Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-11-2009, 9:42 AM

Default Need help getting started

Hello Gentleman I have decided I am ready for a tacticool rifle but I have no experience with how I can get a cali-legal one. I would like to keep the detachable magazine if possible. other than that I dont really care as long as it is a reliable ar/ak style rifle. how much am I looking at price wise? also where can I get my hands on one of these? any help would be appreciated
Old 03-11-2009, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Unless you go featureless w/ Monsterman or U-15 (AR) you'll have to use a bullet button/raddlock for the maglock.

Saiga ($650)offers detachable mags without BB/raddlock.

M1A ($1700+++), mini-14 ($600-800) and SU-16 ($500-650) also offers detachable magazines without the use of maglocks.

Read up on the flowchart and the different FAQs regarding OLL rifles.
Old 03-11-2009, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_SHARPSHOOTER View Post
Hello Gentleman I have decided I am ready for a tacticool rifle but I have no experience with how I can get a cali-legal one. I would like to keep the detachable magazine if possible. other than that I dont really care as long as it is a reliable ar/ak style rifle. how much am I looking at price wise? also where can I get my hands on one of these? any help would be appreciated
I am not sure if you are aware but it is important to note that a 'fixed' magazine does not mean it is permanently attached to the rifle, it just means that a tool is needed to remove it.
Old 03-11-2009, 9:54 AM

The Saiga 7.62x39 would be a great choice. Its from the Izmash factory in Russia and has a stamped Russian receiver. If you want to keep the detachable mags without a BB then just keep the saiga stock and don't convert it to pistol grip config. It basically looks like an ak with the pistol grip removed and the trigger group moved back. its the most reliable ak variant. Check out Coldwarshooters.com... sometimes they have Saigas in.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

You gotta pay to play!

Black Majik nailed it on the head regarding AK/AR with detachable magazines. The Saiga will probably be the best bet for detachable mags because an AR build require parts that are kinda hard to find especially if you want certain parts (BCM upper or Armalite tactical LPK). But if you are willing to wait and probably pay a little more, an AR build (featureless or not) is still nice to have.

AR's gone through it's final evolution...for now: Precision rig & close encounters
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=460

shuttlecock
Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM

Here's a for-sale add for a Noveske N4 (excellent rifle) which is already built and has been californicated (although this one will definitely need a BB/P50 in order to keep all the "evil" features):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=161733

Doesn't look like it's sold yet...

Also, +1 to Saigas... I have a Saiga .308 and I absolutely love her. You can order your Saiga from DD's Ranch and then have it shipped to your local FFL. DD's has the best prices on Saiga's I've seen. No BB/P50 required for Saiga's in their Out-Of-Box configuration!