Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Ruger 10/22 -- CA Legal Mags?

Can you direct me to a site with info where I can verify that it's OK to have larger-than-10 mags in CA for a 10-22?

Last edited by Qwerty16; 03-17-2009 at 10:58 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 AM

It's not illegal to posses "high capacity" magazines in Kalifornia, only to import or manufacture. And .22 is rimfire, not center fire so it's not considered an AW no matter what features it has.

NRA Member

WTB:
Ruger 10/22
.22 Revolver
Double Barreled 20 Ga.
C&R SKS
C&R Single Shot Bolt Action .22
Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Unless the Rimfire weapon is too short then is it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Rimfire hicaps can be owned and used only if possessed before the ban. Old hi-caps can be used in a new or old gun. Hi-caps cannot be given, transferred or sold. Hi-cap repair parts can be. Hi-caps can be loaned while the owner is present, like at a shooting range with your buddies etc.
Otherwise, it is 10 rounds max, rimfire or centerfire, for magazines post-ban.

The Ruger Charger is not currently legal in CA, even though it is .22 rimfire target pistol, the ability to accept a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip makes it an AW. Same for the Tec 22s and a few others.

The laws are a mess and must be read and studied very carefully.

Last edited by ojisan; 03-18-2009 at 9:42 PM..
Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Calguns Addict

Try this link:

California Codes relative to "large capacity magazines"

The links on that page contain most of the codes relevant to "large capacity" magazines in California. You'll have to wade through a lot of lawyerese but all the facts are there. Read the codes carefully as the law mostly tells you what you can't do, not what you can do. Ojisan has given an outstanding "Reader's Digest version" - and he's right, it is a mess.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 03-17-2009 at 11:12 AM..
Old 03-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
Zachary: Rimfire hicaps can be owned and used only if possessed before the ban.
Not true. There is no law against owning a hicap magazine no matter when you acquired. If you imported or manufactured it after the ban you would then be breaking the law. But there is no law against possession regardless of when you came into possession.

NRA Member

WTB:
Ruger 10/22
.22 Revolver
Double Barreled 20 Ga.
C&R SKS
Old 03-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty16 View Post
Can you direct me to a site with info where I can verify that it's OK to have larger-than-10 mags in CA for a 10-22?
Generally, the law doesn't discuss what is allowed, only what is prohibited.

Starting 1/1/2000, it became illegal to import/manufacture/expose for sale/give/lend large capacity ammunition feeding devices in CA. PC 12020. NO WHERE is "possession" restricted. That is all you need to know.

Good day.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:25 AM

Here is a good and informative post by Librarian:

HiCap Mags

NRA Member

WTB:
Ruger 10/22
.22 Revolver
Double Barreled 20 Ga.
C&R SKS
Old 03-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Wow, what a can of worms. Thanks for the help. Almost makes me look forward to the day WSHTF so we can all just start over again w/o all this bravo sierra. I was born in California, moved to Arizona and then back again. Some body give me a whack...
Old 03-17-2009, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Wow, what a can of worms. Thanks for the help. Almost makes me look forward to the day WSHTF so we can all just start over again w/o all this bravo sierra. I was born in California, moved to Arizona and then back again. Some body give me a whack...
You were in a free state why would you ever return?

Just go to the link I posted, read the law for yourself. If you still don't feel comfortable having +10 magazines get rid of them.

NRA Member

WTB:
Ruger 10/22
.22 Revolver
Double Barreled 20 Ga.
C&R SKS
Old 03-17-2009, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Funny, I'm in the same situation. Moved here a few months ago from Gilbert, AZ. Born in CA.

Have plenty of "high" capacity magazines. But, I a bought 10 round mags to be legal here but still, I am confused on the whole subject.
Old 03-17-2009, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Funny, I'm in the same situation. Moved here a few months ago from Gilbert, AZ. Born in CA.

Have plenty of "high" capacity magazines. But, I a bought 10 round mags to be legal here but still, I am confused on the whole subject.

Can somebody clarify if my understanding is correct on this point: I moved here from AZ recently therefore bringing in my "high cap" magazines would be illegal because I didn't own them here before 2000? Correct?

Just to clarify, I did NOT bring my "high cap" magazines here - they are at my other house in AZ. I would LIKE to but am pretty sure it is not legal, so I am asking the experts.
Old 03-17-2009, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoDuner View Post
Can somebody clarify if my understanding is correct on this point: I moved here from AZ recently therefore bringing in my "high cap" magazines would be illegal because I didn't own them here before 2000? Correct?
You are correct; that would be importing.
Old 03-17-2009, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

Just to clarify, I did NOT bring my "high cap" magazines here - they are at my other house in AZ. I would LIKE to but am pretty sure it is not legal, so I am asking the experts.
If you want to have them with you in CA, you can just disassemble them and bring them in. When you go shoot outside of CA, you can reassemble them.

One thing to note, possession is not regulated.
Old 03-18-2009, 9:41 PM

Hmm, interesting. Sometimes I do want to go from my home here to AZ to shoot without going back to my home in Gilbert, AZ first. That would solve that.

Too bad my 10/22 mags don't disassemble.... But the others do.

Ohsmily, what do you mean by posession is not regulated?

Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-18-2009, 9:50 PM
Banned

So you found some BDM mags in the desert huh! Right on!!!!!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. Sometimes I do want to go from my home here to AZ to shoot without going back to my home in Gilbert, AZ first. That would solve that.

Too bad my 10/22 mags don't disassemble.... But the others do.

Ohsmily, what do you mean by posession is not regulated?

Thanks again for the help.
I mean exactly what I said. It is illegal to import/expose for sale/give/lend/manufacture high capacity magazines but there is no law restricting or banning possession of high capacity magazines. Take it for what it is worth.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Gordon that would be purchasing a hi cap after the ban...

Be careful...

Anyway I Have a "OOOLLD" 25 er that does come apart btw so they can coem apart just not super easy to put back together SOOOO I am pumped I CAN rebuild my oldies with new stuff when need be... Mine all load find still even the one that can come apart easy....
Old 03-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
Gordon that would be purchasing a hi cap after the ban...
Just out of curiosity, can you please cite the penal code that prohibits purchasing large capacity magazines in CA?
Old 03-19-2009, 12:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
Just out of curiosity, can you please cite the penal code that prohibits purchasing large capacity magazines in CA?
I always love the way you come back on people to prove your superior to them on here... Anyway I get a chuckle out of it always, even now in fact...

But having said that, your not going to rattle me...

You tell me is it "legal" to buy what the state calls high caps after 1-1-2000?

I know how the law reads, it is illegal to manufacture, import, or sell a high cap magazine. I forget the PC # but we all know how it goes. They do not check it but most of us had stuff prior to the ban so it's a none issue. It is a stupid law and I hope California gets it right soon, but it is there.
I know possesion is not illegal and that is good....

Anyway got your point you win I bow to you Ohsmily one, you are superior and none of us are worthy...
Old 03-19-2009, 6:39 AM

Actually, I am more interested in whether you can USE hi-capacity magazines for the 10-22, like at a range, for example, w/o violating the law?
Old 03-19-2009, 6:50 AM
NRA Training Counselor
CGN Contributor

Yes you can as ohsmiley so eloquently put it, POSESSION is not a crime, so if you had bought the mags before the ban, even if you didn't own the gun and purchased the gun later, it is perfectly legal to use them.

NRA Certified Instructor
Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety,Muzzleloading, Personal Protection Series, Chief Range Safety Officer, Refuse to be a victim Regional counselor

Smog Inspections in the Sacramento area.
Old 03-19-2009, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

you have to understand the mindset of our oh so wise masters when they crafted the law. they rightly figured that regulation/registration of existing stocks would be nearly impossible. ergo, posession/use is legal. since most mags are not dated, there is no way to acertain when they were purchased. unless your weapon/mag didn't exist before the date (XD) or as a friend so rightly put it, "doesn't work for me, i was only 8 when the law passed". (age does have it's privileges)
Old 03-19-2009, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seesm View Post
I always love the way you come back on people to prove your superior to them on here... Anyway I get a chuckle out of it always, even now in fact...

But having said that, your not going to rattle me...

You tell me is it "legal" to buy what the state calls high caps after 1-1-2000?

I know how the law reads, it is illegal to manufacture, import, or sell a high cap magazine. I forget the PC # but we all know how it goes. They do not check it but most of us had stuff prior to the ban so it's a none issue. It is a stupid law and I hope California gets it right soon, but it is there.
I know possesion is not illegal and that is good....

Anyway got your point you win I bow to you Ohsmily one, you are superior and none of us are worthy...
I am glad I amuse you. I am sorry if you feel that I am trying to prove that I am superior by simply making the point (actually, allowing you to make the point) that neither possession nor purchase is regulated. Your above post is a good one other than your derision.
Old 03-19-2009, 9:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Actually, I am more interested in whether you can USE hi-capacity magazines for the 10-22, like at a range, for example, w/o violating the law?
I thought this thread was pretty informative as to your question. Not much else we can do for you.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
the best advice is this. if you got them legally, then use them however it is not wise to wave them around and say look what i got. a cop can arrest you for anything and during the 24 hour hold things can get "lost" and you are out of some perfectly legal mags. just keep your stuff on the down low. thats it
Old 03-19-2009, 3:55 PM

Thanks for the help everyone and Qwerty for bringing this up. I think, just to be safe, I'll stick with my 10 round mags while I am in CA and call it good. The last thing I need is some LEO harassing me for something as trivial as that.
Old 03-19-2009, 7:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I am glad I amuse you. I am sorry if you feel that I am trying to prove that I am superior by simply making the point (actually, allowing you to make the point) that neither possession nor purchase is regulated. Your above post is a good one other than your derision.
Thanks, well today I learned what derision means now...