Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-19-2005, 7:10 PM

Default Cowboy Action Shooting

Does anyone here done any Cowboy Action Shooting? How do you get started?
Old 10-20-2005, 3:07 AM

At one of the ranges I shoot at I observed an informal orientation shoot (not on a match day) that walked a newbie through an abridged set of stages at a leisurely pace. It also included a discussion about rules and equipment. The SASS website probably has a link for finding a local club:

http://www.sassnet.com/
Old 10-20-2005, 9:16 AM

They shoot this at Richmond Rod & Gun Club, in the SF Bay area. I watched one practice, and one match. It looks like a blast.

It's on my Resolutions list for 2006. A mite expensive in that I need all four guns, I don't have anything but the boots.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:54 PM

I shot SASS for about a year it was great fun but a little expensive because of the costuming needed for my classifacation (classic cowboy) I stopped because I needed to concintrate on one thing and I chose IPSC. I would reccomend Sass as lots of fun just steer clear of the politics. The "gamer" vs traditional has gotten hot in the past.

Tom
NRA Endowment Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Ruger Armorer
Remington Armorer
Sig Armorer
Firearms Instructor
Old 10-21-2005, 4:42 AM

I just started. Not too bad on expense if you watch the Sass classifieds. Stuff comes up. normally you can expect to get in to the game for about 1800 total. I got in a lot less cause I was willing to wait.

Read about it, choose your catagory (I too chose Traditional) and go to matches, even if youre not shooting. Most folks there will let you use their guns..really..its THAT kind of group. Careful..you might get hooked and start talking "cowboy"
Old 10-21-2005, 7:34 AM

pksman, What is your approx location? I've been shooting CAS for about ten years and it is a blast. I do have my sites set on IDPA.
Anyway, to answer your question...as XLIV said, "Read about it, choose your catagory (I too chose Traditional) and go to matches, even if youre not shooting." Talk to folks. Send a pm and I'll get you my number. I shoot in NorCal, but started in SoCal and can connect you with some really good people in either area. CAS folks are always willing to help a new shooter. I've had world champions give me unsolicited advice. Can that be said for all shooting competitions? Hopefully, IDPA. That last question may cause a rukus? As far as expense, there are ways to pick up equipment and clothing through fellow shooters and thrift stores at a minimal cost, really. I've a gun cart and holster rig on the block. The hardest part of CAS is picking your alias.
Let me know.

Cutter(alias: Cutter Luce)
Old 08-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIV View Post
Most folks there will let you use their guns..really..its THAT kind of group. Careful..you might get hooked and start talking "cowboy"
I went to watch and found this to be true...now i'm looking for a pair of single action Rugers.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Kind of a twist on Cowboy action shooting, the Desperadoes are in the Pismo Beach area this weekend. Just got done watching them this morning. They combine shooting pistols and rifles with riding horseback. They set up different courses and run the horse through the course while shooting different colored balloons with wax blanks. There is a tremendous amount of skills required to balance the control of the horse, speed, and shooting ability. I have never participated in it, but I thoroughly enjoy watching it and am always amazed at how easy some riders and horses make it look. It seems to be a husband/wife kind of activity as there seems to be just as many women as men.

P.S. shoot me an email if you need directions. I will call you back and direct you.

Old 08-21-2010, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksman View Post
Does anyone here done any Cowboy Action Shooting? How do you get started?
Your location would be helpful, but if you are in Sacramento area point your web browser to http://sacvalley.org and go to the clubs page. There is a SASS affiliated club shoot every weekend, with a few exceptions, at our range. Sutter Lawman can get you lined out, call the range and ask for him, he usually works Mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post
Sacramento would declare martial law sooner than they'd meet with Gandhi, Gautama Budda, and Jesus Christ if the three were packing heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Even people not from San Francisco can appreciate a good public spanking like this.
WANTED: G19. New or near new condition in Sacramento area.
Old 09-16-2010, 6:54 AM

There's a new Cowboy Action Shooting Club starting up in Morgan Hill CA. We shoot on the second Saturday of the month. We have 2 stages set up with room for 4 more. We are in the process of building our town. We currently have a saloon, bank, water tower and stage coach and a sheriff's office/registration building. All of our loading tables have overhead covers. We will have lots of cowboy town silloettes throughout. We are located at the Coyote Valley Sporting Clays facility. For further information you can reach me at manrubia2@aol.com or (408) 722-0583
Bad Eye Bobolu
Coyote Valley Cowboys
Old 09-16-2010, 10:53 AM

waking the dead? OP was 5 years ago

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolu View Post
There's a new Cowboy Action Shooting Club starting up in Morgan Hill CA. We shoot on the second Saturday of the month. We have 2 stages set up with room for 4 more. We are in the process of building our town. We currently have a saloon, bank, water tower and stage coach and a sheriff's office/registration building. All of our loading tables have overhead covers. We will have lots of cowboy town silloettes throughout. We are located at the Coyote Valley Sporting Clays facility. For further information you can reach me at manrubia2@aol.com or (408) 722-0583
Bad Eye Bobolu
Coyote Valley Cowboys
I am definatly interested. Im just starting to collect my guns. Tomorrow im going to pick up my cimmaron model p. Im going to take my time and wait for some deals.
Old 11-15-2010, 8:34 PM

I was at the SASS event at Coyote Valley Sporting Clays this past saturday. I just watched as I am still getting all of my gear together, but it looks like a lot of fun. I already have a SxS shotgun, two 1858 Remington C&B revolvers and will be getting a 1873 Lever Action Rifle soon. Depending on the class you shoot in, the clothing will not be to expensive. I already have 90% of the clothing as I also do Civil War reenacting and most of the clothes are the same.
Old 11-17-2010, 8:39 AM

I heard nothing but good about the Coyote Valley shoot from the Sunnyvale guys on Monday. Since I first shot clays out there a couple years ago, I'd been thinking "this would be a great place for a CAS match!"
Sorry I just couldn't make it.
But I'll hopefully be at the next one.
Anyone in the Peninsula area should also come check out the Sunnyvale Regulators on the first and third Mondays at the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club. PM me if you'd like details.
Old 01-25-2011, 3:08 PM

Smile Faultline Shootist society

For those that live in San Benito, Monterey and Santa Cruz Counties and all points south, We are Faultline Shootist Society, a SASS Cowboy Action Shooting Club. We shoot at the beautiful Monterey County Swiss Rifle Club on the 4th Sunday of every month. We shoot 4-5 stages with a More Better Mulligan and afterwards we will feed you a Hot Dog or Hamburger while we sit and visit with old friends and new ones. So if you want to play cowboy, come join us. Registration starts at 8:00 am and start shootin at 9:00, so come on down and join us. We'd love to have you. Give me a call at 831-635-9147 or visit our web site at WWW.faultlineshootistsociety.org:)

Last edited by Querida; 01-25-2011 at 3:15 PM..
Old 01-25-2011, 5:25 PM

Default SASS

I don't shoot as much SASS as I used to now that I'm also shooting IDPA, USPSA and ICORE. I am going to Phoenix at the end of February for the national championships, Winter Range. It's sold out with over 750 shooters for the main match. Mark
Old 01-25-2011, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
I don't shoot as much SASS as I used to now that I'm also shooting IDPA, USPSA and ICORE. I am going to Phoenix at the end of February for the national championships, Winter Range. It's sold out with over 750 shooters for the main match. Mark
Good luck at Winter Range!