Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-10-2009, 8:40 AM

Default AB 357 In Public Saftey Committee

Got the email this morning that AB 357 has been refered to the Public Saftey Committee. Below are the members and their addresses/fax numbers to send letters to:

Jose Solorio - Chair, Anaheim CA

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0069
Tel: (916) 319-2069
Fax: (916) 319-2169

Curt Hagman - Vice Chair, Diamond Bar CA

CAPITOL OFFICE
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-319-2060, 916-319-2160 fax

Warren T. Furutani, Long Beach CA

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0055
(916) 319-2055
(916) 319-2155 Fax

Danny D. Gilmore, Hanford CA

CAPITOL OFFICE
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814
916-319-2030, 916-319-2130 fax

Jerry Hill, San Mateo CA

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0019
Tel: (916) 319-2019
Fax: (916) 319-2119

Fiona Ma, San Francisco CA

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0012
Tel: (916) 319-2012
Fax: (916) 319-2112

Nancy Skinner, Oakland CA

Capitol Office:
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0014
Tel: (916) 319-2014
Fax: (916) 319-2114

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 03-10-2009, 8:48 AM

I will make my calls today at lunch! Thanks for the list.
Old 03-10-2009, 8:52 AM

Curt Hagman sent me a letter in response to me contacting him that he fully supports the bill and will do everything he can to spread the good word.
Old 03-10-2009, 8:54 AM

I've already sent them letters...can't hurt to call them as well.
Old 03-10-2009, 9:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I just got through Faxing them all. I had already e-mailed them all. I think I will call them all later in the day.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 03-10-2009, 9:43 AM
Veteran Member

What are you guys faxing them, i am not good at composing letters yet. My writing isn't too poor, i just am not great at getting a precise message out.

NRA EPL Member
Visit my blogBullets in the Wash
Old 03-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Head Janitor

Anyone have a sample letter/fax for those who are not that creative?
DONATE TO NRA-ILA, CGSSA, AND CRPAF NOW!
Opinions posted in this account are my own and unless specifically stated as such are not the approved position of Calguns.net, CGSSA or CGF.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

If someone can get me in the ball park, i can make it my own, or even post up a template made from that. copy edit print

NRA EPL Member
Old 03-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Talking points, anyone? Don't have time for a lot of research, cliff notes would help.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdabroxx View Post
What are you guys faxing them, i am not good at composing letters yet. My writing isn't too poor, i just am not great at getting a precise message out.
All you need to say is,

Quote:
Please vote yes on AB 357, the CCW reform bill.
That's it! Say more if you want, but that's all that is necessary.

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
The future of California?
Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 AM
I need a LIFE!!

To the Members of the State Safety Committee:

I highly encourage you to give your full support to the passage of Assembly Bill 357.

This bill will finally bring equal protection under the law to the citizens of California who were previously subject to the personal whims and moods of 58 separate county Sheriffs.

The requirement to show “good cause” has been grossly misused by various county Sheriffs for too many years, and the current system is flawed to the point of being useless. For 58 separate individuals to make determinations that certain citizens are more deserving of the right to defend themselves because they hold a particular job, are in a particular income range, or have donated to a re-election campaign is the height of hubris and reeks of an attitude of Aristocracy.

While I do not personally carry large sums of cash, or briefcases full of diamond jewelry, I do have irreplaceable highly valuable commodities, my life and the lives of my family and friends. To be told that a merchant’s daily deposits are more worthy of defense than the lives of my loved ones is a personal insult, a slap in the face.

Assembly Bill 357 will allow law abiding citizens the fundamental right to self defense that has thus far been denied by the State of California.

Pass this bill.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruss01 View Post
Talking points, anyone? Don't have time for a lot of research, cliff notes would help.
Here ya go:

Quote:
Please vote 'yes' on AB 357, the CCW reform bill. You should support this bill because:
  1. It fixes a system which is broken, unfair and discriminatory
  2. It helps California's public safety at no cost
  3. It brings California into compliance with the rest of the country
  4. It directly protects the safety of retired police officers

Those are the main reasons to vote for this bill which is a winner for California.
That should be plenty.

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
Old 03-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

I, ______________, strongly urge you to support AB357.

signed,

that doesnt seem like quite enough, but it may be all that is needed.

edit: you guys got ahead of me.

NRA EPL Member
Old 03-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

I highly encourage you to give your full support to the passage of Assembly Bill 357.

This bill will finally bring equal protection under the law to the citizens of California who were previously subject to the personal whims and moods of 58 separate county Sheriffs.

The requirement to show “good cause” has been grossly misused by various county Sheriffs for too many years, and the current system is flawed to the point of being useless. For 58 separate individuals to make determinations that certain citizens are more deserving of the right to defend themselves because they hold a particular job, are in a particular income range, or have donated to a re-election campaign is the height of hubris and reeks of an attitude of Aristocracy.

While I do not personally carry large sums of cash, or briefcases full of diamond jewelry, I do have irreplaceable highly valuable commodities, my life and the lives of my family and friends. To be told that a merchant’s daily deposits are more worthy of defense than the lives of my loved ones is a personal insult, a slap in the face.

Assembly Bill 357 will allow law abiding citizens the fundamental right to self defense that has thus far been denied by the State of California.

Pass this bill.
I would only add: (1) some mention that this is in re. to concealed weapons permits; (2) that hundreds of different chiefs of police also issue according to their personal whims: and (3) something saying that over the past 20 years 38 states have passed "Shall Issue" CCW laws and none of them have repealled it and none of them experienced any problem by CCW holders. Rather, they have all experienced a decrease in violent crime rates after passage.

Thumbs up!

Charge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Supporting CGF at the expense of supporting NRA is wildly stupid. . . .

Never, ever, ever choose not to be an NRA member.

-Gene
180+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives. Crime Avoidance & Self-Defense Advice
Old 03-10-2009, 10:24 AM
C3 Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Since it is the Committee I'd think an expanded reasoning why to vote for AB 357 would be a good thing for their discussion. May go with the Shall Issue reasons and intent of the Bill so if this comes up in the future its known.

I had already wrote Danny Gilmore a couple times as he is my Rep for 30th District. That he is on the Safety Committee is a surprise.

Vick

"Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more." (George Patton)

Calguns T-shirts, hats and stickers
New eCommerce site is up, if you have any problems with it, let me know.

The Gulag Archipelago - Online read .pdf
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Depending upon how many FAXes they get, the members themselves are highly unlikely to read any individual FAX. They will probably have a staffer seperate them into FOR and AGAINST stacks and depending upon their own views/biases may or may not be moved by the resulting numbers.

However, if they are truly undecided, a stong FOR count may indeed move them to vote for the bill.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decoligny View Post

Pass this bill.

Great letter, I just cut and pasted into a fax and will send to all members. You just saved me tons of time while I'm here at work.

Thanks!
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

sent one just like in post number 17 but added the date at the top and name and signature at the bottom.

NRA EPL Member
Old 03-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It brings California into compliance with the rest of the country
Probably don't want to use 'compliance' - more like 'lets california catch up to the rest of the country'.

Longer letters are probably appropriate if the member is your representative, or if you happen to have met him/her personally.

And send a letter to the committee itself - many times the analysis lists a bunch of supporting/opposing organizations, and at the bottom of the list is "X private citizens".

Let's make X large this time.

Committee Fax (916) 319-3745

Secretary: Sue Highland.

Assembly Public Safety Committee
State Capitol
1020 N Street, Room 111
Sacramento, CA

Probably '94249' but I'm having trouble pinning that down.

Assembly rules say no action can be taken on a bill until it has been in print for 30 days (in theory, legislators would get to read them - ha!).

Public Safety meets once per week, 9 am on Tuesdays. They're supposed to be done by 4, because another committee has the room at 4.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 03-10-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM

Here is what I wrote and Faxed all the members of the committee and my assemblywomen:

I wholeheartedly urge your full and total support for AB 357. It is time that the law abiding California Citizen be given the same RIGHT to self-defense as the politically connected and the rich. It is time that a law abiding citizen can be enabled to legally carry a concealed weapon for the protection of his/her person and his/her family without the prerequisite of owning a business, depositing large amounts of money into the bank, or into the sheriff's campaign fund. My family’s safety is worth more than any bank deposit or political contribution. California is one of the 10 states left in the United States that does not let their law abiding citizens carry concealed weapons for self defense. If the other 40 states grant their citizens this right, why should California deny it? After all, we as California citizens are always proud of the fact that California is on the cutting edge of legislation, paving the way and being a role model for other states. If it can pass cutting edge legislation for one issue, it seems that California should not block legislation that the other 80% of the other states say is ok. Please vote in favor of this bill. Please co-sponsor this bill. Please do everything within your power to see that this bill becomes law.

I think it is pretty good.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_X_123 View Post
Here is what I wrote and Faxed all the members of the committee and my assemblywomen:

I wholeheartedly urge your full and total support for AB 357. [P] It is time that the law abiding California Citizen be given the same RIGHT to self-defense as the politically connected and the rich. It is time that a law abiding citizen can be enabled to legally carry a concealed weapon for the protection of his/her person and his/her family without the prerequisite of owning a business, depositing large amounts of money into the bank, or into the sheriff's campaign fund. My family’s safety is worth more than any bank deposit or political contribution.[P] California is one of the 10 states left in the United States that does not let their law abiding citizens carry concealed weapons for self defense. If the other 40 states grant their citizens this right, why should California deny it? After all, we as California citizens are always proud of the fact that California is on the cutting edge of legislation, paving the way and being a role model for other states. If it can pass cutting edge legislation for one issue, it seems that California should not block legislation that the other 80% of the other states say is ok. [P] Please vote in favor of this bill. Please co-sponsor this bill. Please do everything within your power to see that this bill becomes law.

I think it is pretty good.
I think it is, too. I hope you put in some [P] paragraph breaks, though.

The only thing left out is that the experience in every state, even California, is that CCW holders are very unlikely to commit violent crimes - far less likely than an 'average' person, since they have passed background checks, received some legal training in the use of their weapons, and have proven themselves particularly law-abiding by getting a license.

the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I gather Solario is no friend of ours.
In Pennsylvania Your permit to carry concealed is called a License to carry fire arms. Other states call it a CCW. In New Jersey it's called a crime.
Discretionary Issue is the new Separate but Equal.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
I think it is, too. I hope you put in some [P] paragraph breaks, though.
I did, it did not get copied over when i cut and paisted it.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowfin2 View Post
I gather Solario is no friend of ours.
i highly doubt he is.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A

In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-10-2009, 1:02 PM

I agree with all that is being put forth.

Politics is " spin" and we need to spin the budget aspect.

No change in budget required and most probably, will produce more revenue for the state.......given current conditions in SAC and our POS legislature, the budget aspect may sway a few things..
Old 03-10-2009, 1:36 PM

Anyone know how long this will be a topic of review for the Safety Committee?
Old 03-10-2009, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_donald_ View Post
I was just wondering the same thing. I have no idea how to find that out though.

Ceasar Chavez was against illegal immigration....
Old 03-10-2009, 2:07 PM

Default OK, so here's my version......

.....I copied a few different ideas and added my own points
Quote:

This bill will finally bring equal protection under the law to the citizens of California. Citizens who were previously subject to the personal whims and moods of fifty-eight separate county Sheriffs, and hundreds of different Chiefs of Police.

The requirement to show “good cause” has been grossly misused by various county Sheriffs for too many years, as many Chiefs of Police simply do not issue or let the Sheriffs “handle” the workload. As mostly only the Sheriffs “deal with” this workload, for fifty-eight separate individuals to make determinations that certain citizens are more deserving of the right to defend themselves because they: hold a particular job, are in a particular income range, or have donated to a re-election campaign reeks of an attitude of Aristocracy.

Over an approximate twenty year span, thirty-eight states have passed “Shall Issue” Carrying a Concealed Weapon (CCW) laws and none of these states have repealed them or experienced a hike in crime from CCW holders. Rather, they have experienced a decrease in violent crime rates after passage. Assembly Bill 357 will allow law abiding citizens the fundamental right to self defense that has thus far been denied by the State of California.

Historically, economic crisis has resulted in increased crime rates. We are only looking at a matter of time before crime finds its way to our doorsteps. Specific to California, budget cuts to law enforcement are leaving law-abiding citizens exposed and vulnerable. Will you allow us all to be handicapped by the interpretation of the law as it stands?

Please vote in favor of this bill. Please co-sponsor this bill. Please do everything within your power to see that this bill becomes law.

Your support of citizen's rights speaks volumes about your character.

Respectfully,

Insert Name Here
Ordinary Concerned Citizen
Insert County Here, CA
I'm a little long-winded at times, but I really get sick to my stomach with how CCW is handled here, especially living in Orange County.
Old 03-10-2009, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BigPea View Post
Great letter, I just cut and pasted into a fax and will send to all members. You just saved me tons of time while I'm here at work.

Thanks!
Its a good letter.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 03-10-2009, 2:16 PM

Quote:
.....I copied a few different ideas and added my own points

I'm a little long-winded at times, but I really get sick to my stomach with how CCW is handled here, especially living in Orange County.
That's a pretty good letter. I noticed that you didn't specifically include Hutchins, but I suppose that would have made it even more long winded. I personally think long winded letters are better, because even though they are only going to read the first line ("Please vote yes on AB357"), it shows that we've put some thought and effort into it.
Old 03-10-2009, 2:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I might also add to any correspondence that the California Constitution:
CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION
ARTICLE 1 DECLARATION OF RIGHTS

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have
inalienable rights.
Among these are enjoying and defending life and
liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing
and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.
And...

That Law Enforcement has No Obligation to protect any individual. Warren v. District of Columbia.

in a time of budget deficits, terrorist threat and economic uncertianty we are obligated to protect ourselves and take as much responsibility for our own safety at a time when the system is overwhelmed. WE honest, trained and vetted citizens are just the ones you want to be able to assist law enforcement in times of need.

And remind them that they took an oath to protect and defend the state and national constitutions.
Old 03-10-2009, 2:48 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's hard to tell.

They may hold a hearing on it, love it, and immediately vote to send it on (probably to Appropriations).

Now that we're done laughing at that ...

They may hate it, vote to kill it on party lines, and refuse to vote again.

They may hear testimony and delay a vote.

They may hear testimony and amend the bill and re-schedule for hearing.

They may shove it off to suspense and just let it die there without an up or down vote.

It may get hearings scheduled and canceled and postponed until the author gives up.

It may pass out of committee, and the Speaker re-appoint some more reliable Dems to Public Safety, and Appropriations will return it to Public Safety, where it will be killed. (That's happened.)

Too many variables to even guess today, except that the first one I wrote seems to me to be pretty unlikely.

Old 03-10-2009, 3:04 PM
Super Moderator

So, I was wondering. Do we want to create a 'bumper-sticker' or 2-second TV quote version of an argument?

The advantages would be brevity and recognition and ubiquity, if we worked on it. It'd be good for signs and email .sigs and real bumper stickers.

It would need to be easy to remember, and thoroughly overstated, and emotionally based.
"Fair play for ALL Californians!"

"My kids need to be safe!"

"When I really need a cop, I'm the one who's there!"

The Pink Pistols' motto: "Armed gays don't get bashed!"

"If it saves just one life..."
Do we have any real wordsmiths?

Old 03-10-2009, 3:10 PM

I'll be sending out a flurry of faxes to the committee and all of the members tomorrow. I really hope all others on this board will do the same.
Old 03-10-2009, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

Finally had time to write something. Plagarized shamelessly from another poster, added my own tweaks:

The majority of states currently have “shall issue” concealed carry systems in place, and in every case they have benefited public safety in the state where they have been introduced. California has a concealed carry permit system that is badly broken and behind the times. It is time we fixed it. In a day and age when budget constraints mandate the layoff of parole officers and the release of prison inmates, a heightened focus on personal security is incumbent upon us all.

This bill will finally bring equal protection under the law to the citizens of California who were previously subject to the personal whims and moods of 58 separate county Sheriffs. In some cases, the right to personal protection outside one’s home has been turned into a privilege to be granted to the connected, powerful and wealthy. California can do better, and AB 357 is a big step in the right direction.

The requirement to show “good cause” has been grossly misused by various county Sheriffs for too many years, and the current system is flawed to the point of being useless. For 58 separate individuals to make determinations that certain citizens are more deserving of the right to defend themselves because they hold a particular job, are in a particular income range, or have donated to a re-election campaign is the height of hubris and reeks of an attitude of elitism. We need a system that is fair and protects all law-abiding Californians equally.

Assembly Bill 357 will remove politics, classism and favoritism from the process of law-abiding Californians acquiring a permit to facilitate the lawful protection of themselves and their loved ones.

Please pass this bill. Thank you.
Old 03-10-2009, 3:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I'll be sending out a flurry of faxes to the committee and all of the members tomorrow. I really hope all others on this board will do the same.
Don't just fax, send letters!

I called up Fiona Ma, assemblywoman of SF, and her office basically hung up on me.

I called some of the other and they said they are starting to get noticeable calls, all in favor of course.

It's great!

I hope we bury their offices in a mountain of letters, representing the outpouring of our frustration after years and years of suffering in this state.

Exposing Leftists
Zomblog
Old 03-10-2009, 3:14 PM
Veteran Member

I cannot get a fax through. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 03-10-2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
Your hopes are not in vain, I will be doing the same.
Old 03-10-2009, 3:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanson View Post
I agree with all that is being put forth.

Politics is " spin" and we need to spin the budget aspect.

No change in budget required and most probably, will produce more revenue for the state.......given current conditions in SAC and our POS legislature, the budget aspect may sway a few things..
BINGO!

I couldn't agree more, I think the best sales pitch for this is the revenue. Yes we here are all gun toting 2nd Amen supporters, most of these politicians aren't and could careless about the stats of public safety. What they do care about is money.
Old 03-10-2009, 3:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the phone numbers and pre-written letters. Everyone was faxed
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12