Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-23-2009, 5:12 PM

Thumbs up XD9 Subcompact for me!

Howdy all,

Thanks to all on this forum for their help in making my latest purchase decision on the far right:

From L to R:Ruger SP101, HKS Speedloader & Bianchi Speedstrip w/ Corbon .357 110gr JHPs, CRKT Hissatsu Folder, Surefire G2 Nitrolon, XD Extended Length Magazine w/ Corbon 9mm +P 115gr JHPs, XD Standard Magazine with Federal 9mm 124gr Hydra-shok HPs, and of course the new addition: Springfield XD9sc.

I took the XD out today for a spin. Ran 50 rounds of Wolf 115gr FMJ, 10 of the Corbon, and 10 of the Federal. No problems, I'll run more rounds through it soon. The Wolf ammo wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be, but I've been running the really dirty CCI Blazers through the SP101....

The XD points much better than my SP101, and the sight picture is great with the 3 dots, my old eyes just loose the front sight on the SP101.
Shootability is much better than the SP101, trigger is great out of the box, was able to do decent double taps right off the bat, no problem with trigger reset at all.

I'll probably change the sights to some sort of night sights on both guns at some point. Other than the sights, I'll probably keep the XD as is. The SP will probably get a full Gemini Customs job on it at some point, but a decent front sight is a priority.

Next on THE LIST is either a reloading setup, a long(ish) range bolt-action rifle, or a .45. I'm sort torn on the .45 decision, I really like my new XD, but I want a 1911 pattern of some sort, but I don't want to complicate my manual of arms either....

Just can't wait to shoot the XD again!

sltgunner

Last edited by sltgunner; 04-22-2013 at 7:41 AM..
Old 03-23-2009, 8:04 PM

Congratulations on purchasing another gun! The more, the better... Wolf usually shouldn't be much of an issue in polymer guns (I think they might make them extra durable so that they can take the extra beating).
-talking about the Sacramento "gang tax" being proposed
Old 03-23-2009, 8:18 PM

Default More, more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Shot, One Dropped View Post
Congratulations on purchasing another gun! The more, the better... Wolf usually shouldn't be much of an issue in polymer guns (I think they might make them extra durable so that they can take the extra beating).
Yeah, but I gotta make more money before I can purchase a bolt action rifle....or reloading stuff...or a .45ACP of some sort...or new teeth, but I digress

My first gut reaction to the XD (years ago) was, "Feh, yet another Glock clone...", but when I held it and then shot one, I became an XD Kool-Aid drinker

I was REALLY surprised by the Wolf stuff, I've heard various reports that it was pretty dirty, but after shooting and cleaning up after CCI ammo, Wolf seems positively spotless in comparison. My SP101 takes a LONG time to clean after a 50-100 round session of CCI, the forcing cone is a beeyoch to get even remotely clean...

sltgunner
Old 03-23-2009, 8:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So your running Wolf ammo? Wow, everyone says run far far away from that stuff. I'm still on a back-order status for 9mm I ordered 4 months ago from Cabelas. If I can shoot on the cheap I will totally look into that.
Old 03-23-2009, 8:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltgunner View Post
I'll probably change the sights to some sort of night sights on both guns at some point. Other than the sights, I'll probably keep the XD as is.
May I suggest the Tritium/Fiber Optics combo like the TroGlo TFOs. For day & night (especially old eyes), the best of both worlds.

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 03-23-2009, 8:54 PM

Default Yep, I'm a howling with the Wolf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason McDuffie View Post
So your running Wolf ammo? Wow, everyone says run far far away from that stuff. I'm still on a back-order status for 9mm I ordered 4 months ago from Cabelas. If I can shoot on the cheap I will totally look into that.
Holy freeholy, 4 MONTH BACKLOG! No wonder there's a ammo support thread here!

So far so good, but I'm only 50 rounds in with the Wolf, with 400 more rounds to go in my cache. If I can find better for cheaper, I will, but in the meantime I'll just howl away with what I've got.

BTW, I recently purchased it for ~$15/50 round box from CheaperThanDirt, and now they've got it for $20 I probably should have stocked up on more!

My philosophy is if I can shoot a lot, I'll *eventually* get better. While cheaper ammo is definitely harder to clean, I do get to know my handgun better by having to spend more quality time with it while cleaning

Have as much fun as possible!

sltgunner
Old 03-23-2009, 9:04 PM

Default Night sites, for those times when the bad guys won't come out in the daytime....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
May I suggest the Tritium/Fiber Optics combo like the TroGlo TFOs. For day & night (especially old eyes), the best of both worlds.

Thanks for the suggestion. My current short list is (in no particular order):

XS BigDot or StandardDot
Trijicons
TruGlo
Meprolights
Heinie Straight8s

All would have the tritium inserts, I figure if I have to use the XD in a shtf situation I'll probably be:

1) in almost total darkness, or at least in "low light"
2) possibly wounded
3) not in an approved "shooting stance/position"
4) c%^pping my pants!

sltgunner, who ALWAYS packs an extra set of skivvies
Old 03-23-2009, 9:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Haha, great philosophy. I can get behind that one for sure. I really dont mind cleaning my guns. In fact I rather enjoy the time to myself and my instrument of destruction. Its the bonding time that we appreciate later in life.

With Wolf ammo I just heard of the rounds messing up alot of guns so I avoided it.

Yup. I called this afternoon over to Cabelas and asked where are my bullets and they said they had no date set as of yet and that I would receive an email when my order comes up. Great. Thanks. Meanwhile enjoy that money I gave you for an order that hasnt been filled.
Old 03-24-2009, 7:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltgunner View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. My current short list is (in no particular order):

XS BigDot or StandardDot
Trijicons
TruGlo
Meprolights
Heinie Straight8s

All would have the tritium inserts, I figure if I have to use the XD in a shtf situation I'll probably be:

1) in almost total darkness, or at least in "low light"
2) possibly wounded
3) not in an approved "shooting stance/position"
4) c%^pping my pants!

sltgunner, who ALWAYS packs an extra set of skivvies
In daylight, tritium night sights are practically useless. I would rather have the 3 white dots on the XD. Now, if you had the fiber optics included especially the ones with contrasting colors, your "old eyes" would thank you. Have you seen the TFOs at day time? Or try them at dusk.....the best bar none

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 03-24-2009, 8:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thats a pretty damn good point.
Old 03-24-2009, 9:32 AM

good choice! my XD9SC is one of my favorite guns. make sure that you get the pearce grip extensions for all your mags. that is a must.