Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-30-2009, 9:11 AM

Default Colt AR!!

alright here's what happen. someone i know has a pre-ban colt AR and it is ON LIST.

he wants to give it to me but dont want to deal with legal stuff, I'm assuming I can buy a stripped lower and swap all the parts over? will everything fit perfectly? does it need a new LPK? i know I'll need a bullet button or monsterman grip

here's the obligatory pic
Old 03-30-2009, 9:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Let him keeps his lower receiver and large-capacity magazines.

Give you everything else. Then you go buy your lower, and MMG or magazine fixing device (bullet button etc) + 10 rounds mag.

It is best for you to get your LPK too... it is POSSIBLE to strip his LPK parts too... but a couple of them are not the easiest....

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 03-30-2009, 9:21 AM

ok so I should get a stripped lower and LPK. cool. I think I want to splurge since I'm getting the AR for free so what's the best quality

also he doesnt want the lower so I'm gonna just sell it out of state, I can do this right?
Old 03-30-2009, 9:25 AM

Just take the upper & A2 stock and build your own OLL. The pins on a Colt commerical LPK are slightly larger in diameter than a standard LPK so unless you want to ream out the holes in a standard OLL, you're better off buying a new LPK. BTW, my best friend had one exactly like that before he passed away tragically in 1998. I wanted to buy it from the estate (his son would've been OK with it) as a momento but the cops wound up taking it away as evidence (although it had nothing to do w/ his circumstances) - hopefully it's in some sergeant's patrol car now and didn't go to the scrapper.

Last edited by vf111; 03-30-2009 at 9:30 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 9:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
ok so I should get a stripped lower and LPK. cool. I think I want to splurge since I'm getting the AR for free so what's the best quality

also he doesnt want the lower so I'm gonna just sell it out of state, I can do this right?
NO YOU CANNOT. It is NOT yours.

Old 03-30-2009, 9:26 AM
Veteran Member

You don't need to buy the complete lower parts kit. It will be much cheeper to just buy a few parts that are hard to change between lowers like the bolt catch pin, and trigger guard pin. Most of the other lower parts are really easy to uninstall. Plus, most places have the small pieces in stock unlike complete LPK's. Selling the colt lower out of state (assuming it's a free state, and your friend who owns it is present), should be fine.
Old 03-30-2009, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post

YOU can't sell it because there is no way for you to legally obtain the lower. It can NEVER be yours...but HE can sell it out of state.
Old 03-30-2009, 9:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japsican View Post
YOU can't sell it because there is no way for you to legally obtain the lower. It can NEVER be yours...but HE can sell it out of state.
Wrong. If you moved to a free state you could legally own it.
Old 03-30-2009, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
Well of course. I'm assuming that's if he lives and stays in CA.

Edit: As Jicko has stated. This is only possible if the receiver has been legally transferred.

Last edited by Japsican; 03-30-2009 at 10:02 AM..
Old 03-30-2009, 9:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You don't need to buy the complete lower parts kit. It will be much cheeper to just buy a few parts that are hard to change between lowers like the bolt catch pin, and trigger guard pin. Most of the other lower parts are really easy to uninstall. Plus, most places have the small pieces in stock unlike complete LPK's. Selling the colt lower out of state (assuming it's a free state, and your friend who owns it is present), should be fine.
COLT.... it is more than just the bolt-catch and bolt-catch pin.... the trigger is not compatible either...

If OP is not familiar with the AR, it is very hard for him to get all the right parts...

So.... to make it simple.... get a new LPK... duh!

Old 03-30-2009, 9:43 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Wrong. OP's friend CANNOT just GIVE OP the firearm. So, he can't "own" it, no matter where.

Quote:
dont want to deal with legal stuff
The OP's friend would need to deal with SOME legal stuff, like going to a FFL, officially transferring the firearm to the OP, even if the OP is out of state.

Actually the OP would need to go out of state NOW, for him to be able to take possession of OP's friend's lower receiver.

Old 03-30-2009, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post
COLT.... it is more than just the bolt-catch and bolt-catch pin.... the trigger is not compatible either...

If OP is not familiar with the AR, it is very hard for him to get all the right parts...

My bad.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:35 AM

ok so I can have my friend sell it on gunbroker... it doesn't matter because it goes to an FFL>Buyer anyways

thanks for all the help guys!
Old 03-30-2009, 11:04 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can use the complete upper and the stock is perfectly useable. The lower is not here in this state and you can use the LPK. You can either ream out the new lower or have some brass bushings machined to sleave the hammer and trigger to the smaller pin size. It is a bit of work but I personally like the colt trigger parts more than most...
Kevin
Old 03-30-2009, 12:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Is the gun actually registered as an AW?

If it is not, transporting it out of state for a sale is a felony.
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.
--Cesare, Marquis of Beccaria, "On Crimes and Punishment"
Old 03-30-2009, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jicko View Post

Uh. Maybe I've been out of the loop and missed something?

The only Colt lower parts that I know of that are incompatible with other lowers machined to "military spec"--since the late 1980's--are the trigger, hammer, disconnector, trigger pin and hammer pin. Possibly the front pivot pin if the lower is a "big hole" lower or the pivot pin detent well wasn't drilled.

BTW everything can be stripped off a lower if you do it right.
Old 03-30-2009, 1:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I can't seem to remember if we reached a consensus, so for purely academic reasons...

-is a 'listed by name' AW still an AW if not in a semi-auto configuration? Do not AW laws apply only to semi-auto centerfire firearms?

-Couldn't the OP just hold onto the stripped lower, in state, without violating any AW laws? Later building it into a compliant rifle if desired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 03-30-2009, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
I can't seem to remember if we reached a consensus, so for purely academic reasons...

-is a 'listed by name' AW still an AW if not in a semi-auto configuration? Do not AW laws apply only to semi-auto centerfire firearms?

-Couldn't the OP just hold onto the stripped lower, in state, without violating any AW laws? Later building it into a compliant rifle if desired?
If it's on the list, the receiver makes it an assault weapon regardless of features. That means even a stripped Colt lower is an assault weapon.
Old 03-30-2009, 2:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by series8217 View Post
If it's on the list, the receiver makes it an assault weapon regardless of features. That means even a stripped Colt lower is an assault weapon.
A receiver is not a semiauto firearm. I'm pretty sure we have documentation from the DOJ on that point....

Quote:
CHAPTER 2.3. ROBERTI-ROOS ASSAULT WEAPONS
CONTROL ACT OF 1989
LISTING
The ACT provides in part:
12276. As used in this chapter, “assault weapon” shall
mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:

Quote:

Soon it will be clearly immoral to routinely violate the bill of rights like the California courts so enjoy today.

-Gene
Old 03-30-2009, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
Well, his friend just 'outed' him if that gun is not a reg'd AW.

Possession of a stripped lower is a defendable case but not recommended conduct. I wouldn't have one, and I have sufficient resources to deal with issues, it's just stoopid for a $200 receiver.

Also that would raise but not eliminate burden of proof of prior crime of illegal AW possession.

All parties need to STFU about the status of the gun if queried.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-30-2009, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Well, his friend just 'outed' him if that gun is not a reg'd AW.

Possession of a stripped lower is a defendable case but not recommended conduct. I wouldn't have one, and I have sufficient resources to deal with issues, it's just stoopid for a $200 receiver.

Also that would raise but not eliminate burden of proof of prior crime of illegal AW possession.

All parties need to STFU about the status of the gun if queried.
I understand that the $200 receiver is not financially worth much, certainly not a 10K retainer fee, but isn't there a way to challenge/clarify this situation through the DOJ/OAL?

Quote:

-Gene