Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 04-10-2009, 1:38 PM
Veteran Member

Default What to expect in the interview?

I am going to be interviewing at the end of the month in West Virginia for a city PD job. What sort of curveballs are they likely to throw at me? In general, what should I expect? I'd like to be as prepared as possible since I am having to fly back there etc and spend a bit of change to do this, I don't want ot bungle it on something stupid, although I am confident that I will do well.

Also, soon I am going to be getting CPR/First Aid certified, are their any other certs I can get quick which will make me look good?

Thanks,
BDD
Old 04-10-2009, 2:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

One of the big things that I look for when I'm interviewing people from out of the area is that the person wants live permanently in my area. I don't need people who are just looking for a job as a stepping stone to a better one someplace else.

I would emphasize that I am looking for something that that area offers; like a more rural area, a family friendly community, etc. Saying nice things about the community that the interviewer lives in goes a long way as most people have a lot of pride in their home towns.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 04-10-2009, 2:18 PM

Charleston?

Thompology.com
Old 04-10-2009, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

I would like to move there permanently, or at least for 20+ years. There is a lot of natural beauty in the Appalachians and the cost of living is really cheap back there. I have a bunch of family back there and used to spend a few weeks to a month every year there and really like the area. My Mom has 40 acres in the woods she got from her parents who used to own a couple thousand, and if what I have seen in the subdivisions out there holds true in the forest, I'll be able to knock down an 8 pointer within an hour Also the cost of living back there is low and the pay is pretty competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
Charleston?
Close, Martinsburg.
Old 04-10-2009, 2:39 PM

You will be asked what you have done to prepare yourself for a job in LEO. If you say that you thought it would be a cool job and you need money, good luck. However, explain your education, your relevant work experience, your research into the city and department, and any ride alongs.

They may give you a scenario case or two involving integrity.
Old 04-10-2009, 2:52 PM
Jonathan Doe

You will be asked probably why you are applying for a small agency in the east coast than big west coast agencies in your own town.
Old 04-10-2009, 7:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Make sure your myspace and facebook accounts are clean. I just interviewed for reserve and within 5 minutes they wanted my passwords to look through it. Mine were clean, but I am sure others were not so lucky!!!
Old 04-10-2009, 7:16 PM
Part time Emperor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun7 View Post
You will be asked probably why you are applying for a small agency in the east coast than big west coast agencies in your own town.
Boxer is in love with him & he wants to be closer to her?
Old 04-10-2009, 7:16 PM
In Memoriam

Odds are they will ask you if you've ever bought smokes or liquor for anyone under age. If you say yes, kiss your chance GOODBYE.
Old 04-10-2009, 7:49 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming!
Old 04-10-2009, 9:11 PM

Have a good answer ready if they ask you how you view guns. The answer I gave was that I view them as just another tool to assist me enforce the law, albeit a tool of last resort. Guess it worked since I got the job!
Old 04-11-2009, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMONEY View Post
Make sure your myspace and facebook accounts are clean. I just interviewed for reserve and within 5 minutes they wanted my passwords to look through it. Mine were clean, but I am sure others were not so lucky!!!
Excellant advice. Checking these sites are becoming commonplace. One of our Sgts says to treat these sites like a billboard that everyone can see.
Old 04-11-2009, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the tips. Any advice on some certs I can pick up quick which will look good? I am getting my first aid/CPR on Thursday.
Old 04-11-2009, 9:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You have just made a T-stop for a driver clocked 60 in a 25 zone. You walk up and it is your mother/father/grandmother etc. What will you do?
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 04-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member

Ticket them (or do you take them to jail at that many miles over the limit?).
Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 PM

1911su16b870-----I got that one on the oral board as well, gave'em an honest answer.....told them that I would like to tell them I would give'em a ticket but I would actually cut them free and then deal with it when I got home, after all, I would still have to live with them!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 7:35 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

LOL, my answer was I would ticket them with much regret!
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 AM

as far as certs go, what you have is pretty good, but how have you lived your life so as to be prepared for a career in L.E.? expect a question or two on honesty/integrity, maybe one on your ability to arrive at a good conclusion to a specific situation.
like:
you are on patrol in a marked unit, you are driving by a local liquor store when you see a subj. running from the front doors with a wad of cash in one hand and their other hand in their jacket pocket, what would you do?
or:
you go to a closed liquor store for a burglary in the middle of the night, you are riding with your F.T.O. and when you arrive the front window is smashed out. You and your F.T.O. clear the building and you are told to go start the paperwork in the car. You then see your F.T.O. take a candy bar and put it in their pocket and walk out of the store. What do you do?
also make sure they know you have a buy in in the community. Prepare an opening statement and a closing statement (memorized) to tell them in the interview.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:26 AM

Never hurts to be ready to answer what it is about their department specifically that attracted you/made theirs stand out from all the others. I went to the city web site before my oral interview and studied facts about the city that I could tell them, showing that I had a genuine interest in the city and was not just looking for the job.

Like others on here have said, be ready for the integrity questions, I got one very similar to the candy bar question. Difference was the business was open and my FTO took a cany bar without paying for it. I answered I would just go pay for it assuming the FTO had just forgot, to which they countered that it happened every time we went to the store. I said I would ask a senior officer on what to do and as a last resort go to my supervisor.
Old 04-21-2009, 9:21 AM

What helped me was doing as many interviews as I could. I had a dozen or so LE interviews under my belt be fore I was hired. It's good practice. The most grueling interview was two hours. Confidence comes with practice. Show you can think on your feet with confidence, don't be indecisive.

Yoda
Old 04-22-2009, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the tips, keep em coming. I have the interview next Thursday.
Old 04-23-2009, 2:04 PM

Good Luck man!!

Quote:
"I definitely think guns should be controlled. When I am sleeping, my guns raid my fridge and drink all the milk. Oh sure, they deny it in the morning - but I know it was them!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
you can't argue logic with an anti....it's like trying to get an apple tree to grow bicycles
Old 04-23-2009, 2:33 PM

I'm not applying but have a general question. Maybe it will be helpful to the original poster.

What about a little humor here and there to lighten the mood? Are the interviewers usual stiff necked because really it is a serious position or can they appreciate a little funny occasionally. Nothing smart azzed just funny.
Old 04-23-2009, 3:19 PM

Be professional.
Old 04-23-2009, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal50Lover View Post
What about a little humor here and there to lighten the mood?
In a word... no.

Professional is the key. You should be relaxed, but professional. If you start cracking jokes I start wondering why you aren't answering the question I asked you.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal50Lover View Post
I'm not applying but have a general question. Maybe it will be helpful to the original poster.

What about a little humor here and there to lighten the mood? Are the interviewers usual stiff necked because really it is a serious position or can they appreciate a little funny occasionally. Nothing smart azzed just funny.
Definitely NO. Keep it professional.

As far as ticketing your mom, grandma, etc, you have the discreation to give warnings for infractions which includes most traffic matters. Be honest, I would never write my grandma a ticket, nor would I expect any of my deputies to write such a ticket. Departments are looking for people with common sense and compassion.

As far as a partner who is a thief, you owe him nothing and if you can't trust him/her to pay for a candy bar, how can you trust him/her with your life?

Integrity is essential & common sense is mandatory. If you have those going in, they can teach you everything else.

Don't know about WV, but in Cali you would still have to take CPR/First Aid even if you have the certs already for POST requirements. Having them will help in the long run because it will be a review (can help boost test scores) I was a CPR & First Aid Instructor and still had to sit thru the lectures in the academy. Six months after graduation I was teaching recruits CPR & First Aid.

Make eye contact and be confident in your answers. Make sure you understand the question. If you don't understand, it is better to ask them to repeat it and give the right answer than take a wild guess and have them think you will jump into situations without thinking things thru.

Make sure you present a professonal image. Wear a coat and tie, no visible piercings (ladies should only wear small stud earrings). A clean shaven face presents a better image. Goatees should be avoided (you can always grow it back if you don't get the job)

Many departments are adopting tattoo policies. If you like inking up, keep them where they won't show while in uniform. LASD has a policy of no visible tattoos while on duty, including military service tattoos. Some guys have to wear long sleeves even in the summer. My partner has USMC on his forearm and has to wear long sleeves always. Kinda sucks, but some guys were going crazy with 'sleeving' and such. Some of them started looking like the gangsters we're supposed to be protecting people from.

Tattoos are popular right now, but think about things like that if you want to get one.

Best of luck to you.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 04-25-2009, 12:32 PM

I interviewed with the CHP last summer. Wear a suit and tie. Show up a little early. Be professional and make eye contact with the person that asked the question. There will probably 2 or more people interviewing you. The recruiters gave me a list of questions that I should know so that helped. I don't remember all of them but some of them were: Why do you want to join? What does the CHP do? What is a hard decision that you had to make recently?

They also asked a few situational questions. One of them was something along the lines of: You are called to a scene and someone is threatening to jump off the freeway overpass. What would you do? I don't remember the other question right now.

My interview went well. It lasted about 45 minutes and I got a perfect score on it. I started my background check and then I decided I wanted to join the Army.

Good luck with your interview. It shouldn't be too bad. Just be confident and respectful.

Oh yeah, I think they had a form that I filled out about me, job history and that kind of think. They went over that with me. They asked all kinds of questions about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

It went well. I was only interviewed by one guy, and he was wearing the same shirt (light blue) and tie combo (red with blue dots) I was, which I figure must have made a good impression. Lasted about and hour and twenty minutes I'd say. Thanks for all the tips, although none of your sample questions came up, although I did have to fill out a questionnaire which included whether I had ever committed beasteality, which I guess is a pretty good indication of the way people in West Virginia are
Old 05-04-2009, 7:22 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, B.D.!
Best of luck with the job hopes and the 40 acres & a mule!
Old 05-04-2009, 8:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
Hey, B.D.!
Best of luck with the job hopes and the 40 acres & a mule!
Thanks Ray. I better get the job, going back for the interview made me miss my third sportsman's club meeting, so I am still on probation for another month. And I missed Bwiesse's lecture which I thought would be pretty interesting. I don't think he like's me much though, but who does?