Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-09-2009, 8:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Which 9mm bullet to use for a 9mm AR?

I already have 1K processed 9mm casings I bought from hkdad, and have an order with RRA for my 9mm conversion kit and parts. So I need to get the bullets for it that will be a good match for plinking and run and gun type of target shooting. I basically kill a lot of paper when I shoot, I plan on using both iron sights and Eotech for sights. Also need a little help picking a decent powder that will propel the round without too much trouble. Right now I am looking at getting 115gr FMJ, any suggestions would be very helpful thanks.

-Gio
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio View Post
I already have 1K processed 9mm casings I bought from hkdad, and have an order with RRA for my 9mm conversion kit and parts. So I need to get the bullets for it that will be a good match for plinking and run and gun type of target shooting. I basically kill a lot of paper when I shoot, I plan on using both iron sights and Eotech for sights. Also need a little help picking a decent powder that will propel the round without too much trouble. Right now I am looking at getting 115gr FMJ, any suggestions would be very helpful thanks.

-Gio
I have been looking at this same thing today. What I have been finding is people prefer a 147gr Bullet.

But I have also read that 115 or 124 works just fine. But I believe it was meant for 147.

I shoot my sons, and we have been using 124gr, and at 100yds, with just iron sights, it holds its own pretty well. I am starting to reload 9mm, that is the reason I was looking at this.

But I think my platted Berries Bullets that are 124gr will work just fine.
Old 04-10-2009, 7:24 AM

My buddy was using 125 grain FMJ NATO ball ammunition. I cant remember the brand of upper but we put close to 1000 rounds through it in a little under 40 minutes?

There were about 9 of us and he let us take turns running it in FA. Other than the barrel getting hot, everything worked well.

As for the Berry's plated, I've never been a fan of their stuff. I tried them years ago and I found that they tended to strip their plating at higher velocities. It was always a nightmare to clean. I asked some of the other reloaders I shoot with and they had experienced the same thing. YMMV of course, but for what they charge, I would much rather use Montana Gold or ZERO bullets.

All the same, good luck with finding something that runs thru your 9mm upper. Definitely let us know the results!
Old 04-10-2009, 7:45 AM

I've push alot of Berrys through my 9mm & 40SWs with out any problems. The trick is not to push them faster than 1100 fps.
Old 04-10-2009, 7:52 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyracoon View Post
I've push alot of Berrys through my 9mm & 40SWs with out any problems. The trick is not to push them faster than 1100 fps.
Yeah, they say to use 1/2 max load of a similar bullet.
Old 04-10-2009, 7:54 AM

I would say buy Montana Gold. Buy by the case it's cheaper and the bullets are very accurate.
Old 04-10-2009, 8:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I run the same 124gr cast bullets in my AR as I do in my handgun.
Same exact load too so I don't have to make different loads for the different guns.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks guys for your replies so far. As of now I do not have a 9mm pistol so basically loading for the AR

-Gio
Old 05-04-2009, 5:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well I did it finally. Now that I have the 9mm dies and also had some processed cases ready for loading I finally received my Monatana Gold Bullets today! I also bought an 8lb jug of Hogdon Titegroup. Before I was only looking to load for an AR 16" 9mm upper. Well things have changed since then. I am getting a 7" AR Pistol and I am receiving my Glock 17 in 3 days

So now that I have the cases, powder and bullets I am trying to figure out what to do now. Right now I am trying to use Hogdon's site in aiding my reload, but they do not have a recipe posted up for Titegroup and 115 FMJ bullets So can anyone give me some pointers as what to do now? I would really appreciate any feedback

-Gio
Old 05-04-2009, 5:50 PM

Go over to brianenos.com too!

Last edited by a-shot; 05-04-2009 at 8:42 PM..
Old 05-04-2009, 6:01 PM

4.3 if Titegroup is a nice load for a pistol and will run a 9mm AR just fine. Do not load 9 Major for your AR, its too hot for a blow back system and if you use it in your Glock 17 it will be a bad day at the range. A standard pistol loading if more than adequate for a 16" barrel.

I use any cheap bullet in my Olympic 9mm, cast, plated or jacketed it doesn't matter.
Old 05-04-2009, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the thelp

-Gio
Old 05-04-2009, 10:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC View Post
4.3 if Titegroup is a nice load for a pistol and will run a 9mm AR just fine. Do not load 9 Major for your AR, its too hot for a blow back system and if you use it in your Glock 17 it will be a bad day at the range. A standard pistol loading if more than adequate for a 16" barrel.

I use any cheap bullet in my Olympic 9mm, cast, plated or jacketed it doesn't matter.
I see you posted over on be.com stating 4.2 works fine with 115. I guess I can start with that for my G17. Then when I get my AR Pistol I will use the same load. Nos all I have to so is fine a crimp die for 9mm

-Gio
Old 05-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I see you posted over on be.com stating 4.2 works fine with 115. I guess I can start with that for my G17. Then when I get my AR Pistol I will use the same load. Nos all I have to so is fine a crimp die for 9mm

-Gio
My Lee manual says starting charge of 4.1gr and a max charge of 4.4gr when using Titegroup with 124gr FMJ bullets. The round should chrono at ~1063fps @4.1gr and ~1136fps @4.4gr.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?

Last edited by domokun; 05-04-2009 at 11:45 PM..
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
My Lee manual says starting charge of 4.1gr and a max charge of 4.4gr when using Titegroup with 124gr FMJ bullets. The round should chrono at ~1063fps @4.1gr and ~1136fps @4.4gr.
Wouldn't there be a slight difference for 115 FMJ as opposed to 124? Thanks though,

-Gio
Old 05-05-2009, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
I shoot my sons.

LOL....
Old 05-06-2009, 8:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Wouldn't there be a slight difference for 115 FMJ as opposed to 124? Thanks though,

-Gio
Here's the 115gr version of it.

Starting charge of 4.5gr and a max charge of 4.8gr when using Titegroup with 115gr FMJ bullets. The round should chrono at ~1135fps @4.5gr and ~1158fps @4.8gr.
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 05-06-2009, 9:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domokun View Post
Here's the 115gr version of it.

Starting charge of 4.5gr and a max charge of 4.8gr when using Titegroup with 115gr FMJ bullets. The round should chrono at ~1135fps @4.5gr and ~1158fps @4.8gr.
Thanks I am starting off with 4.2 of Titegroup since it was suggested to me before. I will start off with that and increase it .1 grains if needed. I need to get my hands on a chrono. Also my OAL is 1.100" is that good enough? I have already loaded 400 rounds that way he he. I was planning on doing 500 and then seeing how it reacts with my Glock 17. From what I have heard so far it will shoot a nice little flame using Titegroup in anything short of a 6" barrel

-Gio
Old 05-07-2009, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks I am starting off with 4.2 of Titegroup since it was suggested to me before. I will start off with that and increase it .1 grains if needed. I need to get my hands on a chrono. Also my OAL is 1.100" is that good enough? I have already loaded 400 rounds that way he he. I was planning on doing 500 and then seeing how it reacts with my Glock 17. From what I have heard so far it will shoot a nice little flame using Titegroup in anything short of a 6" barrel

-Gio
The book says min OAL for this load is 1.125. I'd personally load 10 to 20 rounds or so and test fire them before loading a batch of 500 rounds to keep myself from having to pull 499 or less bullets to redo them.
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?