Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Default Carry handle I.D.: commercial vs. Mil Spec

Last edited by afmcgraw; 02-13-2016 at 7:29 PM.. Reason: reason
Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 AM

As I have seen, the markings to look for really quick are on the elevation knob:
Carbine - 6/3
Rifle - 8/3

Your rifle front sight housing will play an important part in the mechanical sight height for the rear sight. If your front sight housing is on a carbine and is 'F' marked, it is taller and needs the taller 6/3 marked carry handle. I don't think the rifle length barrels have 'F' marked front sight bases....

You need to measure the height of your front sight tower, if it isn't 'F' marked, to be sure of the height. Measuring from the top of the barrel to the bottom edge of the front sight tower,,,,1.94 - Standard base, 1.98 - 'F' marked base (Taller)

Another way to cheat the system is to buy the taller front sight post from Bushmaster.

The USGI carry handles are the best to get, they are more "rounded" on the edges, have forge markings still present near the rear sight,,,,,,,the knock-off carry handles are usually lacking the forge markings and have "sharp" edges,,,, kinda hard to describe.
HTH

Last edited by a308garand; 03-18-2009 at 10:30 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

DPMS has GI contracts. They will be in spec.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 03-20-2009, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
DPMS has GI contracts. They will be in spec.
Just like how DPMS barrels have "in-spec" 5.56 chambers and they have "in-spec" staked bolt carriers

I would check the carry handle to make sure that it is 6/3, another easy way to tell a real carry handle from a junk one is that all quality carry handles will have the thumbscrews 4-point staked.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Been shooting ARs for a long time and still don't get why people are so fixated on getting a carry handle. Shouldn't be used for carrying anyway and it's a waste of good rail space.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega13device View Post
Been shooting ARs for a long time and still don't get why people are so fixated on getting a carry handle. Shouldn't be used for carrying anyway and it's a waste of good rail space.
Ditto. I don't even know why it's called the "carrying handle." It is more correctly the "rear-sight riser" or something like that. One of the first things we were told as recruits, upon being issued rifles, was the severe beating we would receive if we were ever caught handling a weapon by the carrying handle. It's almost impossible to have proper muzzle awareness with a rifle swinging around by your thigh, pointed straight forward.

A good folding back-up iron sight is the way to go, whether used with optics or not. And I don't like the issued ones that we had (the ones with an elevation lever on the side.) They are sprung, held in place by a detent which almost always fails and leaves them permanently up--in the way of your optics. There is no need for it to be sprung.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:42 AM
In Memoriam

But it's so good looking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega13device View Post
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnosworthy View Post
But it's so good looking..
Actually, I think that explains why they're still issued in the military along with flat-top M16A4's and M4's, even when optics and back-up irons are issued. They want the "traditional" look for ceremonies . I can't think of any other reason you'd want a carrying handle, when you have optics and a BUIS.
Old 02-05-2010, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

I know Rock River makes a detachable carry handle. I hear the NM version has enough adjustment for getting out to 600 yards- if you're ever thinking of getting into highpower shooting...