Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 03-30-2009, 5:45 PM

Default DOJ put a hold on my 10-day DROS

I am sitting here a little suprised, and would appreciate some input from anybody with experience with the DOJ. I just got a call from my FFL saying that they were contacted by the DOJ about my DROS. I guess it is put on hold for some reason, and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. I have not been arrested or even ticketed, and I can't think of any other reason why my DROS would be put on halt. My FFL was very friendly, the DOJ could not release any info to them. I am just really confused right now. Maybe another guy with my name in California got arrested or something? I have no problems with the law, and I am sort of upset that I can't pick up my rifle until I clear this up with the DOJ. I have a telephone number to call tomorrow morning, but until then can anyone chime in here and let me know what's going on?
Old 03-30-2009, 5:48 PM

You already point out one of the possibility: Someone with the same name got arrested and it's reflecting on you. Your FFL should have the DOJ phone number to call as it's usually on the notice they received. Call DOJ to find out what's wrong and how you can clear yourself out of this mess.
NRA certified RSO, Pistol/Rifle/Personal Protection Inside The Home instructor, Certified SIG/Glock pistol armorer. Any question, please feel free to sent e-mail to ontargetrange@sbcglobal.net or visit our forum on Calguns under vendor section!
Old 03-30-2009, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWM4A1 View Post
You already point out one of the possibility: Someone with the same name got arrested and it's reflecting on you. Your FFL should have the DOJ phone number to call as it's usually on the notice they received. Call DOJ to find out what's wrong and how you can clear yourself out of this mess.
That's exactly what I am going to do tomorrow morning. Even if I get this cleared up, am I going to have to drive all the way to my FFL and pay another transfer fee to start another 10-day DROS? This is very frustrating, I am growing more angry by the minute. I just got the call a few minutes ago. My name is not Michael Smith or John Anderson or anything, I doubt anyone has my exact first middle and last name. What are some other possibilities? Why does the DOJ usually do this?
Old 03-30-2009, 5:54 PM

This happens from time to time and is usually resolved within a week or so, but DOJ can take their time.

I once had a temp hold on a guy for a year and a half. That's right, a year and a half! By the time I was told to cancel the sale the gun was no longer legal to transfer in California.

If I were you I'd call DOJ and ask them what's going on.
Old 03-30-2009, 5:59 PM

If the dros is only on hold, would the dros need to be paid again or is it ok since it was not denied.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: Northern Mexico(San Jose) Where illegals have rights and citizens get screwed

Did you pay your auto insurance? The state will run the auto insurance for all vehicles registered in Cal, if your vehicles insurance isn't valid. The state will suspend you registration and if thats what you used for proof of residence......bingo. Not valid.

Thats one of the reasons I have my 03 FFL.
The others, well......they just never learn.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death!"
Patrick Henry.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:05 PM

happened to me awile back, without getting into too many details, had to jump through a few hoops to clear it. Have purchased many firearms since then. Call them
Old 03-30-2009, 6:06 PM

Dude I paid my fed & state taxes, havent had any trouble with the lay, ive paid my car insurance........wtf really. Thanks for the info but the year and a half hold on the gun scares me. This sucks. I am going to nneed to be polite on the phone tomorrow and not let the DOJ know how I really feel.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:07 PM

No need to pay another DROS. Once it is approved you can pick up the firearm.
Mike
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
(949)768-5189
www.ocarmory.com
Old 03-30-2009, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCArmory View Post
No need to pay another DROS. Once it is approved you can pick up the firearm.
Mike
Thanks for the heads up Mike and Patrick, there is nothing you can do about it. I understand there is some sort of misunderstanding on the DOJ's part, so I am not that worried......just really frustrated! I just wish I could get them on the phone right now instead of waiting until tomorrow morning to hear what they have to say.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSacto View Post
I am sitting here a little suprised, and would appreciate some input from anybody with experience with the DOJ. I just got a call from my FFL saying that they were contacted by the DOJ about my DROS. I guess it is put on hold for some reason, and I cannot figure it out for the life of me. I have not been arrested or even ticketed, and I can't think of any other reason why my DROS would be put on halt. My FFL was very friendly, the DOJ could not release any info to them. I am just really confused right now. Maybe another guy with my name in California got arrested or something? I have no problems with the law, and I am sort of upset that I can't pick up my rifle until I clear this up with the DOJ. I have a telephone number to call tomorrow morning, but until then can anyone chime in here and let me know what's going on?
Don't sweat it - it happens more than you might think with people who are 100% on the straight and narrow.

I purchase a lot of firearms, and over the years it has happened twice - once when I forgot I had purchased a new pistol within the 30 day rule, and once when there was a hold on my name due to some douchebag - it took one phone call to DOJ to clear it up.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:13 PM

I once sold a handgun to a guy that was a security guard by PPT, he got the same hold on the DROS due to the fact that his records were being evaluated for some sort of certification required by his employer. He got it cleared up rather quickly if I remember correctly, less than a week or so. You will get all the information you need when you call them.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Most of our holds I speculate are related to DMV/Ticket matters. Not so much criminal.
Old 03-30-2009, 6:30 PM

yup, same here...9 times out of 10 it's because DMV has issues with your drivers license being suspended or expired. if that's the case, your ffl will need to run it again AFTER you fix things with the DMV and the glorious 10 days will start again. = ) even the dmv is anti gun
Old 03-30-2009, 6:35 PM

What firearm is it?

Ben Harper

"It's a free country... or, at least, it will be."
- The Patriot -
Old 03-30-2009, 7:22 PM

The firearm in question is a longgun, a NIB Saiga 7.62 that I got during a FTF transfer. I have not had any DMV infractions in years, I definitely have not been arrested, my CA driver license is valid until September 09, I have current car registration, car insurance, I have no baby mamas, no restraining orders, no warrants, etc. Hopefully it is some formal routine that the DOJ does, it couldn't be anything else.......

Last edited by SanSacto; 03-30-2009 at 7:24 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It is a NIB Saiga 7.62, I have not had any DMV infractions in years, I definitely have not been arrested, my CA driver license is valid until September 09, I have current car registration, car insurance, I have no baby mamas, no restraining orders, no warrants, etc. Hopefully it is some formal routine that the DOJ does, it couldn't be anything else.......
No unpaid traffic tickets from here or any other state?
Old 03-30-2009, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane916 View Post
No unpaid traffic tickets from here or any other state?
None. I had a bad driving record as a teenager but everything is paid and cleared. I haven't had any infractions in years. I check my mail everyday so I would know if I was in any trouble legally or financially.

Well, I am off to my weekly softball/sloshball game, we are like the Bad News Bears.....horrible! Anyways I am off to have fun, I will worry about this tomorrow. Thanks for all the input, I will post an update tomorrow!
Old 03-30-2009, 7:37 PM
Veteran Member

You ever been in the military? My buddy had a DROS stopped because they wanted to see a copy of his DD214 to make sure he wasn't dishonorably discharged.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 03-30-2009, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry for what happened to you, I felt exactly the same thing last year & may be it's the same case with yours.

Here what happened to me:
It was my first firearms, my first DROS & on the 11th day when I went to pick it up, my local FFL show me that letter from DOJ that he cannot release the pistol to me, & let me tell you that I also have no traffic violations at all, paid my bills, did my taxes, NEVER had any problems with the law. I was so upset & kinda confuse, and my mind started to think about identity theft, etc...& worse part also I have to wait until the following day because it was almost 7 PM, and DOJ closed at 4.

Called them tomorrow & the first one who answered my phone asked my Driver License# (she did not ask my DROS#) & she said that it was because I was leaving US on certain date, so because of that, my residency in California was considered less than 90 consec. days??? I told her that I did not leave US on the date that she told me, but she told me there is nothing she can do & I have to wait for the 90 days & do another DROS?!!!!

I hangup the phone & checked my passport to make sure I was right (although I knew it already). Turned out the date that she gave me was the same date that shows on my Green Card when it was issued, that's it!!! So I called them again & this time I talked to a nice lady (that I still remember her name until now) & explained everything. She told me the same thing that she cannot change anything until she sends an email to the same agent (FBI agent in Washington D.C) that gave the explanation on my DROS & I need to call her after the weekend. On Monday morning that was the first thing I did before I went to work & she told me everything is clear & good to go, but I need to do another DROS & pay another $25, & she'll fax the update to my FFL! (It was not my fault & still cost me another DROS fee, but hey better than have to wait for 3 months?!).

I'm not sure if it's also apply to US citizens, but as a green card holder, once we leave US (for vacation or etc), DOJ will count the 90 days residency based from the day when we come back/re-enter US again. So may be the same situation apply to you?
________
xDANGERx

Last edited by t0kie; 09-19-2011 at 1:49 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 8:14 PM
Drain the swamp
CGN Contributor

Sorry if I missed it, but have you successfully purchased a gun recently? If so, how long ago? Or, is this your first DROS?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Proud NRA Member.
Tere Hanges 2013 participant.
Old 03-30-2009, 8:29 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Tomorrow is a holiday bro.. Gonna have to wait til Wednesday...
Old 03-30-2009, 8:37 PM

Be glad this is just a hold on a firearm...

I had a buddy who nearly lost his current job and a prospective job when the job he was applying for ran a background check and his name came back as a child molester. He has a fairly common name and apparently because he shared the same name as some criminal it put a red flag on him as well. It took about a week of calls to various agencies to get everything cleared up.

So look on the bright side, it could be much worse.
Old 03-30-2009, 8:48 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Did you pay your auto insurance? The state will run the auto insurance for all vehicles registered in Cal, if your vehicles insurance isn't valid. The state will suspend you registration and if thats what you used for proof of residence......bingo. Not valid.

LOL. This is the biggest batch of FUD I have read in a long time. The DOJ has zero idea what proof of residency you are using for your transaction. I know for a fact the DOJ does not pay attention to your address for long guns or handguns. I have had people go update their registration at the DMV after starting a handgun so it will match their 4473! So this is pure BS.

I have had a guy get a hold once for no more than 3 hours. The the hold was cleared. Then again, I got a denial once on a Kern County Fire Captain that didn't know he had a warrant out of Fresno for GTA or something. Someone stole his identity.

I wouldn't sweat it. You don't need to restart DROS. Just call the DOJ tomorrow at (916) 227 - 3752.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 03-30-2009, 9:08 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Again, not tomorrow. Its Ceasar Chavez.
Old 03-30-2009, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

Your name isn't Lovelle Mixon is it?
Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's exactly what I am going to do tomorrow morning. Even if I get this cleared up, am I going to have to drive all the way to my FFL and pay another transfer fee to start another 10-day DROS? This is very frustrating, I am growing more angry by the minute. I just got the call a few minutes ago. My name is not Michael Smith or John Anderson or anything, I doubt anyone has my exact first middle and last name. What are some other possibilities? Why does the DOJ usually do this?
Just call the DOJ. None of the lawyer want a be's on this site can help you.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post

FUD FUD FUD The DOJ NEVER SEES THE POR unless there is an audit.
Old 03-31-2009, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post
Are you serious? I am an upstanding citizen that has every right to purchase a firearm.......please......be glad that my rights are being help up? I appreciate your input but....I should be glad? Sorry if I am just bitter but that is a bold statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but have you successfully purchased a gun recently? If so, how long ago? Or, is this your first DROS?
I have DROS'ed 1 handgun and four longguns since fall '07 [edit], so its not like this is my forst DROS. I havent got in any trouble since then. So there goes that theory.

Last edited by SanSacto; 03-31-2009 at 4:12 AM..
Old 03-31-2009, 3:49 AM
Drain the swamp
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have DROS'ed 1 handgun and four longguns since fall '08, so its not like this is my forst DROS. I havent got in any trouble since then. So there goes that theory.
I thought so! That's why I asked. Since you have purchased firearms in the recent past with no problems, and have successfully addressed all the potential road-blocks others have mentioned, I can't imagine what the problem is. I look forward to hearing the results of your phone call today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I want to be Princess Anastasia today because I feel pretty
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Proud NRA Member.
Tere Hanges 2013 participant.
Old 03-31-2009, 5:32 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Are you serious? I am an upstanding citizen that has every right to purchase a firearm.......please......be glad that my rights are being help up? I appreciate your input but....I should be glad? Sorry if I am just bitter but that is a bold statement.
I think you are wound a little too tight. Relax. If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about. These things happen. It could be as simple as the dealer didn't put your info in correctly. It will get sorted out and until your ten days expire and it starts to get towards the end of your 30 days, you shouldn't be worrying.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 03-31-2009, 5:48 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Don't fret - it could be something minor and innocuous. One call will reveal all.

I once had a hold because the FFL - a friend even - was having trouble with his contact lenses, blurred his vision just a bit, and not only entered my DL number wrong, but also swapped a letter to my name. It was back in motion within a day and I did not have to re-DROS or add any time to my 10 days. However, like you, to make matters worse, it happened on a Friday so I went all weekend worrying about all the possible worst-case scenarios as to why a hold was on little ol' law-abiding me.

Identity theft? Restraining order from a stalker I had never heard of? Unpaid parking ticket? Nope - just dumb clerical error.

Relax. It's probably just an inconsistency they caught.

1945 Remington Model 81 in .300 Savage: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1180581

1968 2.5" Colt Python & 1936 Smith & Wesson Pre-War "Registered" Magnum
:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1183318

1934 National Duolian Steel Resonator Guitar: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1172113
Old 03-31-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
I think you are wound a little too tight. Relax. If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about. These things happen. It could be as simple as the dealer didn't put your info in correctly. It will get sorted out and until your ten days expire and it starts to get towards the end of your 30 days, you shouldn't be worrying.
I know I know I am just bitter and frustrated, but I don't like to hear that I should be glad this is happening.......I have been trying to contact the DOJ for the last two hours with no luck. It is either busy or they don't answer. I might have to leave a message and patiently wait for a call back.
Old 03-31-2009, 1:05 PM

Today is a State Holiday. DOJ might be closed.
Old 03-31-2009, 1:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

DOJ held my DROS once for a speeding ticket drama....some idiot court clerk flagged my DL. I called the court/DMV/DOJ and gave them all a piece of my mind......I told the court clerk that her stupidity was infringing on my right to keep an bear arms and I am F***ing PISSED!!!!! LOL it was cleared up pretty quick.

California Uber Alles, California Uber Alles
Uber Alles California, Uber Alles California

I am Governor Jerry Brown, My aura smiles and never frowns, Soon I will be President...
Old 03-31-2009, 1:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I know I know I am just bitter and frustrated, but I don't like to hear that I should be glad this is happening.......I have been trying to contact the DOJ for the last two hours with no luck. It is either busy or they don't answer. I might have to leave a message and patiently wait for a call back.
DOJ is closed bro, it's a paid state holiday. I know because my dad is off. You will have to sweat out another day to know what is up.

It's one of those really annoying little holidays where everything you need is closed. We should just get rid of it, who cares about that communist anyway..
Old 03-31-2009, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukus View Post

I had a buddy who nearly lost his current job and a prospective job when the job he was applying for ran a background check and his name came back as a child molester. He has a fairly common name and apparently because he shared the same name as some criminal it put a red flag on him as well. It took about a week of calls to various agencies to get everything cleared up.

A while back I was doing some work on an Army base and to get an ID card had to get a criminal background check.

The county I live in sent them a copy of all the people in my county with the same first and last names, and middle initials that had criminal records. Turned out a guy with the same first and last name, and middle initial, had a felony record. The county's computer system only indexed on those three things, unlike every other county in Illinois that also indexes on your DOB. So to "exclude" me as being this guy they had to go find the paper files.

You would think this would be pretty easy but it turned out the guy's file was in an assistant state's attorneys desk because she put it there when the guy was committed to the insane asylum. It took almost a month to clear that up. In the meantime the Army was nice enough to arrange an escort for me every day so I could get in and out.

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.
Old 03-31-2009, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

check your DROS paperwork and see if there are any glaring mistakes.
CGN and NVS
Old 03-31-2009, 2:13 PM

Does the DOJ really check for that stuff when you DROS? I mean so what you have a parking ticket, as long as you are not a felon I dont see too much of a problem.

And they check taxes for real? I did not file last year but I am pretty sure I have 3 years to file for a refund.
Old 03-31-2009, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Wait, did you say the DOJ put a hold on your SAIGA purchase?

I have enough information to base my hypothesis.