Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-10-2009, 1:38 PM

Default Scope suggestions for a 10/22 please

Hey all

I recently picked up a ruger 10/22, and swapped out the stock and barrel for a .920 bull barrel, but what i am wanting now is some scope suggestions.

I would like either a 3x or 4x zoom on it, and prefferable to keep it under $100, after all, it is just a plinker and I won't really be shooting anything too far at all. I dont really care about what it looks like, as long as it is black and works.

I already have a cheap bsa red dot on there now, but it leaves me wanting something with a magnification to it.

If anyone has any advice, it would greatly be appreciated.

oh yeah, I have been thinking of this one here, but i would like to know if anyone has any experience with it, or if there is something much better out there for the money
Old 04-10-2009, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

I had a spare 6-20x Barska floating around and I put it on my 10/22. I already put a bull barrel on it and a nice Boyds stock so it was a bench rifle and the weight of a huge scope didn't really matter. It is accurate and cheap, I would recommend one, but if you only want 3-9x magnification, keep your eyes on the for sale boards, cheap scopes are pretty frequent and you can get some great deals on 3-9x scopes.

BDD
Old 04-10-2009, 11:50 PM

how are the bushnell scopes?

I was looking at midway for rimfire scops and saw a fixed 4x magnification for under $40, and one with a variable 3-9x for just over 40.

I have only used a bushnell holosight, and i loved that, but never had any experience with their scopes
Old 04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

I use the one you buy from Wal-Mart for around 28 bucks on my 10/22.

Holds zero, 3x-9x, works, looks decent, price is right. What's not to love?

Wife shooting my 10/22.

"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote:
"Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack." -Stanze
Old 04-11-2009, 7:34 AM

After asking around on the RimfireCentral forum, I got the Mueller 4.5x 14 for around $125. Excellent scope for the 22's

Old 04-11-2009, 8:46 AM

+1 on the mueller apv, got one on my 10/22, couldn't be happier with it
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

I also hear really good things about the Mueller. But i wanted something less expensive for now so i went with the Simmons Blazer 3-9x50 and have been happy so far. It was about $26, I paid more for the rings and flip up covers hah.
Old 07-02-2009, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
I also hear really good things about the Mueller. But i wanted something less expensive for now so i went with the Simmons Blazer 3-9x50 and have been happy so far. It was about $26, I paid more for the rings and flip up covers hah.
I was also looking to get that scope but either in 40 or 50. I'm going to get the 40mm objective unless someone tells me that the 50 will give me significantly better performance in whatever a larger objective does... low light? FOV?

Btw, Sportsmansguide has both of them for the same very low price.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Bushnell Banner 3-9X40 on mine. Works well and costs about what you're looking to spend.
Old 07-03-2009, 3:19 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Simmons 22mag 3-9x32 AO with Burris Zee Rings
Rings $22ish
Scope $50-60

got it on mine and love it
Old 07-03-2009, 5:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I like good quality scopes and that means nothing Chinese. My suggestion for a plinker is a fixed power 4x scope. About the best deal going anywhere is the deal that Natchez has on the discontinued Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope. It's a $200 scope on clearance for $80. Optically it will flat blow away anything else you'll find for less than $100.

A second very good scope for a 10/22 is Weaver's VR7 2.5-7x28 rimfire scope. Another good scope! These are scopes that will last you a while and not Chinese toys.

Keep in mind a couple of things when scoping a rimfire. If you're scoping a hunter/plinker you probably don't want to deal with a scope with a adjustable objective. They slow the shot too much while you futz with the scope. That's more for target shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixer View Post
how are the bushnell scopes?

I was looking at midway for rimfire scops and saw a fixed 4x magnification for under $40, and one with a variable 3-9x for just over 40.

I have only used a bushnell holosight, and i loved that, but never had any experience with their scopes
Bushnell makes a full range of scopes. Everything from inexpensive $40 rimfire scopes which are in my opinion are best of breed $40 rimfire scopes, to $1000 target scopes. They make good stuff for each price range. But those $40 Bushnells are are not in the same league as the Weaver I suggested - nothing under $100 is.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 07-03-2009 at 5:39 AM..
Old 07-03-2009, 9:20 AM

I'm pretty much looking for the best deal Sportsmansguide.com has to offer, I've been a loyal customer for too long to stray from them not to mention I'm buyer's club member. I love saving $3ish on random things!

Here are the two I'm debating on, with two more that seem promising but I don't know too much about.

1. Simmons® 3 - 9x40 mm Blazer Rifle Scope
2. Simmons® 3 - 9x50 mm Blazer Series Rifle Scope.
3. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=506951
4. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=546833

Opinions?
Old 07-03-2009, 9:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

I wouldn't buy any of them. You get what you pay for and low end Simmons are not good scopes. You'll also want a scope that is setup for rimfire cartridges (parallax free at 50yds). If you must buy a cheap scope I'd buy a Bushnell rimfire scope for about $40.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 07-03-2009, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholling View Post
I wouldn't buy any of them. You get what you pay for and low end Simmons are not good scopes. You'll also want a scope that is setup for rimfire cartridges (parallax free at 50yds). If you must buy a cheap scope I'd buy a Bushnell rimfire scope for about $40.
Darn, seemed like a pretty good deal. I don't mind spending for quality stuff, but by no means do I want to completely blow my load on something I don't necessarily need. That $80 Weaver Shotgun scope seems like a good deal, but 4x fixed just isn't rubbing me the right way, I'm going to be using this scope for target shooting, honing my marksmanship skills for long range precision shooting in the future. With that in mind, would a higher magnification be better?
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

Mueller and Intensity Adjustable objective scopes are pretty popular on Rimfirecentral.com.

I have the Mueller APV, and it works great.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopercentmlk View Post
Darn, seemed like a pretty good deal. I don't mind spending for quality stuff, but by no means do I want to completely blow my load on something I don't necessarily need. That $80 Weaver Shotgun scope seems like a good deal, but 4x fixed just isn't rubbing me the right way, I'm going to be using this scope for target shooting, honing my marksmanship skills for long range precision shooting in the future. With that in mind, would a higher magnification be better?
That changes things. You originally stated your goal was plinking. If you're target shooting then the Mueller APV that somebody suggested is probably the best you'll get for the price. Optically it's a step down from from the 4x Weaver but the APV is popular with 22 target shooters on a budget. I've also been experimenting with a Simmons 6-14x42 Pro Hunter and although I'll be shocked if it lasts 2 years it's doing okay so far. But that's the least expensive Simmons product line that I'd risk any money on.

Let's send you to scope school real quick if you don't mind. If you're going to get serious about target shooting you'll want at least 3-9x with 4-16 being better and you'll want a way to dial out parallax errors. That means a scope with either an adjustable objective or side focus. You could take a chance on a Simmons Pro Hunter 4-12x40. I can't swear how well it will track or how long it will last but I'd spend my money on it before I would the lower end stuff. Natchez is blowing these out. Like Sportsmans Guide they buy a lot of discontinued stuff.

I tend to take my 22s seriously.

Old 07-03-2009, 2:00 PM

+1 Bushnell rimfire. I got one for my dad's .22 and it works great. Check opticsplanet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuntsman949 View Post
does it come with a flat billed hat, and a spade shirt?
Old 07-03-2009, 2:49 PM

I just got one of these from Walmart to mess around with on my old 22 magnum boltaction rifle and for my plinking needs it works great, took about 3 mins to zero at 100 yards and seems to be built pretty well for 50 bucks:

3-9x32mm Rimfire

Red/Green Illumination Mil-Dot Reticle

True hunter windage and elevation dials

Includes lens covers and medium profile premium rings

Part number » CP392RG

* One piece tube construction
* CenterPoint's Advantage lens coating reduces light loss and limits glare, while allowing optimum light transmission
* Ergonomically designed grips for fast focus eyepiece and magnification
* 100% waterproof, fogproof and shockproof
* Limited Lifetime Warranty -

the next one up was 69 bucks I believe and this is the model:

3-9x40mm

Adjustable objective, parallax focus from 5yds to infinity

Target adjustable windage and elevation dials with zero locking/resetting capabilities

Duplex reticle

Includes flip open lens covers and medium profile premium rings

Part number » CP394AODP

* One piece tube construction
* CenterPoint's Advantage lens coating reduces light loss and limits glare, while allowing optimum light transmission
* Ergonomically designed grips for fast focus eyepiece and magnification
* 100% waterproof, fogproof and shockproof
* Limited Lifetime Warranty -

I know you get what you pay for but the scope i got worked perfect for me at the range today and im really happy with it

"wildhawker
People generally do what they want, not what they can, or should."
Old 07-03-2009, 7:59 PM

Great info guys! I'm new to this so I'm happy to get some constructive criticism. I'm leaning towards the Simmons ProHunter 4-12x40mm that Sholling recommended, the Weaver Slug scope looks like a great deal but I dont think I'm going to be carrying my rifle around shooting at squirrels although that sounds like tons of fun! WIth the SImmons ProHunter I could still do that in 4x mode right?

Nanches doesn't list a tube diameter, I'm assuming it's a 1" monotube? I don't want to get the wrong rings!
Old 07-03-2009, 8:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Great info guys! I'm new to this so I'm happy to get some constructive criticism. I'm leaning towards the Simmons ProHunter 4-12x40mm that Sholling recommended,
Just remember my disclaimer.

Here is a ratings list by Guns & Shooting:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Quote:
the Weaver Slug scope looks like a great deal but I dont think I'm going to be carrying my rifle around shooting at squirrels although that sounds like tons of fun! WIth the SImmons ProHunter I could still do that in 4x mode right?
Yes you can.

Quote:
Nanches doesn't list a tube diameter, I'm assuming it's a 1" monotube? I don't want to get the wrong rings!
I'm sure it's 1" but I'd wait for the scope before buying rings. If this is the same scope then these specs should help.

Last edited by sholling; 07-03-2009 at 8:14 PM..
Old 07-03-2009, 8:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have this one on mine. From Walmart "Centerpoint"

Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

-- Edward Abbey, "Abbey's Road", 1979
Old 07-03-2009, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Just remember my disclaimer.

Here is a ratings list by Guns & Shooting:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/recommended_riflescopes.htm

Yes you can.

I'm sure it's 1" but I'd wait for the scope before buying rings. If this is the same scope then these specs should help.
sholling
I just bought a Marlin 60C and was looking to buy a nice scope for it! I messed up and ordered a 243 Sweet at a nice price.....I know see there discontinued from a few sites, just like you stated about the Sportmans Guide. I put it up for sale on this site. I also used your advice and ordered the Weaver Scope. I am glad I found this post, because the BSA is China JUNK....Its real hard to find USA products these days!

I want to Thank you! for the insite on scopes for 22 LR

P.S. you have some nice looking rifles there.

Al
Old 07-04-2009, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
sholling
I just bought a Marlin 60C and was looking to buy a nice scope for it! I messed up and ordered a 243 Sweet at a nice price.....I know see there discontinued from a few sites, just like you stated about the Sportmans Guide. I put it up for sale on this site. I also used your advice and ordered the Weaver Scope. I am glad I found this post, because the BSA is China JUNK....Its real hard to find USA products these days!

I want to Thank you! for the insite on scopes for 22 LR

P.S. you have some nice looking rifles there.

Al
+1 on the thanks to Sholling, btw I went to Scope School as recommended.
Old 07-04-2009, 7:00 AM
CGN Contributor

Go for a Leupold VX-I 2-7x28mm, That what I got on my 10/22 rifle and love that scope. Shooting at a 100yards with no problem.
Old 07-04-2009, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Most of the scopes mentioned in this thread are Chinese, though not all of them are junk.

The Leupold's not, depending on how you define it (some lower models are assembled in the USA from components, some parts from China), but the Mueller, BSA, Simmons, Centerpoint, Barska, etc, are all made in China.

NRA Life Member
Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxicon View Post
Most of the scopes mentioned in this thread are Chinese, though not all of them are junk.

The Leupold's not, depending on how you define it (some lower models are assembled in the USA from components, some parts from China), but the Mueller, BSA, Simmons, Centerpoint, Barska, etc, are all made in China.
The Mueller APV is made in China? I think I wanted that one and I would've ordered it if Sportsmansguide didn't say that it wont ship out til the 20somethingth of this month, Midwayusa has it for immediate shipping but I'd rather not give my money to them.

Any other suggestions for .22 precision target practice? 4-16x or something like that? I don't mind spending over $100.
Old 07-04-2009, 1:23 PM

These seem to be priced well, but they're so similar I can't figure out which is best!
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...rodID=SN512104

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...LPXSF%20ATECM*

Then there's the mil-dot which I don't think is necessary...
http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...T%20SF%20AETEC

All this studying up I'm doing is making my budget inflate, oh no.... from $30 to nearly $200!
Old 07-04-2009, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

All you need is an inexpensive 3x-9x on your 10/22. You can get a Simmons Blazer 3x-9x from Walmart for less than $30. I got a similar one (4x-12x) on Ebay for $27 shipped and put it on one of my 22's; it works great!

SCMA-1

"Wherever I Walk,
Everyone Is a Little Bit Safer Because I Am There.

Wherever I Am,
Anyone In Need Has a Friend.

Whenever I Return Home,
Everyone Is Happy I Am There."
- "The Warrior Creed" ~ Robert L. Humphrey
Old 07-04-2009, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMA-1 View Post
All you need is an inexpensive 3x-9x on your 10/22. You can get a Simmons Blazer 3x-9x from Walmart for less than $30. I got a similar one (4x-12x) on Ebay for $27 shipped and put it on one of my 22's; it works great!

SCMA-1
I pretty much hi-jacked this inactive thread so now it's regarding my Remington Model 5 for target shooting. I decided on a 4-12x40 or something similar and of medium to high quality thanks to Sholling's guidance. I'll let you know which scope I go with and of course when everything's in place I'll bring pics!
Old 07-04-2009, 3:58 PM

Many have had good luck with the Mueller APV or Simmons Whitetail Classic on sale at Midwayusa.com.

Both have been very good all-around scopes for 10/22's. The Simmons is made in the Philippines, vs the Mueller made in China.

Be warned, though, that the Simmons WTC is a huge scope and may need high rings, depending on your sight base.

Both are in the $125 range and offer good value for the price on a 10/22.

The Simmons 3-9x AO is a good deal at around $65-$75 but compared to the other choice above, the only advantage is weight and compactness.
Old 07-04-2009, 6:28 PM

3 suggestions from Intensity Optics. These are $220 - $300 scopes going for $50 - $90. I picked up a few for my 10/22s and a couple of future purchases. Works like a charm on my 10/22, you won't go wrong!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=532458

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c...?a=547554&pn=2
Old 07-04-2009, 8:37 PM

I've got a Simmons ProHunter on my 10-22. It is a decent scope for under $100 and the Natchezss price is really good on them. My wife has a Sightron SI on her 10-22. The price is a little out of your budget (best prices are in the 100-120 range) but they are made in Japan. I took my stepdad out shooting a while back and he definitely noticed that the glass on the Sightron was nicer.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceDay View Post
I've got a Simmons ProHunter on my 10-22. It is a decent scope for under $100 and the Natchezss price is really good on them. My wife has a Sightron SI on her 10-22. The price is a little out of your budget (best prices are in the 100-120 range) but they are made in Japan. I took my stepdad out shooting a while back and he definitely noticed that the glass on the Sightron was nicer.
That's not necessarily out of my price range so I'll look into that, until then I just got the idea to replace the crappy scope my old crossman pellet rifle came with with something like this. We just finished laying grass and these gofers are starting to tear the place up, I wouldn't mind spending a sunday reading the paper with my freshly scoped air rifle on my lap.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Sightron makes good stuff. The S1 line is about on par with Weaver's V & VR series. The difference between Sightron's S1 3-9x32 Rimfire and much more expensive Weaver's RV9 is the RV9 has an adjustable objective.

Old 07-05-2009, 4:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
my $40 simmons has shot great for me over the alst 3 years. and i rarely have to adjust the zero on it. this includes ahving to drive down a dirt wash in the desert with my 22 in the back. and a $30 simmons was on my rem 700 for a while and it held up to a few hundred rounds of that until i got something better.
D1.1 1F/G, 2F/G, 3F/G unlimited range, Steel SMAW
I can make custom shooting targets and paracord accesories. PM me.

Last edited by xibunkrlilkidsx; 07-05-2009 at 4:52 PM..
Old 07-05-2009, 5:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Here ya go: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...HAIR%20RETICLE

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...4615&src=BA849

Both of these will be decent cheap scopes. They are cheap, but will hold up to a .22lr no problem. Unless you really just beat the crap out of stuff, then it'll be good to go. I just got the truglo scope to try out for a while and I'll post up what I think when it gets here on the 8th. If you're wanting a really nice scope, they have a nikon monarch side focus 3-10x50 for $299 right now. Thats the deal of the day.
Old 07-05-2009, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
Here ya go: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...HAIR%20RETICLE

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...4615&src=BA849

Both of these will be decent cheap scopes. They are cheap, but will hold up to a .22lr no problem. Unless you really just beat the crap out of stuff, then it'll be good to go. I just got the truglo scope to try out for a while and I'll post up what I think when it gets here on the 8th. If you're wanting a really nice scope, they have a nikon monarch side focus 3-10x50 for $299 right now. Thats the deal of the day.
Thats some discounted price on the Tru-glo

Too bad I already bought this SUPER DUPER SNIPER SWAT EXTREME ARMOR PIERCING HUBBLE TACTICAL SCOPE made in entirely of toxic materials in China.

In all seriousness I went through with the Simmons Prohunter 4-14x40mm. Spec wise it's exactly what I'm looking for and I didn't have to exceed my budget, Sholling mentioned something about this particular scope "seeming" to not be able to last two years of abuse but that doesn't concern me since I'm still learning and actually look forward to upgrading to something completely out of my current price range at this time.
Old 07-05-2009, 6:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The cool thing is that the truglos were going for around 200-300 at some of the pricier sites and natchez is just trying to get rid of them now. They're pretty much AT wholesale currently. Its going to be a good holdover till I can get a nightforce or USO some day..........
Old 07-05-2009, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombadillo View Post
The cool thing is that the truglos were going for around 200-300 at some of the pricier sites and natchez is just trying to get rid of them now. They're pretty much AT wholesale currently. Its going to be a good holdover till I can get a nightforce or USO some day..........
Yea I noticed that, too bad the zoom is a little much for a .22, at that price Im almost to pick up the illuminated mil-dot version for later use
Old 07-05-2009, 9:29 PM
I need a LIFE!!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yea I noticed that, too bad the zoom is a little much for a .22, at that price Im almost to pick up the illuminated mil-dot version for later use
You mean too much for a stock 22.

10/22 w/Volquartsen Carbon Fiber THM barrel and a Weaver V24 6-24x42.

10/22 w/Quantum barrel and Simmons 6-24x44 Pro Hunter (experimental build).

Anschutz 64 MPR w/Weaver T24 24x40 scope.

This is the little RV9.