Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions > Shotgun Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun Gallery Post pictures of your scattergun here.

Old 03-12-2009, 1:56 PM

Default i got my mesa tactical side saddle in....

now i just need a surefire light and some kind of sights

heres the total of shells

1 in the chamber
7 in the tube
10 in the but pack all together
8 on the side saddle

26 all together

Last edited by xxG3xx; 03-12-2009 at 2:01 PM..
Old 03-12-2009, 2:42 PM
Veteran Member

Shouldn't kick much loaded up like that. I'll bet she is a heavy one. Looks good though.

Ok, i have to ask, why brass up?

My thought, you load it from the bottom, so would it not be quicker to take shells from the bottom and load into the bottom? What am i missing, i have seen it done both ways, so just curious.

NRA EPL Member
Visit my blogBullets in the Wash
Old 03-12-2009, 2:44 PM

nice I like it alot

I've been considering buying one of those 500 special purpose.
Gotta love the 20" barrel and extra mag tube room

Old 03-12-2009, 2:45 PM

its not to heavy...i am just testing the waters with the brass up
Old 03-12-2009, 3:49 PM
Snake..Snake? SNAAAAKKE!!
CGN Contributor

does the forearm get in the way or did you do any cutting?

Old 03-12-2009, 4:00 PM

I didn't have to do any mods
Old 03-12-2009, 7:19 PM

great looking gun... i like the additions... 26 rounds, man that thing is all loaded up...

i'll be picking up my Mossy 500a on wed.. from The Gun Exchange in San Jose.. i can't wait...
Old 03-15-2009, 6:43 PM
Veteran Member

How heavy is your shotgun, now?
Old 03-16-2009, 8:45 AM

i don't have a scale so im not sure...not that heavy to me
Old 03-20-2009, 9:25 AM

Just for novelty purposes, how bout adding this sling for a whopping 50 rounds total.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT011-1.html
Old 04-01-2009, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
Shouldn't kick much loaded up like that. I'll bet she is a heavy one. Looks good though.

Ok, i have to ask, why brass up?

My thought, you load it from the bottom, so would it not be quicker to take shells from the bottom and load into the bottom? What am i missing, i have seen it done both ways, so just curious.
I think its so that the shells won't fall out from recoil or anything. Unless you flip the gun over and shoot.
Old 04-01-2009, 4:50 PM

I have a Mesa 6 shell holder for my 870. Thought about getting the 4 shell holder for the other side of the receiver. They make a sturdy product. I would recommend the shell holder to anyone.
Old 04-11-2009, 4:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc45 View Post
Just for novelty purposes, how bout adding this sling for a whopping 50 rounds total.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SHT011-1.html
That just what you need, 25 rounds swinging around on your mall ninja sling
Old 05-21-2009, 7:13 AM

xxG3xx sir that is a nice lookin boom stick you have there....

what extension tube are you using??? It is purddy and I am on the market for one.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 PM

it came that way...i got the shotgun from big 5
Old 04-11-2010, 8:09 PM

Where can you buy the buttstock shell holder? Ted
Old 04-13-2010, 1:23 PM

Looks good! I love Mesa's side saddles, they are pricey but well worth the money. I have one on my 870 and I love it. After about 400 rounds it started to come loose, so I had to put some lock-tite on the mounting hardware.

On my friend's Mossberg we had to notch the forearm since it is the different style that overlaps the receiver. It was very easy to do with my Dremel and it looks great.
Old 04-13-2010, 6:03 PM

The Mesa side saddles cost more than the TacStar but the quality, fit, and finish is noticable. As for the brass up vs. down, this is a well discussed topic. Brass down has a chance to fall out and I think this might have been a problem in the North Hollywood shootout. I think more so with the Mesa as they shells seem to load and unload a bit easier than the TacStar. I keep mine brass up. A good friend of mine keeps his brass down as he prefers the slightly faster loading you get that way. There is not right or wrong answer.

IMO, the best light out there is the Surefire foreend. Again, expensive but a nice piece of hardware.

I find that 90% of the questions asked here have been answered 20 or more years ago by Jeff in hid Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip books.

"Taking a rifle to a gunfight is the equivalent of taking a chainsaw to a knife fight." Lt. Col. Grossman in On Combat (Sec 2, Ch 1)
Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 AM

Default 8 shell side saddle

I put the same 8 shell side saddle on my 590A1...

I went and took a defensive shotgun class using that gun and found that the 8 shell side saddle extended too far back along the left side of the grip. Basically it was knocking on my right thumb all day long, and after a whole day's worth of shooting it was not pleasant.

Also...we did some one handed shooting exercises...on the first shot of the gun with my left hand only...the side saddle made a pretty bad cut on my left index finger. Shot it a couple more times with the left hand only and had to get my finger bandaged up...

I had since removed the 8 shell side saddle in favor of a TacStar 6 shell side saddle and put the 8 shell holder on another shotgun with a pistol grip. I always thought more shells the better...but not in this case. Mesa Tactical should have designed the 8 shell model to be aligned slightly more forward along the receiver...perhaps have the front of the side saddle be flush with the front of the receiver, without interfering with the forend. You'll notice that as it is, the front of the 8 shell side saddle is about 1/2" back from the front of the receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxG3xx View Post

now i just need a surefire light and some kind of sights

heres the total of shells

1 in the chamber
7 in the tube
10 in the but pack all together
8 on the side saddle

26 all together

Last edited by dohboy; 04-14-2010 at 12:30 AM..
Old 04-16-2010, 7:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

nice pictures and nice accessories. i just purchased a vintage Bruce Nelson Combat Leather belt shot shell holder; old school leather. i really like the mesa products though....

-Brady-
Old 04-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

I run a 6 shot Mesa Side saddle on my remington 870 I felt the 8 was WAY to big and in the way. I run 4 shells brass up and 2 brass down for quick breech loading and if I have time to replace the onees I used in the tube I use the ones with brass up. Loading into the breech is extremely easy and fast because I'm a lefty . My gun is pretty much naked besides the side saddle sling and hogue short LOP furniture and it feels great. Weight is perfect gun is VERY short and handy and makes for a good gun for the lady when I'm gone as well.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM

love the mesa side saddle. i went with the six rounder on my 590
Old 04-21-2010, 1:54 PM

I think there are 2 flaws with the mesa systems. I used to have their carriers (3 in all) and then switched to tac-star.

1. In the 2 shotgun classes I took, there was at least one failure of the mesa carrier in each class. Each one involved the front pin screw shearing right off. Apparently the mesa staff said this was because there could not have been loctited properly. (One of the guns was purchased from AIP tactical who I know would not have omitted the loctite process). I had this happen to me as well while shooting slugs at the range and I absolutely loctited mine down. I simply returned mine to the store for credit. The last one happened at a ITTS class 2 weeks ago, a guy's 8 shell carrier sheared right off on the first day.

2. I use my carrier to hold shells while my gun sits in the safe. Mesa does not recommend the carrier for long term storage, as the gel things will deform over time. Thats the last characteristic I want in a carrier...that it wont carry after time. Maybe they have updated their gel things since last year...

They certainly look good, but for real life long term use, I go with the tac-star on the side, and a fabric cuff doohickey on the stock.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Tacstar... Well plastic does loose it's shape over time just as easily if not easier than the mesa. It will eventually become loose and shells will fall out. Mesa is a easy fix they sell the gel insert for a couple bucks and is a easy fix compared to buying a new side saddle.
Old 04-22-2010, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
Tacstar... Well plastic does loose it's shape over time just as easily if not easier than the mesa. It will eventually become loose and shells will fall out. Mesa is a easy fix they sell the gel insert for a couple bucks and is a easy fix compared to buying a new side saddle.
good to know
Old 04-25-2010, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
Not in my experience. I have kept my tacstar saddle loaded up for 7 months no no problems of losing its integrity. And ok great...mesa will replace...but if your shotgun is your GO TO weapon you want your rounds to be there and be there consistently. Going for your shotgun in a life and death situation and you have a mesa and your rounds fall out.... well you are in deep sh-t, but at least you know they have great customer service....

The tacstar is ugly compared to the mesa...and I started out with mesa...but after seeing FIRST hand how often they break after repeated firing, and knowing the problems with the gel insert...I will never use one again. Great if your gun is for looks only or a safe queen...but it you actually use it repeatedly, and want it to retain shells without having to replace components.... go with the cheaper and uglier tacstar...
Old 04-25-2010, 9:12 AM

all this freaking gripe about a 5 minute fix? anyone who is mechanically inclined can fix that problem in the time it takes to complain about it on calguns.

you can seperate the back plate from the shell holder, remove the rubber retainer tube and insert your own, stiffer tube for better shell retention. anything will work really. a wooden dowel, a piece of plastic air or gardening hose (paintball=macroline hose works GREAT) anything that is denser that will provide better retention and last 5x longer. its not like mesa uses a special NASA rubber tube compound for the retention....

as for the front screw small tidbit problem, just go to home depot and get a better screw for 35 cents.

there. both problems fixed for less than a dollar.

Last edited by Ballistic043; 04-25-2010 at 9:20 AM..
Old 04-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic043 View Post
all this freaking gripe about a 5 minute fix? anyone who is mechanically inclined can fix that problem in the time it takes to complain about it on calguns.

you can seperate the back plate from the shell holder, remove the rubber retainer tube and insert your own, stiffer tube for better shell retention. anything will work really. a wooden dowel, a piece of plastic air or gardening hose (paintball=macroline hose works GREAT) anything that is denser that will provide better retention and last 5x longer. its not like mesa uses a special NASA rubber tube compound for the retention....

as for the front screw small tidbit problem, just go to home depot and get a better screw for 35 cents.

there. both problems fixed for less than a dollar.
Again, IMHO its not about how long it will take to fix. It's about whether your shotgun will be ready for action the second you need it. If I follow the above logic, and I still used a mesa carrier, if I heard a window breaking at night, and I reached for my shotgun which has been sitting in the safe for 6 months...all the rounds fall out the mesa carrier....so all I need to do once I use the rounds in the magazine, is to:

"... separate the back plate from the shell holder, remove the rubber retainer tube and insert your own, stiffer tube for better shell retention. anything will work really...."

OR "as for the front screw small tidbit problem, just go to home depot and get a better screw for 35 cents. ..."

I am not saying its not an easy fix....I just dont want to have to fix at all.

I want something that's good-to-go at a moments notice.

Again IMHO the mesa is great if your gun is a safe queen.
Old 04-26-2010, 8:30 AM

well, the way i see it, you have 3 options. fix the problem, go to mesa and have them fix it, or stop griping. because you have the option to fix that before you get 'into action'

nobody is forcing you to sit around with a broken gun until you need to use it.. now you know your options, both of those will make sure your shell holder does not come off, or lose shells.

i am very sorry they can not make perfect shell holders.

but mesa is a very open minded company. why not send them off an email and suggest that they change the shell retention material? it could be that they just arent getting enough complaints to warrant changing it. but if they do, i know for a fact that they will look into changing it. they dont want unhappy customers OR inferior products. if thats what you are or got, they will make it right for you-bottom line

Last edited by Ballistic043; 04-26-2010 at 8:36 AM..
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM

TIE A GROCERY BAG TO YOU TRIGGER GUARD

I use a Tacstar. It's plenty good and only about $35.

Evil Ares SCR Work

Evil Beretta 92FS Work
Old 08-23-2010, 8:21 PM

Default I'm rollin' with the Tacstar too

Quote:
Originally Posted by S11o View Post
TIE A GROCERY BAG TO YOU TRIGGER GUARD

I use a Tacstar. It's plenty good and only about $35.
HA! bet you could fit hellofshells in the GB!

and seriously, your avatar - you as a baby with the fu-man brows and stache...wicked creepy! That's said with respect and hope you receive as a complement...cheers!
Old 09-16-2010, 8:03 PM

[QUOTE=dohboy;4121385]I put the same 8 shell side saddle on my 590A1...

Also...we did some one handed shooting exercises...on the first shot of the gun with my left hand only...the side saddle made a pretty bad cut on my left index finger. Shot it a couple more times with the left hand only and had to get my finger bandaged up...

^This sounds like a perfect excuse to get the mesa stock.
Old 09-17-2010, 4:10 AM
Veteran Member

VELCRO
no pins to fall out, no screws to loose

http://3gungear.corecommerce.com/Sho...de-Saddle-c27/

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA, GSSF, Richmond Rod & Gun, Sunnyvale Rod & Gun

Old 09-17-2010, 8:48 AM
Veteran Member

Okay.. all the side saddle stuff I never really understood.

Why would one need more then 7+1 ?
Old 09-17-2010, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
Okay.. all the side saddle stuff I never really understood.

Why would one need more then 7+1 ?
I have the 8 round mesa for that reason so I can completely fill up my shotty from one location.

For all you guys that mix your brass up and down or leave the brass up if you have different cartridges like slugs up I could see why you would have some up. But in order to reload from a side saddle you need to have the brass down so its in the right orientation for a speed reload w/o wasted movements. Kind of like how you keep your magazines a certain way for consistency so when you grab it from you holster you can put it right into the firearm and don't have to rotate it in the proper orientation.

Here's a video of what I'm talking about one of the ways to reload from a side saddle.

And for the buttstock reload (take note both videos all the brass is down)
Old 09-18-2010, 8:03 AM

I have the tacstar 6 shell side saddle and have no problems with it

brass down, shooting full power 00 buck and none of the shells moved. I can live with that

"I don't know we made brownies. And I think we're dead. Time is going by really really really really slow."

-Former cop, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZb5wi_jsU
Old 09-19-2010, 9:21 AM
Veteran Member

Do the extra shells at the trigger hand cut into u at all?