Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 PM

Default Lake Pillsbury Cleanup

Ive been shooting at pillsbury for years and it just has turned into a dumping ground. Im just testing the water to see how many of you guys are up this way and would be interested. Its about 45 mins NE of ukiah.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Calguns Addict

I in Auburn so I am thinking I am 2+ hrs away... You know what I have a Bobcat if we could have a big dumpster at any of the reasonable close clean ups I could scrap all the garbage into a pile and clean it up easy and pretty fast!! Maybe too far to drag it up there but I would clean up any local one to help out our cause...

Too bad everyone who shoots does not care to keep these places clean. I do not care HOW broke or dirtbag I get I will NEVER litter or dump or not pick up MY SH*T!!
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Seesm;2304876]I in Auburn so I am thinking I am 2+ hrs away... You know what I have a Bobcat if we could have a big dumpster at any of the reasonable close clean ups I could scrap all the garbage into a pile and clean it up easy and pretty fast!! Maybe too far to drag it up there but I would clean up any local one to help out our cause...

Too bad everyone who shoots does not care to keep these places clean. I do not care HOW broke or dirtbag I get I will NEVER litter or dump or not pick up MY SH*T!![/QUOTE

Thats awesome beats a shovel and rake any day. I grew up shooting and camping at pillsbury, it an awesome place with a lot to do. Seems like everytime I go up theres some people taking their garbage up there to shoot and then just leaves it. Wouldnt take much for someone to look at it and wanna close it down. That would be a long haul seen as the dirt road getting in right now is all tore up. just need a heli to air lift ya in.
Old 04-11-2009, 4:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Get enough folks with p/u trucks, fill them using the bobcat and take it too the dump.

I'm interested, depends on the date though.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:00 PM

Kawi214, where is the Lake Pillsbury shooting area?
I live in Redding but get down there every few weeks.
I have been going to Cow Mt. What a DUMP!!!! There
is crap piled 4 ft high.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04-12-2009, 1:54 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Having just successfully pulled off a Panoche cleanup this weekend, I commend you guys for looking after another site. Is this site BLM? If so, you might be able to get the rangers to help truck the stuff out. This could be a double edged sword - on one hand, you'll get official help. On the other hand, they might take one look and decide to close it down.

You might also want to approach other shooters you see at these sites, or get friends to pitch in. It seems not all shooters frequent Calguns, and if the shooting spot is lesser known, you will have trouble finding enough interested people who will help out.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Turby
Old 04-12-2009, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi214 View Post
Ive been shooting at pillsbury for years and it just has turned into a dumping ground. Im just testing the water to see how many of you guys are up this way and would be interested. Its about 45 mins NE of ukiah.
Depending on the date, I'll tentatively volunteer. I'm in Ukiah.

Old 04-12-2009, 8:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've got a pick up and am looking for a place to shoot my swivel gun. Got a date and a map?
Take care
Mike
""When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - When you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - When you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws donít protect you against them, but protect them against you - When you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - You may know that your society is doomed." -- Ayn Rand, "Atlas Shrugged", 1957"
Old 04-12-2009, 8:49 PM

shooterjeff, I usually try to avoid cow mountain for that reason and that there usually a ton of people up the that dont know any kind of decent gun control. I dont like being swept with muzzles all day long. We shoot at the end of the air strip on the north side of the lake. As for the date im still trying to work out maybe getting a dumpster up there and talking to another one of my buddies who also frequents the lake and the shooting area. Thanks for the advice and offers to help that is awesome. Ill def. keep you guys posted.
Old 04-13-2009, 8:47 PM

Kawi,

Shoot me a PM when you put this together. It's a haul from where I live (about 3 hours), but I've been disapointed with how much crap is getting dumped up there the last few times I've been. We always take out more than we bring, but it doesn't even make a dent.

If I'm not booked the weekend you go, I'll join you. Perhaps we can work in some long range shooting after we're done.
Old 04-14-2009, 3:36 PM

You can count me in too guys.
Old 04-14-2009, 4:15 PM
Veteran Member

If you guys shoot, don't bring any high cap mags. I was there last year with a 30rd mag and the older Ranger harassed me for it. He had to call the "home base" for clarification and he wanted to confiscate it. After about 20 min going back and fourth, he got my info from my DL and said, "I have your info and in case Ifind it to be illegal, we'll pay you a visit at home. Till then, don't use it while you're here" and give it back to me. F that place. Not worth it for such a little spot when you have Panoche
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 PM

I dont even know how people get all the crap up to the shooting area at cow mountain
would it even be possible to do a cleanup there? I guess if you had enough trucks to get up there it might be possible but there's no way your getting a dumpster up there and if you do it's not coming back down. i wouldnt be surprised to see that place get closed down

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 04-15-2009, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Dwarf View Post
Kawi,

Shoot me a PM when you put this together. It's a haul from where I live (about 3 hours), but I've been disapointed with how much crap is getting dumped up there the last few times I've been. We always take out more than we bring, but it doesn't even make a dent.

If I'm not booked the weekend you go, I'll join you. Perhaps we can work in some long range shooting after we're done.
Will do, its gotten pretty bad maybe we will be able to make it a bit better.
Old 04-15-2009, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spddrcr View Post
I dont even know how people get all the crap up to the shooting area at cow mountain
would it even be possible to do a cleanup there? I guess if you had enough trucks to get up there it might be possible but there's no way your getting a dumpster up there and if you do it's not coming back down. i wouldnt be surprised to see that place get closed down
Im not talking about cleaning up cow mountain, my op is about Lake Pillsbury. Nonetheless I think a cow mtn job could be done with some work, I dont shoot there anymore so its not on my list right now.
Old 04-15-2009, 4:44 PM

date and time /could give a hand/ used to fish/camp/shoot up at pillsbury. see someone dumping trash = capped in arse by fellow calgunners?
Old 04-16-2009, 10:26 AM

Default I'd be hapy to put forth some time

What dates are you thinking? I might be able to get some more hands the weekend of the 24th after around noon time. Got a morning work party up there prior and can probably grab some guys.

How do you guys clean up the range? By hand would take a year. Magnet thing? Street sweeper machine? Never done a range cleanup but the end of the airport just looks terrible.

-Edit, just read about the bobcat and dumpster. We might need two dumpsters. It's been collecting shells since the 50s.

Last edited by Clack; 04-16-2009 at 10:31 AM..
Old 04-16-2009, 6:08 PM

id be down, i live in ukiah and go camping ther a few times a year with the motorcycles. ive never shot ther but i know people that do

i think just getting the big gargbage out would be a step in the right direction. some of the shells may have to stay but if you can get the TVs and propane tanks out that'll help alot

shoot me a pm or email when you decide to do it and ill try to make it out with a few people
austinronco @ hotmail.com
Old 04-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Question. How much is camping on north side of the lake (not pillsbury resort)? I havent been up there in 7 years. I am interested in helping out in exchange for meeting fellow calgunners. Any list of stuff we need to bring beside garbage bags,rakes, etc??
Old 04-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

I'm in Sonoma County and would be interested to join in.

At some point we all should give Cow Mountain a look as well. Perhaps if it was cleaned up a bit it wouldn't attract as many undisciplined yayhoos?

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-18-2009, 12:28 PM

i think camping is free up ther, you just bring your stuff and set up camp
Old 04-20-2009, 4:18 PM

Sunset's the nicest but I don't think it's open yet. Oak Flat is free but has more of the yahoos that free attracts. Boat camping is best.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:12 AM

If anyone has a small plane, just fly up, easy to find, just look at lake pilsberry and airport logo on gps, many guys fly up from SF to shoot up there.
talk about toys!
Old 04-23-2009, 7:56 AM

Default Clean up date options

Hello All, I will be there as schedule allows. We need some concrete dates proposed. I will see about borrowing a trailer to help haul stuff out. It is possible that BLM/ Rangers could assist with nearby cost effective place(s) to dump refuse allowing us to do more than one dump run. These guys already know what a mess these places are, IMO the back slash on the double edge sword is dull - better to work with local Rangers. I have never shot in the proposed area but willing to help. Being a life long dirt bike guy know first hand how a few crappy a..holes can totally mess it up for the rest of us... bad press, closing sites, etc
Old 04-23-2009, 9:43 AM

I'd be in also!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:06 AM

Went up last night. Took my parents and brother. It was the first time for all of them. They couldnt believe all the shells. It actually didnt look to bad as far as crap stewn about as ive seen before. We loaded a couple garbage bags full of crap as we pulled out.

Lets get this clean up going!
Old 06-07-2009, 2:47 PM

I would also like to tenatively volunteer I have a small pick up and have used the airfield a few times, and yall are right it's high time someone cleaned it up.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Pre-Banned

Sucks that people had to ruin that place. I used to fly into pillsbury in the early / mid 90s and go shooting at the end of the runway. Then we would camp out at the other end...

Now I hear you can't do... any of that, right?
NRA Life Member

Old 06-12-2009, 9:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Sucks that people had to ruin that place. I used to fly into pillsbury in the early / mid 90s and go shooting at the end of the runway. Then we would camp out at the other end...

Now I hear you can't do... any of that, right?
You can shoot, not sure about camping on the runway though. Plenty of other camping spots in the area.
Old 06-14-2009, 8:34 PM
Pre-Banned

Used to camp down the other end, around the corner, there were boulders blocking the path? It's been a while, but I remember some good fun out there :P
NRA Life Member

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Anyone down for a little cleanup/shoot trip after the 4th?
Old 07-13-2009, 2:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Default ^Looks better!^

Next time I go up I'm going to be doing some cleanup. It just keep getting worse and worse every time I go up there!

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 07-13-2009, 6:16 PM

I used to live there for about a year. Dont hold me to it but I know a lot of people up there with tractors and such and I """MIGHT""" be able to get something together. I need new tires on my truck but would DEFINATELY go if some one could pick me up in SR on the way. Yeah the rangers there are kind of nasty, oh well, its a beautiful area.
Old 07-25-2009, 4:39 PM
Im lurking here somewhere
CGN Contributor

I always enjoy going camping up there. If I remember correctly there are 4 camp grounds that open around may 1 and close around oct? The free camp ground is Oak flat and is open year around but has no water and quite a bit of poison oak and usually a few hell raisers that want to ride there dirt bikes at midnight(although you can only ride up there between sept-may).

The range at the end of the runway is not too bad, if nobody else is there you can do some long range shooting too. It does get hot out there though. I like to take a canopy when I go.

The range usually is pretty dirty and you really don't even need to take any targets if your just plinking as there is always something to shoot at. All the garbage out there inspired me to build my own targets that don't leave any mess behind.

I've never left anything out there, but I also haven't cleaned up anyone else's mess either and after reading this thread I feel really guilty. Next time I go I will definitely do some clean up. I may get a chance to go up in late august/september, so if I can go I'll post here and maybe I can get a little help and we can do some serious shooting.

A pic of a couple of targets I made. Have lots of different animals and a few 6" and 8" round plates for long range fun with my M1A.

Just joined calguns today, It sure is nice to talk/read with other californians with similar passions.
Old 07-25-2009, 7:07 PM
In Memoriam

Nice target hangers
Oak Flat is not free anymore.(5$ Campground stiill $ucks),however there are improvements.The garbage I picked up went into the camp dumpsters

Last edited by thomashoward; 07-26-2009 at 7:13 PM..
Old 07-25-2009, 7:19 PM
Im lurking here somewhere
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Nice target hangers
Oak Flat is not free anymore.,however there are improvements.The garbage I picked up went into the camp dumpsters
Damn, now that I think about it, I was there in may and I heard they were going to make it a pay site. Thanks for the reminder. Guess I'll stay at sunset camp from now on if I have to pay anyways.
Old 07-28-2009, 7:10 AM

I'm from San francisco any of my fellow calgunners want to take a day trip up there was there in June did some clean up on the strip but it sure I's a battle.....lake is nice and full.
Old 08-05-2009, 4:43 PM

no one how sad......
Old 08-14-2009, 11:55 PM

theres pigs up there? im ready to do some huntin and cleaninn?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 PM

head up there and dig up some lead