Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-26-2005, 5:13 PM

Default Dehumidifers

What do you guys use to keep the humidity down in your safe ?? The 14 gun safe I just got came with two big desicant packs which I suppose is OK for now. Are those electric dehumidifer rods any good ??
Old 10-26-2005, 5:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG
What do you guys use to keep the humidity down in your safe ?? The 14 gun safe I just got came with two big desicant packs which I suppose is OK for now. Are those electric dehumidifer rods any good ??
My research on them is that you will get mixed reviews. ~50% will claim they will ruin your guns, and ~50% will claim there are no side effects.

A friend has been using one in his safes for years with no ill effects, so when I bought my safe I picked one up as well. Works great (IMO).

-Tony
Old 10-26-2005, 9:36 PM

Cool

I have a dehumidifier and use desicant packs too. Just to make sure. Works for me.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin
Old 10-27-2005, 8:51 AM

I use silica as well in the "rechargable can" style but I could not find a size big enough for my vault so I made my own. I used (don't laugh--it works!!) 100% pure silica kitty litter in a large can. It cost almost nothing to make and absorbs moisture extremely well. Upside is I can either bake it to recharge it or just relace the silica entirely as the cost is marginal.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTheKid
I use silica as well in the "rechargable can" style but I could not find a size big enough for my vault so I made my own. I used (don't laugh--it works!!) 100% pure silica kitty litter in a large can. It cost almost nothing to make and absorbs moisture extremely well. Upside is I can either bake it to recharge it or just relace the silica entirely as the cost is marginal.
That's what I've heard others doing. I've never had a noticeable humidity problem in the house or safe so I haven't messed with it. I clean my guns regularly and keep'em oiled. So far no problems, but I have been tempted to try the kitty silica just as an added precaution.
Old 10-27-2005, 3:22 PM

Default another silica source

In addition to the all silica kitty litter I heard or read on another forum that piano stores often have giant silica packs as pianos are often shipped with them (and they're thrown out after the uncrating of the piano).. Seems like DIY silica based solutions are common - anyone know of DIY humidity or "wet silica" indicators so you know when to oven dry your homemade dessicant packs?
Old 10-27-2005, 6:28 PM
Veteran Member

I have silica crystals that I use in the garden, but for my safe, I use a Goldenrod.

I'm not always good at remembering to do routine maintenance on time, and I'd feel pretty silly if I forgot to recharge the silica and ended up rusting some stuff. A Goldenrod's not very expensive, and once it's set up, it's good forever.

max