Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 09-30-2015, 5:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Colt DA 38

Just figured I'd pull this old girl out and get a pic of her.

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 09-30-2015, 6:11 PM
Veteran Member

Looks awesome!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 09-30-2015, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks Dennis. I haven't shot her yet. I've heard you can load light loads in 38 Spc brass, so I need to find some oversize boolits for it, as the bore seems pretty... uh, accommodating would be a good word

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 09-30-2015, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
I've heard you can load light loads in 38 Spc brass, so I need to find some oversize boolits for it, as the bore seems pretty... uh, accommodating would be a good word
Correctly sized and marked 38 Long Colt brass is available http://www.midwayusa.com/product/941...s-38-long-colt

Correct bullets are also available http://gadcustomcartridges.com/#cast

Best States for Gun Owners 2015

Freedom in the 50 States

Quote:
Both chambers of the California legislature have been dominated by the Democratic Party since 1959 except from 1969 to 1971 when the Republican Party held both chambers and from 1994 to 1996, when Republicans briefly held a majority in the Assembly.
Old 09-30-2015, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

Cool revolver Brian. Hope you're able to get some ammo made made up soon so you can shoot it.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:37 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enfield47 View Post
Cool revolver Brian. Hope you're able to get some ammo made made up soon so you can shoot it.
Thanks, I'm kind of confused now... I thought this thing was 38 LC but now I am thinking it is 38 SPC as it has a small lip at the end of the cylinder. According to the serial they were transitioning from LC to SPC right around this same time. I'm going to hold off on doing anything until I find out for sure, but I do have the LC cases Milsurp Collector linked to sitting in my shopping cart along with a set of Lee carbide dies! I didn't want to spend another $50 just for something I am going to shoot only as a novelty. I've got way too many of those as it is.

I'll post up a target when I get it all sorted out... hopefully the bullet holes will be round and not rectangles!!

Quote:
Old 10-01-2015, 1:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can shoot 38 Long Colt in a 38 Special revolver, so if you make ammo with that 38 Long Colt brass you can use it no matter which cartridge that revolver is chambered for.

Freedom in the 50 States

Quote:
Both chambers of the California legislature have been dominated by the Democratic Party since 1959 except from 1969 to 1971 when the Republican Party held both chambers and from 1994 to 1996, when Republicans briefly held a majority in the Assembly.
Old 10-01-2015, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milsurp Collector View Post
You can shoot 38 Long Colt in a 38 Special revolver, so if you make ammo with that 38 Long Colt brass you can use it no matter which cartridge that revolver is chambered for.
My point is that it appears it is chambered for 38spc, which I already have thousands of cases for, and dies. I have no desire to buy more dies and cases for another cartridge, especially when I don't have a 38 colt.

Quote:

Last edited by Flyin Brian; 10-01-2015 at 6:59 PM..
Old 10-01-2015, 6:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My point is that it is chambered for 38spc, which I already have thousands of cases for, and dies. I have no desire to buy more sites and cases for another cartridge, especially when I don't have a 38 colt.
.38 Special will chamber in it, but the cylinder is too thin for the cartridge. It is for .38 Long Colt. I suggest that you find a load that is comparable to .38 Colt from .38 Special.
Old 10-01-2015, 6:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Nice old revolver - I hope you get the ammo situation squared away and post a range report.
Old 10-01-2015, 7:06 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emdawg View Post
.38 Special will chamber in it, but the cylinder is too thin for the cartridge. It is for .38 Long Colt. I suggest that you find a load that is comparable to .38 Colt from .38 Special.
Ok, well that contradicts what I am being told on the colt collector forum. I originally thought this was chambered in 38LC but after looking up the serial it was determined to be 38 special. That and the fact that it has a ridge at the front of the cylinder bores is an indication that it is chambered in 38 special.

Quote:
Old 10-02-2015, 9:43 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ok, well that contradicts what I am being told on the colt collector forum. I originally thought this was chambered in 38LC but after looking up the serial it was determined to be 38 special. That and the fact that it has a ridge at the front of the cylinder bores is an indication that it is chambered in 38 special.
I have seen one mention on the Internet of late production Colt New Army & Navy revolvers being chambered in .38 Special, but I don't know where they got that information, nor do I know where the people on that Colt forum got their information. Neither of my references (The Book of Colt Firearms and Handguns of the World) mentions anything about those revolvers being chambered in .38 Special.

Both of my Colt New Army revolvers have ridges inside the end of the cylinder bores, so I don't know if that really means anything.

To me the cost of some reloading dies - $32 - and some correctly headstamped brass - $19.29 - is a relatively small investment when making ammo to shoot in an old revolver worth hundreds or even >1,000 dollars. As that Colt Fever web site points out

Quote:
These Colt's have extremely complex actions that get out of order or break easily. Due to a lack of usable parts and few gunsmiths willing to even attempt repairs, these guns should be treated very gently.
so I think it is worthwhile to not take any chances shooting .38 Special in any of these revolvers. You won't go wrong sticking with .38 Long Colt, and the cost of the dies and brass is low relative to the value of the revolver.

Freedom in the 50 States

Quote: