Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 04-08-2009, 5:19 PM

Angry Help with Savage magazines..

Damn savage magazines are really starting to piss me off. I got one mag when i purchased my rifle, and purchased two others shortly after. All three mags have failed on me, including the factory mag. The small dovetail welds (thats what ill be calling them) are not holding anymore and im not sure how to get them to hold tight again.

I have figured out why the mags are busted, but now need to know how to fix them. Apparently, every so often, i will get a failure to extract. If im looking down the scope, i wouldnt notice and when i go to chamber the next round, it would push on the end of the chambered round and kinda force the lips open popping the dovetail weld. I havent figured out where the failure to extract is coming from yet, but am working on fixing the problem.

But for now, i need to fix my mags. Any suggestions? Dont think i can tack with my mig and grind flat without warping it a little or melting the follower. Thought about a little JB weld or something, but the fit in the mag well is very tight and i think i would just sand off all the holding JB trying to get it to fit back into the mag well.

Here is a picture, any ideas would be killer. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2009, 5:28 PM

I would try to contact Savage and send them in for replacements before I would try and fix them. Other than that, I'm not sure what you could do...there is so little to work with on those mags.
Old 04-08-2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird33 View Post
I would try to contact Savage and send them in for replacements before I would try and fix them. Other than that, I'm not sure what you could do...there is so little to work with on those mags.
i thought about that, but hate to send all my mags out and not have any while im waiting for the replacements. Plus, even if they send new ones, they will just end up with the same fate until i figure out the extraction issue. Thats why i figured it would be better just to fix these instead of sending away for replacements just for them to break as well.

Your right, there is very little material to work with on these things
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 AM

Those could be fixed with a TIG. Try some different ammo for the FTE problem. My mkII is accurate but I have to press the magazine up to get it to feed. I've come to the conclusion that Savage Rimfire mags suck big time.
Old 04-09-2009, 4:46 PM

Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone local with TIG access to fix said problem lol?
Old 04-09-2009, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

What caliber are they?

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 04-09-2009, 5:57 PM

.22's not the .17's
Old 04-09-2009, 5:57 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

hot glue?
Old 04-10-2009, 2:37 PM

I love my .22 lr BTVS but have also been having problems extracting rounds. probably happens one out of five rounds but I haven't checked my mag
Old 04-11-2009, 1:19 AM

checked my mag and all is good... only one I have and probably have 600-700 rounds through it..
Old 04-11-2009, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
Anyone else have this problem? Or anyone local with TIG access to fix said problem lol?
I just for my BV last sunday, took her shooting on Tuesday and had that problem after about 200 rounds of various ammo, switched to Aquila bulk and got a FTE after 10 rounds, I didn't catch it had had a stove top when I jammed teh next round in and when I extracted the vertical round, it bent the lip (I thought) and wouldn't hold rounds without popping then out. I didn't have any plyers on me so I rolled the lip on the ground and was good as new. Shot 600 rounds through the pipe yesturday, got about a dozen FTE with the WinXP bulk and one with Rem Targets. I found if you moved the bolt faster to release the shel, the interia from the round below will increase and pop most of the rounds out. For the ones that didn't extract, I can feel it through the bolt before trying to push home.

I only have the factory mag, none of the other 4 I ordered are here yet. I need to check my weld to see if it cracked. I think a simple TIG weld job will do the trick to make it stronger too,might have to repaint though
Old 04-11-2009, 2:06 PM

I just put about 200 rounds through my new mkII bv and probably had about 2 or 3 FTF. Other than that, everything functioned well with no mag problems.
Old 04-11-2009, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
I just for my BV last sunday, took her shooting on Tuesday and had that problem after about 200 rounds of various ammo, switched to Aquila bulk and got a FTE after 10 rounds, I didn't catch it had had a stove top when I jammed teh next round in and when I extracted the vertical round, it bent the lip (I thought) and wouldn't hold rounds without popping then out. I didn't have any plyers on me so I rolled the lip on the ground and was good as new. Shot 600 rounds through the pipe yesturday, got about a dozen FTE with the WinXP bulk and one with Rem Targets. I found if you moved the bolt faster to release the shel, the interia from the round below will increase and pop most of the rounds out. For the ones that didn't extract, I can feel it through the bolt before trying to push home.

I only have the factory mag, none of the other 4 I ordered are here yet. I need to check my weld to see if it cracked. I think a simple TIG weld job will do the trick to make it stronger too,might have to repaint though

Pretty much what i did, but i i didnt stovepipe it, just FTE (which i have resolved now). The feed lip didnt get bent like yours, but when the feedlips were spread apart when trying to chamber the next round, it popped out the little dovetail rivit/weld whatever that holds the mag body together. I might take one of them and try to tack it back with my MIG on a really low setting, hopefully it wont burn through. If it does ill just have someone TIG weld the others . Wish me luck!
Old 04-12-2009, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arteeel View Post
I just put about 200 rounds through my new mkII bv and probably had about 2 or 3 FTF. Other than that, everything functioned well with no mag problems.

what scope did you go with? The BV seems like a popular choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblank View Post
Pretty much what i did, but i i didnt stovepipe it, just FTE (which i have resolved now). The feed lip didnt get bent like yours, but when the feedlips were spread apart when trying to chamber the next round, it popped out the little dovetail rivit/weld whatever that holds the mag body together. I might take one of them and try to tack it back with my MIG on a really low setting, hopefully it wont burn through. If it does ill just have someone TIG weld the others . Wish me luck!
Just start with a lower amp so you won't burn though. You might have to do some filing/dremel work to clean up after the MIG weld. Or if your scared to weld it, some JB weld might do the trick
Old 04-12-2009, 7:38 AM
Veteran Member

The Savage mags are known to sometimes have issues with the feed lips. Quite a few competitors at Timberwolves 22 matches have since modified their mags to make sure they are reliable.
Old 04-12-2009, 3:37 PM

I went with the BV model because Bobbyblank ordered one, but came with the bolt handle sticking out of the package scuffed. So he ordered another one and I just picked up the one that was scuffed for 60.00 cheaper.
I went with a Sightmark 4-16x44 scope I traded with another member here which I really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
what scope did you go with? The BV seems like a popular choice!!

Do you know what method they used to modify the mags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
The Savage mags are known to sometimes have issues with the feed lips. Quite a few competitors at Timberwolves 22 matches have since modified their mags to make sure they are reliable.