Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
You'll only need 2 magazines and you won't be able to use the bipod at Appleseed. But, nice set up.
Everyone I've ever heard from after a AS said the more mags the better. Sure during a qual stage you may only need two but if you have two more you are set up for the next stage and don't have to ruin your groove by reloading inbetween.

I'm sure he knows there's no bipods, mine runs a bipod too but that will come off for AS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
I will clean and wipe it down again. I used 800 grit wet sand paper with CLP as my lube, then wiped it down. The inside of my receiver had all this black flaky paint. My bolt has tons of machine marks and gouges also. I have a dremel and some polish compound but shouldn't be somewhat smooth first before trying to 'polish' it?
Makes sense, I just wanted to make sure you where not chasing it with 150 grit hah!
I wouldn't worry about the bolt marks sadly current QC doesn't care what the back of the bolt looks like.
I agree get the paint out of the inside (I hear a brillo pad is good for that but never done it)
Run the rifle pretty much dry. All I use is CLP with a tooth brush for cleaning and then it is wiped dry.

You can polish your bolt and feed ramp, personally I use semi-chrome but I hear good stuff about automotive polish.
Just don't go crazy on it.

Goodluck!
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!

Last edited by Chaos47; 06-19-2012 at 11:01 PM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo6cavedog View Post
You'll only need 2 magazines and you won't be able to use the bipod at Appleseed. But, nice set up.
Echo6CharleyDelta: For clarification, can we use scopes for AS? I'm left with the impression that scopes are out in favor of Tech Sights.

Rickey Ray: Nice Set up, indeed.

Das Boost: Exactly, Appleseed in the schools.

I'll see all of you gung ho 795'ers @ AS.

R.B.A.
Old 06-20-2012, 9:09 AM
Calguns Addict

RBA you can use scopes, default sites, techsites, fiber optic sites, probably even red dots (but that would probably not be the most beneficial.)

As I've said before the AS training is biased off WW2 training. That is why a lot of people say get tech sites as they mimic sites of that time.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:16 AM

ugh.. I'm still having problems with my marlin. I only had winchester stuff with me this time but it was a malfunction every mag. I tried to download mags and I get a malfunction. Loosened the 2 takedown screws... malfunction. Seems like the most common malfunction on my gun is failure to fire. After that, it wont freakin extract most of the time when I rack the bolt so I have to dig it out with my knife.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Shh... Just let it happen
CGN Contributor

Like Chaos said, you can use whatever will get you on target. The key is consistency with the AQT.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigma6 View Post
ugh.. I'm still having problems with my marlin. I only had winchester stuff with me this time but it was a malfunction every mag. I tried to download mags and I get a malfunction. Loosened the 2 takedown screws... malfunction. Seems like the most common malfunction on my gun is failure to fire. After that, it wont freakin extract most of the time when I rack the bolt so I have to dig it out with my knife.
sigma6 have you modified any of your springs and thats what could be causing issues?

Are you sure all your springs are installed correctly?

Old 06-20-2012, 3:41 PM

WOOOWWW. I got an email this morning from cheaper than dirt that Marlin mags were back in stock but had to rush to work. Just got back and tried to order, wiped out.
Old 06-20-2012, 4:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Question This may not belong here

So, I shot a friends Marlin 60 a few weeks ago, and since I don't care for tube fed 22's, I've decided to try and find a good deal on a used or new Marlin 795.

If I DO get a chance to check out a used 795 for sale, what should I be looking for? Things that could be a problem.

If it has a scope, which are better, and which are no-no's?

And lastly, if anyone has a lead on a used one or a great deal on a new one, a PM would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Old 06-20-2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouchIsland.com View Post
WOOOWWW. I got an email this morning from cheaper than dirt that Marlin mags were back in stock but had to rush to work. Just got back and tried to order, wiped out.
I ordered some from work, glad I did but hopefully they will come back again.

Last edited by sharkforce; 06-20-2012 at 4:56 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 8:27 PM

Ordered from PSA today and got 1400rds of 22 plus other ammo and goodies. The MiniMags in 36gr HP work well but I also picked up some 40gr solid-nose as well to see how the heavier rounds do.

Also, my mom, who has had multiple back and shoulder surgeries, was fearful of shooting the Mini and flat-out refused to shoot the K31 BUT loves the Marlin!! Zombie Osama had eyes and a smiley face put on him courtesy of her. She said it's a great rifle and I wish I had saved the target.

Marlin: Keep up the good work
REDACTED

Last edited by DasBoost; 06-20-2012 at 8:31 PM..
Old 06-20-2012, 8:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Hah! You definitely should have saved her target... maybe even got it framed for her!

Old 06-20-2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Hah! You definitely should have saved her target... maybe even got it framed for her!
Funny you say that; the target of her shooting her M&P9C after she picked it up is laminated and hanging on the back door. Her first mags through her first firearm purchase, couldn't be prouder. Next time though, I'll get pictures of a silhouette with a grin on its face.
REDACTED
Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM

Has anyone ordered mags off Amazon? $18.87 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/MARLIN-10RD-22...s=795+magazine
Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
sigma6 have you modified any of your springs and thats what could be causing issues?

Are you sure all your springs are installed correctly?
No mods to springs didn't even touch them except for the recoil one during cleaning. No kinks or cuts on any springs. I am thinking about sending it back to marlin to see what they can do.
Old 06-21-2012, 1:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Strange, sorry

Old 06-21-2012, 6:45 AM

How much is everyone getting their 795 for? I am interested but I can be patient since I have a lot of new toys...
Old 06-21-2012, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Lower cost alternative to the Tech Sights, while not a full-on aperture setup, is this upgraded Marlin unit here.
Anyone have these? Pics of their rifle wearing them? My rear sight is actually bent to one side... ha! This is much cheaper than the tech sights.

Quote:
Then you can use a real sling. If you ever plan on doing Appleseed get 1.25" swivles so you can get a GI sling http://www.cdnninvestments.com/m1greenwebne.html
Have this sling and its waaaaay too stiff. Can't even really close the clasp. Plus the open end sometimes just slips off. Any alternative?
Old 06-21-2012, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairB View Post

Those are sold through a 3rd party; I believe it might be OpticsPlanet judging by the name. Want to play guinea pig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedAle View Post
How much is everyone getting their 795 for? I am interested but I can be patient since I have a lot of new toys...
I wanted one that second (best impulse buy ever) and supported my local gun store so I paid about $190 OTD and there was no rebate at the time. Big5 was cheaper but they're usually a last resort for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Anyone have these? Pics of their rifle wearing them? My rear sight is actually bent to one side... ha! This is much cheaper than the tech sights.
No real reviews are posted; most threads involving that part are about how to get the original ladder/dovetail setup out and the new one on. As far as being bent, do you mean canted or skewed or is it as if the dovetail itself is slanted?
REDACTED
Old 06-21-2012, 9:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoost View Post
Those are sold through a 3rd party; I believe it might be OpticsPlanet judging by the name. Want to play guinea pig?
Hey I have bought this magazine. Works well.

Quote:
No real reviews are posted; most threads involving that part are about how to get the original ladder/dovetail setup out and the new one on. As far as being bent, do you mean canted or skewed or is it as if the dovetail itself is slanted?
The sight is skewed to one side. Dovetail looks fine so its as if the actual sight is just tweaked.

For the price I guess its worth a shot since my rear sight needs replacing anyway.

Last edited by JCM; 06-21-2012 at 9:09 AM.. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 06-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Not my photos found em off google

I'd say go for it, maybe you can get some extra recoil springs or buffers from them at the same time.

Btw supposedly if you call them after hours and listen to the recorded message they say a code to get free shipping off the website (changes daily)

Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Waiting out my B5 Marlin 795. I purchased it for my nephew who is 13 and it will be used for target/plinking and gound squirrel abatement. I bought this scope for it but I have read that most of the rings that come with cheap scopes suck so what should rings should I get?

I'm also looking for an inexpensive bipod for it. So far I've seen the NcStar, Champion Targets, and a winchester at Wally World in my price range. Any of these to avoid? Are any of the cheap bipods markedly better than the others?

Last edited by kiksroks; 06-21-2012 at 11:31 AM..
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCM View Post
Hey I have bought this magazine. Works well.
The sight is skewed to one side. Dovetail looks fine so its as if the actual sight is just tweaked.

For the price I guess its worth a shot since my rear sight needs replacing anyway.
I wasn't doubting the quality of the mag, I'm just wary of 3rd parties on Amazon; I've gotten burned twice and it just left me with reservations. Got my money back, but would have much rather had the product.

As far as the sight, I'd say go for the upgraded sight, as the stock sight I really don't like. Plus, for 10 bucks plus shipping, it really can't be that bad; if it is, not much lost and lesson learned.
REDACTED
Old 06-21-2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I placed an order for 1, we will see how it is!
Old 06-21-2012, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiksroks View Post
I'm also looking for an inexpensive bipod for it. So far I've seen the NcStar, Champion Targets, and a winchester at Wally World in my price range. Any of these to avoid? Are any of the cheap bipods markedly better than the others?
This one is solid, light weight and cheap. Even comes with hardware to mount it on your swivel stud.

TL-BP69ST Claw foot
TL-BP69S Rubber foot (the one I run)

Old 06-21-2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairB View Post

Ordered six of them when I bought my rifles. They are a little tight at first but smooth out after use.
Old 06-22-2012, 7:59 PM

Greetings 795'ers,

I have a question for all the Marlin owners who have been shooting this rifle for over a year or so. After each trip to the range, do you do a full take down of the 795 and then oil the internal parts ? ( along with cleaning the bore ). Or is that a monthly maintenance check?

Just curious, because I don't want to overdo anything, period. Good or bad.

Is it possible to just run a bore brush through the barrel and just lightly oil the exposed bolt assembly?

Thanks for your time and enjoy the 795 !

R.B.A.
Old 06-22-2012, 8:07 PM

3k rounds later and I have yet to clean it once. Eats CCI Blazer bulk all day long.
Ymmv
Old 06-22-2012, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHighSierra View Post
3k rounds later and I have yet to clean it once. Eats CCI Blazer bulk all day long.
Ymmv
Serious, CAHighSierra?...

if so, lol. Anyone else want to share their cleaning routine for the 795?

This account makes me think the gun can be run like a Russian Milsurp!

R.B.A.
Old 06-22-2012, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

1k and maybe ill clean it. I use dirty bulk
Old 06-22-2012, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right to Bear Arms View Post
Greetings 795'ers,

I have a question for all the Marlin owners who have been shooting this rifle for over a year or so. After each trip to the range, do you do a full take down of the 795 and then oil the internal parts ? ( along with cleaning the bore ). Or is that a monthly maintenance check?

Just curious, because I don't want to overdo anything, period. Good or bad.

Is it possible to just run a bore brush through the barrel and just lightly oil the exposed bolt assembly?

Thanks for your time and enjoy the 795 !

R.B.A.
Only put about 100rds through mine but no full takedown yet, just cleaner on bolt and bolt-face and boresnake down the barrel, then clean/wipe down and lube. After I polish the receiver and bolt, I will do a more thorough cleaning.
REDACTED
Old 06-22-2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Serious, CAHighSierra?...

if so, lol. Anyone else want to share their cleaning routine for the 795?

This account makes me think the gun can be run like a Russian Milsurp!

R.B.A.
Yup, im lazy if im not workin. Besides, it has only malfunctioned on me with remington bulk and I wanna see how long it takes for the Blazer gum it up.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:55 PM

DasBoost: Your avatar, hahaha !

Well, I guess this rifle runs like a M91/30.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
DasBoost: Your avatar, hahaha !

Well, I guess this rifle runs like a M91/30.
Glad you like it! I thought it was funny, but I'm hoping I don't get a time-out for it.

I wouldn't compare it to a Mosin as rimfires are dirty as h**l. I can shoot 100rds through my Mini and run a boresnake through it once and I'm good. 100rds of MiniMags in the Marlin? Easily 10 mins of scrubbing and cleaning. Hahaha.
REDACTED
Old 06-23-2012, 11:28 AM

If you insist on behaving like this young man. You will get a time out right here in Disneyland while all your friends enjoy themselves. lmao.

You got good taste in rifles. 795, 91/30's, Mini's, etc. But now the litmus test. What do you think of the M1 Garand?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 AM

If you insist on behaving like this young man. You will get a time out right here in Disneyland while all your friends enjoy themselves. lmao.

You got good taste in rifles. 795, 91/30's, Mini's, etc. But now the litmus test. What do you think of the M1 Garand?
Old 06-23-2012, 11:41 AM

Gentlemen, is anyone shooting today?

We've got Great weather for showing off what you can do with a Marlin 795 at an outdoor range. If so, please share pics, range reports, etc.
Old 06-23-2012, 5:35 PM

Quote:

I personally think the avatar is hilarious, but I can see where someone might find it a tad too off-color for a public forum. Already had a 5-day timeout/ban from the Elections forum after another member and I weren't seeing eye to eye.

I own the 795, M&P45FS, 581 Mini (Soon to have a Vintage Weaver K3 60 on it), and a 1941 K31, but no Mosin; I think the K31 would spoil me, plus the local Big 5 has some beaters and I need to get on my 03FFL paperwork to get some of the nicer ones. As far as garands go, I want two: One in 30-06 and one of the CMP Specials with the 308 Criterion Stainless barrel.

Quote:

We've got Great weather for showing off what you can do with a Marlin 795 at an outdoor range. If so, please share pics, range reports, etc.
No. At work; however, getting paid while sitting on CG is a close second to being at the range.

@JCM: Regarding the upgraded Marlin sight I linked to earlier, I just put in an order for 1 today with some other small bits. Pictures, thoughts, and hopefully a range report soon.
REDACTED
Old 06-23-2012, 6:14 PM

Quote:

Not today, im in Vegas en route to Lake Powell UT. My marlin will get a good workout when I get back home
Old 06-23-2012, 8:14 PM

Quote:
I personally think the avatar is hilarious, but I can see where someone might find it a tad too off-color for a public forum. Already had a 5-day timeout/ban from the Elections forum after another member and I weren't seeing eye to eye.

I own the 795, M&P45FS, 581 Mini (Soon to have a Vintage Weaver K3 60 on it), and a 1941 K31, but no Mosin; I think the K31 would spoil me, plus the local Big 5 has some beaters and I need to get on my 03FFL paperwork to get some of the nicer ones. As far as garands go, I want two: One in 30-06 and one of the CMP Specials with the 308 Criterion Stainless barrel.

No. At work; however, getting paid while sitting on CG is a close second to being at the range.

@JCM: Regarding the upgraded Marlin sight I linked to earlier, I just put in an order for 1 today with some other small bits. Pictures, thoughts, and hopefully a range report soon.
Yeah, I think the avatar is alright. After all, we can't be too serious about being politically correct or we'll find that we don't stand for anything at all.

Let's see a pic of that 581 mini ! I like the Swiss K31, bro. How does it shoot? Finally, agreed on M1 Garand. Priority is on getting a .30-06. Then, fill in with subsequent rifle in .308. ( That'll be the daily driver, per se. )
Old 06-23-2012, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHighSierra View Post
Not today, im in Vegas en route to Lake Powell UT. My marlin will get a good workout when I get back home
Good trip, CAHighSierra.

I started the day checking out collectible coins in Laguna Beach and finished the day with the old lady in Disney's Wally World buying ..... no surprise.

Ammo for the Marlin 795! haha. I've never shot the following but tell me your thoughts on:

100 x 2 rds of CCI Mini Mags ( as i've learned that Hyper Velocity Stingers are not right for this rifle. )

50 x 2 rds of Remington Thunderbolt.

Finally, I passed on the 22LR Remington Golden Bullet @ WallyWorld but has anyone shot that thru the 795? How did it do? It's 225 rds for 9.97

Enjoy the Balance of the weekend,

R.B.A.