Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-01-2009, 9:36 PM

Default Tell me about this rifle: Savage Arms 24V

What was the purpose behind this rifle?

Quick breakdown for those who don't know:
- Hinge action over-under rifle
- Top barrel chambered in .30-30
- Bottom barrel chambered in 20 gauge

I only ask because I've never heard of it. I saw it recently and it looked kinda cool. I'm guessing it was made to hunt different types of game at different ranges. Anyone else have an idea?

Last edited by MidnightSon117; 04-01-2009 at 9:37 PM.. Reason: Missing word
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 PM

The barrel is selected by a spur on the top of the hammer. Here's a picture with the action open:

Old 04-02-2009, 5:49 AM
Calguns Addict

A buddy of mine has a 357 over a 410 gauge which is pretty cool to have. The 410 is good for snakes while the 357 can be used to take CA. sized dear.

NRA MEMBER

Originally Posted by ar15barrels
Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
Michael Reagan
Old 04-02-2009, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

The 24 has been a Savage staple for a very long time. I've owned two myself; .22/.410 and a .30-30/12ga.

I still kick myself for trading away the .22/.410. Not only was the .22 barrel so very accurate, the .410 patterned perfectly centered.

I have...HAD...a bad habit of losing good guns in trade or sales
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 04-02-2009, 1:18 PM

Thanks for the response guys. I wasn't sure what I'd use it for, but I really wanted to pick one up. Savage Arms didn't carry it anymore, at least from what I could see on their website.

The different rifle/shotgun combos available was new to me also. Greaaat. I think I'm going to hunt for one now
Old 04-02-2009, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

The Savage Model 24 combo gun actually began life as the Stevens Model 22-410 in 1939. Savage bought out Stevens in 1920, but the combo gun was introduced as a Stevens and continued in production as the Stevens Model 22-410 through 1950. After that time, the gun was renamed the Savage Model 24 with various letter suffixes over the years. Many pre-68 guns have no serial number.

I have a 24C Camper - a .22/20gauge takedown version in a case, with storage in the buttstock for ammo - http://maxicon.com/guns/savage_24c.htm. It's a neat piece, but has a few flaws, though I believe some of them were fixed in later models. Owners of the other models can chime in on this.

Mine's sensitive to primer seating depth on the 20g barrel. Many types of ammo won't fire in it. This is common in the older 24C models - I don't know about other 24s.

The barrels generally shoot to a different point of aim, which isn't surprising - how are you going to sight in one set of sights for 2 calibers? Not a big deal with the shotshells, as you can sight it in on the other barrel and hope the shotgun spread covers the target, but if you use slugs, you have to compromise at your chosen sighting range.

If your barrel selector is at the top position, you can accidentally switch the selector if you reach too far when you're cocking the hammer.

Mine has extractors, not ejectors, so it's not as fast a reload, especially if you've got clumsy fingers, but this isn't a speedy shooting gun anyway.

The D model was prone to breaking the shotgun firing pin spring - always good to check in a used gun.

Some later models have plastic trigger guards.

NRA Life Member