Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 07-09-2012, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right to Bear Arms View Post
Danke Das Boost ! Cool seeing an alternative to the " Tech Sights. " I guess all I will need for Appleseed is another mag, ( btw, someone please let me know how those are working out ), a sling, and tech sights as scopes are not allowed.

per my last range report: I noticed that all my FTF, FTE only happened with the Winchester as was reported on pg 57, I believe. When I used the CCI mini's no problems at all.

Tonight, I will use Windex on the bore, Hoppes to clean the internals, and CLP to lube internals.

I bet it's the ammo. CCI Mini Mags are the best!

Go Marlin 795!

RBA
No problem at all! No problem being the guinea pig for $10! Mags are now available and seem to be working well. No other issues reported other than the ones a few pages back. CDNN, MidwayUSA, et al have them in stock. Again, MiniMags are
REDACTED
Old 07-09-2012, 3:54 PM

Ricky Ray: I'd like to know what kind of ammo pouch that is as well. I have an Allen pouch for my 91/30 and it holds 9 rounds of 7.62x54r but it's mainly for looks unless you're developing a sniper platform. Then single cartridge loading makes as much sense as stripper clips. What brand is that?

DB: Yeah, Mini's rule. I stopped by Wallyworld Foothill for lunch today and they were out so I picked up a couple boxes of CCI Stingers for the wheel gun.
Old 07-09-2012, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Ricky Ray: I'd like to know what kind of ammo pouch that is as well. I have an Allen pouch for my 91/30 and it holds 9 rounds of 7.62x54r but it's mainly for looks unless you're developing a sniper platform. Then single cartridge loading makes as much sense as stripper clips. What brand is that?

DB: Yeah, Mini's rule. I stopped by Wallyworld Foothill for lunch today and they were out so I picked up a couple boxes of CCI Stingers for the wheel gun.
As far as the ammo pouch goes, making one shouldn't require too much of an investment. Elastic/spandex band to conform to the stock, elastic strips to hold the magazines, and maybe sew some batting/fleece on to the backside for a cheek pad.

I've been looking at 22lr wheelguns, but last night a Beretta Cheetah caught my eye. Has a very Miami Vice feel to it and its not even nickel-plated!

@RBA: Your PM is replied to.
REDACTED

Last edited by DasBoost; 07-09-2012 at 7:58 PM..
Old 07-09-2012, 9:04 PM

Greetings 795 Gang,

This is an informative link that's meant to stir the espirit de corps for those of us who need it. If you don't need a cheerleader for your rifle then enjoy the tidbits. I wish nutnfancy spent more time on the take down and subsequent cleaning but we can't everything we want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUb2_sWorE

DasBoost knows that I just ordered 3 CDNN mags for the 795. I'll let you guys know how they work out. I'm sure it will be fine. I've also made the decision tonight to shoot CCI Mini's exclusively for this rifle. I just despise the thought of any other ammo jamming the gun.

To conclude, if you want a value based platform to practice your marksmanship skills which translate to the bigger calibers as well... this is it. Substance over Style, I say.

RBA

DB: Wheel guns are great ! personally, I spoil my wheel gun with CCI Stingers but it shoots all the other ammo makes with no issues. Miami Vice was a cool show, btw.
Old 07-09-2012, 9:04 PM

Greetings 795 Gang,

This is an informative link that's meant to stir the espirit de corps for those of us who need it. If you don't need a cheerleader for your rifle then enjoy the tidbits. I wish nutnfancy spent more time on the take down and subsequent cleaning but we can't everything we want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzUb2_sWorE

DasBoost knows that I just ordered 3 CDNN mags for the 795. I'll let you guys know how they work out. I'm sure it will be fine. I've also made the decision tonight to shoot CCI Mini's exclusively for this rifle. I just despise the thought of any other ammo jamming the gun.

To conclude, if you want a value based platform to practice your marksmanship skills which translate to the bigger calibers as well... this is it. Substance over Style, I say.

RBA

DB: Wheel guns are great ! personally, I spoil my wheel gun with CCI Stingers but it shoots all the other ammo makes with no issues. Miami Vice was a cool show, btw.
Old 07-10-2012, 1:16 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Take an Allen rifle cartridge shell holder and cut the stitching off of every other one. Basically you cut the stitching so two shell holders will be wide enough to hold the 795 mag. In the end you will have enough slots to hold 4 mags. That's all there is to it.

"If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you." - Randy Paush, Carnegie Mellon University

Old 07-10-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky-Ray View Post
Take an Allen rifle cartridge shell holder and cut the stitching off of every other one. Basically you cut the stitching so two shell holders will be wide enough to hold the 795 mag. In the end you will have enough slots to hold 4 mags. That's all there is to it.
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 7:13 PM

Default More Mags Available

http://www.calssportingarmory.com/Ma...gmar707135.htm
Old 07-13-2012, 7:18 PM

Good Evening Marlin 795 crowd,

Update: I ordered 3 mags from CDNN on Tuesday and got em at lunch today. I tried em out after work at the new range in Stanton and they did very well as expected.

I also ordered the USGI Green nylon sling from Appleseed. Next up 1.25" swivels from either Uncle Mike's or Blackhawk if anyone want to chime in on either or both.

No range report pictures yet. I'm either too cheap to get a camera or I'd rather use every last disposable dollar on Ammo and Gun accessories. take your pick.

here we go.

200 rds. of CCI Mini Mags @ 25 yds. 2 inch groups. Easily, with factory sights. Not too shabby, Marlin. As expected, the rounds went through clean, No FTF, FTE.

100 rds of Bulk Blazer @ 25 yds. 2.5 inch groups. 3 FTF, FTE. 1 of the rounds got wedged in that groove to the left of the barrel. " has anyone had that happen? "

The Blazer is dirty a#$ ammo.

50 rds of Remington Thunderbolt. 2 FTF, FTE. Again 1 rd wedged in the groove left of the barrel. released the mag, put the rifle on safety, and pryed it out.

Terrific.

Heritage Rough Rider Six Shooter: 50 rds of CCI Stingers @ 10 yds. 4 inch groups, center mass.

Summary: Marlin recommends CCI Mini Mags and that's the stuff to use. I've proved to myself twice now. CDNN is an excellent company. Prices are reasonable and they are damn fast.

Field Time is a decent range. If you work nearby, you can get the $10 lunch special.
No steel core, milsurp ammo though. For the Russian fans.

Enjoy the weekend, See Ya !
Old 07-19-2012, 12:41 AM

Local Turners has Marlin Mags back in stock. I bought up a few but left behind at least 20. Good to see the manufacture embargo has been lifted. Paid $15 for each, but had them in hand walking out.
Old 07-19-2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchIsland.com View Post
Local Turners has Marlin Mags back in stock. I bought up a few but left behind at least 20. Good to see the manufacture embargo has been lifted. Paid $15 for each, but had them in hand walking out.
Not a bad price at at all considering the one I picked up at Big5 was 17.99 and the ones I got on MidwayUSA were 18.50.

Also, I kind of fell off the face of the earth with work, but I am going to the range today and will be taking the MArlin and giving impressions and reviews on the new OEM+ sight setup.
REDACTED
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did the Nutnfancy trigger job, got a new wide trigger and upgraded guard, charging handle, bipod, UTG one piece mount with bushnell 3-9x. Wow. Beyond words how impressed I am by that little guy. Could pick off chunks of clay pigeons on the 100yd berm with ease. No recoil. I am in love! This thread made me fall in love with my 795.

Gonna sand the stock down to freefloat the barrel this weekend.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Did the Nutnfancy trigger job, got a new wide trigger and upgraded guard, charging handle, bipod, UTG one piece mount with bushnell 3-9x. Wow. Beyond words how impressed I am by that little guy. Could pick off chunks of clay pigeons on the 100yd berm with ease. No recoil. I am in love! This thread made me fall in love with my 795.

Gonna sand the stock down to freefloat the barrel this weekend.
Old 07-19-2012, 5:03 PM

DB: I want to see that range report. Hopefully, with photos. Welcome back.

IBkickinit: Good to have you onboard. I'm a nutnfancy fan as well. Please keep us posted on your achievements with that scope on the 795.

See yah!
Old 07-19-2012, 8:59 PM

Quote:
DB: I want to see that range report. Hopefully, with photos. Welcome back.

IBkickinit: Good to have you onboard. I'm a nutnfancy fan as well. Please keep us posted on your achievements with that scope on the 795.

See yah!
RBA: I went to the range BUT didn't bring the Marlin; brought the M&P45 instead as the trip was mainly for my mom to practice and to provide an introduction to her friend to firearms and shooting (after an intro and safety session yesterday). I have failed the 795 thread but think I redeemed myself by bringing another soccer-mom over to the pro-2A side.

EDIT: It's good to be back on CG; a lot of lurking in what little downtime I've had but no real posting.
REDACTED
Old 07-19-2012, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoost View Post
RBA: I went to the range BUT didn't bring the Marlin; brought the M&P45 instead as the trip was mainly for my mom to practice and to provide an introduction to her friend to firearms and shooting (after an intro and safety session yesterday). I have failed the 795 thread but think I redeemed myself by bringing another soccer-mom over to the pro-2A side.

EDIT: It's good to be back on CG; a lot of lurking in what little downtime I've had but no real posting.
DB: Ah, that's a good chess move if you think about it. Sacrificing the M795 practice for M&P45 with your mom whom you brought into our crusade! Bravo ! One sacrifice to help win the game.

Send me a PM on that sidearm. As we are in holy ground in this thread.

RBA
Old 07-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
DB: Ah, that's a good chess move if you think about it. Sacrificing the M795 practice for M&P45 with your mom whom you brought into our crusade! Bravo ! One sacrifice to help win the game.

Send me a PM on that sidearm. As we are in holy ground in this thread.

RBA
My mom already owns her own pistol, M&P9C; it was her friend that was brought into the fold.

As far as 795s, my boresnake is impossible to get through the barrel; I've used it on 10/22s, Savages, and even AR-style .22s and it works fine. Could it be because there's not a lot of ammo down my barrel and it's new? I feel like that's the obvious answer but not sure.
REDACTED
Old 07-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Doesn't seem right DasBoost. If anything, if you are thinking of a build-up issue, it'd work best when there were not a lot of rounds down the barrel. Is it the Viper boresnake or the regular?
Old 07-20-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
Doesn't seem right DasBoost. If anything, if you are thinking of a build-up issue, it'd work best when there were not a lot of rounds down the barrel. Is it the Viper boresnake or the regular?
The Hoppe's boresnake. Have one for my .223/5.56, 9mm, and .22lr. I double-checked to make sure I wasn't using the .223 one and I wasn't. I broke down the Marlin and looked down the barrel with a light and nothing was fouling or blocking the barrel. Only 100rds or so through it; accurate, used only MiniMags...
REDACTED
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

What caliber boresnake are you trying to use then? The .22 cal one is for, well, .22 cal firearms. .22LR and .223 are both .22 cal firearms. I use the same one on both.
EDIT: What I'm getting at is, Hoppe's only makes a .22 cal boresnake; they don't have a .22LR or .223 specific one.

Last edited by roushstage2; 07-20-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-20-2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
What caliber boresnake are you trying to use then? The .22 cal one is for, well, .22 cal firearms. .22LR and .223 are both .22 cal firearms. I use the same one on both.
EDIT: What I'm getting at is, Hoppe's only makes a .22 cal boresnake; they don't have a .22LR or .223 specific one.
Then my .223/5.56 boresnake must not be Hoppe's. I'm using the .22 one because it's the Hoppe's one because of the color difference, the Hoppe's is green and the other it red/blue. I figured they'd work in both, but got one for the Marlin seeing as how dirty it gets and how easily it accumulates.

EDIT: Noticed that the Viper boresnakes are by Hoppe's as well. My .22 green one is a regular Hoppe's, not the Viper.
REDACTED
Old 07-20-2012, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

It's supposed to be tight.
Oil it, wrap it around your hand a couple of times for a good grip and pull steadily.
It can't be too tight because it's new!
PS Make sure it's not hung up on anything in the receiver, like the extractor.

Last edited by otteray; 07-20-2012 at 7:48 PM..
Old 07-20-2012, 8:51 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
As far as 795s, my boresnake is impossible to get through the barrel; I've used it on 10/22s, Savages, and even AR-style .22s and it works fine. Could it be because there's not a lot of ammo down my barrel and it's new? I feel like that's the obvious answer but not sure.
Maybe the microgroove barrel has less excess space than your ballard rifled barrels, would be a very small difference but could be enough to produce enough extra friction for a tight fit.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Then my .223/5.56 boresnake must not be Hoppe's. I'm using the .22 one because it's the Hoppe's one because of the color difference, the Hoppe's is green and the other it red/blue. I figured they'd work in both, but got one for the Marlin seeing as how dirty it gets and how easily it accumulates.

EDIT: Noticed that the Viper boresnakes are by Hoppe's as well. My .22 green one is a regular Hoppe's, not the Viper.
Yeah, the .22 cal Hoppe's Boresnake is green and brown. The Viper ones suck; don't get one.
EDIT: Looked up the boresnakes, and the red and blue one is for: 6mm .240 .243 .244 Caliber Rifles. Too big for .22 cal.

Last edited by roushstage2; 07-21-2012 at 12:27 AM..
Old 07-21-2012, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
It's supposed to be tight.
Oil it, wrap it around your hand a couple of times for a good grip and pull steadily.
It can't be too tight because it's new!
PS Make sure it's not hung up on anything in the receiver, like the extractor.
Brass weight doesn't even come out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
Maybe the microgroove barrel has less excess space than your ballard rifled barrels, would be a very small difference but could be enough to produce enough extra friction for a tight fit.
Brass weight won't come out and there are no obstructions or fouling as I can go through with a cleaning rod/patch just fine...

Quote:
Yeah, the .22 cal Hoppe's Boresnake is green and brown. The Viper ones suck; don't get one.
EDIT: Looked up the boresnakes, and the red and blue one is for: 6mm .240 .243 .244 Caliber Rifles. Too big for .22 cal.
I'm trying to find the box now, I'm not sure if it's Hoppe's or not, I'm leaning towards no because I own nothing in those calibers...

Guess I'll have to stick to rod and patch.
REDACTED
Old 07-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Are you saying the green .22 cal boresnake isn't working either (the one you know is the .22 Hoppe's one)?
Old 07-21-2012, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Are you saying the green .22 cal boresnake isn't working either (the one you know is the .22 Hoppe's one)?
Yup. The one I know is for .22, the brass weight gets caught somewhere in the barrel, my guess is about halfway down and wont go farther; looking down the barrel, no burrs/flashing/etc and the rod and patch go through just fine...
REDACTED
Old 07-21-2012, 3:50 PM
Veteran Member

Is the weight maybe deformed in some manner making it catch? I always have to lift my rifles up so the barrel faces down and feed the string otherwise the weight won't go all the way down the barrel. The string will just bunch up.
Old 07-21-2012, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Is the weight maybe deformed in some manner making it catch? I always have to lift my rifles up so the barrel faces down and feed the string otherwise the weight won't go all the way down the barrel. The string will just bunch up.
No deformations or weird spots on it. It gets halfway down the barrel, holding the rifle muzzle pointing down and feeding from the chamber. It is the most confusing d@mn thing...
REDACTED
Old 07-21-2012, 7:00 PM
Veteran Member

Tie a piece of fishing line or something to the end and give a tug.
Old 07-21-2012, 7:57 PM

Thumbs up D'oh!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otteray View Post
Tie a piece of fishing line or something to the end and give a tug.
I feel like a f****ng moron for not thinking of that. Thank you!
REDACTED
Old 07-22-2012, 8:02 PM

I finally got to shoot my marlin back from service. No amount of polishing was helping my jam 'o matic. Turns out I had a bad extractor and ejector. Out of about 350 rounds I got about 5 failure to fires, no more stovepipes or FTE. I can finally go through a mag without a malfunction
Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
I finally got to shoot my marlin back from service. No amount of polishing was helping my jam 'o matic. Turns out I had a bad extractor and ejector. Out of about 350 rounds I got about 5 failure to fires, no more stovepipes or FTE. I can finally go through a mag without a malfunction
That sounds like a definite improvement!!
REDACTED
Old 07-23-2012, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone selling tech sights or know where to get them cheaper than full price?
Old 07-23-2012, 8:31 PM
Veteran Member

Watch the classifieds and eBay.
Old 07-23-2012, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
Anyone selling tech sights or know where to get them cheaper than full price?
Used; otherwise, full price is all there is.
REDACTED
Old 07-23-2012, 8:39 PM
Veteran Member

I don't mind used. I just need them for Appleseed.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 AM
Veteran Member

DasBoost- you ever get that boresnake to work?
Old 07-24-2012, 9:14 AM

Quote:
DasBoost- you ever get that boresnake to work?
Used the fishing line tied to brass weight and pulled it through- what a tough b***h to get through; it was snug to say the least.
REDACTED
Old 07-24-2012, 2:02 PM
Veteran Member

Huh, weird! At least you got it figured out though!