Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-30-2009, 2:19 PM
Banned

Default New G.I. Bill vs. Old G.I. Bill

I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who seemed to know much about the parameters of the new G.I. Bill.

Back in 2002-2003, I signed up for the old one and did the additional "kicker" so that I would be able to get more money when I went back to school. How does that play into the new G.I. Bill? I'm a little bit confused about how the new G.I. Bill will work. Anyone know much about it?
Old 03-30-2009, 2:34 PM

Parts of the bill are still unclear, but if you are going to regular college then the new GI Bill is right for you. If you enlisted and took the "Army College Fund" that is considered a kicker. At least that's what the VA rep told me. For example, once my paperwork goes through, I'm expecting about 1,300 dollars a month. However, once i convert to the new GI Bill my benefits will increase to about 2,300 dollars a month. Also matters if you were Active or Reserve. Anyways, PM me if you have any questions and I'll answer them the best that I can. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2009, 2:58 PM

if youre going to a csu or uc don't forget to ask the va rep about priority registration...not a big deal when you take upper division classes, but getting to register 3 days before every other freshman and sophmore can make your life a lot easier in the scheduling dept.
Old 03-30-2009, 3:05 PM

You will have to choose between the two.
The Post 9/11 GI Bill is scheduled to go into effect August 1, 2009, but they have not started the application process yet. It will not cover any classes taken prior to 8/1/09.
There are benefits to both, Read the info on the VA website. http://www.gibill.va.gov/

The old version makes payments to you, the Post 9/11 GI Bill makes payments directly to the school. You can also receive a $1000 book stipend and a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This amount is based on the ZIP code of the location of the school you are attending. If attending an Online Only program you will not receive the book or housing money under the new program.

Check out the Benefit Comparisons, pretty much explains the benefits of each program and will help you choose which will work better for you.

"If you are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and other GI Bill benefits such as the Montgomery GI Bill you will be required to make an irrevocable choice of which benefit you wish to receive. If, however you switch training programs AND you have eligibility under more than one type of GI Bill you MAY be able to change which GI Bill you draw depending on your eligibility."

Last edited by SevenFifty; 03-30-2009 at 3:09 PM..
Old 03-30-2009, 3:18 PM
Calguns Addict

from what i heard, I can use the new GI bill even though I already used my old GI bill correct?
Old 03-30-2009, 3:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by armygunsmith View Post
Parts of the bill are still unclear, but if you are going to regular college then the new GI Bill is right for you. If you enlisted and took the "Army College Fund" that is considered a kicker. At least that's what the VA rep told me. For example, once my paperwork goes through, I'm expecting about 1,300 dollars a month. However, once i convert to the new GI Bill my benefits will increase to about 2,300 dollars a month. Also matters if you were Active or Reserve. Anyways, PM me if you have any questions and I'll answer them the best that I can. Good luck!
I was active for 6 years...

I actually want to use it to get a second bachelor's in a technical field. My current degree is in management...

I'd really like to get a Master's in Engineering Management but all of those programs require a technical degree first, so I've gotta get my B.S. in some engineering discipline. I've been looking into the Aerospace Engineering program at CSU Long Beach. UCLA doesn't seem to accept applications for second Bachelor's degrees...

This is confusing! It seems like it would be a better deal to use the new, post 9/11 GI bill but I've already paid for the Montgomery G.I. Bill. I guess I cannot use them both (which is kinda what I was wondering)...
Old 03-30-2009, 5:28 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hundo View Post
I just wanted to see if there was anyone out there who seemed to know much about the parameters of the new G.I. Bill.

Back in 2002-2003, I signed up for the old one and did the additional "kicker" so that I would be able to get more money when I went back to school. How does that play into the new G.I. Bill? I'm a little bit confused about how the new G.I. Bill will work. Anyone know much about it?

Sheesh.... I signed up for the new in 1987. That means your old one, was my new one!

John
Old 03-30-2009, 6:31 PM

Meh, at least you GET a GI Bill.

I got nuthin. 20 yrs in the Navy, $40k in student loans.

NRA Life Member
Old 03-30-2009, 9:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I heard the new one was 80K and could go to Dependants, and you could draw on it anytime? Thats what i was briefed on at least?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:08 AM

There are still a lot of questions out there that nobody really knows the answer to yet. The biggest problem was that they didn't set up enough time to implement this program. Summer '08-HEY! We're going to come up with a new GI Bill and have it ready to hit the ground running August 2009!!! (RIGHT) It took two years to get the REAP (CH 1607) going and that isn't even 1/10 as complicated as this new GI Bill.

Proposed regs on implementation came out 20JAN09, VA hearing in congress was 23FEB09 IIRC.

Military.com has some good info on the new GI Bill, but take it with a grain of salt as everything is still subject to change.

http://www.military.com/money-for-sc...-bill-overview

You can not switch back and forth between CH30 (current GI Bill) and CH33 (post 9/11 GI Bill). Once you opt in to the new bill, that's it.

You'll probably get more in your pocket at the community college (BAH for E5 w/dep is usually higher than the $1321/month), but the deal gets better when you go to the CSU or UC since the tuition costs are a lot higher.

5hundo-don't think your kicker will come into play. The school gets the money from the VA directly. You get the BAH (E5 w/dep) & $1000 per year for books & supplies pro-rated by quarter.

Darklyte27-you can opt in for the new GI Bill if you meet the qualifying criteria and still have some remaining entitlement.

active_shooter-you have to be taking at least half-time in classes directly at the institution to get the BAH.

futurecollector-the new GI Bill pays tuition up to the highest public institution in the state, in this case the UC system. So if you used the new GI Bill at Santa Monica City College, the amount spent for tuition would be a lot less than if you used it at UCLA. The amount given to you for BAH/books/supplies would still be the same, so 80K is misleading. It will be transferable to dependents & spouses, but that seemed to be more along the lines of a reenlistment bonus (once you sign up for another 4-6 years type thing).

The San Diego ELR (head VA Educational folks for California) are having workshops next month to train the VA reps at the schools. NorCal is the third week of April, SoCal is a week before or after. My VA rep is going to one on the 20th, so I'll have more info when she gets back.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Old 03-31-2009, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecollector View Post
I heard the new one was 80K and could go to Dependants, and you could draw on it anytime? Thats what i was briefed on at least?
Here is a copy of the letter that went out explaining it.

It depends on where you go to school. The max per term in CA is $6,586.54, but in IL it is $17,530.00

If you are a member of the Armed Forces on August 1, 2009, the Department of Defense (DoD) may offer you the opportunity to transfer benefits to your spouse or dependent children. DoD and the military services will issue policy on use of transferability in the coming months.

The period of eligibility for the Post 9/11 GI Bill ends 15 years from the date of the last discharge or release from active duty of at least:

* 90 consecutive days
* 30 days but less than 90 days if released for a service-connected disability

Or 15 years from the date of discharge for the last period of service used to meet the minimum service requirements of 90 aggregate days of service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastro View Post
You can not switch back and forth between CH30 (current GI Bill) and CH33 (post 9/11 GI Bill). Once you opt in to the new bill, that's it.
This is untrue. There are circumstances where you can switch and use both. See below...

"If you are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill and other GI Bill benefits such as the Montgomery GI Bill you will be required to make an irrevocable choice of which benefit you wish to receive. If, however you switch training programs AND you have eligibility under more than one type of GI Bill you MAY be able to change which GI Bill you draw depending on your eligibility.

For example: you have eligibility under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Selected Reserve GI Bill. You can get a degree in electrical engineering under the Post-9/11 GI Bill at a community college, then you can enroll in an apprenticeship program with the electrician's union under the Selected Reserve GI Bill and receive Journeyman certification."
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM

The 9/11 GI Bill is definitely good to go, and is what I probably would elect to use since I plan on reapplying to UCs upon EAS/getting a MECEP package.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 03-31-2009, 11:30 AM

The final rule for the new GI Bill came out today:

http://www.vasfaa.org/ListLock/HAmzkPNzL5yuaZGp.pdf

The details start in Subpart P.

Old 03-31-2009, 2:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFifty View Post

For example: you have eligibility under the Post 9/11 GI Bill and the Selected Reserve GI Bill. You can get a degree in electrical engineering under the Post-9/11 GI Bill at a community college, then you can enroll in an apprenticeship program with the electrician's union under the Selected Reserve GI Bill and receive Journeyman certification."
See, now THAT is almost exactly along the lines of what I'd like to do...

I'd like to get an engineering degree (preferably Aero) and then follow that up with an A&P Program...
Old 04-01-2009, 2:30 PM

Here is my question with the New GI Bill. Starting this May I will have 24mo 10 days left of my Chapter 30 benefits. I will be transfering to a UC this fall and plan on using the Chapter 33 benefits. Will I only have 24 months of benefits? Or 36?
Old 04-01-2009, 5:27 PM

You will have 24mo 10 days of ch 33 benefits.

Quote:
§ 21.9550 Entitlement
(b)(1) An individual who, as of August 1, 2009, has used entitlement under 38 U.S.C. chapter 30, but retains unused entitlement under that chapter, makes an irrevocable election to receive educational assistance under the provisions of 38 U.S.C. chapter 33 instead of educational assistance under the provisions of chapter 30, will be limited to one month (or partial month) of entitlement under chapter 33 for each month (or partial month) of unused entitlement under chapter 30 (including any months of chapter 30 entitlement previously transferred to a dependent that the individual has revoked).

Old 04-02-2009, 2:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Ok thanks guys!!!! When I get commisioned is there still a chance it will change? its confusing lol,
Old 04-02-2009, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastro View Post
You will have 24mo 10 days of ch 33 benefits.
Thanks, thats what I assumed but it can be dangerous assuming things when the government is involved
Old 04-21-2009, 1:00 PM
Banned

I just got a letter from the VA today and it offered some clarification.

The maximum basic benefit provides:

the cost of tuition and university fees, so long as those fees do not exceed the cost of the most expensive "in-state" undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher learning in the state you are attending school. (so, the UC system should be applicable)

A monthly housing allowance, which is the same rate as an E-5, with dependants, living within the zip code at which the school is located.

A stipend of $1000 per year for books and supplies...

To receive 100% of this GI bill, you must have served for at least 36 Months, or as little as 30 days if you were discharged because of a service connected disability.

It also says this in regards to the previous "chapter 30" GI Bill:

Those individuals transferring from the Montgomery GI Bill will have a propoertional amount of their basic $1200 contribution refunded in the last monthly housing allowance payment when entitlement exhuasts. Individuals who do not exhuast entitlement under the post 9/11 GI Bill will not receive a refund. A refund of the $600 additional contibution is not authorized.

(Guess I shouldn't have elected for that additional "kicker"... )
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hundo View Post
I just got a letter from the VA today and it offered some clarification.

The maximum basic benefit provides:

the cost of tuition and university fees, so long as those fees do not exceed the cost of the most expensive "in-state" undergraduate tuition at a public institution of higher learning in the state you are attending school. (so, the UC system should be applicable)
The most expensive in-state undergraduate school they are going to use is UC Berkeley. We had a meeting about the new GI Bill on campus about two weeks ago and they clarified this portion for us (and a lot of other things you guys already nailed here).

Can't wait. Chapter 33 will come in very handy.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm glad you guys are being taken care of, but it still galls me to think that I get nothing, even after serving my career with them.

If they would waive even half of my student loans, it would be a great thing, but I'm just getting more bitter the more benefits the "newbie's" get.

NRA Life Member
Old 05-20-2009, 9:08 AM
Banned

I just applied for it online and wanted to make sure you guys knew that the VA is accepting applications.

http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp

I don't know how long it will take but it could be quite a while....
Old 05-20-2009, 9:22 AM

I just applied last week as well, started school again in March. We'll see what happens. I've got all kinds of weird circumstances since I was NG, but spent most of that time volunteering for AD, some training, some not.
Old 05-20-2009, 1:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippyFist View Post
I just applied last week as well, started school again in March. We'll see what happens. I've got all kinds of weird circumstances since I was NG, but spent most of that time volunteering for AD, some training, some not.
I'm thinking about using mine to get a ATP/commercial license but I'm not sure if I could pass and FAA Class 1 with my herniated discs. I'll have to look into that...

Otherwise, I want to get an engineering degree.