Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-07-2012, 1:35 PM

speaking of rebates, anyone know if marlin will be having a new one for 2012?
Old 02-07-2012, 1:38 PM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

i hope they can get it down to $99.
Old 02-07-2012, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcircles View Post
Thank you both! Also, I have not heard of GunGenie, thank you!
Let me know what prices you find! I'm thinking maybe we can get some people into a local group buy and see if they can give us a discount? I'm shooting for a price of $120 ($100 after rebate)
Old 02-07-2012, 3:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 916Bobby View Post
Let me know what prices you find! I'm thinking maybe we can get some people into a local group buy and see if they can give us a discount? I'm shooting for a price of $120 ($100 after rebate)
Rebate is over. It's unknown if they will run it again this year
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 02-07-2012, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Rebate is over. It's unknown if they will run it again this year
Really? wow, I didn't know that!
Good to know, thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 3:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I completely forgot about the rebate, which I sent in months ago. Hmmm..

rebate tracking site:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Rebate...s_fall2011.asp

It shows my submission is now being "processed". Well, at least they didn't send the rebate and I threw it away with the junk mail!

Last edited by Lead Waster; 02-08-2012 at 3:21 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 9:19 AM

I kept close track on (2) 795 rebates, and they were marked as "mailed out" exactly 21 days from the time they first showed as "being processed." Depending on how long it has shown as "processed," you shouldn't have too long of a wait.
Old 02-09-2012, 3:17 PM

Default How do you make Marlin 795 magazines drop free?

Been thinking of taking an Appleseed class again. I recalled from my first class how many quick magazine changes were required (I shot an AK47 the first time and didn't do too well ). But my 795 magazines are hard to remove and they take a good tug before they come out.

Is there a way I can make my magazines drop free when I press the mag release? If I sand or file the magazine well at the friction marks, is there much risk of introducing a magazine misalignment to cause a failure to feed?

Is there a larger magazine release lever available for the 795?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2012, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

You can sand and polish the magazine well. (Don't go too crazy I would imagine it could cause feeding issues if its too loose)
You can very very slightly sand the magazine bump on the back where the release contacts it.
You can very very slightly bend the release to make it require a tiny bit less force.

I doubt any of those things will ever make it actually drop free.

Some people put pull (tape / paracord) loops on them to help remove them.

Maybe you could hit the well and the top of the magazines with dry silicon lube?

There is no larger release on the market. (I have a couple designs in my head but I doubt I will ever make them)

If you look at the piece you will find it is actually both the magazine release and also the ejector.

The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 02-09-2012, 3:53 PM

The 795 was my very first gun, got it at the crossroads of the west in SD. Absolutely love it, crisp trigger, like clicking a mouse and the ati stock makes it super fun to shoot.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2012, 9:13 AM

Got one of these in jail as of yesterday afternoon. Can't wait
Old 02-13-2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
You can sand and polish the magazine well. (Don't go too crazy I would imagine it could cause feeding issues if its too loose)
You can very very slightly sand the magazine bump on the back where the release contacts it.
You can very very slightly bend the release to make it require a tiny bit less force.

I doubt any of those things will ever make it actually drop free.

Some people put pull (tape / paracord) loops on them to help remove them.

Maybe you could hit the well and the top of the magazines with dry silicon lube?

There is no larger release on the market. (I have a couple designs in my head but I doubt I will ever make them)

If you look at the piece you will find it is actually both the magazine release and also the ejector.
Much appreciated, Chaos!
Old 02-13-2012, 6:21 PM
Calguns Addict

No problem, Good luck if you decide to go ahead and try any of those mods

Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I shot a Ruger 10/22 for the first time yesterday and let me say that I'm glad I purchased the Marlin 795 as my first gun. It's form factor is better, easier to handle. The last shot bolt open feature is great. I could not get used to the Ruger not having that feature. The rifle is also dead accurate even in the hands of a novice like myself (okay largely because of the Eotech). I've owned the gun since August 2011 and I still love it.

Now I want some tech sights and more magazines

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Holy 5 multi post! lol

Glad you like your 795. I say the same things about the 10/22.

I love my Marlin!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Holy 5 multi post! lol

Glad you like your 795. I say the same things about the 10/22.

I love my Marlin!
Oh man talk about internet issues. I did not intend to quintuple post

It's really an awesome rifle for an awesome price. I'm surprised that magazines are hard to fine.

Quote:
The average Calgunner is afraid to scratch his gun; so I don't see the point to these torture tests.
Old 02-26-2012, 2:26 PM

Marlin 795 Review

This “project” started out with my friend and me looking into doing an Appleseed event. We both have ARs, and figured that with the cost of 5.56 ammo needed to shoot for the weekend, we could get ourselves .22 rifles and ammo. My friend found me a used 795 on Calguns (he wanted a 10/22), and so it began...

I found this thread, and others like it at rimfirecentral.com, and saw that even though the aftermarket for the 795 is limited, it still exists. The stock on the 795 made it feel cheap and toy-like; I wanted something more substantial. Boyd’s is the only commercial manufacturer putting out wood stocks right now. I ordered a Boyd’s Ross RVT during the 10-day wait. You all know that that those ten days drag on, so I also ended up purchasing a BSA Sweet 22 3-9x40, scope rings, sling swivels, and a sling from the Appleseed web store.

The day I picked up the rifle, I inlet the Boyd’s stock trigger guard area with a Dremel and chisels. Note that I have no woodworking experience aside from building a derby car when I was a cub scout some twenty years ago. This thread, along with rimfirecentral, provided great instructions and inspiration, and I was able to complete the inletting in just a little over two hours. I really should have taken more time, but I was in a rush to get the job done. (The random scrapes and gouges around the trigger guard now stand as a testament to my impatience.) I also drilled a set screw into the plastic trigger guard to act as an over-travel screw.

I took my new (to me) rifle to ASR and was immediately floored by how accurate it shot, once I got it zeroed. I tried zeroing at 25 yards, but did not see any hits on the target. The mounted BSA scope had to be way off, so I shot at the steel plate at 100 yards at 3x magnification to see the impact in the dirt backstop. It was off 2-3 feet to the right! Brought her in multiple clicks until she was hitting the steel plate, then went back to my 25 yard target to zero.

One issue that came up was that the last shot hold open (LSHO) feature never worked. LSHO functions with the OEM stock, so my guess is that the LSHO lever is rubbing up against the inside of the wooden stock, impeding the mechanism. I’ll have to check it out when I get some more time.

On the second range trip the following weekend, I picked up a box of Remington bulk (the one that comes with 525 rounds to a box). This is the ten round group the rifle is capable of at 25 yards, using cheap bulk ammo: (shot from the bench, using a backpack as support)

(Now that I think of it, maybe ammo quality doesn’t really matter at 25 yards. I’ll have to do some longer range shooting.)

The rifle performed so well, especially considering I’m the third owner and all internals are stock, that it seemed only right to get her some new jewelry (read: anodized trigger and trigger guard from DIP Inc.). I think that’s all the aftermarket parts available for this rifle, and I couldn’t be happier.

I spent about $400 on the rifle, scope, stock, trigger and trigger guard. With ammo ranging from $.04 (for bulk) to $.08 (for CCI Minimags), this beauty is bound to get lots more use than the AR. For anyone on the fence about buying one of these, the value and cost/fun ratio is incredible. Now let’s see what she can do at Appleseed...

Scope mini-review:

The BSA Sweet 22 worked well. It is clear, bright, and holds zero. The adjustable objective is a must for keeping the reticle clear at shorter ranges. My friend mounted a non-AO scope on his 10/22, and he has to shoot with a fuzzy reticle at 25 yards. The only minor hang up I have is with the elevation turret. It is marked as a bullet drop compesnator for three different .22 loads instead of having a more universal graduated elevation adjustment scale. The BDC marks on the turret didn’t really work all that well for the CCI ammo I was using. Aside from this, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this scope to anyone. Like the rifle, it was a great value -- they cost almost the same!
Old 02-26-2012, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Mango View Post
Marlin 795 Review Now let’s see what she can do at Appleseed...
Beautiful photography job, and nice shooting! Would love to see you make Rifleman at Appleseed....no bench shooting though! :-)
Old 02-26-2012, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Great looking rifle!
I love my Boyd's Tacticool! And my Girlfriend loves her Sky Blue Hunter / Target.

I really want to upgrade the trigger some day. But so far my tuned one is doing ok.

Old 03-02-2012, 9:22 AM
.22LR Riffle
CGN Contributor

My latest Marlin 795 dress up kits

Barrett M99, TAR21, Vietnam M60 Long, L85

Old 03-02-2012, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Defcon - You've got cool tacticools. How about seeing them in action?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM

Well shot mine the first time this weekend! What a blast! But I did run into some issues. For this trip I was just breaking in everything. It shoots about 1/2"-1" right. No biggie there for now. Now the problem I was having was with cci mini mags. I had about 4-5 delayed fire rounds and only 1 ftf. This happened within the first 30-40 rounds. It did not happen later so I confirmed ammo issue. After 100 mini mags I switched over to federal bulk hp. I had only one ftfeed (stove piped) and the bolt almost punctured the case. Clear it out and kep on shooting around another 100 rounds. No problems after that. After about 250-350 rounds I decided to call it a day as it started to feel gritty.

Me and my fiencee left with smiles ear to ear! What a blast! This trip was really fun!

A few things I noticed (some my mistakes):
They don't like to much oil
I should have removed and polished the overspray inside the receiver
I didn't have time to buy any more mags my thumb was sore!

Don't go to the range when it's overcrowded and with tons of first time shooters

Tech-sights will be ordered (hard as heck for me to see) and I will go in to have my eyes checked and new glasses ordered LOL

We had tons of fun with this little .22! So much that I might purchase another!
There's danger lurking around every corner, that's why I propose we make all of our buildings round.
Old 03-05-2012, 1:16 AM

Im about 700 rounds in on my new 795. The first time I brought it out, I kept getting FTL's. Completely stripped it, cleaned it and installed a new spring kit to lighten up trigger pull. Polished the feedramp a tad with the dremel (recomended by other 795 members).Put a cheap Simmons rimfire scope I got at the LGS for $10 clearance. Irons were shooting left, so drifted the rear sight.

On the next box of Federal Bulk, no FTL's but started getting FTE's. Approximately 7 FTE's. Got the scope sighted in, no signs of movement, thank you Loc-Tite blue.

I'll pick up a different brand of ammo and take out again and see what happens.
Old 03-05-2012, 9:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.primo View Post
Im about 700 rounds in on my new 795. The first time I brought it out, I kept getting FTL's. Completely stripped it, cleaned it and installed a new spring kit to lighten up trigger pull. Polished the feedramp a tad with the dremel (recomended by other 795 members)
Whose spring kit did you use? I'm looking to tweak my 795 as well.
Old 03-05-2012, 9:52 AM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by call-in View Post
From GunGenie:
  • METAL DOG
  • 10 - 8 POLICE SUPPLY
  • REED'S INDOOR RANGE
  • SPORTSMEN'S SUPPLY
  • TARGET MASTERS WEST
  • BAY AREA GUN VAULT
I asked the same question back in December and I used GunGenie and went with Reed's as my FFL. Unfortunately Reed's does NOT included DROS in their total. So I had to pony up another $30 to pick up my rifle. Total cost was almost $200. So check with the FFL before you order.

Big5 has them for $165 right now I believe and the Blossom Hill store had one last time I went in.
Old 03-05-2012, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude View Post
Check out MCARBO's spring kit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEs4jOd1lBI
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Check out MCARBO's spring kit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEs4jOd1lBI
Thanks. That's very cool. I like the price as well.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Today was payday! That means some bits for the Marlin are going to be ordered soon. Thinking DIP trigger/triggerguard, RimfireTech charging handle, KHS sling swivels, and more ammo. Then Tech Sights, USGI sling, and AQTs.
REDACTED
Old 03-07-2012, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude View Post
The Mcarbo kit
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Placed the orders for the parts. Then went on Gun Genie to pick up some of the 10rd mags, there were 19 available last night at 11pm; this morning: 0. Trying to decide whether to stick with the 2 round mags I have or pick up some of the 7 round mags as well. MidwayUSA pushed their backorder date back another 20days to the 26th now...
REDACTED
Old 03-08-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBoost View Post
Placed the orders for the parts. Then went on Gun Genie to pick up some of the 10rd mags, there were 19 available last night at 11pm; this morning: 0. Trying to decide whether to stick with the 2 round mags I have or pick up some of the 7 round mags as well. MidwayUSA pushed their backorder date back another 20days to the 26th now...
I just checked Midway. 10 round mags are back in stock.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/171...-nickel-plated

Get 'em while you can!
Old 03-08-2012, 6:41 PM

Quote:
I just checked Midway. 10 round mags are back in stock.

Get 'em while you can!
Thanks!!!! With shipping they came to be $22 a piece, but I need them... Thank goodness for payday, got 4. Well worth it though; you can fit 5 loaded mags in the buttstock of the 795s.

EDIT: The description says available, but my order says: "Date expected in stock: 3/28/2012" and "Backorder Subtotal: $XX.XX"

EDIT #2: Email from MidwayUSA confirmed the mags are backordered again.

EDIT #3: Clicked link again, says Out of Stock, Backorder OK, but said Available when they were added to cart and ordered (Ordered 2 mins before posting original post); guess I got the last ones.
REDACTED

Last edited by DasBoost; 03-08-2012 at 6:54 PM..
Old 03-09-2012, 5:26 PM

just drosed a marlin 795 yesterday ill post when i get it home
Old 03-09-2012, 10:44 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I managed to pick up two magazines from Big5 last weekend but I'm having a hard time getting the two mags into the well and taking them out. I have push them in and I literally have to pull with all my strength to get them out. How do I fix this ?? The mag that came with the rifle fits just fine. I never had a problem with it.

Quote:
Old 03-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

I managed to pick up two magazines from Big5 last weekend but I'm having a hard time getting the two mags into the well and taking them out. I have push them in and I literally have to pull with all my strength to get them out. How do I fix this ?? The mag that came with the rifle fits just fine. I never had a problem with it.

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
They will wear down with use. I got new mags for mine and they were tight at first but after 1500 rounds they've gotten a little looser. I think some people sand down the contact points a bit too.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Single stack pistol guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
They will wear down with use. I got new mags for mine and they were tight at first but after 1500 rounds they've gotten a little looser. I think some people sand down the contact points a bit too.
1500 rounds means I got a lot more work to do lol.

I've been just putting them in and taking them out. It might be a placebo effect but I think it's gotten a bit easier. The first time I put one of them in I thought it was going to get stuck for good unless I take the gun apart

Quote:
Old 03-10-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224 View Post
I had the same problem with a mag from Big 5. I bought 3 there with a coupon. 2 acted as the one that came with the rifle, but the 3rd was like as you say. I put it aside for the moment, but need to figure out why as I think maybe something to tweak with a pair of pliers. I think there's something wrong with the manufacturing but visually it looks the same. I think it is slightly off in the lips, width or something that is just causing it to hang which is why I basically have to yank it out.
Old 03-12-2012, 7:32 PM

i had my marlin 795 for about a year ive put a thousand rounds through it and its still going strong. its gotta be my favorite .22 rifle on the market sadly theres not to many aftermarket products for this gun i will be uploading pics of my marlin soon
Old 03-12-2012, 7:36 PM

for those of you looking for mags i just got a few from this site

when i got mine there was a sale on $15 for a 10rd mag with $4 s and h now its $20 mag