where the East Camino range is but I recently started working in Santa Barbara and would love to shoot and participate in a range clean up there.
Old 05-12-2009, 9:36 AM

Thumbs up

Good news, I will have a gate key. The person I spoke to asked that everyone involved wear good gloves and be safe, and thanked me for my interest in keeping the range clean. If you plan to attend or have any questions let me know.

Sunday
May 17th
9:30 AM
Old 05-12-2009, 6:06 PM
C3 Contributor

I'm glad to hear the interest has gathered. Count me in for May 17th.
Could we get a head count? I'll be happy to provide all volunteers with a free set of leather gloves. Include hand size if you want a pair.
Old 05-12-2009, 7:55 PM

Sweet, I was honestly wondering if would just be my buddy and me, thanks Pyrodyne, anyone else?

Confirmed:
Some Guy +1
Pyrodyne
Old 05-12-2009, 8:45 PM

I really would like to come out but unfortunately I'm stuck working this weekend and don't think I'd be able to make it. If however anyone is coming back to the Thousand Oaks area and needs a dumpster PM me.
Old 05-14-2009, 1:18 PM

I am also not available untill the 1st couple of weeks in June. I have a 3/4 ton p/u and can possible get a 16ft trailer. I havent shot there in over 2 years, but it was a mess then.
Old 05-16-2009, 6:06 PM
C3 Contributor

Let's setup a time and place to meet. I have a birthday party to attend, flexible time but around noonish, so early or late will do for me.
Old 05-17-2009, 6:39 PM

Big thanks to Pyrodyne for helping out today, I'll post pics and a short write up tomorrow.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM

I just now found this thread... Seem to be about a week late but oh well. I will be down to help next time though, so count me in! I will keep looking at this thread for another date or meet times as well.

Please PM me with any more information about the cleanup days and/or shooting meets.
Old 05-25-2009, 8:10 AM

Well May 17th was a good cleanup for just having 3 guys. We ended up taking out 14 large bags of trash and a lot of crap that wouldnt fit in bags, highlights were a tailgate, the pieces of the big screen, a PC, worlds heaviest microwave, and a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I didnt get a lot of before and after pics because the screen on my camera wasnt showing much detail with the trash, Pyrodyne has more pics maybe he will post them.
There is still so much crap up there another cleanup is definitely needed. If someone with a truck/trailer wants to set a date count me in.
By the way there was a pallet of free 45 ammo up there but since no one who shoots that showed up we just raked it up and trashed it. (you should have showed up)
ETA thanks for the brick Pyrodyne

Last edited by Some Guy; 05-25-2009 at 8:17 AM..
Old 05-25-2009, 8:39 AM

Sorry I missed it, I really wanted to help. Please put me on the list for the next one. If PM's are doable I would appreciate it
Old 05-26-2009, 5:08 PM

Wish I could have made it out, I haven't been out there in a long while, next time I go I'll defiantly be hitching up the trailer to haul some junk out
Old 05-27-2009, 8:49 AM

Lets set a date than, I could more than likely bring a truck and some trash bags.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM

Where in Ventura is this range? I would help clean up since I have no job right now only thing that could stop me is a job but hell I can do it next week if people want to help. I dont hav a truck or SUV but am welling to help out.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 PM

Is the gate open for drive in? I've been down and out with a back injury and haven't been there since jan+/-? When I've driven in, I usually haul what I can in my pk.
Old 06-02-2009, 4:33 PM

I think that they lock the gate and when they did the last cleanup they got the key from the ranger. But yeah, I think that they lock the gate now.
Old 06-03-2009, 8:32 PM

Gonna go up on Sunday. So is the gate locked or not? It doesnt seem like it should be.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Gate was locked every time Ive been there. I got the key from the Ojai ranger station, they asked for a $50 deposit, they are only open during the week.
Old 06-05-2009, 7:30 AM

Interesting. I was under the impression that it was an open area to shoot and that is why there was so much crap up there. So where is the Ojai ranger station?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Across the street from Soule Park.
ETA: Are you going to take some trash out?
Old 06-05-2009, 5:06 PM

Well, I cant get there during the week to get the key so I might not go

If I dont have a key, can I still get back there by hiking in and how long of a walk is it? Do I need to have an adventure pass to park on the side of the road if I do hike in?
Old 06-05-2009, 6:48 PM

Ive heard varying opinions on the adventure pass, Ive never seen a ranger there to ask, and didnt ask when I did the cleanup because I wasnt parked on the road. Theres a Ranger station at Wheeler Gorge(?) they may be able to help you on the weekend, try calling them. The walk isnt hiking distance but I wouldn't want to carry a whole lot of heavy items (trash bags) in or out. I would guess the distance to the first shooting areas is maybe 150-250 yards